Ultrafly P40 Build - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Ultrafly P40 Build

Old 01-21-2007, 02:56 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Looks like your P-47 pilot likes what he sees...
didn't notice that! He must be looking for someone to fly with!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 AM
barmonkey

Now that I am thinking about it...The E-flite P-47 pilot may just be the correct size for the P-40. He certainly looks too small in his original ride.

Hopefully I can get started on my P-40 soon. Just got the maiden in on my Parkzone FW-190...the GWS-38 can wait. And so can the GWS-262...of course I'll have to finish my Me109...but I will throw together the Pico Stick-F when it arrives...and refrain from getting that Electrifly Fokker DVII...
Old 01-21-2007, 04:29 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Now that I am thinking about it...The E-flite P-47 pilot may just be the correct size for the P-40. He certainly looks too small in his original ride.

Hopefully I can get started on my P-40 soon. Just got the maiden in on my Parkzone FW-190...the GWS-38 can wait. And so can the GWS-262...of course I'll have to finish my Me109...but I will throw together the Pico Stick-F when it arrives...and refrain from getting that Electrifly Fokker DVII...
Oooh. My Dad and I want to get the two bi-planes. He likes the Fokker and I like the other. So we have a perfect dogfight.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

OK, last post for tonight.

I figured out the firewall/motor location. I was going to use some 1/8" spacers to move the motor out a little, but I like the nice short woodscrews that come in the Park BL box. So I cut some other pieces of firewall from the scrap and glued them in the place the screws will go. I should be able to drill it and mount the motor in the morning when the glue has had a good chance to dry.

While I was waiting for this firewall mod to set-up, I painted the exhaust with some metallic silver paint. I guess some form of black or rust would have worked, but I like the way the silver turned out. The camera flash really reflects it. It's cool paint. It can look almost flat gray until you get some light on it and it lights up in a reflective way. It should set the front of the plane off a bit anyway.

The only other thing I did was spackle the mold mark in the vertical stab. There are a bunch of those "nipples" that you get on some of the GWS planes, but they looked like rivets so I left them (and the rest of the paint) alone. I'll have to sand and paint-match as best I can tomrrow. I think it will look better than having that giant divot in one side of the stab.

So I should be able to button up the fuse tomorrow morning and then move on to the wing and tail.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	22455   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	22456   Click image for larger version

Name:	vert_fill.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	22457  
Old 01-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looking good Andy. Thanks for doing this thread. I'm sure it will be a big help to the rest of us when we get to ours.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:05 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Looking good Andy. Thanks for doing this thread. I'm sure it will be a big help to the rest of us when we get to ours.
I think I need to do these things anyway ...kind of like thinking outloud. But you are welcome just the same.

I figured my first real obstacle tonight while reading ahead. The spinner, which is pretty odd in size (like 2 and 1/8"), has the screws on the back of the base plate. There is no way to get to them once the whole thing is on the motor. The frio seems to come with a set-scew prop adapter, so I guess you can wedge a small driver between the fuse and spinner. I have an eflite adapter like that but it doesn't spin true. Not to mention the set-screw will most certainly be in a bad location.

Time to start looking for options.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:16 AM
barmonkey

The motor choice is my main hang-up on starting this kit. I originally wanted to try a 3-blade prop...but then I would lose the nice pointy spinner. Also like you have noticed, the spinner can't be used with anything but the Frio prop adapter. I do have a Frio 10/10 and a Frio 10/12 but I don't know that they will be enough for this plane...actually I am sure it will fly it but unsure if I will get the performance I am looking for.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:57 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Ah, see, you were smart enough o look ahead before the build! I remember having this type of problem on some other planes and finding the Dubro spinners to be way too heavy to be used on an electric. I have a box of different colored 1 1/2" and 2" ones that I'm sure I'll never use.

I guess this is where you start working on another plane right!?

Well see what it looks like with fresh eyes this morning.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hi Andy,

I'll take your spinners. I have Dubro spinners on all my warbirds.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

We may be able to work something out. I guess I need to see how this build goes first. I hate to agonize over the weight, but when the stock spinner weighs 18g, it sucks to have to add back another 5g for the Dubro. And it is only 2", so slightly smaller.

I also have a rounded P51 spinner off my Alfa. It is light! only 10g. So less than half the weight of the Dubro (almost half an ounce lighter!!!). You can't ignore that. And I am guessing that the weight on the motor is going to eat my power up too, so it's kind of a double-lose, right!?

I'm shopping for a lighter 2" spinner now. If I can find one, I'll go with that. If not, it looks like I'll use one of the ones I have.

Everything else is turning out nicely though. I should be able to mount the motor and seal the fuse this morning.

Tom:
I also just heard about my P47. It is going in for glass now. I think the build is done. Roger was trying to get it in the mail by mid-February. Then I get to break out the airbrush. He said it weighs almost nothing. I think 8 oz all-up. He said the wing can't weigh more than 3 oz. So glass and primer will take that number up a bit, but he is happy with it. I'd love to keep that to 16 oz AUW, but it seems in my head to be coming in closer to 18. Not too bad I guess.

Name:	sanded vert.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	22502  
Old 01-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I'm really anxious to see the P-47 (and the P-40) I'll bet the pucker factor is high on the P-47 maiden.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:20 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Great thread.

The spinner has a few people stumped.

Just started to mess with the FW-190 then Ill move on to the P-40

Take Care!!

Tommy D
Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
Great thread.

The spinner has a few people stumped.

Just started to mess with the FW-190 then Ill move on to the P-40

Take Care!!

Tommy D
Good to know it's not just me.

I like your paint job. I'm an airbrush noob too!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
kahloq

Alienx....dubro does have an aluminum backplate type spinner in 2" and 2 1/4" sizes. They are lighter then the full plastic versions. In any event...I used a 2" 3-blade Dubro spinner on my P-40 and I think it looks fine. The weight wasn't a concern on my plane so much. I'm using the E-flite Park 480-910 outrunner, so have plenty of grunt to turn a 3-blade prop and spinner.
I found the included hardware to be fine. The pushrods for the ailerons will be massively cutdown anyways...like 1/10th the size they come as in the box.
My AUW is 24.3oz. Ultrafly states flying weight as 22.7oz. So, not bad at all, especially with heavier motor, heavier prop(9x7x3 MAS), heavier spinner, lots of paint, rubber tail wheel instead of the plastic kit thing, EZ connectors instead of "L" bends, HS65 for elev and HS55's for ailerons and rudder....plus added in some hinge gap tape and some aluminum foil tape to cover the bottom wing channels.

wing loading is exactly 16oz per sq foot. Not too bad really.

Notice on one or two of the pics, you can see the top of the nose scoop is made functional. I made a channel in the foam to direct air right on top of the motor.
The motor pic shows Park 480 with some 1/8" spacers from the firewall. Used the inner most firewall location and the spinner is right up against the front of the cowl with just enough space to not grind

Painted the plane a darker color then stock as well. Also painted the exhaust stacks copper with some transparant black over it.

Trying to make mine look more like the Pearl Harbor variants then China AVG

Name:	100_0432.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	22553   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0431.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	22554   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0427.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	22555   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0430.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	22556   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0423.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	22557  

Old 01-22-2007, 06:27 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

It looks good. I remember seeing your scoop mod earlier.

I'm not agonizing over the spinner anymore. I have a 2" Dubro that looks great. Worst case, I use that and eat the 5 grams.

I had to put my model aside for a while last night though. I got hung up trying to find a combination of spacers that would line the 450 up properly to the nose. Couldn't do it. So I walked away before being stupid!! My original set-up with the scrap firewall pieces left me rubbing the nose. But 1/8 spacers were too much more (plus I didn't have the right screws to hold it safely). So it beat me for the night!

I'm going to move on to the wing and tail while I figure out my motor mount for the second time later in the week.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that is the beauty of this plane. A bucnh of us got them and we will all come up with different approaches to getting it in the air. It should be interesting to see how they all fly with different power set-ups and whatnot. Oh yea, mine is going to be gearless. I hope that doesn't pose another build problem to solve ...

Good luck on the maiden.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
kahloq

The spacers I used came out of an e-flite stick mount adapter. You might try that. The package has two different sizes included if I remember right. Obviosuly I didnt use a stick mount on this plane...but didnt need the spacers on something else.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
The spacers I used came out of an e-flite stick mount adapter. You might try that. The package has two different sizes included if I remember right. Obviosuly I didnt use a stick mount on this plane...but didnt need the spacers on something else.
Yea, I tried those. They are very nice because they are narrow. But they didn't work. I also tried some plastic 1/8" ones from HL. I have some washers too. Somewhere in there is the magic number! I just need some longer screws now. I was barely touching the firewall.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 PM
kahloq

I ended up using some standard pointy tip screws long enough out of regualr hardware as you can see in the motor pic. I then cut the tips off once affixed to the firewall. Used some locktite so they cant back out and also a touch of CA on the back side of the firewall where they come through at.

BTW...the 450 is shorter obviously then the 480 so maybe try using the inner most firewall location and try using two sets of the spacers. Then use standard wall tip screws to secure to firewall or some thin hex head bolts with nylon locknuts on the other end.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

I ended up using some standard pointy tip screws long enough out of regualr hardware as you can see in the motor pic. I then cut the tips off once affixed to the firewall. Used some locktite so they cant back out and also a touch of CA on the back side of the firewall where they come through at.

BTW...the 450 is shorter obviously then the 480 so maybe try using the inner most firewall location and try using two sets of the spacers. Then use standard wall tip screws to secure to firewall or some thin hex head bolts with nylon locknuts on the other end.
I'm going to have to go get some screws at the harware store. But I like that CA idea! That should be a little safer than just piercing that light ply firewall.

I tried both firewall locations and almost bailed to the stick, but it was pretty tight up against the top of the plane. This is about where I gave up.

I think I am going to shave some 1/4" balsa down to see exactly what thickness I need on the spacer. It is someplace between 1/8" and 1/4", but not actually either one unfortunately.

It doesn't look like we have any good weather coming back for a while, so maybe this isn't a big deal. I just want to get the fuse glued up to see what it all looks like.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM
kahloq

If the spinner is right up nio the nose of the plane, use the spaces we've talked about and also use a thin washer as well. This should give you some clearance. If needed use two washers as well as spacer.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

If the spinner is right up nio the nose of the plane, use the spaces we've talked about and also use a thin washer as well. This should give you some clearance. If needed use two washers as well as spacer.
I think the spacer and two washers might be the ticket. But I moved on to something scarier ...trying to get the wing spar in.

I've never done this (but it reminds me of wrestling with the torque rods in my GWS Corsair!!!).

I glued up one side first using Gorilla glue. If this is wrong, I'm screwed. The first half seems to be easy. I think it is going to be a bear trying to get the second half to stay in the channel!!

Here's a couple shots. This was my first motor mount set-up. It's a shame the distance was off. This was a nice, clean set-up.

Also, the wing-spar in half the channel. I layed the stock fiberglass rod and the 3mm carbon fiber rod off the edge of a bar stool and the fiberglass rod had about an inch more bow or drop towards the end. I guess this isn't a fair test because it actually weighed more. The CF rod ended up being 4.5g while the fiberglass rod was 10g. Every bit helps I guess.

Last shot is the 2" Dubro spinner base-plate on the back of the stock spinner. The wide part of the Dubro is the actual 2" diameter. You can see the stock spinner is a little wider, but not quite 2.25". No matter. As you can see in Kahlog's pics, 2" is fine!

Time to go see if the Gorilla glue forced the spar out of the channel ...

Name:	motor mounted.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	22600   Click image for larger version

Name:	spar1.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	22601   Click image for larger version

Name:	spinner backplate.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	22602  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Made a little more progress tonight. I am happy to have been able to figure out the motor mount gap finally! It took a combo of one 1/8" spacer and one APC prop-hub insert. I had some odd screws in the parts box that seemed to be just made for the job. Go figure!

I glued the other half of the wing spar in. It was relatively uneventful. I slipped off the spar twice with the balsa pushrod I was using to bury the spar in the channel. This left a couple dents in the foam, but not too bad all things considered. The gorilla glue seems to have done a nice job. Glad I didn't have to fill that channel with epoxy!

I was also agonizing over the ESC today. The plane has a giant bay to house just about whatever electronics you cared to put in, So this one should be a treat to set up. I was worried though about the 4 servos. After a couple of quick posts though, I remembered the E-flite 20 amp is now in version 2 form. This new one has dual BEC circuits and is meant to handle 4 servos (at least). So I ordered one. The added benefit of this one is that it has the motor sockets on the ESC itself instead of on leads. This should help keep the wires neater and still leave plenty of reach to the battery and receiver.

That's it for tonight. I glued one half of the firewall in with epoxy so I have less to deal with when I try to seal-up the fuse. I really want to use that GWS glue and I think this will help keep things a little simpler.

Incidentally, take a look at the thickness of the foam in the front-end of the plane. It is THICK. I think you could carve a fair bit of it if you had the patience. But I'm not going to bother.

Name:	firewall mounted.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	22655   Click image for larger version

Name:	spar2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	22656   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor mounted 2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	22657  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Only did a little tonight. I need epoxy!

I glued up the fuse halves with the servos and motor installed. I used the GWS glue. It worked pretty well. It's nice not to have to watch some TV while you are holding the parts to wait for the epoxy to set-up.

I took a couple shots to show the 2" Dubro spinner. I'm married to it now for better or worse (so to speak). That is, I could probably take the motor out and jockey the spacers a little, but that would be very difficult. The only thing on this plane that seems not to have a tremedous amount of clearance around is the motor. So if I swap the spinner, I'm sure it will be tough to find a backplate offset that matches this one.

The only other thing I might have done differently, but probably won't matter either way, is to put a longer spar in. The spar channels run out very near the wing tips. But the spar in the kit was shorter than the channels so that is how long I cut my carbon fiber one. But the wing feels pretty spongy, if that is something you can imagine. I might have liked to have the spar run all the way out the channel, but no matter I guess!

That's it. My Tower order came today but all of the sudden it seems like eveyone makes you sign for your deliveries. So UPS will have to bring it back tomorrow. Then I get to glue up all the small plastic mounting parts and magnets. After that, I just cut and hinge some things and then go fly ...

Name:	spinner side.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	22745   Click image for larger version

Name:	spinner front.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	22746   Click image for larger version

Name:	spar3.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	22747  
Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Any more progress? It looks great from what you have shown us!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:28 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Thanks.

I have the fuse finished and motor and servos mounted. I also got my E-flite ESC yesterday, so I will velcro that in anytime now too.

I used expoxy on the cowl tabs and cockpit steel plate. I used the GWS glue on the wing and cockpit plastic parts (the black mount parts). It all worked out well.

I've been working on the wing. I think I am going to spend some time here because I am pretty sure I am going to sand the nubs and fill the mold marks and spar channel. Hopefully I won't have to repaint the whole bottom though because the gray is very blueish and I don't want to have to color match. But it shouldn't really be that bad. I am going to foam brush the paint since it's the bottom, that way I don't have to do multiple coats with the airbrush.

I test fit the tail and wing. All looks good. Nice and snug. I am pretty sure I am going to glass the control surfaces. At least the horizontal ones. I did this on my first GWS and they come out really really rigid yet light. Myabe that helps the feel of the plane, who knows for sure. I'm not likely to do anything about the shine. I have balsa ailerons on my P-47 and it looks great that way. They are a different shade and sheen.

I'll put up some pics later when I stop working.

I think it will go quickly once I get past this bodywork stage.

Quick Reply: Ultrafly P40 Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16013 seconds with 29 queries