Ultrafly P40 Build - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Ultrafly P40 Build

Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 PM
The Bandit

Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Bandit...could you post some pics of your flex rod set-up.
Yeah, I'll break out my dig. camera.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:23 AM
The Bandit

Here's a picture of my set-up. Single servo near the front of the wing. From the bottom, you can see the route of the flex rods...90 degrees and no binding, I also filled in all the gaps and made a piece that goes over the mounting plate at rear of wing that can be removed to get to the mounting screw. I wanted a totally smooth, clean set-up. My main intent was to get the dead weight off the wings and move them closer to the cg of the aircraft...in hopes to gain a little more agility out of the airplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P40wing.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	25314   Click image for larger version

Name:	P40wing2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	25315  
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Very nice!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
The Bandit

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Very nice!
Thanks...I'm still waiting for some more maiden reports. It looks like the wing will handle weight better than your average warbird. I normally carve extra battery space in all my models.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Thanks...I'm still waiting for some more maiden reports. It looks like the wing will handle weight better than your average warbird. I normally carve extra battery space in all my models.
Even at my stage in the game I should have known better. But the darn battery area and nose seemed cavernous so I guess I never worried. I can't believe how easy this WOULD have been if I did it before I glued it up.

Oh well, I think I should be able to spend a fair amount of time, hopefully finishing mine, this weekend. May even get a little fying in on Sunday. Who knows.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:48 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Default Getting close (I think!)

OK, I'm creeping along here, but I did another bit of work. I put a top on my battery location to keep the pack from rattling around or banging into the motor mount, or just moving out of position. I've done this in an Alfa before and it worked pretty well. I wanted to put some rails on the sides of the opening to accomplish this but I just couldn't get the angle worked out. And I wanted to sink them into the sidewall a little for extra hold but I couldn't get an accurate channel sanded in the fuse. So this is what I did instead.

All I have to do now is cut up some foam stops for the front of the location and I think that should do it. The battery is pretty tight in the space now, so I think like my Alfa and E-flite P47, I won't have to tie the battery down. The tight mount keeps it pretty secure. That's the beauty of doing this with foam ...it compresses to snug the battery in place.

I hope to finish up the stops later today, but I really don't feel any urgency with this build anymore. I guess that's the bad weather we've had. But I see no reason I wouldn't be ready to maiden next weekend if the weather is favorable. At least it will be nice to button this thing up and move it off the bench. I'd like to start another project now!!

Name:	battery top 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	25504   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery top 2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	25505   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery top 3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	25506   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery top 4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	25507   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery top 5.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	25508  

Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Default Ready to Maiden!

I finally finsihed the P40!!!

I finished up the battery stops this morning. I used some 1/2" square stock balsa that was counter-sunk into the insides of the nose. Gorilla glue did a great job beafing up the fit and amount of glued surface.

Then I just had to tape or velcro in all the electronics. The ESC fit up into the top of the nose. I was able to slide the receiver and wires a little further forward than I originally thought I'd be able to. This let me ease the final battery location back about an 1/8" or 1/4". This made the access to the ESC/battery plugs easier and will also just make it easier to get the battery in and out.

The AUW is exactly 20.60 oz. I am excited about that. I've been flying my E-flight P47 on this same motor. I like the way it is powered at a little over 25 oz. So at a savings of almost 5 oz, this plane should fly pretty nicely.

I guess that's yet to be seen though. I over-prop that P47 and make about 191 watts with it using the stock 10x8 E-flite prop. I am going to maiden the P40 with a milder APC 9x6SF. It only makes 161.4 watts peak but also brings the static amp draw to a safer 14.76 (versus slightly more than 16 amps for the 10x8 prop). Mathematically, the P40 is making a little more power at 125.36 watts/lb versus about 121.02 for the P47. That doesn't tell anything about the flyability of either though. But that's all I can measure at home.

So those are all the facts. This is all theory until you turn it on and chuck it. But it is ready to drop a battery in it and I just need some decent weather to fly now.

Name:	battery stop 1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	25604   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery stop 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	25605   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery stop 3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	25606   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUW.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	25607   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	25608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	finished 2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	25609   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished 3.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	25610   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 planes 2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	25611  
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Oh, I forgot the good part. I just bought a beautiful, new DX7 and a few AR6100 receivers. So I am probably going to swap out the RX in here now. Looking forward to checking out the new gear this week!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Andy, looks like you've got all the problems under control, now go have a great first flight.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Andy, looks like you've got all the problems under control, now go have a great first flight.
Thanks Paul!!! Glad to be able to air it out now for sure!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks good Andy. We knew you would work through it. Persistence has its rewards. Good luck on the maiden and be sure to take some pictures.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Thanks Tom! I'm hoping somebody else will be at the field to video tape it.

What to work on next ...

My P47 is really going slowly. I think Roger is a little worried about the glassing (even though it sounds like he's done it a fair amount before). But it's going to look great with paint and all the decals I've been gathering. And no antenna sticking out the back!!! I can't wait to get the airbrush on that one. The finish should be really nice to paint on.

In the meantime, I don't know whether to put a firewall in my Lancair and finish that, build the GWS Spitfire I have on the floor, build another "project" E-flite P47 I have some ideas for (and the plane in the box), or pick up something that can house all the big servos and reciever that come with the new Spektrum???
Old 03-05-2007, 02:23 AM
kahloq

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Thanks Tom! I'm hoping somebody else will be at the field to video tape it.

What to work on next ...

My P47 is really going slowly. I think Roger is a little worried about the glassing (even though it sounds like he's done it a fair amount before). But it's going to look great with paint and all the decals I've been gathering. And no antenna sticking out the back!!! I can't wait to get the airbrush on that one. The finish should be really nice to paint on.

In the meantime, I don't know whether to put a firewall in my Lancair and finish that, build the GWS Spitfire I have on the floor, build another "project" E-flite P47 I have some ideas for (and the plane in the box), or pick up something that can house all the big servos and reciever that come with the new Spektrum???
Pick up something that can use the bigger servos Heheh. H9 Spitfire
Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 AM
barmonkey

alienx, good luck on the maiden. Glad to hear the weight was less than you thought. I haven't made any progress on mine...all I really need are some servos and to figure how I want to run the motor/esc wires.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:48 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Pick up something that can use the bigger servos Heheh. H9 Spitfire
I was thinking Cub, but the spit is nice too!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

alienx, good luck on the maiden. Glad to hear the weight was less than you thought. I haven't made any progress on mine...all I really need are some servos and to figure how I want to run the motor/esc wires.
Thanks Barmonkey! I kind of wish I had mounted the motor with the wires at the top. I think a nice 1/4" notch in the top of the firewall would have been a good set-up. That way you can keep the ESC at the top of the nose.

You may not have the same problem though. If you battery is anywhere near the stock location, you can mount the ESC under the motor right in the airstream!

I tweaked mine a little tonight and added two additional magnets on the slant at the back of the cockpit. One would probably have been enough, but what the heck. Seemed like a shame to peel the nice paint off by using tape.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 AM
barmonkey

I may add some more magnets to my canopy as well. It doesn't want to stay put as is.

Alienx, if you like AT-6 Texans you may want to check out Mr. Lin's latest. Looks very nice! Not a big AT-6 fan myself...but it looks good. And then of course the FW-190 is coming soon!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:49 AM
barmonkey

Bandit thanks for the pics!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I may add some more magnets to my canopy as well. It doesn't want to stay put as is.

Alienx, if you like AT-6 Texans you may want to check out Mr. Lin's latest. Looks very nice! Not a big AT-6 fan myself...but it looks good. And then of course the FW-190 is coming soon!

I do like the Texan. And GWS seems to be making some nice planes (an evolution in quality). They are also tempting just because they seems to finally be slightly larger, which is something that I like.

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I would love to see what GWS could do with a razorback P47 (or even a Bearcat or any other cat for that matter!).
Old 03-06-2007, 12:48 AM
gunracer

still no maiden?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gunracer View Post
still no maiden?
No, but at least I'm ready now. Hopefully some calmer weather is coming!
Old 03-11-2007, 04:01 AM
barmonkey

alienx, any word on the maiden yet?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Bar, I am kicking myself so badly right now. It was gorgeous today. Mostly sunny, 56 degrees (been 12 all week!), and calm winds. But it was supposed to be rainy and gusty, so I never got to go to the field.

So no maiden yet, but I am ready. I just need some predictable weather.

I AM getting anxious though ...

How is your P40 shaping up?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:30 AM
barmonkey

Right now it is servo-challenged. I have some cheap Tower Pro servos, but I can't make myself use them in this plane...I want something with a bit more quality...so I will have to wait for some spare cash to get some HS-55's. Also, I am waiting on a new battery. I want to try a 1350Mah rather than the 2150Mah that I originally wanted to use. I guess that won't be here until Monday now.
The weather has been pretty nice here, although it was a bit windy. Not good for a maiden anyway. Did fun stuff like cleaned up the garage and worked on the motorcycle instead.
I will have a few brewskis and ponder the servo situation...I may just rob the servos out of my Spitfire...so many planes...so few servos...
Old 03-11-2007, 05:56 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Yea, I watched the Daytona 200 today while I should have been loading the car to go to the field! Proud to see Kawasaki take the top 2 spots!!

I too bailed on some Tower Pro's. I got a set of them from the guy that sold me my Florida Cub. I put two in the wings, and the other two in the tail. But the two in the tail made horrible clacking noises, so out they came.

I got a lot done today on my Spitfire, which I am really looking forward to painting. I am going to take a little liberty on the colors and not make them as dull as they probably would be in real life. Maybe going to use a grass or tree green and some cool shade of brown on top.

Quick Reply: Ultrafly P40 Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10826 seconds with 28 queries