Ultrafly P40 Build - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Ultrafly P40 Build

Old 03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Cubnut

alienX,
I really like the looks of your P-40, I am new to these electric planes. Where are you guys buying these GWS planes??

I am getting ready to start building a Ziroli design 1/5 Scale P-40E, I have the plans in hand and just ordered the Cowling,canopy,retracts and air system for the retracts. Would be nice to get a electric P-40 to fly to give me the inspiration to finish the big one.
Anthony
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 PM
kahloq

They are not GWS planes. The P-40 we have been talking about and building is the Ultrafly P-40. It can be ordered from several places overseas(such as www.shop.eflypower.com) or several shops in Australia. The USA distributor does not have inventory yet( http://www.modelrectifier.com/ )
Old 03-11-2007, 06:00 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Yes, Cubnut, I like the looks of this plane too. If you are scale-minded like me, this one seems to be a pretty good plane to own.

I have to believe MRC will be getting them soon. But if you like, I think TommyTorino in here has a couple left from the group-buy I got mine from. I'm sure he would part with one if you PM him.

It's funny you mentioned the P40. I am about ready to buy a Cub kit. It will be the third kit I've bought but never built!! I was looking at the E-flite and H9 versions and then I ran across the Adrian Page 80" electric kit. It's a Super Cub (which is less appealing to me) but the kit looks great. And light!

Good luck on your build.

Andy
Old 03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Cubnut

I will keep an eye on the US distributor,
I am in no hurry to get one, I have a 60" Chipmunk 80% complete I need to finish once I am done with the Corsair. I will also have to build a jig to build the 1/5 P-40 fuselage on.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Give MRC some time. I for one am interested to see how they ship these P-40s. They are going to need a interesting size/shape box if they intend to ship the models in the factory packing. Bet they get top dollar to ship them!

I have 2 kits left, not in a rush to sell them as the shipping will kill me, so to speak.

Anyone want a P-40 with a 2 piece wing?!?

Tommy D
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
kahloq

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post

Tommy D
That doesnt sound encouraging.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Twizter68
I can't see my plane.....

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
Give MRC some time. I for one am interested to see how they ship these P-40s. They are going to need a interesting size/shape box if they intend to ship the models in the factory packing. Bet they get top dollar to ship them!

I have 2 kits left, not in a rush to sell them as the shipping will kill me, so to speak.

Tommy D

How much? I have not seen anything I can't fix...just a few I did not want to take the time on!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:14 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

I was kidding regarding the 2 piece wing guys.

Right now, with the exception of whom I'm currently speaking too via PM I have closed the group buy on all Ultrafly products.

Contact MRC for your needs.

Tommy D
Old 03-17-2007, 02:54 AM
ElectricFlyGuy
Banned Permanently

Thumbs up Zero

You will really enjoy the Zero. I love mine. Scott

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Cool. I do want a Zero.

This P40 is pretty unique, I think. And nicely done. Stay tuned!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:37 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Default Good Maiden!

Well, I finally got to fly this baby yesterday. It was windy with a lot of turbulence but it flew anyway.

Long story short, it flies nicely. There weren't any bad habits I could detect, in the wind anyway. And it had plenty of glide and lift with the power chopped on final. If anything, I think it was a little too tame for my taste. I don't remember feeling like I could get a very decent loop out of it if I tried. I'll give it another shot on a calmer day to see what I think, but I am inclined to swap the motor for something that makes more than the 160 watts I am getting out of the Park 450. That was with an APC 9x6 SF.

Another option is to put the E-flite P47 prop on it. I run the same set-up in my P47 and it makes a little more than 190 watts. That would bump me up to 145 watts/lb or so (currently about 125 watts/lb). Techincally speaking, that is over-propped but I haven't cooked anything in my P47 yet.

I was worried about my battery puffing. I've never flown one of my smaller Apex lipos on anything bigger than a 400XT or the larger blue MP Jet outrunner. But it held up fine on the first flight anyway. I had no idea how long the battery would keep the plane aloft so I brought it down after about 7.5 minutes. I think I can get about 9 minutes with this set-up but that will drop if I prop-up the plane. No big deal. I have more planes to fly with more batteries, so the shorter flights are no big deal I guess.

Oh, I was balanced at about 40mm I think. That is about the front of the 10mm balance range recommended in the book. To me this seems to be a good spot, but to be honest, I'm not sure that I could really tell the difference if I moved 5mm in either direction. The plane felt stable and so I guess I will never change the balance point.

This is the second plane I put an AR6100 in. The other was my GWS Spitfire. I really like the new technology. Much neater, and not having an antenna sticking out of the plane or my TX is great!! the only thing I can't do now is look up at the wind streamer at the end of my Tx anymore. I had to look over my shoulder at the wind blade in the parking lot. So technically, I maidened a new radio system this weekend too. Very nice!

So that's about it. I felt like I had to finally get some closure on this plane. I put a quick video together that will help you get a sense of the plane. But be gentle. This was my video guy's second time behind a viewfinder. It's a little choppy. oh, and here is a premaiden pic for the record.

Andy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37039729812689
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Premaiden Group.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	27440  
Old 04-01-2007, 07:48 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I forgot the most important part. I had so much lift in my deadstick approach that I popped the plane up abruptly on my flair. It lifted about 4 feet and then skipped in in two hops like a flat stone on a pond. This caused my linkage fairing to pop on one wing and then the linkage tore the aileron in half. It should be a simple fix, but I tell you this so that anyone flying this thing without wheels knows ahead of time. The first and seemingly only two points of contact where my linkage fairings. There was no dirt on any other part of the undercarriage. You can't belly land this plane without some robust protection (imho).
Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Better then the FSK P-40 for sure! Well done!!

Tommy
Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
barmonkey

Looks like a great first flight! Sorrry to hear about the landing mishap...that's one reason I wanted to go with the Torque Rod set-up.

BTW, your cameraman is getting better...
Old 04-01-2007, 08:04 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Looks like a great first flight! Sorrry to hear about the landing mishap...that's one reason I wanted to go with the Torque Rod set-up.

BTW, your cameraman is getting better...
Thanks guys!

yea, the cameraman took one try to figure out that he wanted to take a chair to sit on. He dragged it out to the flightline. It was actually pretty funny ...but seemed to help a little.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
kahloq

I don't remember feeling like I could get a very decent loop out of it if I tried. .......but I am inclined to swap the motor for something that makes more than the 160 watts I am getting out of the Park 450. That was with an APC 9x6 SF.
The 9x6 prop is too small. I've been running an 11x7 APC E prop on a Park 450 for over a year on a much heavier plane(PZ Typhoon weighing 28oz).
That 9x6 SF your using is simply not providing the oomph you want. You dont need to swap out the motor, just use a bigger prop. I use a 10x7 SF prop on a Park 400 in a GWS Corsair and it is a fast flyer and can easily loop. I also have the 10x7 SF prop on another GWS Corsair with a Park 450 in it and this plane was glassed and weighed 27oz with a 2100 size batt.(am now shedding some weight on it to get it down to about 23-24oz) It could easily loop and roll. You just need a better prop. Up the pitch to at least 7 and go with at least a 10" diameter prop, an 11" would work just as well....but do not use a 12" diameter prop.
On the 11x7 E prop, 2100 battery and the 450, LVC would occur at 11 mins. I normally flew it for 9 1/2 minutes.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:40 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Andy,
It flew nice and looked great, at least you made it look great.
Way to go.
Paul
Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Andy,
It flew nice and looked great, at least you made it look great.
Way to go.
Paul
Thanks Paul!! I'm inspired to try it with a different prop next time.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:28 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
The 9x6 prop is too small. I've been running an 11x7 APC E prop on a Park 450 for over a year on a much heavier plane(PZ Typhoon weighing 28oz).
That 9x6 SF your using is simply not providing the oomph you want. You dont need to swap out the motor, just use a bigger prop. I use a 10x7 SF prop on a Park 400 in a GWS Corsair and it is a fast flyer and can easily loop. I also have the 10x7 SF prop on another GWS Corsair with a Park 450 in it and this plane was glassed and weighed 27oz with a 2100 size batt.(am now shedding some weight on it to get it down to about 23-24oz) It could easily loop and roll. You just need a better prop. Up the pitch to at least 7 and go with at least a 10" diameter prop, an 11" would work just as well....but do not use a 12" diameter prop.
On the 11x7 E prop, 2100 battery and the 450, LVC would occur at 11 mins. I normally flew it for 9 1/2 minutes.
I think you're right. I tested all these props on the bench during the build and they would all work. I guess I was just trying to prop the motor down to something closer to 14 amps because I've always had a nagging feeling about the set-up in my P47. But you give up a lot of power. I think the 10x7SF and the 10x8 E-flite were about equal if I remember correctly. I think the 10x7E was drawing more amps by 1 than the 9x6, but only made 1 watt more power so I opted out of that one.

I'm going to swap the prop for one of these for the next flight I guess.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Way to go Andy! Two plane maidens and a radio maiden. Very nice. Glad to hear the P-40 flew well. Now you can just kick back and enjoy flying the planes. Looking at the picture of the planes in the car, now you just need a Zero and a Luftwaffe plane and you're good to go.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Thanks Tom! I'm glad to have them done. I think you are right. I need that Zero now!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:01 AM
The Bandit

Awesome, AlienX...I'm glad to hear that she's a good flyer. Maybe have to put a larger engine to make her a good-fast flyer.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Awesome, AlienX...I'm glad to hear that she's a good flyer. Maybe have to put a larger engine to make her a good-fast flyer.
Thanks. She's going to get about 30 more watts next time with a larger prop. We'll see how that works out. And maybe a video that isn't as hard to watch!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

I put my last P-40 for sale in the forum if anyone is interested. I tossed in the frio motor for good measure.

Take Care!

Tommy
Old 04-13-2007, 05:47 AM
kahloq

I think you're right. I tested all these props on the bench during the build and they would all work. I guess I was just trying to prop the motor down to something closer to 14 amps because I've always had a nagging feeling about the set-up in my P47. But you give up a lot of power. I think the 10x7SF and the 10x8 E-flite were about equal if I remember correctly. I think the 10x7E was drawing more amps by 1 than the 9x6, but only made 1 watt more power so I opted out of that one.

I'm going to swap the prop for one of these for the next flight I guess.
On the part that is bold above.....although yes, the numbers are very close....the 10" diameter prop is provided a LOT more thrust due to the added inch and the pitch is slightly higher. It will perform better then the 9x6 you were using. The 10x8 is a good prop by e-flite, but it is amp hog if I remember right. Try it...it'll give you muich better performance, but, if amps too high...slap an 11x7 E APC prop on there and see a world of difference and fly for 9 1/2 mins on a 2100 3s
Old 04-13-2007, 08:45 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
On the part that is bold above.....although yes, the numbers are very close....the 10" diameter prop is provided a LOT more thrust due to the added inch and the pitch is slightly higher. It will perform better then the 9x6 you were using. The 10x8 is a good prop by e-flite, but it is amp hog if I remember right. Try it...it'll give you muich better performance, but, if amps too high...slap an 11x7 E APC prop on there and see a world of difference and fly for 9 1/2 mins on a 2100 3s
I have to say that I did a little testing this weekend and am convinced that I need a thrust stand now. I couldn't believe the different relative force the motor was creating with similar watt props on. That has to be a function of thrust like you are mentioning. I think I used a MAS 10x7 and the APC10x7E on one particular motor and the difference seemed to be night and day. The APC was a beast even though the MAS seemed to have a thicker blade. And this all ignores any RPM issues that might be present, because I didn't measure those numbers. Suffice it to say that I am looking at props in an entirely different way now.

In a related note, and something that is causing me a little stress right now, is the difference in power related to batteries. I did a lot of testing on some Apex batteries and then happened to switch to a new Common Sense pack that was also charged. The power output on the new CS batt was SIGNIFICANTLY different than the used Apex batts. The only thing I cna think of that might cause this is the different battery's ability to maintain voltage under load. I can't see any other reason two different packs with the same resting voltage would result in such disparate results.

Quick Reply: Ultrafly P40 Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14839 seconds with 12 queries