Ultrafly P40 Build - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Ultrafly P40 Build

Old 04-13-2007, 09:22 PM
kahloq

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
I have to say that I did a little testing this weekend and am convinced that I need a thrust stand now. I couldn't believe the different relative force the motor was creating with similar watt props on. That has to be a function of thrust like you are mentioning. I think I used a MAS 10x7 and the APC10x7E on one particular motor and the difference seemed to be night and day. The APC was a beast even though the MAS seemed to have a thicker blade. And this all ignores any RPM issues that might be present, because I didn't measure those numbers. Suffice it to say that I am looking at props in an entirely different way now.

In a related note, and something that is causing me a little stress right now, is the difference in power related to batteries. I did a lot of testing on some Apex batteries and then happened to switch to a new Common Sense pack that was also charged. The power output on the new CS batt was SIGNIFICANTLY different than the used Apex batts. The only thing I cna think of that might cause this is the different battery's ability to maintain voltage under load. I can't see any other reason two different packs with the same resting voltage would result in such disparate results.
Quality of the packs in question makes a big difference as well as possible difference in "C" rating. Apex batteries are ok, but are not at the top of the list. Common Sense on the other hand are good tried batteries ....similar quality to Thunderpower.

As far as props....if the APC prop was an E prop then it is designed to be as efficient as possible on an electric motor. MAS props work really well on electric motors in many cases, but generally are designed for glow or gas motors spinning different RPM's...such as in the 8500 range. They do, however beat hands down many other type of props on electric motors(such as FSK, e-flite or GWS or other kinds as well as flimsy type props....depending on the application its used on) Some ppl think Graupner Props are better then MAS props, but tis a matter of opinion. There are strengths for every prop out there. I'd take a MAS prop over a Zinger any day.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:41 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Quality of the packs in question makes a big difference as well as possible difference in "C" rating. Apex batteries are ok, but are not at the top of the list. Common Sense on the other hand are good tried batteries ....similar quality to Thunderpower.

As far as props....if the APC prop was an E prop then it is designed to be as efficient as possible on an electric motor. MAS props work really well on electric motors in many cases, but generally are designed for glow or gas motors spinning different RPM's...such as in the 8500 range. They do, however beat hands down many other type of props on electric motors(such as FSK, e-flite or GWS or other kinds as well as flimsy type props....depending on the application its used on) Some ppl think Graupner Props are better then MAS props, but tis a matter of opinion. There are strengths for every prop out there. I'd take a MAS prop over a Zinger any day.
I can't wait to fly some of these new props on the current set-ups. For instance, I have the Park 450 in my E-flite P47 too. I've heard people talk about how they like the 10x7E on it, but I never bothered to swap because the watt meter numbers didn't seem to indicate it would be worth it. But now I am thinking differently about it. And the 10x7 on the P40 should be very very nice as well. I just have to do something about the aileron linkages now. I was going to just bury the servos in the top of the wing, but I think I might try Barmonkey's idea and bend up some torque rods. I'm looking forward to getting that plane back in the air with a better prop on it and no worries of pulling the ailerons off!! I think I am going to really enjoy it then!

Here's an anecdote along the same lines. My first Alfa was the P51 Marie. I flew it with a relatively mild 9x4.7SF on it at first. But when I realized I could handle it, I put the 8x6SF on it. The slightly higher watt meter numbers actually seem to have resulted in a big power boost. The plane really came to life with the smaller but higher pitched prop. I think the P40 is ripe for the same result!!
Old 04-14-2007, 03:00 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

The power output on the new CS batt was SIGNIFICANTLY different than the used Apex batts. The only thing I cna think of that might cause this is the different battery's ability to maintain voltage under load.
Do I ever hear that brother.

Recently I switched from an older set of Poly Quests to Thunder Power Extreams. When I tell you the power jumped from 500W to 800W I'm dead serious! Had to go back to the drawing board as the CC-45 was now being bushed to over 50A WOT.

Power.... you got to love it!

Tommy D
Old 04-14-2007, 03:23 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
Do I ever hear that brother.

Recently I switched from an older set of Poly Quests to Thunder Power Extreams. When I tell you the power jumped from 500W to 800W I'm dead serious! Had to go back to the drawing board as the CC-45 was now being bushed to over 50A WOT.

Power.... you got to love it!

Tommy D
That's exactly what I mean about causing me stress. All bets are off now. You can't swap the batteries in the planes anymore because one is violently more powerful. So now I have to not only keep a standard size and weight pack, but also brand!!

It helps explain why other posters have gotten different amp draws with the same set-ups I've been using. I guess that battery makes that much difference!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:59 PM
gunracer

batts are definitely not created equal...thanks for all the info shared in this thread...started working on mine...after reading alienx's batt and cg issue, i decided to make a batt platform...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=592
Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gunracer View Post
batts are definitely not created equal...thanks for all the info shared in this thread...started working on mine...after reading alienx's batt and cg issue, i decided to make a batt platform...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=592

That's exactly what I would have done the second time around. Very smart idea on the back-up firewall for protection ...and maybe a nice battery stop even!

Good luck. I can't wait to get mine re-propped and back in the air. I think it's going to be a really fun one.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:16 AM
The Bandit

Here's some action shots! Wonder why there's so little talk about P-40's, they are absolutely georgous.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P40-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	41078   Click image for larger version

Name:	P40-2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	41079   Click image for larger version

Name:	P40-3.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	41080  
Old 09-16-2007, 04:11 AM
barmonkey

"Wonder why there's so little talk about P-40's"

That's because they are so breathtaking to see in flight! Nice one Bandit...

BTW what motor and spinner did you end up using?
Old 09-16-2007, 04:30 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Here's some action shots! Wonder why there's so little talk about P-40's, they are absolutely georgous.
Very nice Bandit. I've got the Ultraflight P-40 still waiting in the box.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 PM
The Bandit

Thanks guys. She's a joy in the air. Barmonkey, I used a Hacker A30 28S/1140KV/260watt motor, the spinner is an electrifly e-spinner (lighter than dubros). It was tough finding a good spinner that looks scale on the P-40.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Really nice Bandit. Is that the Ultrafly? Looks great.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
The Bandit

Really nice Bandit. Is that the Ultrafly? Looks great.
Yes sir, it is. Notice, no servos under the wing.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I've decided this will be my next build. I dug the box out the other night and blew the dust off of it. Do you guys think a Park 450 with a 3S 2150 15C pack would fly it OK? I'm going to make it a belly flopper with only elevator and Ailerons so It should come out pretty light.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I've decided this will be my next build. I dug the box out the other night and blew the dust off of it. Do you guys think a Park 450 with a 3S 2150 15C pack would fly it OK? I'm going to make it a belly flopper with only elevator and Ailerons so It should come out pretty light.
All right! It's time. I look forward to this one.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
All right! It's time. I look forward to this one.
I doubt I'll do a build thread on it but may post a few pics here as long as Andy is OK with it.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

I doubt I'll do a build thread on it but may post a few pics here as long as Andy is OK with it.
Tom, you can bash it to any of my threads- I'm a Minion, used to threads wandering to who-knows-where. Seriously, you can post your pics to the gallery. That would be both appropriate and appreciated. So there.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Tom, you can bash it to any of my threads- I'm a Minion, used to threads wandering to who-knows-where. Seriously, you can post your pics to the gallery. That would be both appropriate and appreciated. So there.
More than happy to post some pictures when I get around to it.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:19 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

That looks nice. So much better than the improperly done ones with gloss covering.

If its a kit, then we won't see many, becuase people are lazy.
(Hey, maybe I should make that my signature? )

Grasshopper, a Park 450!
Sould be plenty for the plane. I just flew a 12.5oz Guillows 190 on the Park 370, with plenty of power. Seem like nice outrunners, for the few outrunners I've every used.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
pd1
Still Learning

I think you said that about the P-47?

Paul
Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
[/B]

Paul

Ok, fine. You had to drag up my 40 ounce pig as an example. I'm even going back to add the rudder on the P-47. As for the P-40, It won't have gear or be glassed (silked if that's a word) so it will probably only weigh 38 ounces. I won't need a steerable tail wheel and should only need 3 servos max. I may try to get away with two and put torque rods in for the ailerons.

I've had a real problem building since I got back in to electrics. I was never used to trying to keep things really light. None of my current planes are really light and I've got to start thinking about that before assembly or build. I just keep thinking BIGGER MOTOR.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Hopper, Actually I ment you left the rudder off on the P-47.

I like having a workable rudder.
How else are you going to do snap rolls and spins?

Paul
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
[/b]

Paul
Haha, the P-47 reminds me of my prom date!!

Post away Tom!! I think I have the 450 in mine. I haven't touched it since the first weekend because I want to relocate the wing servos. It's at the back of the cue.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Very nice Bandit!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:12 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

It's nice to see with all the P-40 choices we have now that the Ultrafly kit still gets posted about.

Lots of luck on the build!

Tommy D

http://tommydsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 10-27-2007, 05:58 AM
The Bandit

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
That looks nice. So much better than the improperly done ones with gloss covering.

If its a kit, then we won't see many, becuase people are lazy.
(Hey, maybe I should make that my signature? )

Grasshopper, a Park 450!
Sould be plenty for the plane. I just flew a 12.5oz Guillows 190 on the Park 370, with plenty of power. Seem like nice outrunners, for the few outrunners I've every used.
Thanks for the compliment! I don't find kits that tough to build...but I guess it's all in each person's perspective.

By the way, mine's got a Hacker A30 which is similar in power to the Park 480. Moooore Power!

Quick Reply: Ultrafly P40 Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10845 seconds with 16 queries