Mini Telemaster Build thread - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Telemaster Build thread

Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I really liked your comment about your mini-t going vertical till you stopped it.
To be candid - it certainly did not have unlimited vertical. The Skatt will make a good power source for the type of plane - it is a telemaster after all!

Truthfully it does not need a lot of power! But if you want more the AXI 2212 motors would give it a boost over the skatty...

Mike
Old 12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

This is true. On the AXI 2212/26, I can fly my Mini T with a Pencam on board with trainer-type flight performance by using a 10x6HD prop and 2S lipo. Using a 9x5HD prop and 3S lipo, I have to be careful about when I use full throttle. It has plenty of power in this configuration to haul up a 9oz. Nikon and extra servo, too. If you're NOT hauling a camera up, the 400XT will definitely be plenty of power.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 AM
texas

I think I'll go with the skatt Its my first electric and that should be a good start. Thanks

Last edited by texas; 12-10-2006 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Captain Ken

Default Mini Telemaster motor

I am also in the process of building a Mini TM. A guy at the LHS recommended that I put a Park 450 in my Telemaster. The extra power will pull more weight in future planes. Might this be too heavy for the Mini TM? The difference is 1/2 an ounce.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

I very much doubt the extra weight will be an issue. Matter of fact, I had to add 1/2 of weight to the front of the firewall when I bolted the AXI 2212 on the nose in order to keep the battery mounting location the same. With this motor and a 3S pack, the plane shrugs off the weight of a 9oz camera, so I think you'll be okay.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Captain Ken

Default Ailerons

That's good to know. I am also considering adding ailerons for better control early on and greater control as I get more comfortable flying this plane. Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Ailerons = YES. They work very well.....and will help the plane grow with you longer.

Mike
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

A Park 450?! Holy cow! I've seen this motor turn a 16 ounce plane into a missile.

I love my Park 480 in a 37 ounce plane. These seem to be very nice motors. The 450 will probably never need more than 1/4 throttle in your Telemaster. Good on later, heavier builds but I'll bet the 400 will get you by just fine for this plane. IF I ever get around to finishing my Mini Telemaster (with flaps and ailerons) I don't plan to use more than a 100 watt motor.

Joe
Old 02-04-2007, 01:13 AM
texas

My skatt came ! What prop should I use ?

Last edited by texas; 02-08-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:45 PM
texas

Maybe I'll use a 8x6 prop. I can start there.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Skatty prop and telemaster is GWS HD 9x5 prop. Perfect for both.

Mike
Old 02-11-2007, 05:02 PM
TheOldGuy

I've been flying for years and have never heard of So-Lite. Where do you get it?
Charlie
Old 02-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Tank52
For the birds...

Allerc.com has a good selection of Solite at a good price...

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=1085

Originally Posted by TheOldGuy View Post
I've been flying for years and have never heard of So-Lite. Where do you get it?
Charlie
Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by TheOldGuy View Post
Charlie
Tower carries it in another name:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDV2&P=7

Nelson/Solite:
http://www.nelsonhobby.com/covers.html

Mike
Old 02-11-2007, 05:45 PM
TheOldGuy

Thanks everyone for the tips.
Charlie
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
texas

Ok, thanks Mike
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Papaw14

Default Need covering help please.

Getting ready to cover my Mini Telemaster and could use some suggestions on how to do it. I am going to use So-lite unless someone has a better suggestion. My question is, how do I cover the top of the wing, do I stick the covering just to the top of the turbulators or do I stick it to the ribs in between them? This will be my first iron-on covering job, it has been over 40 years since I flew any rc planes. I have really enjoyed the build, it brought back lots of memories and also showed just how much my building skills have diminished. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:35 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Papaw14 - covering is a bit of an art - take you time.

Nelson/SoLite is somewhat difficult to work with - but WELL worth the effort. It sticks to it's backing far better than any covering - so use scotch tape and stick one piece to a corner on the top and the other peice on the same corner on the bottom same corner. The pull apart - neat trick. DO NOT LET it touch adhesive side to adhesive side - it will stick instantly to itself (unlike other covering)

In a nutshell you cut the covering (oversize by a couple of inches in every direction - when you get better you can decrease that amount slightly).

Separate the backing. Start with the bottom of the wing. Tack it to all for corners of the wing - pulling most wrinkles out gently - not too much pressure.

Then tack to several places on the LE and trailing edge. Again pull slightly.

Then seal all the way around the covering - then start shrinking.

Then stick to the ribs and turbulators.

Then change the temp to a bit higher and shrink out the open space wrinkles.

Take a little material and cover something you don't care as much about to get some practice.

It will come back to you.

Read this FIRST - before you do anything!!!!:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52764

Mike
Old 09-23-2007, 04:38 AM
mackey

Angry Mini telemaster dimensions

Hi,
My mini flew away on me! Seems like xmitter antenna had been slowly unscrewing itself from xmitter. One day it lost signal and is yet to be found. However, I had built a modified wing for it and still have a wing. If someone could provide me with the fuselage length, stab width, and fuse width at TE of wing, I'll build another fuselage from scrap wood.

Any info will help. The wing I have is 7" chord and 48" WS.

Bill
[email protected]
Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
mudduck

Hi RCERS

I am a retired supervisor who worked 42 years in the automotive business. I am looking at your thread regarding the Mini-Telemaster as I have purchased one a while back. I also believe I have the plan for the "Q-TEE" in my basement; I have nearly 400 plans stored in X-Mas wrapping plastic containers! If you want further info I can provide...such as plan number, origin and even the article which appeared in RCM. If you can, give me a holler....love to gab with you on the MT.

Regards,
Ron

Last edited by mudduck; 10-03-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:38 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Ron - happy to help shoot me a PM or just ask away here in the thread!

MIke
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
mudduck

Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
Hi RCERS

I am a retired supervisor who worked 42 years in the automotive business. I am looking at your thread regarding the Mini-Telemaster as I have purchased one a while back. I also believe I have the plan for the "Q-TEE" in my basement; I have nearly 400 plans stored in X-Mas wrapping plastic containers! If you want further info I can provide...such as plan number, origin and even the article which appeared in RCM. If you can, give me a holler....love to gab with you on the MT.

Regards,
Ron
Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Ron - happy to help shoot me a PM or just ask away here in the thread!

MIke

Hi RCERS,

I looked up the Q-Tee plan that I have; it is plan no. 625 and it appeared in the Jan 1976 Issue of RCM. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the magazine, but I have the constructon text (six pages of very small text) which accompanied the drawing. Just wanted to let you know.

Ron
Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Craig

I just picked me up a Mini Telemaster yesterday. I have about 3 hours into the build so far and have the fusalage almost complete as well as the tail assembly finished up. I am hoping to finish up the wing tonight. So far it has been a pretty straight forward build.

My question is about what motor/ battery combo to use. I already have a few motors on hand that I may try but not sure which would be the best choice. I am trying to keep things a light as posible. I want this one to be for just lazy relaxing flying. After I finish this one I will probably scratch build a second one with an aileron wing. Although I do have a Dandy wing form and old crashed plane of mine. Not sure how it would fit om the Mini Fuse though.

Ok so the motors I have to choose from are:

Bm- 2408-21, Custom Cdr single stator, Custom CDR Double Stator, and my last choice is a Himax 2015/4100. I would like to avoid the Himax and stay away from geared motor if possible but would use it if it is the best option.

The batteries I have are TP 3S 2100 and a couple of E Max 3S 2100's. I have 4 Don's RC 3S 1350 15C pack that I would like to use if possible in the plane as well.

I just don't have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to the right motor/ battery combo for planes.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 10:35 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Craig any 100w motor that will spin a 8-10" prop will be perfect for the Telemaster.

The Custom CDR Double would likely be my choice - with the lighter 3s 1350 packs.

Mike
Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Craig

Thanks for the info. I was think the double would be the best option as well.

Also in thinking about the wing- I don't think my Dandy wing is going to fit the Mini Fuse. So I am thinking I may as well add the Ailerons to this one anyway. Did you leave the dihedral in in the wings as called for on the plans or did you take out some of the dihedral?

Quick Reply: Mini Telemaster Build thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14914 seconds with 11 queries