Top Flite P51 Build and conversion - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Top Flite P51 Build and conversion

Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

I am sure you can resell the HC batts, the ones my friends and I have bought are awesome and as you know the prices are fantastic.

My friend maiden his Top Flite 1/7 ARF P51 but I missed it. He said it's easy to fly and land.

I am inspiried to get this puppy finished and do a tandem flight with him.

Took a break tonight from sanding as I work 6 hours OT yesterday...lucky for me more sanding this weekend.

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
rgaynor

God speed my friend - the skies are waiting to recieve your P51. That said, get back to sanding!!!!
Ron
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Well...believe it or not I am almost done sanding....I have a few more rough spots to pretty up and than it's off for primer coat. Once this is done I am sure I will find some more rough spots :-), did I mention my friend thinks I am too picky about the surface preparation ahhh perfection :-(

Anyways...I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel and pretty happy about the progression in the last month or so...I give up some sunny fly days for building working on her.

How about yourself....did you get you new lipos in?

I am thinking about getting the new Hyperion G3 lips...can charge them at 5C...this is great news...as I have to remove the wing to swap batteries...can leave the lipo in the place and charge at 5C...of course you risk losing the plane if the lipo blows.

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 PM
rgaynor

Glad to hear you are starting to see light. My lipos still have not arrived as they are on backorder. The good news is that Atlanta Hobby is selling Thunder Power batteries at 20% off. I thought you were going to put a top hatch for the batteries. See my picture below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (13).jpg
Views:	481
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	102902  
Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Can't wait to see your maiden video :-)

Great looking hatch...I thought about it for a long time but I might ending up butchering the job...having said that it's probably not too late.

I primered the fuse after work today...the gray primer shows all the little flaws...but nothing a little wood filler and light sanding won't fix.

Overall I guess I am happy with the results so far...did I mention I want to build another one (chuckle)...if this does happen I guarantee it won't take 3 years.

thinking about the P40 hmmmm

Cheers,

Gord.
PS - Did I mentioned your plane looks great...love the rivets...very kewl.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
rgaynor

Build another one....yikes. I am not ready to jump in yet. Just got my batteries yesterday and plane to hook things up today. Hope to maided it this weekend
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Did you maiden you P51?

I started to spray mine with grey primer and of course more flaws in the sanding showed...so more sanding was done...got tried of sanding and started to cover her with Krylon chrome....the fuse looks okay but still has some flaws...oh well. The wing was a different story....after the chrome was dry...I really didn't like the way it looked so decided to sand off the paint and start from scratch :-( I guess I am being wayyyyyyyyy too picky. The plastic rad scoop and bottom of the cowl came out nice...I clear coated them as well.

How did you paint your plane?

If the wind doesn't turn out right the second time...I am gonna to ask a club member to do the finishing touches and paint was auto paint....he owns a auto body shop :-)

On another note....a club member has the Topflite P51 ARF and I saw it fly for the first time last weekend....it flys great and landings are not as bad as I thought for a warbird.

Anyways...take care.

Gord.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:57 PM
rgaynor

Hi Gord - bad news to report. I maiden my P51 2 weeks ago and she crashed just after take off. I don't think I had enough static thrust pumping out from my prop/motor set up. I started to run out of runway and pulled up a little more than you should for a warbird. It tip stalled - total loss.

Bummer :-(
Please let me know how things go on your end. Before you spend any more time painting, you might want to maiden yours first. Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM
gwong

That sucks !!! sorry to hear of your crash...will you build another one?

May I ask how you painted her?

I was pretty frustrated with mine last night...was going to throw it in the trash or could ship it to you for free :-)

I am looking at the new H9 Blue Nose P51 if this thing doesn't get finished by this year.

Again sorry to hear of your crash :-(

Gord.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
rgaynor

Don't plan to build another kit any time soon. I used Kylon rattle can paint and it turned out great. After spraying on the paint, I then used Testors DULLCOTE to seal the paint. It puts on a nice dull finish which was the effect I wanted. Here are some pictures

Name:	IMAG0040.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	105757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	105758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (3).jpg
Views:	328
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	105759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (6).jpg
Views:	375
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	105760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (10).jpg
Views:	519
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	105761  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (12).jpg
Views:	439
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	105762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (13).jpg
Views:	253
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	105763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (4).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	105764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Flite P51  (8).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	105765  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 AM
gwong

Hey Ron,

She was a nice bird that's for sure !!!

Thanks for the painting tips...here is a pic of the fuse painted with Krylon Metal.

Gord.

Name:	TFP51 Painted Fuse.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	105807  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 AM
rgaynor

I see what you were talking about - the chrome just does not stand out. Flight metal is the best way to go for that type of look
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM
gwong

The pic doesn't do the paint justice...it's actually pretty shinny in person. I considered the flight metal but it's pricey. I heard you can use very thin litho plate from print shops to get the polished metal look as well.

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
rgaynor

You are correct about flight metal being pricey. It is also very challenging to apply. Can't wait to see the final product!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:22 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Well...during my vacation and despite the sweltering heat wave on the west coast...I put in about 4 or 5 hours a day for the last 10 days and I am almost finished my P51...a few things left to do as listed below...

Paint the pilot
add the machine guns
add the exhaust
apply the decals
program the radio
tidy up the wiring
check the CG
test the ground handling
maiden (fingers crossed)
add more details :-)

She will be ready to maiden during our club's last major event of the year.

Here are a few update pics...

Cheers,

Gord.

Name:	IMG_0358.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	106403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	106404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	106405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	106406  

Last edited by gwong; 07-31-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: add more comments
Old 07-31-2009, 03:16 PM
rgaynor

Gord - she looks great. All that sanding you did really has paid off. I like the paint colors as well. Won't be long be she takes to the sky!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 AM
AlexinOz
Eek!!! BANG!!!

Originally Posted by gwong View Post
I stuck with the Power 60 and possibly 6S 5000mah as it seems to be best combo for me...I am planning for about 120 watts per lb...so I know the motor is rated for about 1400 watts and if keep her under 10lbs...it should be enough for decent flight performance.
Hi Gord,

I've just stumbled across this thread and it's been great reading.... much more fun than doing my postgrad readings!!!

I've been playing around with electrics for about 8 months now, but seem to have picked up a bit in that time (especially through fiddling with watt and rpm meters, and lots of different sized props).

I'm noticing approx 20% reduction in power that I calculate when selecting my motor, versus what I think the prop may be actually receiving when it is all set up. Brushless motors lose, say, approx 10% (ie 90% efficient), then a little more gets lost between the batteries, cables and ESC. Certainly the Watts are definitely being sucked up, but I suspect not all of this is reaching the prop due to inefficiencies. For what it's worth I generally use HobbyCity gear, however don't really think it is all that different from the other brands. Perhaps I'm wrong though

Based on your above calculation and my figures, is it possible your 140W per pound could actually become 112? I'm worried it could be a potential problem if you do come in a little heavier than you'd like.

Rgaynor - sorry to read you lost your plane, it looked superb, I am wondering if it was underpowered for the reasons I've mentioned above. Or not so much underpowered, as not enough power actually reaching the prop?

Anyway perhaps I'm missing something here, but in my experience I'm always seeing slightly lower performance than I'd expect in theory. I'm now setting my planes up with 30% more power (in theory) than I need and the amount of power delivered appears to be pretty much spot on now when they're flying.

FWIW, this is the motor I'd go with from HC, if I take off 20% it comes in at 1456W, which may give you a little more breathing space.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._380Kv_/_1820w

I'd welcome your thoughts and feedback... and all the very best with the completion of your plane, it really looks stunning. Perhaps I might try doing a proper build like you have (but it'll have RAAF markings given I'm an Aussie ).

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by AlexinOz; 08-01-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 AM
rgaynor

Thanks Alex for your kind words. The one test that I forgot to perform on my plane before its maiden was static thrust. That messurement is the best way to determine if there is enough power based on the motor, prop and battery combo. I use a digital fish gauge and a rope tied around the planes tail to test static thrust. Just a thought.
Ron
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 AM
gwong

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your insight and suggestions...a fellow club member has the Topflite P51 ARF with similar power setup and he feels it has plenty of power. I seen his plane fly and I concur with him. His plane weighs just over 10lbs...mine is just under 10lbs so it should be okay.

Ron,

Another fellow club member built a static motor test stand...we can go to his place to test out differents combos of motor / props and batts :-) having said that...I was thinking the exact thing to use a fish scale to measure the thrust...hopefully it will be 1 to 1 lol

Today

I tweaked the radio programming
Planning on building a sliding battery tray...I can load and unload the batts from the front side lower cowl...no need to take the wing off to change batts yipee !!!

Checked the CG and it's spot on as per the manual...however will move it up 1/4 inch rather a bit nose heavy on the maiden just to be safe.

Split wrapped the pneumatic lines and servo leads
Tie wrapped everything else
Modded the air cylinder tray...now the tank doesn't slide around :-)

Cheers,

Gord.

Last edited by gwong; 08-01-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:29 PM
rgaynor

can't wait to hear how great she flies!!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 AM
gwong

I applied the decals today...what a PIA...the decals should have been precut but nope...had to careful cutout the insignia but it's done.

Plane is clear coated, MG installed...was going to counter sink them but didn't do it, Thought I could load the batt from the lower cowl but to get the CG right the batt needs to go way back !!!....so to change batts have to remove the wing or could get the new Hyperion G3 Lipo and charge at 5C !!!

Instrument decal installed and started to paint the pilot. Task for tomorrow is to build a seat.

Did a watt test today and here is the result, approx 65amps and 1400 watts.

Here a few pics of the wiring.

Cheers,

Gord.

Name:	TFP51 Motor ESC 1.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	106655   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFP51 Motor ESC 2.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	106656   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFP51 Inside Finished.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	106657  
Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
rgaynor

Hi Gord - looks like you are almost ready to fly. The amps and watts should be fine to lift your 11lb pound. I would also suggest you doing a static thrust test just to play it safe
Old 08-15-2009, 07:02 AM
gwong

Well Ron....

I did the static thrust test tonight and she is pulling 8.5lbs at WOT. The CG was moved 1/4" forward from the factory recommendations. Left to do...its building of the pilot seat and exhaust....not too crazy about the stock ones...so will be building my own set...I went the the local airshow and they had a P51D and P51B...took lots of pictures and saw them fly...it was great.

As for my maiden it will be this Sunday at our club's final flyin of the year...wish me luck...will post the video if she survives :-)

Gord.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:31 PM
thrawn150

Originally Posted by rgaynor View Post
Glad to hear you are starting to see light. My lipos still have not arrived as they are on backorder. The good news is that Atlanta Hobby is selling Thunder Power batteries at 20% off. I thought you were going to put a top hatch for the batteries. See my picture below.
That is just out standing.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:08 PM
rgaynor

Originally Posted by gwong View Post
Well Ron....

I did the static thrust test tonight and she is pulling 8.5lbs at WOT. The CG was moved 1/4" forward from the factory recommendations. Left to do...its building of the pilot seat and exhaust....not too crazy about the stock ones...so will be building my own set...I went the the local airshow and they had a P51D and P51B...took lots of pictures and saw them fly...it was great.

As for my maiden it will be this Sunday at our club's final flyin of the year...wish me luck...will post the video if she survives :-)

Gord.
Can't wait to hear about the maiden - good luck this weekend. Send videos!!!

Ron

Quick Reply: Top Flite P51 Build and conversion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17025 seconds with 28 queries