Parkzone Micro Cessna 210 - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Parkzone Micro Cessna 210

Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by M.T. View Post
Hi,
I had to change the motor/gearbox on mine also.
Carefully slit the decals with a scalpel, lift off the wing assy, then cut the glue to get the motor out.
A good set of 'off the shelf' reading glasses might come in handy... they have for me!
Just for giggles, I called Horizon and spoke to their Product Support people. They suggested the same thing; cut the glue out around the motor mounts with a sharp hobby knife, then reglue, being careful to get the down/rt thrust angles as close to stock as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion on the specs......I may need to look into that.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 AM
M.T.

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on the specs......I may need to look into that.
Very good
Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 AM
cjg

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post

CJG, are you talking about being able to charge the TX batteries with a walwort? I've seen a mod that shows how to install a plug for the charger that will let you charge from a walwort, but you still need 1 AA battery in there for the light to work.
I'm talking about putting a power plug on the TX so I can charge the 4AA batts from my various peak chargers (ICE, MRC959, etc). If I can get the case open it would be easy to do, but there aren't any screws to take the TX case apart.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:43 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Default Need the skill and patience of a surgeon......

I finally got a few minutes to swap out my motor/gearbox combo. I was able to remove the motor, and noticed the foam body is molded in such a way to provide the down/right thrust angles. Those wires are SUPER small. And there is not much left after cutting out the original motor to allow much room to solder. My fear being I goof and drip solder somewhere it doesn't belong, my Cessna becomes a nice static model. So I stripped the wires, twisted them together, tested the motor, then put heatshrink on the wires and carefully hit it with the heatgun. Tested again, still good. Two drops of hot glue in the holes where the mounting posts go, press the motor in, let set. Test again (make sure I didn't get glue in the gearbox or motor - that would be a bummer!), all still good! Put the top of the fuse back on after attaching the prop, tested again, and all good. Has nice pull. I just wish I had room to fly her to test her out. I guess I will wait til Saturday. If it's fixed, hopefully I can get some more flights out of her before Horizon comes out with the micro with ailerons. THAT looks ab-fab!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
34Ford
KF4IVP

I think I few my Cessna 7 times this weekend. Its a blast to fly in a little breeze and hover it.

Im trading my mini super cub for a Citabria today and I emailed a site in the UK about shipping a Flybaby to me.

Im building a Parkzone/Kyosho micro fleet.

Oh cjg, take your fingernail and peal off the little rubber feet to get to the charger screws.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 AM
cjg

Originally Posted by 34Ford View Post
I think I few my Cessna 7 times this weekend. Its a blast to fly in a little breeze and hover it.

Im trading my mini super cub for a Citabria today and I emailed a site in the UK about shipping a Flybaby to me.

Im building a Parkzone/Kyosho micro fleet.

Oh cjg, take your fingernail and peal off the little rubber feet to get to the charger screws.
Thanks. But again, I'm not taking the charger apart, but I want to open the radio so I can put a charge plug on it. Any idea how to get it open???
Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Iron City
Waffle House Connisseur

I am having problems with my elevator servo. I get a ton more down throw than I do up throw. I have hardly any elevator authority to make this thing climb. I have bent the linkage to give it a little up trim extra to make up for the lack of elevator. Is the servo starting to strip? Has anyone else had this issue.

Also my prop shaft is bent, I am wondering if the thrust line is off ?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Keithhs
Building toys since 1941

Here is an excerpt from an article that I wrote. Try this.

If everything seems to be working okay, I then center the rudder and the elevator with the trim switches. Starting with the rudder, push on either end of the rudder trim switch 10 times. This will move the trim to the extreme travel in that direction. Move to the other end of the trim switch and push it. You will hear a short beep each time you push it. After you have pushed it four times the next time you push it you will hear a solid tone. This is the center of the trim.
Look at the rudder if it is in line with the vertical stabilizer, nothing else is required. If it is to the right or left, carefully bend the wire at the end of the push rod until it is line. Go through the same procedure for the elevator. By doing this it assures that you will have trim in each direction from center.

A bent prop shaft will rob power from the propeller because a certain amount of the available power is being used to shake the plane.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 AM
getfuzzy

My plane has what looks like shrink tubing over the pushrod which connects the bent wires for the rudder and elevator control to the pushrod. On my plane the bent wire was slipping inside the heat shrink tubing when I'd give elevator inputs... The result, I was getting movement in one direction, and not so much the other.... The fix, a tiny carefully placed drop of CA on the pushrod that wicks into the heat shrink tubing. Don't know if that's the problem but it may be worth checking.

I got this little plane the hard way, I traded someone for a Falcoln 40. The Falcoln was in a lot better shape than the Cessna that I got. Mine part of the trade required assembly After getting it all put together, it flys, but not quite as good as I imagine a brand new one would. So far, I've had it almost 2 months, and I've put $0 into repairs... Pretty durable little plane, I fly it in the wind, take off of pavement, land on pavement. Crashed it nose first a few times, and still haven't busted a prop!

Good little plane I think I'm experiencing the same problem with the charger using recharable batteries. With rechargables in the charger, I only get a solid glowing red LED that refuses to go away unless I pop out the batteries. Guess I'll have to settle for using disposable batteries untill I buy another plane so I can have two chargers and modify one of them to us AC.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 PM
chinaclipper

Default Engine Troubles with my New (?) Citation 210

.. I know its not a new one, but I think I just got the last one on the shelf. Actually I saw it two month ago and put it on layaway, I just picked it up Friday

ANYWAY...

I got it to the aerodrome last nite. Conditions were perfect, no wind, 65F, Unlimited visability (ok ok 120 meter until walls) and ceiling to 45 feet.

First flight was great, second flight I started to notice a "glitch" in the engine sound. Like a gear that isn't meshing right. At the same time, I noticed a significant loss of power, speed, and it was difficult or impossible to maintain altitude without a significant amount of up elevator. No crashes, no run-into's nothing.

I tried several other batteries, thinking it was the battery. It wasn't.

I can only conclude that the motor is going bad. Now what should I do?
1)Replace the motor outright
2)Trade in the 210 for that sweet Ultra Micro J-3 Cub

I really like this plane, it looks good in the air.
I am going to the LHS and see what they can do...
Stand bye!

Last edited by chinaclipper; 02-01-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Try oiling the gearbox bearings. You need to cut the decal down one side and open up the fuse to do it.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 PM
chinaclipper

Default too late!!

I kind of wanted to see what deal I could swing. Here was the deal.
When I got there the sales guy immediately started opening up the fuse. I was trying to avoid that Anyway, long and short of it, he stated with conviction that most of the people that attempted the repair (swap motors) ended up destroying the fuse.

Well, I was not exactly a hard sell, because about this time he says "Have you seen the new J-3 Cub?"

Well, of course I had. I ended up getting the J-3 cub (steerable tail wheel! What a deal).

But guess what? I just COULDN'T let that Citation go. I convinced the nice people to let me have it for cost, and I put it on layaway and will pick it up end of March or so. Wife's gonna love that.....

So around April (tax time?) I will have another project-replacing (oiling?) the 210 motor and gearbox.

Anyone have any idea where I can go to read up on that one first? I was able to swap out the servo motor and wiper for the Ember, so I am not ALL thumbs.....

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 PM
cjg

Does the spinner/prop move fairly freely by hand?

When you get it, try a bit of lubrication on the motor. Not too much, use light, plastic compatible oil.

I took mine out for the first time since I bought my P-51. I forgot how relaxing this was to fly. The Flightmax 138's I got for my p-51 (didn't work in that aircraft) were perfect as my original two batts were shot.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Toby B

...to open the xmitter, drill out the 4 plugs on the bottom that look like screws
should be in there. They are, just covered over with soft plastic plugs... whatever
drill bit fits snugly into the hole will do the deal... something around 1/4"

hth,
t
Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 AM
cjg

TX for the info about opening the transmitter. I was able to drill small holes in the back, fish wires through to the battery box, and glue a dean's plug on the back. Didn't have to open the case to get a charging plug mounted.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 AM
chinaclipper

Default Picked up my Cessna 210 today.

I got it from layaway. I had the aircraft and then traded it for a J-3 (which I love). It just didin't sound good, and was loosing power big time in the air. I REALLY liked it, so I kind of "re-laywayed" it...

Got it today.

I even bought a motor/gearbox "just in case."

Gohmer, CJG I put some good lightweight oil as suggested, then some good gear grease too just for luck and fired her up, just to see what was what BEFORE I tried to pull the old motor.

Well, sure enough, she sounded SWEET! No nasty gear gnashing, no weird sounds, so I am going to "second maiden" (?) it tonight.

Off to the aerodrome!

NB: Just got back from the aerodrome. Went through 4 batteries, TT about 1 hour on the Hobbs meter....
She flew like a champ. Quiet, nice power, just as promised. It does NOT have the power of the J-3, which heads immediately for the roof at 3/4 throttle. It just kind of lazily climbs up there, nice and steady.
Good flight characteristics, almost impossible to stall unless you really try.
I busted a prop trying to fly inverted and pull out. Little too low for that...
Fortunately I had a spare so all was well-no bent shaft at all.

In summary, I like this plane, glad I got it. Next up some mods on my MSC and then, I just ordered a Zero from Gravity Hobby that should keep me busy for awhile.

Last edited by chinaclipper; 05-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Virgil Kee

Default ORDERING a Micro Cessna????

Has anyone tried to BUY one on the web recently? At all the "usual suspect's" sites, you get an OUT OF STOCK message!

Has anyone searched the extensive Google listing?

Virg.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

The original micro Cessna 210 along with the Citabria is no longer available from HorizonHobby/Parkzone. If you have managed to find one, it must have been old stock.

The original plane was produced by Kyosho and sold as the Minium series. Neither the Centurion nor the Citabria is listed on the US website anymore, so they may be gone as well:

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/airplan...category_id=10
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Toby B

Oh, that's a bummer. The 210 is a fun little plane.... the Cub can replace the
Citabria, but what's going to replace the Centurion?

t
Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

The new UM Parkzone Champ:

It slots between the Mini Cub and the UM J-3 Cub size wise with a 24" WS.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4900
Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

It's also still possible to buy the Cessna 210 in pieces and assemble your own:

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=127F1A3DA16C

Although personally, it's very expensive to do this. I was planning on it awhile back... then the UM Cub came out. So I just bought the UM Cub instead.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Toby B

Hey, the Champ looks nice. Not PZ, though, not that that matters much...

t
Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

The Champ is branded under the Hobbyzone name... but it gets rid of 2 traditional HZ features... which is good:

- Spektrum DSM2 radio instead of flaky 27MHz. Also lets you upgrade to any Spektrum/JR DSM2 radio down the road.
- No stupid ACT (Anti-Crash Technology) a.k.a: 'Automated Crash Technology'

At $90 US for an RTF plane, it's a decent deal. I spent the same $$$ for my BNF UM J-3 Cub.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 AM
Nunja Business

Should I be able to bind the 210 to a Spektrum DX5e?
Anybody know the procedure? The ones I have found are confusing and don't apply in most cases.

Help!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nunja Business View Post
Should I be able to bind the 210 to a Spektrum DX5e?
No, they are not Spektrum compatible so you cannot 'bind' them.

The Micro Cessna Centurion 210 and Micro Citabria use a different and proprietary 2.4Ghz radio.

If you want to make your Cessna 210 into a Spektrum compatible, you will need to replace the RX brick in the plane. There is an article on Horizon Hobby's website explaining the conversion process:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1931

Quick Reply: Parkzone Micro Cessna 210

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09503 seconds with 10 queries