Pink Pusher Jet Build - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Pink Pusher Jet Build

Old 12-15-2007, 04:21 AM
DavidWent
Holdmybeer and watchthis

Originally Posted by hondo33 View Post
Don,

I'll trade you my seven days of rain for you wind! I have had my pusher ready to fly and have had nothing but rain for a week. Today was the first day that has been nice and I had to work. At least on windy days I get get one of my delta wings up, as they fly well in the wind. Have you posted any pics of your pusher yet?

Rob
Rob,

I'll trade you your 7 days of rain for the 15 inches of snow we got yesterday and the nor'easter bearing down on us for Sunday! LOL

David
Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 PM
hondo33
hondo33

Default No thanks

I grew up in New England and can feel your pain. After 20 years in the Army I settled down in sunny TN. The weather is more friendly for outdoor activities and have not shoveled snow in more than 20 years. I'll keep my rain. I think I would have to put skis on a brushless slow stick and go for broke!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
DavidWent
Holdmybeer and watchthis

I've heard nice things about TN. Sounds tempting!

David
Old 02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
oct2633

Default Oct2633

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi David sure you can use the foamboard from michales, just cut the slots 3/16" of an inch rather than the 1/4 " for the depron, No problem also you might want to add some CF tube to the leading edge of the wing, just to make it a little stronger , or add some wood dowel, that will work too, as the 3/16 foamboard is a little thinner, and not as strong as the 6mm depron, my first pusher jet was made from foamboard, and it went almost 100 mph, that was a little to fast for me, so i went back to the BP21 motors for a speed of about 60 mph, my first pusher jet had a 3500kv motor and a 4.75x4.75 prop, and it moved real good here is a pic of it, Take care, Chellie

Chellie, being new to pusher jets I don't know where to get the small props (4.75 X 4.754). Any suggestions/recommendations?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 AM
oct2633

Default Oct2633

Hi Everyone I tried a few different motors and props on this pusher jet to try to get the best possible speed from these little Towerpro Motors, and I think that this is the best set up possible, as far as Towerpro motors go, I tried a 2408-21 with a 7x6, 6x6 and 6x5.5 prop at first and it was ok, then i tried a 2409-18 with a 8x8 prop, it did not give me the thrust and power i was looking for, the 2409-18 is better with a larger prop like a 10x5, and then I tried a 2409-12, with a 7x6 prop, that gave me the best speed and power, and i think thats the best I am going to be able to do with the Towerpro line of motors, that motor and prop combination according to Jeff at Heads Up Rc, has a 67mph prop pitch speed, and thats good enough for me, here is a video of the PINK PUSHER JET in action, Enjoy, Chellie

Chellie, how did you mount the 2409-12 motor? I am thinking of building this one and am still puzzled as to the way to mount the motor?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 AM
oct2633

Default Oct2633

Hi Bruce Thats what I am hopeing for 70 mph with a small jet like this, looks like mach 1.5 I ordered the motor, so it should be here in about a week, same with the prop, I think it should be fun, Take care and have a great weekend, Chellie

Chellie, what diameter CF tubing are you using in the wing?:p
Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by oct2633 View Post
Chellie, how did you mount the 2409-12 motor? I am thinking of building this one and am still puzzled as to the way to mount the motor?
Hi oct2633 If you are using a towerpro motor, a GWS universal stick motor mount will work, you will have to drill the mount to fit the motor, then I epoxy a 3/8" X 3/8" bass wood stick to the fuselage to mount the motor, or you can use a E-Flite mount, look at post 89, post 178 showes a inrunner motor mounted different on a GWS motor mount,

http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6043

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2386

Last edited by CHELLIE; 02-10-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie, what diameter CF tubing are you using in the wing?:p
Hi you can use a 4mm Cf Tube in the wing if your using foam board, or 5mm if your using 6mm depron, here is a great place to buy a small amount of 6mm depron cheap :p tell Dave that Chellie sent you

http://www.rcpowers.com/depron.htm
Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie, being new to pusher jets I don't know where to get the small props (4.75 X 4.754). Any suggestions/recommendations?

The 4.75 x 4.75 are used with high KV motors of 2500 to 3000KV, you dont need the 4.75 props with the towerpro Bell motors, If you are using a high speed, high Kv motor then you will need the smaller props, here is a place to get them at, if you need them, if you are going to use the 2409-12 motor, a 7x6 or 8x6 Slow Flight prop, SF , prop will be the best on a pusher jet, they are called SF slow flight props, but they are not slow

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...PS++&search=Go

the apc thin props work great too

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ops+&search=Go
Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

on mounting the motor, look at post 89, the wood is glued to the to of the wing under the top section of the fuselage, a small section needs to be cut out for the wood square stick, the stick, sticks out about 3/4"behind the wing, so the motor mount can slip on to it, the pusher above, shows a inrunner, mounted to a GWS motor mount, the inrunner is mounted inside the motor mount, a outrunner motor will mount, outside of the motor mount as on post 89, the GWS motor mount is very universal, as you can mount motors on it a few ways, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
timotsc

I've been playing round with this Pink Foamie design but with several different slants.
The wing is made with LDPE foam which were offcuts from laptop packaging and the body scrap styrofoam - yep a recycled model. The radio gear is taken from an old Esky Lama 4 helicopter & as the heli has contra rotating blades with a twin brushed motors the speed of which is adjusted using the rudder stick, I'm attempting to use this as a twin with rudder/throttle differential in the same way.

I had to add heaps of weight (about 1/3 of the total aircraft weight) on the nose (black tape covering the lead) to get it the proposed balance point which isn't good at all, total weight about 400 grams. The first flight was today and it didn't go that well, the plane flew ok, had a very quick roll rate and looked very good in the air but I couldn't climb higher 3 metres.

So soon it's off with the styrofoam and on with a depron body with the battery mounted as far forward as I can go, hopefully with no extra weight needed.

If that doesn't work I guess it'll be an outrunner required.
See a video of the motors in action (but not run at full throttle) demonstrating how they do differential.
http://www.users.on.net/~tacsmith/TwinMotor.mpg

NB The model isn't dressed up at all due to the weight issue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2305.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	59119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg
Views:	1344
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	59120  
Old 03-11-2008, 05:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by timotsc View Post
I've been playing round with this Pink Foamie design but with several different slants.
The wing is made with LDPE foam which were offcuts from laptop packaging and the body scrap styrofoam - yep a recycled model. The radio gear is taken from an old Esky Lama 4 helicopter & as the heli has contra rotating blades with a twin brushed motors the speed of which is adjusted using the rudder stick, I'm attempting to use this as a twin with rudder/throttle differential in the same way.

I had to add heaps of weight (about 1/3 of the total aircraft weight) on the nose (black tape covering the lead) to get it the proposed balance point which isn't good at all, total weight about 400 grams. The first flight was today and it didn't go that well, the plane flew ok, had a very quick roll rate and looked very good in the air but I couldn't climb higher 3 metres.

So soon it's off with the styrofoam and on with a depron body with the battery mounted as far forward as I can go, hopefully with no extra weight needed.

If that doesn't work I guess it'll be an outrunner required.
See a video of the motors in action (but not run at full throttle) demonstrating how they do differential.
http://www.users.on.net/~tacsmith/TwinMotor.mpg

NB The model isn't dressed up at all due to the weight issue.
Hi, It looks good these pusher jets need at least 20 oz of thrust to fly right, the flat wing does not offer very much lift, Soooo its all thrust thats making it work, Hobby City has a nice tp outruner, its the 2408-21, with a ESC and Prop, use a GWS 7x6 SF Prop, and a 3 cell lipo of about 1300 to 1600mah 15 to 20C rated, and it will fly great for you, also, add the wing carbon fiber tube or some bass wood to make the wing stronger, in a dive or hard turn, the wings will start to flap on you, the pusher jet in the build is designed to do about 100Mph, I have had it at about 75 to 80 mph, thats the reason for the 2 carbon fiber tubes in the wing, here is a link to a outrunner motor, and check out there LoongMax lipos, great prices and they work very well, I have 4 of the loongMax Lipos, Take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4853
Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 AM
timotsc

Ok well here is where I have got to. The ex Heli radio gear and motors are gone as well as the foam nose as it just wasn't powerful enough.
In it's place a TowerPro brushless motor, Spektrum DX7 radio gear, Ar6100 reciever installed and a new fuselage made from black Depron.

It looks like I may not have to add any weight in the nose unlike the last configuration so might give it a fly tonight and se how it performs.

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	59611  
Old 03-15-2008, 09:39 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Ok well here is where I have got to. The ex Heli radio gear and motors are gone as well as the foam nose as it just wasn't powerful enough.
In it's place a TowerPro brushless motor, Spektrum DX7 radio gear, Ar6100 reciever installed and a new fuselage made from black Depron.

It looks like I may not have to add any weight in the nose unlike the last configuration so might give it a fly tonight and se how it performs.
Good luck to you on your maiden flight, Chellie
Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 AM
timotsc

Default maiden flight

Well surprisingly enough for me all went pretty well on the first flight/s. I emptied 2 batteries in succession (2s 1000mah LIPO's) and after a little trimming and just a few 'heart in mouth' moments it was very flyable. There's certainly plenty of power with the TP 2408-21 motor with a GWS 8" prop and it's amazingly quiet comparing it to my mini slinger motor (or probably the prop).
There's a lot for me to get to know quickly as I'm new to 2.4g radio's, brushless motors and a model as fast as this.

It came out a little heaver than I wanted @ 340grams (12oz) flight-ready so to slow it down a bit for landing I decided to set up the DX7 with flaperons. What I didn't count on was when flying at about 2 metres height, the nose sharply dropping when I lowered the flaps the first stage (and you should have seen it on full flaps ) as I was totally expecting the nose to rise. Anyone have ideas as to what this is about.

Trimming is something I struggle a bit with so can anyone pass on some ideas on how to:
  • determine if the motor thrust line is correct. Could it be that when trimmed right and power applied the model doesn't tend to raise it's nose but just goes faster, climbing as a result.
  • know the balance is right. What process could I go through to know where the correct balance point is? It's balanced as per Chellie's plans but the model does have some significant differences to Chellie's design.
Now I might dress it up a little, if nothing else just so I can see which way it's heading as I don't find white against a cloudy sky very easy..
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Well surprisingly enough for me all went pretty well on the first flight/s. I emptied 2 batteries in succession (2s 1000mah LIPO's) and after a little trimming and just a few 'heart in mouth' moments it was very flyable. There's certainly plenty of power with the TP 2408-21 motor with a GWS 8" prop and it's amazingly quiet comparing it to my mini slinger motor (or probably the prop).
There's a lot for me to get to know quickly as I'm new to 2.4g radio's, brushless motors and a model as fast as this.

It came out a little heaver than I wanted @ 340grams (12oz) flight-ready so to slow it down a bit for landing I decided to set up the DX7 with flaperons. What I didn't count on was when flying at about 2 metres height, the nose sharply dropping when I lowered the flaps the first stage (and you should have seen it on full flaps ) as I was totally expecting the nose to rise. Anyone have ideas as to what this is about.

Trimming is something I struggle a bit with so can anyone pass on some ideas on how to:
  • determine if the motor thrust line is correct. Could it be that when trimmed right and power applied the model doesn't tend to raise it's nose but just goes faster, climbing as a result.
  • know the balance is right. What process could I go through to know where the correct balance point is? It's balanced as per Chellie's plans but the model does have some significant differences to Chellie's design.
Now I might dress it up a little, if nothing else just so I can see which way it's heading as I don't find white against a cloudy sky very easy..
Hi Tim Glad you got it to fly well, The CG is just a starting point, every plane will fly a little different, move your CG around untill its where you like it at, The trim on the motor is level, 0 degrees, no right or left thrust is needed, it looks like you used a thicker foam on the wing, so you might heve some different flight Charcteristics on your plane than i do on mine, Hope that helps, Chellie
Old 03-25-2008, 04:22 AM
timotsc

I now know where too far back the CG is after trying a very small/light battery. The plane wallowed around for a few minutes pointing close to vertical and I couldn't get the nose down so had to flop it in.

All in all it's working great though. It's had about 20 batteries with no crashes yet and I had to put on color tape to see it properly in the low light I tend to fly it in.

I'm trying a dual rudder ATM - first thoughts are it isn't necessary and just adds a bit more weight.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 AM
diverdon

Hi Chellie , Been building a "Boomer" started with 1 of those $20 "Wild Wing" planes from Sport Flyers .. I read where it is supposto be easy to fly and hard to break ???

What I have noticed is that it looks a lot like the "Pink Pusher Jet" of yours ?? I build 1 of these and it is hanging from the celing as I am scared to fly it .. Oh Well ..

Hey the Berg people "Bishop" took care of the bad crystal no problem ... I have added them to my list of good people to deal with .. Personel service .. No voice mail etc. Thanks for the turn on of them ..

Your not so secret admirer , Don J.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Hi Chellie , Been building a "Boomer" started with 1 of those $20 "Wild Wing" planes from Sport Flyers .. I read where it is supposto be easy to fly and hard to break ???

What I have noticed is that it looks a lot like the "Pink Pusher Jet" of yours ?? I build 1 of these and it is hanging from the celing as I am scared to fly it .. Oh Well ..

Hey the Berg people "Bishop" took care of the bad crystal no problem ... I have added them to my list of good people to deal with .. Personel service .. No voice mail etc. Thanks for the turn on of them ..

Your not so secret admirer , Don J.
Thats great to hear Don, Troy Has been great to work with, and has taken care of of us Wattflyers If anyone is interested in the best of the best receiver for FM, check out these Berg Receivers, I have resolved all of my glitching problems using these Awesome receivers, its almost like having a 2.4 spectrum, as these receivers lock on to your transmitter, and with free crystal and free shipping , and being on Sale, you can beat them, I like the MS4L receivers, Take care, Chellie

http://b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=39
Old 08-17-2008, 10:58 PM
grhal

Default Pink Pusher Jet by Chellie

New to foamies and want to build this. One question is, I notice the Stab/Elevator mounting position is shown in many different locations on the boom. How far down the boom from the top should it be? Awesome thread - keep up the great work. Hal
Old 08-18-2008, 01:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by grhal View Post
New to foamies and want to build this. One question is, I notice the Stab/Elevator mounting position is shown in many different locations on the boom. How far down the boom from the top should it be? Awesome thread - keep up the great work. Hal
Hi Grhal Thank you for the complements the elevator on mine is 1" from the top of the stab, you can place it flush with the top if you wanted too, its not all that critical, anywhere from flush to 1 1/4" below the top of the stap is fine, here is a video of the pusher jet, Enjoy, Chellie

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBEuxIkZY4[/media]

also, check out the mavrick MK2 from RC products, a lot of the guys in my flying club are really likeing this plane its sweet, I have the Mavrick Cap, and have the MK2 also, I need to assemble the MK2 have not done it yet, its still in the box, Shame on me soon, here is the link if your interested, Take care, Chellie

http://www.rc-products.net/default.asp

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz5ilV8jQRM&feature=user[/media]
Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
grhal

Default Depron

A fellow rc'r referred me to RCFOAM.com as a source of Depron. Their web site indicates you can now buy single sheets of depron, and they also have a neat sample pack. Could not find the link to single sheets, so e-mailed them today and within 30 minutes had a telephone call from STEVE at rcfoam who explained the procedure. You either have to call them or e-mail them for single sheet orders. You can bet I will be dealing with them from now on with this extraordinary customer service. Hal
Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 AM
swass rc dawg

I made this wing to nite to fly tomorrow but I don't know if the power setup will work there is the speed 300 electifly c7 nano esc 4" prop 900 mah two cell lipo 10c battery 32'' span & 9'' at CL can you help oh yea there is A spruce stick on LE.

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	88897   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	88898   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	88899   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	88900  

Last edited by swass rc dawg; 01-03-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 AM
swass rc dawg

I do have A graupner cam folding prop 4.7 2.4'' but I dont know how to make it A pusher
Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Rattlecat

Default Pink Pusher

I like that Pink Pusher, but would go with the blue. What I'd really like to do is to make it larger, like 40 to 50" wing.
Now, how to manage resizing the rest of it and where would the CG be ?

RC

Quick Reply: Pink Pusher Jet Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17590 seconds with 20 queries