Capricorn - the ultimate flying boat. - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Capricorn - the ultimate flying boat.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Larry,

The bottom center reinforcing strip seems like a very good place to mount the battery. Lots of adjustment available by mounting it underneath. Are there any issues with the battery if it gets wet?
I havent had any issues with wet packs - yet.

I used to mount mine on top all the time. When the thing was upside down the pack was completely submerged along with the motor. When the packs are mounted underneath, they get spray from the sponsons. Its a trade off.

Since I re-built the latest one, I mounted the rx and esc inside that space underneath. My center brace is a little small so my packs wont fit all the way inside, but Im still mounting them underneath as well.

It makes for a much cleaner look.

These pics are from the small version, but the big one is the same way now.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3921 (Small).JPG
Views:	518
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	49472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3932 (Small).JPG
Views:	566
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	49473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3933 (Small).JPG
Views:	581
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	49474  
Old 12-15-2007, 02:01 PM
leadfeather

Do you have an access hatch for the Rx and esc, or do you stuff them in the front of the space formed by the center brace? Do you close off this space?

I'm hoping to make some progress on mine today.

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
I havent had any issues with wet packs - yet.

I used to mount mine on top all the time. When the thing was upside down the pack was completely submerged along with the motor. When the packs are mounted underneath, they get spray from the sponsons. Its a trade off.

Since I re-built the latest one, I mounted the rx and esc inside that space underneath. My center brace is a little small so my packs wont fit all the way inside, but Im still mounting them underneath as well.

It makes for a much cleaner look.

These pics are from the small version, but the big one is the same way now.

Larry
Old 12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Larry3215

You cant see it in those pics, but the rx is back where the wires enter the brace. I cut a rough "hatch" out (hold the hobby knife at a slight angle to bevel the edges of the cut so the hatch wont go in too far) then just use Blenderm Tape to hold it in place.

The esc is also in the space under the brace. Its just stuffed in behind the hole I cut for the battery.

I leave the entire triangular space open from end to end. that lets cooling air get to the esc and any water that gets in can drain out easily at the rear end.

Larry

Last edited by Larry3215; 10-27-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 AM
leadfeather

Here are a couple of pics of my build so far.

I decided to do all the hinges and servo work before putting the W into the wing; much easier to work with everything flat. The wing panels are joined with tape at this time to allow them to hinge and form the W easily.

I'm going to put the Rx and esc in the center channel and the battery is going on the bottom. Since there will be nothing on top, I'm going to do a simple profile fuse.

The elevon push rods were made from 1/8" carbon tube split down the middle. The last inch or so is not split and has a an outer sleeve to to stop the split at that point. The back of the push rods have 1" bits of threaded rod lashed and glued in place. The clevises go on the threaded rod and allow individual adjustment of each elevon.

Name:	Capricorn 001.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	49523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capricorn 002.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	49524  
Old 12-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Larry3215

Interesting idea on the controll rods!

I'll have to remember that trick

Larry
Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM
leadfeather

The only thing I would change is that I would angle the horns to line up better with the push rods.

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Interesting idea on the controll rods!

I'll have to remember that trick

Larry
Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
boberos

Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
boberos

Old 12-16-2007, 05:32 PM
boberos

Finally, I got a couple of pics to post.

Note 1) added water rudder area glued on bottom of fin for better water steering.

Note 2) Added bamboo shishkebab stick across & through wings as a crack repair. Not shown as it was added after pics were taken.

Enjoy,
Bob
Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
boberos

Old 12-16-2007, 05:49 PM
boberos

Old 12-16-2007, 05:50 PM
boberos

Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Larry3215

For some reason Im not seeing any of your pics Bob.

Larry
Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 AM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

Default Finally got started on my build.

I finally got started a few days ago and I've made pretty good progress with only 3 or 4 things I'd like to do better :-) It seems my Cap is a bit wider than it should be (31" vs 29") but I suppose it won't make that much difference since Larry said the angles of the "W" didn't matter all that much...

I've decided to build this one optimized for snow since I won't see open water for probably 4 months. I'm keeping the bottom totally clean for that purpose.

We're having a big snow storm tonight and it will rain afterwards (already started). We have crazy weather along the coast of the northern Atlantic!

Pictures are attached. I added one of my driveway for effect and because there is nothing all that different about my Cap except for the construction mistakes if you look closely.

RM

Name:	DSC_0683.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	49601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0684.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	49602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0686.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	49603  
Old 12-17-2007, 03:19 AM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

Oh, I forgot to mention that one thing I discovered about Sumo glue which maybe everyone knows already is that you must dampen the depron when it is really dry (like it is here) or it will take hours for the glue to set up. I soaked a paper towel and ran it across the edge of the cut and let it sit for a few minutes before applying the glue and it made a huge difference.

RM
Old 12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

Default Thrust angles?

I'm going to tackle the motor mount tonight and I was wondering about the thrust angles. In Larry's sketches it says there should be 3 to 4 degrees of up and 3 to 4 degrees of right. Creating the up angle is easy but it's not obvious how to make the right angle effectively. Cutting an accurate slot at an angle for the motor mount seems problematic. Any suggestions? I guess the other question I'd ask is how important is this?

RM
Old 12-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Larry3215

Hi RM,

Lookin good!

On thrust angles - how much up thrust you need varies depending on how hi the motor is mounted above the top V joint.

The taller the motor mount, the more up thrust you need.

On my small version, I was able to mount the motor very low - right on the V. That one didnt need any up thrust.

Right thrust isnt critical. This isnt a patern plane and I doubt you'd notice if it was set to zero. I wouldnt bother trying to cut the slots on an angle.

What I do is just glue the stick on slightly cocked to one side, then add a side brace in Depron. Sometimes I have done a brace on both sides when Im running larger motors.

See the attached pics for several different views of various ones Ive done.

All of mine do have a small amount of right thrust. I dont measure it - its TLAR

Larry

Name:	motor mount.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	49689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374 (Medium).JPG
Views:	750
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	49690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375 (Medium).JPG
Views:	683
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	49691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3856 (Small).JPG
Views:	656
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	49692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3865 (Small).JPG
Views:	652
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	49693  

Old 12-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Larry3215

By the way - here is how I test for correct thrust angles.

First you must get the CG set correctly. If its too far forward or too far back, the up thrust cant be set as well.

Again, this isnt a patern plane so its not all that critical.

Get the cg where you want it, the closer to neutral the better (but twitchier) it will be.

Next, trim the model so it flies straight and level at full throttle. Then abruptly cut the throttle.

If the model climbs when you chop the throttle, then you have too much down thrust.

If the model abruptly dives, then you have too much UP thrust.

Idealy, the model should start a slow decent with no abrupt up or down pitches when the throttle is cut.

You can also check by starting at low speeds and abruptly go to full power. If the model climbs radically = too much UP thrust.

If it dives = too much down thrust.

Be aware that climbing/diving with throttle changes can also be caused by nose/tail heavy condition so thats why you set the CG first.

To check right thrust, first go hi then point the model at you and dive at about a 45 degree angle - power off.

Trim the rudder for a straight 45 degree glide with no side to side turning. By the way - this is also another way to check for cg issues - the glide should be dead flat on the 45 with no climb or diving away from the 45 degree line.

Once the rudder trim is set, then do the same thing but do it climbing away going UP on a 45 with power on. Does the model pull to either side? Adjust side thrust as needed.

You can also check by climbing straight up and see which way it pulls, but the 45 degree climb is going to be closer to your normal flying speed so I like it better.

Larry

Last edited by Larry3215; 10-27-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 PM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

Thanks Larry, those last two messages are very valuable! I have been trying to figure out why my E-Starter behaves the way it does and now I realize it desperately needs some down thrust (it immediately goes near vertical on full throttle).

On my Cap I think I am going to be able to get the motor mounted quite close to the 'V' because I am planning to use a GWS stick mount. Perhaps I will start with no up thrust and then put shims between the motor and the mount if I need it.

RM
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

Default An interesting test...

I thought I would mention an interesting test that I did with the Cap in its current state of build (main body + sponsons only). Just out of curiosity I tried giving it a gentle launch by hand in my home office from about waist high (just like a paper airplane) and it did a graceful and perfect decent to the carpet. I had to do it about 5 times before I believed it!

BTW in spite of its rather large size it weighs exactly 8 oz at this stage which I find pretty amazing.

RM
Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM
paulhealey

hi folks!im currently flying a gemini,well still trying to get it set up properly!there is just no one in the uk that flies them.Anyway i do fly it and it flies ok,but why do i need lets say 5mm up elevator and 3mm up aileron trim,for straight and level flight?the instructions show neutral surfaces.i tried this but crashed.The c,g is as robbe recommends.
larry can you tell me what you mean by 'c,g being close to neural'?what does neutral mean?
Now where can i find some 6mm depron?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM
paulhealey

here it is.

Name:	SV100844.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	49737  
Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
boberos

Thats weird, larry,

Post 131 a pic of approach to land.
Post 132 Banked turn
Post 135 just after T.O.
Post 136 Taxiing

The pics appear on my computer screen; quite large in fact. Am I the only person that can see them?

Bob
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM
leadfeather

Default No pics

These posts are all blanks on my computer too, no pics.

Originally Posted by boberos View Post
Thats weird, larry,

Post 131 a pic of approach to land.
Post 132 Banked turn
Post 135 just after T.O.
Post 136 Taxiing

The pics appear on my computer screen; quite large in fact. Am I the only person that can see them?

Bob
Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Larry3215

Sorry guys - I typed out a looooooooong reply to answer all these q's and then pushed the wrong button and lost it all!!!

I'll have to get back to you later tonight.

Larry

Quick Reply: Capricorn - the ultimate flying boat.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14236 seconds with 24 queries