Capricorn - the ultimate flying boat. - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Capricorn - the ultimate flying boat.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

You guys need to get/post some video!

Larry
Old 12-24-2007, 01:37 AM
leadfeather

Big snow storm yesterday. No wind today. Did some great flying off of the snow.

Love those "one sponson down" turns accross the snow!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:59 PM
DBacon

Try the Hong Kong shop:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp#
I got two Towerpro Motor/ESC/Prop combos for a boat project. I burnt up one ESC (don't know how...) and have the other ready to maiden, but my lake froze...

So this winter, I will build Larry's Capricorn, small and light, out of 3mm Depron.

Larry, thanks for your move to this site, and keeping us informed.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Hey there Larry, im having a blast with the Flying Sled off the snow here. I love the way it just about stands still in a slight breeze and just touches down in the snow and then runs around the yard on one sponson. I am charging up the Batt. right now but i was out with it twice allready this mourning.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:06 AM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

Default Finally!

Finally got my Capricorn in the air! On the maiden flight the only mishap was one tip of the right sponson breaking off and that was only because I was getting a bit carried away :-)

Cheers,

RM
Old 12-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by DBacon View Post
Try the Hong Kong shop:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp#
I got two Towerpro Motor/ESC/Prop combos for a boat project. I burnt up one ESC (don't know how...) and have the other ready to maiden, but my lake froze...

So this winter, I will build Larry's Capricorn, small and light, out of 3mm Depron.

Larry, thanks for your move to this site, and keeping us informed.
Thank you for the complement!

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Hey there Larry, im having a blast with the Flying Sled off the snow here. I love the way it just about stands still in a slight breeze and just touches down in the snow and then runs around the yard on one sponson. I am charging up the Batt. right now but i was out with it twice allready this mourning.
Im glad your enjoying it as much as I like mine. Slow flight mixed with wild acrobatics is where this thing really shines.

Originally Posted by RocketMan View Post
Finally got my Capricorn in the air! On the maiden flight the only mishap was one tip of the right sponson breaking off and that was only because I was getting a bit carried away :-)

Cheers,

RM
Congrats RM! I dont think breaking off one little sponson tip qualifies as up-holding the "maiden event" tradition and thats a good thing! Id like to see that one go away! Im glad it wasnt any worse and especially glad your enjoying it!

One of you guys needs to get some VIDEO!

Larry
Old 12-29-2007, 06:50 PM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

Since my last message I've flown the Capricorn a couple of more times both yesterday and today. Yesterday was probably a bit too windy for flying a new model (15 mph) and I ended up breaking off both sponsons and putting a crack in one body panel, entirely due to pilot error I have to admit. Curiously the crack was not along the support on the bottom and all damage was easily repaired. Today in calmer air and with me being more used to it, it flew like a dream. A couple of guys I fly with said they both want to build one for the winter. It really does do well on the snow but I find it trickier scooting along the snow than flying :-)

Thanks for sharing your creation with us Larry!

I started a new web album with the first two pictures of the Capricorn just before the maiden flight:

http://picasaweb.google.com/RocketMa...rnMaidenFlight

There is some strapping tape on the sponsons now...

RM
Old 12-30-2007, 05:50 AM
Larry3215

Yup, the closer you stay to the ground the more likely you are to have 'events'. But thats where most of the fun is!

I was out in the snow today too. Im reminded once again that snow is not as forgiving as water AND the cold makes the foam more brittle. I did a bunch of ground running too and sliding sideways across the snow at speed. Its cool!

However, when I retrieved the plane the last time I found that both of the bottom fins behind the sponsons had broken loose. Probably from hitting bumps in the snow going sideways.

Ah well, an easy fix

I found out today that 2 more guys in the club have Capricorns finished. One of those just maidened with no issues on the first flight, but it ended up in a tree on the first water maiden!

I think we are up to 12 or 13 Capricorns and 'W's in my local club. On top of that, Jed has sold several dozen more over the last year all around the state as well as some in Arizona and possibly other places.

I think we are going to take over the world next

Larry
Old 12-30-2007, 05:57 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Larry I had an Event with my Giant Hydro today, it went in, It was too heavy, and took a long taxi to get flying, I was taking off, and it got to close to a fence, and cars, so I had to shut it down, Oh well, I will be building a big Capricorn to replace it with take care, Chellie
Old 12-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Larry3215

Oh no! I know how much that hurts!

Your giant hydro, in fact almost all the hydro's, look cooler than the Capricorn. I think you'll find the Capricorn flys better in many ways (not all, but most) and is easier to build and repair.

For sure you wont need as much power

Or... are you going to do a GIANT one???

Keep us posted!

Larry
Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Oh no! I know how much that hurts!

Your giant hydro, in fact almost all the hydro's, look cooler than the Capricorn. I think you'll find the Capricorn flys better in many ways (not all, but most) and is easier to build and repair.

For sure you wont need as much power

Or... are you going to do a GIANT one???

Keep us posted!

Larry
Hi Larry I have some 9mm depron thats just laying around here, Just Begging to become a Capricorn with 9mm Depron, how big would you make it, I will follow your lead, Take care, Chellie
Old 12-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Larry3215

9mm? Hmmmmmm Ive never worked with 9mm but.....

Id guess you could very safely go to 133% of the original scale and probably to as much as 150% without too much stress on the structure or needing much if any extra bracing.

I would make the center bottom brace even wider scale wise. If you go 133% on the main portions, make that center brace piece 175% wide and run it the full lenght front to back.

If you go 150% size, make the bottom brace 200-225% of the width I show on the plan.

I would also lower the motor so it mounts directly in-line with the top of the center V - dont raise it up like I have it. You will have more than enough prop clearance.

Id also go zero up/down thrust line and about 4 degrees of right thrust.

Weight will go up a good bit so Id shoot for 200+ watts. Maybe a 3S 2100 pack and a motor that will spin a 10 or 11 inch prop for 200 to 300 watts.

You will probably also need stronger servos than HS55's. Maybe around 25-30 in/ounce torque. Or you could go with one on each surface, but then you'd need a seperate BEC with 5 servos.

Should be impressive in the air!

Larry
Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 PM
paulhealey

Does anyone think they know the answer to my glitching problem on my gemini?It always happens around fullish throttle when flying probably 30 meters and beyond.did a test today,had the wife hold the model while i walked away from her holding it,then i was opening and shutting the throttle, full power then off.And there it was,at around 60 feet when i opened the throttle all servos and motor go crazy!the range is excellent with motor off,but turn it on then its just a joke.ive crashed twice because of this.im using a gws 6ch rec,hi model 25amp esc,and a hitech optic 6 tranny.could the esc bec be feeding 'noise'to the receiver?(at around full throttle).this is really bugging me as it makes flying the model an absolute headache! I wonder if im paying the price now, by buying a cheap esc?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by paulhealey View Post
Does anyone think they know the answer to my glitching problem on my gemini?It always happens around fullish throttle when flying probably 30 meters and beyond.did a test today,had the wife hold the model while i walked away from her holding it,then i was opening and shutting the throttle, full power then off.And there it was,at around 60 feet when i opened the throttle all servos and motor go crazy!the range is excellent with motor off,but turn it on then its just a joke.ive crashed twice because of this.im using a gws 6ch rec,hi model 25amp esc,and a hitech optic 6 tranny.could the esc bec be feeding 'noise'to the receiver?(at around full throttle).this is really bugging me as it makes flying the model an absolute headache! I wonder if im paying the price now, by buying a cheap esc?

Hi Paul There are a lot of things that can cause that, a weak receiver, a crystal going bad, loose connections, receiver placed to close to your ESC, motor, causing RFI, wires crossing other wires causing RFI, Radio frequency Interference, poor filtering in your receiver, receiver antenna wire to close to electronics or motor, transmitter has a weak signal, the best thing to do is try another Receiver, move the wires and receiver as far away from other electronics and try that, here is a great receiver, its one of the best of the best, its a berg MS4L, its on sale, with Free crystal and free Shipping, Hurry, sale is over Today, Take care, Chellie

http://b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=39
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Larry3215

I agree with everything Chellie said.

The Berg recievers are the best on the market, by a large margin, and not much more $$ than the cheep stuff. They really do work very well.

I suspect your GWS rx most of all. They are not very good at rejecting interference. About as bad as the Cirus ones. The Hymodel esc's arent the best thing going either and tend to be noisier than the better esc's.

Thats a bad combo (noisy esc and poor reciever) to try to use in a tight space - the Gemini doesnt leave you much room to seperate things out and the esc to rx/antena distance is the most critical.

Try positioning the esc as far forward as possible. Id try to get the rx mounted as far aft as possible. Try to keep the antena leads away from ALL the other leads as much as possible and have the antena exit out the rear. Bundle the servo leads together and twist them if you can. Keep the esc to rx lead seperate from all other wires.

Keep the battery leads and the esc leads away from the rx and the antena if possible.

As you know the Gemini is a tight fit on stuff, so most of these recomendations are not easy to do and keep the cg within range, but do your best. It may help.

Interference is a tricky thing. Sometimes just moveing things around a little bit will help a lot.

Good luck!

Larry
Old 01-03-2008, 12:50 AM
boberos

Paul,

Your Rx is picking up an rf signal from your motor.
Replace Rx.
The Berg, Lepton5, & Chinese clones will do a better job for you.
you can save you GWS Rx for indoor flyers.

Bob
Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 AM
RocketMan
What a Blast!

I know that almost everyone here has an investment in 72 MHz technology and I started late, but since I bought my Futaba 2.4 GHz system I haven't had the slightest radio problem even once! Just my 2 cents worth...

RM
Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Larry3215

On that note - I have been waiting out the development issues with 2.4, but Im about ready to make the jump as well.

Waiting to see if Futaba is going to come out with a decent 2.4 radio.

If they dont get one soon, I'll have to switch over to JR I guess. Not looking forward to that!

I've also been holding back because I have 14 recievers from 4 ch up to 9 chanell and that cost alone is going to hurt!

Larry
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Larry JR is one of the best radios out there, After I went to a JR radio, I have had no more trouble at all, JR radio and Berg receiver is a tough combination to beat for FM , 2.4 is much better, I will be getting a 2.4 soon, it will be a JR Take care, Chellie

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
On that note - I have been waiting out the development issues with 2.4, but Im about ready to make the jump as well.

Waiting to see if Futaba is going to come out with a decent 2.4 radio.

If they dont get one soon, I'll have to switch over to JR I guess. Not looking forward to that!

I've also been holding back because I have 14 recievers from 4 ch up to 9 chanell and that cost alone is going to hurt!

Larry
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RocketMan View Post
I know that almost everyone here has an investment in 72 MHz technology and I started late, but since I bought my Futaba 2.4 GHz system I haven't had the slightest radio problem even once! Just my 2 cents worth...

RM
Hi RM All of us Old Timers have the FM radios, and just find it hard to part with an old friend but sooner or later we will catch up to 2.4 tech. Take care, Chellie
Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Larry3215

Yeah, were all going to be there (2.4) ready or not in a few more years I suspect.

If I was honest Id have to admit that JR has some very nice features.

On the other hand Ive been a Futaba guy since the last Ice Age, so its going to be hard to switch!

Larry
Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM
leadfeather

The new synthesized Rx's for the 72 mHz are a lot cheaper than the Spektrum type Rx's. I'll be keeping my Futaba Tx for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM
paulhealey

Thanx for your replies.my receiver is as far aft as i can get it from my esc,in fact the esc is underneath the fuse,to catch maximum airflow,which works great.this distance is around 6 inches.The antennae runs straight aft without cross-pathing any other wires.
The receiver is picking up 'noise' under load from either the esc fets or the bec,does a brushless motor induce any noise?no sparks ,no contacts?i dont know.I guess ill have to buy another receiver and try that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SV100846.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	50931  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Larry3215

Sounds like you have the layout as good as your going to get it.

The motor itself is probably not the problem.

I have seen it where the bearings in a large motor were generating noise - dry bearings or grit in them, but thats very rare and you would be able to hear it very well.

On these small motors I think a bad bearing would probably keep it from turning before it got that bad.

Its most likely the esc, but could be a servo as the source.

There are also ferrite donuts or beads that can be used on the esc to rx lead. Wind the lead thru the ferrite a few times and its supposed to reduce the rf noise getting to the rx. I have had limited luck with them tho. Ive also tried small choke coils with similar small or no improvements.

As I said before, sometimes fixing noise problems is a little like voodoo. Ive taken everything out of a plane, checked it all out, then put all the same stuff back in and had it work fine.

In that case it was almost ceertainly a conector problem and unplugging it and putting it back fixed it. It could have also been that the stuff wasnt in exactly the same locations when it went back and THAT fixed it

Larry
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
snakecrew

Default capricorn

Built a white one had trouble seeing it being we just got 10' of snow here in Colorado.

So I got some black depron from rcpowers.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0872.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	51333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0873.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	51334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0874.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	51335  

Quick Reply: Capricorn - the ultimate flying boat.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10485 seconds with 15 queries