How many lipo batteries do you own and how old is your oldest lipo batt? - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

How many lipo batteries do you own and how old is your oldest lipo batt?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 AM
turokforever

and i have just added another 7 2cells. just for my indoor EPP foamy & my CX2 heli.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 AM
BEX

Slow down turokforever :O , Can you even fly all your Lipos in one day anymore?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
turokforever

Originally Posted by BEX View Post
Slow down turokforever :O , Can you even fly all your Lipos in one day anymore?
if we had the weather i would give it a good go. most were got secondhand. so i haven't really spent to much. i did have a thing about servos at one point. i had 14 fully flying planes + i had 40+ spare servos . but saying that i have about 15 spare receivers. im not rich but if i see a real bargain i have to go for it.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 PM
turokforever

i forgot to say i have another TP 2100mah 3 cell.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 PM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

I have 4 lipos. I have 4 planes. I dunno, it just seemed like the right number of batteries...

PS. Leutennant, the battery in your picture looks more crashed than puffed.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:33 AM
turokforever

[quote=phupper;511866]I have 4 lipos. I have 4 planes. I dunno, it just seemed like the right number of batteries...

because the weather in the UK is so bad. you need to have a load of lipos. and this is why. you keep a eye on the weather report so when it says 2 days of sun you charger some up. then wait until it looks good then hit the field as soon as possible. then get as much flying in as you can. we just don't have the time to hang around charging. and this year has seen a lot of rc flyer's leave the sport. as we never had a summer. the weather this year was just rubbish. hot but windy. or calm but raining or calm with no rain or wind but it was freezing cold. and the evenings were even worse. i got a zagi because of all the wind but even the zagi was no good in most of the wind we had. i even had the time to do all my winter projects in the middle of the summer.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:19 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

I guess I never considered the severe weather factor. I'm spoiled living here in San Diego, where we had a long dry summer. The only indication that winter is starting is we finally had some rain last night. I'm lucky that, with a few exceptions, I can fly any day through the winter. If I fly all 4 planes in a day that's usually enough for me.

Phil
Old 11-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

I guess I have 3. None of them are older than 12 or 13 months.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

I've got 30 or 40. Most are fairly old ones that still work, but I worry about using them due to their age. the oldest I have are 2 2 cell of the original Kokam 1020's...they would fly a GWS Pico Tiger Moth for close to an hour...This was back when you couldn't even get them in a pack, you had to solder them yourself. at the time the only options were the Kokams and the qualcomm Gosh, how many years ago was it that those came out.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:04 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Build Review A Bunch

These are my working LiPo's:
04 - 3s 2100mAH (there's 2 in the trash from crashes, brand new one too)
01 - 3s 1800mAH (lost 1 due to a cell failure)
10 - 3s 800mAH (Lost 1 in a crash & 1 due to a cell failure, made a new one from these)
04 - 2s 700mAH (lost 1 due to a cell failure)

Had some CHINA CRAP Tenergy v1 batteries that don't last long. the newer v2 seem to be better. I tried these because some people told me about them, they're ok. I also have a Tenergy balancing charger that I really like but they've changed the newer model already. I rewire all of my balance connectors to work with this charger so I don't have to use the adapters that came with it. Everyone is going with the E-flite wiring now.

I really like Common Sense. Their smaller batteries are a bit cheaper but the larger ones cost about the same as everyone else. The small LiPo's come with a JST connector just like E-flite's.

Then there's the 800mAH E-flite's that I like just as well as Common Sense but they cost more. Large E-flite come with connectors and since I use the EC3 connector I don't mind that.

Thunderpower... Everyone talks about them but the charging connectors don't fit my charger and they're expensive. Horizon owns them so they're just about the same as E-flite batteries.

Overall I've had most of these batteries for two seasons now; a little over a year now. Newer batteries seem to last better. LiPo's and other rechargables do get old and die just like everything else in the world. What will happen with LiPo's is a cell will die; keep them and you can use the good cells to fix another battery that dies. BE CAREFUL WORKING WITH LIPO'S!!!

Last edited by caltrop; 11-27-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by vonveska View Post
Well, I used to have 4, until one Saturday afternoon
http://www.varms.org.au/index.php/co...4579&g2_page=3 (see the smoke?) so now I have only 3
Sorry to see it happen like that. If they ever go bad without taking a plane with them, they can still provide some entertainment bang for the buck.
Nothing is more entertaining that watching a bunch of grown men blowing up lipos for fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0SN...eature=related
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
jonnyjetprop

Too many, if you ask my wife. Old 3s4p Thunder Power Gen 1 too long in the tooth for planes but doing nicely powering my cordless drill and flashlight. A couple of 2s 1200 Etec packs floating around in the bottom of the lipo box.

A couple of Gen 2 TP 3s 2100 are powering my transmitters. The biggest reason for buying a new pack is either changing requirements or just better cells comming to market. My FSB 3s 1320 prolights are finally showing their age after who knows how many cycles pulling 17-19 amps.

Currently running a whole bunch of Extreme ver. 1 packs for TP and a couple of Extreme ver. 2. While I have tried other brands, I seem to come back to Thunder Power for my needs.

John
Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
turokforever

i check all my lipos after each flight. and later that night i recheck them before storing them. well today i was checking all my lipos as i do every few weeks. and i found a 3 cell with a puffed up cell. the cell was dead but the other 2 were good. i would of tried to charge the pack but the puffed up cell was almost solid. but if it was soft i would of tried to charge it . like i have done to other packs. so i am at a lose of what happened as it was last checked about 7 hours after it was used. and all was fine.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
turokforever

just added another 3x 2cells i got them with a CX2
Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 AM
wesrob
Ned is my instructor!!!!!

Have about 10 or so. Oldest is TP 4100 3s that has been thru two hard crashes and still works fine.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

30+ more or less,,, my 5 year old electic-flys (GP) 920's are start'in to get a little weak, Common scene's Toast in a year, E-flight 2-cell 800's six months, I rebuild puffed ones and use um as Two & one cell app's,,Zippy's, Looong-max & Rhino's are all I buy anymore, bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 740.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	86414   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 749.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	86415   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 760.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	86416   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 357.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	86417   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 359.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	86418  

Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Little Black Duck
Daffy

Default Storing LiPos

G'day
You all seem to have stacks of LiPos
, but what I'd really like to know is - how do you store them, although I'm led to believe that they should have about 60% charge in them before putting them away for any length of time.
BUT how safe are they after that, just being kept in a box on the shelf?
I appreciate that considerable care has to be taken when actually charging, and should always be done through a Balancer, and outside, preferably under cover, but surely they'd be safe and inert after that? Because that's how they're shipped from the supplier!! ... and they definitely do not come in a fireproof container.
Mine actually did come partially charged, either wrapped in bubble-wrap in a cardboard box or padded mailing bag, with no apparent ill effects, and with no fire hazard warnings on the packaging either - some came from the USofA too, as well as here in Oz.

I can only assume that once charged up they're as safe as any other type of battery, if kept at a reasonable temperature - i.e. cool.
I'd appreciate, and be very interested in, any comments, or am I completely off-beam and walking a dangerous path, 'cos all 8 of my LiPos are stored, all together in a plastic box, on a shelf in my workshop, and some have been unused for months!
Hooroo - Daffy

Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Store LiPo's

I store mine fully charged the way the were when I left the field for the season. I keep them in the same bag/box I carry them in.

After they sit for a few months they get weak, that is there is not as much output as before. But after a couple of cycles the power is back up to normal. I find that if a battery is going to die it will do it in storage.

You probably only get about 2 years out of a battery just like cell phones.

Someone here said that Common Sense are junk. I've had some Common Sense going on two seasons now. I also have some E-flite batteries that are even older. Granted LiPo's from a few years back did die more quickly but the newer batteries seem to last quite a bit longer and even don't puff as much.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 AM
turokforever

just remember fully charged lipos have to be looked after more than a half charged one. as for storage it all depends how long you are going to store it for. FP say this for storage and it works for me. store long term 11.4 / 3.6 per cell.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM
vonveska

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Sorry to see it happen like that. If they ever go bad without taking a plane with them, they can still provide some entertainment bang for the buck.
Nothing is more entertaining that watching a bunch of grown men blowing up lipos for fun.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0SNESIkWk&feature=related[/media]
Thanks Bill for your condolencies. The video - either the bateries were no good or the men burning them for fun must have been well off. I am still crying for the one I lost (it was a good one). Although I built a new plane I miss the spare battery. But even three batteries give me (just) enough time for recharging in between flights (in good conditions I can stay in the air for an hour or more). But I am very careful now.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
jonnyjetprop

I store mine mostly fully charged, sice I fly year round in Florida. I store them in a metal toolbox in my house, so there is air conditioning.

John
Old 12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
G'day
You all seem to have stacks of LiPos, but what I'd really like to know is - how do you store them, although I'm led to believe that they should have about 60% charge in them before putting them away for any length of time.
BUT how safe are they after that, just being kept in a box on the shelf?
I appreciate that considerable care has to be taken when actually charging, and should always be done through a Balancer, and outside, preferably under cover, but surely they'd be safe and inert after that? Because that's how they're shipped from the supplier!! ... and they definitely do not come in a fireproof container.
Mine actually did come partially charged, either wrapped in bubble-wrap in a cardboard box or padded mailing bag, with no apparent ill effects, and with no fire hazard warnings on the packaging either - some came from the USofA too, as well as here in Oz.
I can only assume that once charged up they're as safe as any other type of battery, if kept at a reasonable temperature - i.e. cool.
I'd appreciate, and be very interested in, any comments, or am I completely off-beam and walking a dangerous path, 'cos all 8 of my LiPos are stored, all together in a plastic box, on a shelf in my workshop, and some have been unused for months!
Hooroo - Daffy
3.6-3.7 volts per cell is the normal for storage
if your going to be storing them for more than a couple weeks, then I would suggest storing them in a metal container like a metal toolbox or ammo can

If you do store the batterys for a lenthy period (more than a couple weeks) then it is best to cycle charge them at .5C or less... they don't like being stored and immediately put to a torture test at max C... they will usually have the highest possiblity of puffing at that point...

SK
Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
turokforever

well i got 4 straight days of flying in. and because my lipos haven't been used in about 3+ months i slow charged them at 0.25A. and i am getter longer run times as the weather is still cold. i have some more packs. and i have lost count on how many i have now.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

I wish the wind around here would stop long enough to get that much flying in. As it is, I haven't had but maybe 4 flights in 2 months.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

so far I have owned 9 lipos, and threw out my #4 lipo last week, lost my number 1. My #4 one got a little um.... bad.

Quick Reply: How many lipo batteries do you own and how old is your oldest lipo batt?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16210 seconds with 18 queries