New Spektrum Receiver, the AR500 - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Spektrum Receiver, the AR500

Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yeah whatever...
Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hey, this is really fun when the mods go after each other.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Kev's just paranoid.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Just to clarify, This is a 5 channel receiver with 6 slots (7 including bat slot) channels 1-5 and then a copy of the aileron channel on a 6th slot.

It is Not 4 channels with a copy of aileron on the 5th slot which was said earlier.

If horizon is selling them for $60 you can bet you can find them for $50 elsewhere and for a glider this would be the ticket.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Smile

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Tell me about it.

I am still yet to use more than 4 of my channels! well a couple of birds I have set up with flaperons using the aucx channel making use of #5 but for the most part... 4 is it!

Well, think of it as built-in flexibility. You never know... one morning you might get up early and decide to put retracts on your Slow Stick.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Well, think of it as built-in flexibility. You never know... one morning you might get up early and decide to put retracts on your Slow Stick.
Oh I didn't mean to impy I did not need them... I surely will soon enough. Got a Mustang with retracts in the works and some other projects that will use more than 4.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:23 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Just to clarify, This is a 5 channel receiver with 6 slots (7 including bat slot) channels 1-5 and then a copy of the aileron channel on a 6th slot.

It is Not 4 channels with a copy of aileron on the 5th slot which was said earlier.

If horizon is selling them for $60 you can bet you can find them for $50 elsewhere and for a glider this would be the ticket.
CC,

Thanks, I stand corrected.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

I fly many airplanes that only require 4 channels, but all have dual aileron servos. Under no circumstances would I consider using a four channel receiver, you lose all the advantages that a modern computer radio offers with dual servo setups, got differential??
I agree with constant crash, the new AR500 looks real sweet for glider use. True antenna diversity without the hassles of remote receivers.
Pete
Old 09-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Tony Oliver

Default AR500

I've just bought two of these AR500 receivers.

I really got them for simple slopers and electric sailplanes (and, whisper it, 'boat') use.
I tried the first out yesterday on a boat with the antenna at water level, as there is a suggestion that over water/damp grass, etc there could be some signal skip and they would stop working. Answer is 'they don't stop working!'.
The throttle-off failsafe works too. Not a thing to do with aircraft, but I get the boat out a long way and switched the transmitter off. It came to a halt and floated around for about 30 minutes while I took photographs. As soon as my tx was switched on, it regained control instantly and that's it. They work as they are supposed to and I want nothing more. I even tried going into range check and got well over 100ft. Remember all this was over the dreaded water.

I've mentioned it before, but if you only use the conventional REM and Ail, then there's no need to put in an expensive 7 or 9 channel receiver.

My pet gripe at the moment :-
There are too many people using half-baked thoughts and rumours. It happened on 27mhz when super-regen came in, crystal control, sunspots, an 'R' in the month etc.were all supposed to cause problems. 35mhz here in the UK also was reputed to be a problem on certain frequencies and conditions. No proof or demonstrations showed any such thing in my experience. Am I lucky in that I don't have radio problems and have not had any since I started in the early 1960s? I don't think so. There are unexplained crashes - mine are due to pilot error mainly, and pushing the limits on occasions with flattening batteries.

2.4 seems to be repeating the 'here be dragons' syndrome. The only thing this time is that there don't seem to be any dragons around.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:29 PM
RI Parker

Well, number five is for; camera control, what else?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
How many larger models are really "4" channel?

This one is 80"

and this one 72"

and this one 60"

A lot of big models still only use 4 channels.

bill, that cub with flapperon mixing will fly even nicer since you can dial in some differential on the ailerons which cubs love.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Tony Oliver

RI - "Well, number five is for; camera control, what else?" - Of course it is. That's why I never got to do air-to-air/ground photography with my Hitec 5channel gear on 35mhz - the channels were REMT and ch 6 - I didn't have ch5 on those receivers!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 AM
John C

Point of clarification. As a previous post said, the scond aileron socket is basically in parallel with the first. Thus, you do not get aileron differential, etc. as a second aileron channel is not recognized, unlike a 6100, for instance.

Anyway, I've got a 500 in a in Mini Extra and it seems good .

John C
Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 AM
meesier42

so what do you think is better for a flat out foamie, the AR500 or the AR6100. I just got a AR500 for one of my planes, and it looks so much better built that I am really considering putting it on the 3d foamie, vice the WD4 that I bought it for. It already has 2 aileron ports and the longer diversity antenna gives me a warm fuzy, the drawback of course on a 14oz foamie is that the AR500 does wieght 2x as much.

also, can the gear channel be setup as the Aux channel on the AR6100, thus allowing differential ailerons?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by meesier42 View Post
so what do you think is better for a flat out foamie, the AR500 or the AR6100. I just got a AR500 for one of my planes, and it looks so much better built that I am really considering putting it on the 3d foamie, vice the WD4 that I bought it for. It already has 2 aileron ports and the longer diversity antenna gives me a warm fuzy, the drawback of course on a 14oz foamie is that the AR500 does wieght 2x as much.

also, can the gear channel be setup as the Aux channel on the AR6100, thus allowing differential ailerons?

on a 3d foamie, lighter is better and if you're using dual aileron servo's, you'll want flapperon mixing to be able to set up differential and i dont think that can be done on the ar500 since the second aileron channel is essentially "y'd" to the first. i'd go with the ar6100 myself.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I agree with Yaniel, lighter is better on a foamy. Plus the AR6100E has end plugs which makes the installation look neater in some cases. You don't need the longer antenna that the AR500 has on a small flat out foamie.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

As long as you're not using channel 5 for another function you should be able to use ch 5 as the second aileron channel if you are using a computer radio with reasonable mix capabilities
Pete
Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

DX5e has a mix switch for ail/elev, it's in the hand book as well as the AR500 set up.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Buck Rogers

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
on a 3d foamie, lighter is better and if you're using dual aileron servo's, you'll want flapperon mixing to be able to set up differential and i dont think that can be done on the ar500 since the second aileron channel is essentially "y'd" to the first. i'd go with the ar6100 myself.
Yeah, this new receiver is completely pointless. In the UK the I can buy an AR6100e for the same price as the AR500 - so what's the point? I'll be going for the 6100e
Old 04-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
Yeah, this new receiver is completely pointless. In the UK the I can buy an AR6100e for the same price as the AR500 - so what's the point? I'll be going for the 6100e
the 500 is full range while the 6100 is made for park flyers. it has a market, just not in the small foamie genre.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

the hand book I got for the DX5e tell's me I can use a elevon/delta configuration with the AR500. Left elevon in the aileron port and the right elevon in the elevator port.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Andy2No

Huffy01,

Yes, the DX5e has elevon mixing but it has a big limitation. The reversing switches reverse the mixer inputs, not the outputs, so if both servos go in different directions when you move the elevator control, there's no way to fix it on the transmitter - whichever way you set the two reversing switches for that stick, the servos still go in opposite directions.

I want to use a DX5e with Parkzone Vapor bricks, but that's what happens, so I can't use elevon mixing unless I have control horns on opposite sides (one above the tail and one below), which makes it very hard to get equal throws, and set differential mechanically.

I've been looking for a mod for the DX5e to correct it, without any luck so far.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
WingingIt74

Originally Posted by Tony Oliver View Post
I really got them for simple slopers and electric sailplanes (and, whisper it, 'boat') use.
Why wisper, except this is a aircraft site. From what I see, there is no difference in the frequency used for aircraft and land based Spektrum radios. Am I correct?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I only have the DX5e and AR500 because it came with the RTF Parkzone Radian.
I was thinking of upgrading to DX6 but when I went to the hobby store as soon as I said "DX6" The owner thought it was a waste of time and said he could sell me just the transmitter for the same price as the DX6 with the receiver.
He take's out the servo's which are worth $200 plus when sold on there own.
It's all I need for the moment. Just bind it with the AR500 and I'm off too a good start.
"Andy2No" I was just going through the DX5e manual. mine has a note at the bottom of the page that tell's to swap the servo's wire's around if reversing switches do not achieve the right direction. hope it help's
Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Andy2No

Huffy01,

Yes, I read that too It certainly doesn't help with a Vapor brick because the servos are soldered to the board. I don't see how it would help with a normal receiver and servos in a plane either. You often have to swap servo cables over to set up elevons, but if they're moving in opposition to each other when you move the elevator control, that doesn't help anyway.

They just didn't think the elevon mixing through, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: New Spektrum Receiver, the AR500

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15246 seconds with 11 queries