Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Trashed my Easy Fly on maiden flight

Old 09-02-2008, 05:12 AM
Deadstick 101

Default Trashed my Easy Fly on maiden flight

Well I thought I could do it but.............I could'nt. The day was perfect very little wind. I probably did not spend enough time trimming the plane. I think it had too much elevator on. Anyway I threw it and it was going nice and straight so I hit the gas and it started to climb without me even touching the elevator. Then it pitched to the left and came down but I managed to put up un the elevator and she went back up but by this time it had lost a lot of airspeed and nose dived into the ground. It was a big mess. The main problem is I snapped the circular wooden engine mount and broke the nose ito a few bits. I also bent those steel stays that the wings attach too, but I straightend them.
The guy at the model shop rang around and found out that he can't get another engine mount even it I was to buy a new plane body.
So I go a bit of Acrylic/perspex and I will dig the othe half out of the plane and use the old one as a template. Should be easy. I have a bottle of that great planes aliphatic resin glue thats meant for this type of foam. So I plan on cutting out another mount and screwing the motor to it and then try to glue it back onto the plane and then piece all the broken bits back together. So if I rough up the perspex with sandpaper will it stick to the foam ok?
Then I will take it to my local flying club and get some proper instruction.

Steve
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Jaiwill

hey steve,
weve already talked about this one!!! the engine mount and the ally wing tube are the weakest links in this fantastic glider. They were the first things i changed on mine.. I like your perspex idea but i went with just doubling up on the ply, havent had any trouble since... but id also like to think ive got a bit better since then too ...lol..

The wing tube i took out all together with its flimsy plastic bracket and got another stronger tube made up.. my wings are held in by velcro..to the fuselage and to each other...

I saw somewhere to get rid of the plastic clip holding the canopy on and replace it with velcro, ive done this also and i dont have to retreive canopy on most landings anymore.. Thought you might want to try this..

Regards Darren
Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 AM
7rider

weve already talked about this one!!! the engine mount and the ally wing tube are the weakest links in this fantastic glider.
This was the first plane I bought, and I never had a satisfactory flight with it because on the maiden, I broke the alloy wing tube. I bought a new fuselage, and that flight got more airtime, but then another crash, and I broke the firewall! I have a lot more experience now with other planes, so I'm ready to give this plane another try. Could you give more details on how you beefed up the firewall and what you used as a replacement tube?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
darylm44

I tried a couple of planes before I settled on a Wing Dragon 4. It has a rubbery plastic fuse and boom, is a pusher, and has an easily fixed foam wing. It takes a good hit and returns to fly again. I nosed it in from 150 ft once and only had to epoxy the wing back together. It is also easy to fly and can be upgraded with an outrunner as you progress. Less than $150.

I taught myself to fly with this plane and can't recommend it enough to those who are teaching themselves.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Jaiwill

Hey 7Rider,
Yep no worries.. I guess you still have remnants of old ply engine mount. Get yourself some more ply and trace around old one. This should give you fairly accurate replica, trace another out. Cut these out and glue them together to give you "double thickness".. I use vise glue i guess there are better out there as this glue takes overnight to dry. (this doesnt bother me as gives you time to think about mistake you made breaking it and maybe avoiding it again) LOL.... Once dry redrill all holes and notch out the two slots on each side.. With a bit of filing and sanding you can clean it up a bit and round the edges for easier fitting.. You will need longer screws with new firewall so organise them. It seems fairly agressive when you think about it but getting old firewall out requires some surgery, I just cut fuselage in half from front to just enough back to get the thing out..screw motor back on new firewall smear with glue of choice and replace keeping slots even on each side. These slots are for air to flow inside fuselage to cool lipo.... and one side for motor cables to ESC...

As for the ally tube i went to my local aluminium workshop and got the closest thing i could to it... Then got a machine shop to drill it out to suit wing struts and then machined the tube down till it fitted into wing.. Heres some snaps..... If you look close you will also see velcro canopy idea..
Theres velcro in fuselage as well dunno if you can see with these photos..
Hope this helps if you need anything else give me a yell....

Cheers, Darren
Click image for larger version

Name:	11092008158.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	77787

Name:	11092008159.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	77788

Name:	11092008160.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	77789

Name:	11092008161.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	77790

Name:	11092008162.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	77791

Last edited by Jaiwill; 09-11-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
up_ya_go
up is good

Default Easy Fly 330

Same experience as Deadstick 101 .... maiden... stalled out on base and nose dived after about 30 mins flying ... had to buy a new fuselage, made a new engine mount out of stronger ply, replaced the bent wing aluminium tube with brass tube of same size. Added some extra carbon rod in the wing, Cockpit is held in place with velcro. That was about late last year.
Since then several good flights, but due to flying in stupid conditions ( like 25 to 30 kt gusty winds ) have have met the ground a few times, to hard, in that unapproved manor like ...ouch! So have just fitted it's third motor, second prop, rebuilt one good servo out of two stripped ones and now need to buy one new servo to get it going again.
Amazing how it bounces back for more.
Before I bought mine , I came across a review on the web the author of which said he had scarrey flights till adding an ounce of lead up front.( using supplied 1800 Mah battery) I tried that but found it flew ok with half that ... what has been your experience ? Think mine has been beaten up so much now that it does not trim out to well anymore anyway. Always found large pitch changes with power on and off.
I discovered a JR crystal fits the RX , so I use my own JR TX with it.
Photos of day of maidens for the three of them ... the other two are still origonal, no prangs for them !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5478 (Small).JPG
Views:	200
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	77795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5487 (Small).JPG
Views:	243
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	77796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5494 (Small).JPG
Views:	262
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	77797  
Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Jaiwill

Ouch!!, Sorry to see that.. looks like it was a beautiful day for flying too.. I regularly go out in 15, 20km winds but no more.. The easyfly loves these conditions the climb under power into a good breeze seems second nature to it.. and it is very stable, I cant say enough for this model and recommend it highly. My father who is a 40+yr veteran of flying is buying one after my ranting and raving about it..

I personally havent touched the CG using the old 1/3 back from leading edge theory didnt need to.. This thing flew straight out of the box and with minimal trimming.

Check thishttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38309
That was a great day..

Down the track a bit i will get myself the Spektrum Dx6i and gear to change everything over. Just bought myself an ARF Bi-plane so need some decent gear, otherwise be over-run with transmitters... found the ST Model gear to be above average..
Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 PM
up_ya_go
up is good

Thanks Jaiwill for the link . Sure sounds like you have been having heaps of fun over there.
Down the track from those pics, I added colour to the fusalage and under winds with ("White Knight" from Bunnings) yellow and orange Fluoro colour spray, which worked well.
I will take the lead out for the next flight and see what happens .
cheers.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:10 AM
up_ya_go
up is good

Just thought to add for anyone getting one of these ... This is how I used the box for storage and transport if anyone might be interested .
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6059 (Small).JPG
Views:	258
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	77946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6060 (Small).JPG
Views:	252
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	77947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6061 (Small).JPG
Views:	229
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	77948  
Old 09-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Jaiwill

Thanks for paint tip, I have been wanting to add my own colour scheme. Need stripes or something on underside with a different pattern on top very hard to see when that high. The underside of mine is all white, the supplied stickers didn't last long. Will go to bunnings today and have a look...
Cheers.....Darren

With the CG i guess you either need the weight or you dont i havent seen any threads on any major probs with this. If you could i wouldnt mind the links to those youv'e read im very interested in these...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 AM
up_ya_go
up is good

i havent seen any threads on any major probs with this. If you could i wouldnt mind the links to those youv'e read im very interested in these...[/quote]

Trying to re-find those links Darren ... will let you know if I can locate them . Maybe anyone out there have any links
cheers
Ray
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Jaiwill

Little break in weather goin for fly BRB...

New color scheme for EasyFly for those thermal days...

Name:	15092008165.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	78169

Name:	15092008166.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	78170

Last edited by Jaiwill; 09-15-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Deadstick 101

Great paint job Jaiwill. Well mine is all rebuilt again. Lots of big wind over here in NSW at the moment so I have not been game to get it out. I will have to take a photo of it after I snapped the plane in half last trip out. I controlled the elevator much better this time and up she went. I did a couple of airilon turns but went I came back with the wind she lost altitude and crash in a ditch. She snapped right through just behind the battery cover. So out with the glue and duck tape....again. But shes all good for another crack. I just want some air time to practice. Next time I will be taking her up way high. But everything happends so fast. This thing really moves.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Jaiwill

Snapped in half, holy **** you dont do things by halves!!!! LOL...
Next time you go out give yourself as much room as possible, throw it and go with a decent climb not too much or it will tip stall on you. This is similar to a normal stall but with one wing dropping... keep going straight get as much height as you can before turning. Dont keep the plane close to you this is a false sense of security thing...air good, ground not good!!!!!!!!
Get some height and stay there its up to you if you keep power on all flight but try to get height and glide, you should be able to glide for quite a while before needing to power up again. I go with twice the height of the tallest tree around before powering up again... depending on if im showing off or not.. if it seems to be going too fast on glide you prob need up trim on elevator. Ill get some close ups of mine how its trimmed maybe mite help you....

Cheers for now..Darren
Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Deadstick 101

Thanks mate!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 AM
up_ya_go
up is good

Yep, nice paint job Darren ... well done !!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Jaiwill

Updated paint job....

Name:	17092008170.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	78816

Name:	17092008172.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	78817
Worked out that i didnt like the yellow, the white and orange looks great i think. Some of the yellow has been removed with the masking tape, when i get time the rest will go.. might leave the yellow on underside but its going from the top...
With the trimming on my EasyFly its simple i go with everything straight but a little up elevator.. very slight up...this seems to work with mine.
Got a good tax return this year so DX6i gear on the way...cant wait to convert it all over..
Old 12-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Berkie

Originally Posted by Deadstick 101 View Post
Great paint job Jaiwill. Well mine is all rebuilt again. Lots of big wind over here in NSW at the moment so I have not been game to get it out. I will have to take a photo of it after I snapped the plane in half last trip out. I controlled the elevator much better this time and up she went. I did a couple of airilon turns but went I came back with the wind she lost altitude and crash in a ditch. She snapped right through just behind the battery cover. So out with the glue and duck tape....again. But shes all good for another crack. I just want some air time to practice. Next time I will be taking her up way high. But everything happends so fast. This thing really moves.
Are you holding on aileron DURING your turn instead of just using it to initiate the turn then let go? If you are not used to ailerons this is a common mistake. Ask me how I know!

Holding in aileron makes for a steep turn where the wings tend to loose lift so the nose goes down. If she is diving a bit in the turns & requiring more than necessary up elevator, then you are probably holding in aileron too long. Always pay close attention to how she is doing when high up.
Because it's high up we may tend not to get too concerned about odd behaviour. But we should, because when you get close to the ground, it's usually too late.

If it's behaviour looks a bit strange at altitude, bring her straight down and:
1. do a thorough mechanical check
2. ask some one to check your flight skills while you fly

Kev
Like Qantas - never crashed - I wish!