Lipo fade? and low voltage? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Lipo fade? and low voltage?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 AM
haasjj
Another New Member

Default Lipo fade? and low voltage?

Can lipo battery's lose their oomph over time if they are not used? I have 2 lipo battery's that were not used for over a year because of a crashed plane and now the battery's will only last a minute or two before they start to die on me. This caused a very short flight the other day and a bad landing. I tested the battery's earlier this summer but I put the in "series" or "parrell" one of the two, the battery's still put out 11.1v but had 8800mah combined. Every thing seemed fine when I tested them but now I am having problems.

What is the lowest voltage a battery should reach under load? I was testing the battery after I got my new plane back together and using a Watts Up meter under load the voltage got down to 8.3v for a 11.1v battery. I know that you should not run the battery below 9v or 3v per cell but the battery had power left just the voltage got to low.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

They'll fade for a number of reasons. Narrowing down whether it was from misuse, crash damage, abuse, lack of use, or just plain old defectiveness, is tough.

I've got a pack that charges up fine, but craps out seconds after takeoff. The pack sat for a long time, over a year, too. Unfortunately, the only other time I tried to use the pack, the plane crapped out shortly after takeoff. Mysterious. Now I'm not sure if the pack was ever any good in the first place.

How old were the batteries before you stowed them for a year?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM
haasjj
Another New Member

The battery's were almost new when I stored them, but I am not sure how old they are total. It was more than likely more than a year that they were stored, I am just not sure anymore.

Its not a big thing because I did buy 2 new 4 cell lipo for this plane. I did have a use for the old battery's and considering I spent well over a hundred for each of them they became a very expensive paper weight since they got such little use.