2.20m Zagi wing info wanted! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

2.20m Zagi wing info wanted!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
sadkingbilly
Happy When Flying

Default 2.20m Zagi wing info wanted!

Hello,

I bought an original zagi wing with a span of 2.20m (2.19 actually). It's not new, the fellow I bought it off had it in his attic for five years, all he did with it was glue the halves together... Some info:

Data:

wingchord inside wing: 40.5 cm
wingchord outside wing: 15 cm
span: 219 cm
empty weight: 282.3 gram

What I'd like to know is: where do I put the CoG? I'd like to keep it a clean glider, no drive system, only highstarthook and towservo.. Then something like 4xAAA NiMh for the power.. Or a little bigger if needed. I'd like to give it elevons and if possible and useful crow flaps. so that will make 2 big servo's (14 gram?) or four smaller ones (9gram?)..

I need the wing to be able to seperate (I know there's a word for it.. anyone? My english just failed me big time..) so I can take the wing with me by car or bike. I guess it needs some system to strengthen it and also connect the two halves. Anyone ever did this before and has some pictures of it?

My plan is to make a zagi as light as possible, use it on the highstart or tow it up with my EZ*, then thermal it... All help welcome!

Alwin
Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Arkitexas
Lone Star Flyer

I've only been involved in RC for three years and wasn't around when Zagi was starting out. That said, I have never heard mention of a 2.2 meter "original" Zagi. The largest I have seen is 60" or 1.53 meters. The CG for the current 1.23 meter and 1.53 meter Zagis is back 8" (203 mm) from the nose. You can download build manuals for various Zagis at
http://www.zagi.com under RESOURCES click INSTRUCTIONS.
I assume that you could calculate a proportional ratio to determine the CG for a larger wing. That at least would get you in the ballpark.

Also, there is a "center of gravity calculator" at
http://www.inlandsloperebels.com/Calc/cgcalc.html

Good Luck,
Rick
Old 10-07-2008, 01:21 AM
tushev
HATE HOVERING

I build one 2m wing spun and the CG is 11 inch from the nouse, so yours shoud may be 12..
Old 10-07-2008, 05:18 PM
sadkingbilly
Happy When Flying

Thanks for the info guys
Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
r_kopka
Electric Only

http://kopka.at/modell_f_wing.htm#Monster
Here is a similar model. I have only made a few flights with it and there are still some problems and changes needed.
I started with 210mm which I read somewhere. That was not good. I'm now at 242mm and I think it will move even farther backwards.
I would use bigger servos. The elevons are large. I also want(ed) to use crow flaps but it will land so slow (even with the weight of the motor and battery) without it that I don't think I need it under normal circumstances.

RK
Old 10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
sadkingbilly
Happy When Flying

Originally Posted by r_kopka View Post
http://kopka.at/modell_f_wing.htm#Monster
Here is a similar model. I have only made a few flights with it and there are still some problems and changes needed.
I started with 210mm which I read somewhere. That was not good. I'm now at 242mm and I think it will move even farther backwards.
I would use bigger servos. The elevons are large. I also want(ed) to use crow flaps but it will land so slow (even with the weight of the motor and battery) without it that I don't think I need it under normal circumstances.

RK
Wow, AUW is 1800 gram! That's almost 3 times what I have in mind and it still flies well? Of course, I'm not going to mount a motor (in the first instance).. Or, perhaps if I can keep the weight low I'll mount a small BL motor (120-150watt) with a 1000mAh lipo. Seems the wing doesn't care about being a bit heavy. But will she still thermal - that is demanded
Old 10-13-2008, 07:41 AM
tushev
HATE HOVERING

check this out:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDSsb5eGkU[/media]