Turnigy Accucell 6 1st Impression - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Turnigy Accucell 6 1st Impression

Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
  #1  
mikidymac
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 109
Default Turnigy Accucell 6 1st Impression

I purchased a Turnigy Accucell 6 for a friend and tried it out last night. Out of the box it is a very nice and compact charger and appears to be of good quality with an aluminum case. It is supplied with more charge leads than I know what to do with nad a built in fan. The only thing that it does not come with is instructions but they can be downloaded from hobbycity.com. The instructions are average and appear to be translated into english but they get the job done and the charger is simple to navigate through.

I have the Triton 2 and the Equinox blancer so I decided to compare the two. The menu navagation is easy on both but the display on the Turnigy is much brighter than the Triton. One thing that is strange on the Turnigy is that you have to plug in the balance lead as well as the discharge cable whereas on my Triton I only need the balance cable but not a big deal. I like that the Turnigy has the balancer built in so that is one less thing I have to bring to the field.
I like that on the Turnigy you can set the charge rate and there is even a program for a fast lipo charge if you need to get in the air fast but it appears that you loose the balance function. The balance function is on a separate charge program but you can also adjust the charge rate. The Triton charge rate is automatic and can not be user set. I had some new 3S 2200mha Lipo's so I set them up on each charger and it was a race to the finish. I set the Turnigy at 1.5A and the Triton was automatic. They finished within about 5 minutes of eachother and both with about 650mha charged. The one nice thing about the Turnigy is that you can scroll to another screen and see the voltage of each cell, all were at 4.20V, not an option on the Triton.
For a price difference of about $110.00 I would say the Turnigy is a bargin but only time will tell if it lasts and how gentle it is on batteries. For now I will keep my trusty Triton 2 and Equinox but as a second charger for long days at the field the Turnigy looks good. The Turnigy Accucell 6 is available at hobbycity.com for $39.99.
mikidymac is offline  
Old 11-22-2008, 08:23 AM
  #2  
HEMICUDA
Member
 
HEMICUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 140
Default

Thanks for the info and rundown. Keep us posted on the long term with this charger. I plan to get one in the spring.

Hemicuda
HEMICUDA is offline  
Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 AM
  #3  
jecchile
Member
 
jecchile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 190
Default

Just got one and it was $37.99... I think they are on sale because they have come up with a new one that is $79.99... better get an Accucell-6 while they last - I don't know if they are going to be discontinued or not but if you need one, at the price they have them now it is a steal.

Looks like a nice charger/balancer... I downloaded the instructions but have not had the chance to read them yet. I really like the screen - very bright and easy to read.

This one will be my "Field Charger/Balancer"... at home I use my "Accu-Cycle Elite" to charge and a "Blinky" for balancing...

UPDATE:
I flew today and got to try my new charger - it worked perfectly... it is very easy to use with the programs that come in the machine... just make sure that you select the correct one... there are 2 for charging Lipos, one to just charge and the other to charge and balance. I would recommend this charger to anyone who needs one. I am sure that the other functions will work fine also.

Last edited by jecchile; 12-04-2008 at 12:12 AM.
jecchile is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 12:54 AM
  #4  
murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default

Hello folks
I would like to order Turingay accucell -6 charger but I am having difficulty trying to place the order, I live in the United Kingdom and wonder if it would be okay to use it over here. I am new to electric flying and I am not sure if this charger would be okay for the LiPo batteries I have bought, by which I mean is it "idiot proof" ie me, as I know nothing about these things!!, any advice on placing an order etc would be appreciated.
T hanks, John.
murphy is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 AM
  #5  
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!
 
Wrench66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chino, Calif. aka Dairyland
Posts: 1,380
Default Reccomended, I just ordered a second unit

Hi John,
No worries, that charger is pretty much "idiot proof" Ask me how I know that!!! I've tried to charge a 2s lipo at the 3s rate....nope wouldn't let it start.....the charger has the function of not only charging your batteries to their peak voltage BUT will also top off their Mah too. Very cool.
I was using a cheapie Esky charger, decent for the price, but it is apparent now that it was over charging my batteries voltage wise, but not quite getting them to max MAh......using the Turnigy 6 directly after the Esky charger showed the cell to cell voltage a bit high (4.24 avg) but would actually show another 50-60 Mah being put in there!!

My only concern with this charger is that the internal fan is getting a bit noisy at start up. A quick fix actually since we're talking a $2 part.

Now of course you COULD actually set the charger to try an push 4 or 5c charge rate through you battery and get things quite hot.......but the charger also has a temp probe port in it's side so maybe not? You gotta pay attention sometime eh?!

--Ray
Wrench66 is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 AM
  #6  
rcers
Super Contributor
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,314
Default

I like mine a great little 50w charger. Does well...

Mike
rcers is offline  
Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 AM
  #7  
murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Hi John,
No worries, that charger is pretty much "idiot proof" Ask me how I know that!!! I've tried to charge a 2s lipo at the 3s rate....nope wouldn't let it start.....the charger has the function of not only charging your batteries to their peak voltage BUT will also top off their Mah too. Very cool.
I was using a cheapie Esky charger, decent for the price, but it is apparent now that it was over charging my batteries voltage wise, but not quite getting them to max MAh......using the Turnigy 6 directly after the Esky charger showed the cell to cell voltage a bit high (4.24 avg) but would actually show another 50-60 Mah being put in there!!

My only concern with this charger is that the internal fan is getting a bit noisy at start up. A quick fix actually since we're talking a $2 part.

Now of course you COULD actually set the charger to try an push 4 or 5c charge rate through you battery and get things quite hot.......but the charger also has a temp probe port in it's side so maybe not? You gotta pay attention sometime eh?!

--Ray
Hello Ray Thanks for your reply and advice I am just going to order the Turingy accuel -6 charger now, it looks like good value for money having read your own and other peoples comments.
Thanks again Ray, all the best, John. 9MURPHY)
murphy is offline  
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 AM
  #8  
murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default Re my question regarding Turnigy charger

Hello folks
Thanks for all your advice re the above charger, I am just going to order one now, hope it works okay here in the u.k.
All the best, murphy.
murphy is offline  
Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 PM
  #9  
mauriban
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Yes great charger I can assure everyone that its very easy to use I will soon do a review of it and I will post the link in this forum

Maurizio Banavage
mauriban is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM
  #10  
HugoW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 169
Default

I like the charger for my small (3S 2500mAh) packs. But since it's only 50W, it takes ages to fill my 6S 4Ah packs. It doesn't go over (50/22.2=) 2 and a bit amps. I would like it to do 4A. I'm looking into modding it's inners and make it a 100W charger. Changing some inners and adding extra cooling. Trouble will be altering the chip that controls the whole operation. Or I should look into another (diy?) charger.

BTW, same goes for discharging. It says 1A, but it will only do 5W, so with 22.2V that leaves a serious waiting period. Fortunately, I have a machine with wings and a prop in which I can quickly discharge the packs...

Hugo
HugoW is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 03:06 PM
  #11  
rcers
Super Contributor
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,314
Default

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
I like the charger for my small (3S 2500mAh) packs. But since it's only 50W, it takes ages to fill my 6S 4Ah packs. It doesn't go over (50/22.2=) 2 and a bit amps. I would like it to do 4A. I'm looking into modding it's inners and make it a 100W charger. Changing some inners and adding extra cooling. Trouble will be altering the chip that controls the whole operation. Or I should look into another (diy?) charger.

Hugo
They make a great 150w version for larger packs. Save a great deal of time and effort....

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7523

Mike
rcers is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 08:44 PM
  #12  
air4prs
Member
 
air4prs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 32
Talking Turnigy charge 2 lipo's

For Turnigy- Accucell 6 chargers there s a cable available at HobbyCity(Twin Lead Charge lead)for $3.99 that will allow you to charge 2 like type lipo's at the same time. They both have to be the same capacity(mah and C). Either 2 2cell or 2 3cell lipo's but do not try to charge one 2 cell and one 3 cell at the same time. This is a great charger with max 2 amp output.
air4prs is offline  
Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
  #13  
murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default

Hello folks
Thanks for all your help and advice re the turnigy accucell 6 cell charger, got mines delivered yesterday and downloaded the instructions being electrically "illiterate" I can see much scratching of the head and gnashing of teeth!! I live in the U.K. the power supply here is 240v, I would like to charge my packs using an AC/DC ADAPTER I have which converts 240v to 12v/6amps, the plug on myADAPTER is slightly to large a diameter to fit into the input power cable socket(DC11-18V) on the Turnigy to let me do this, any suggestions on suitable conversion leads and a supplier of these leads would be very helpful, if possible in the U.k. or if not anywhere else that any member knows of.
Thanks, John.
murphy is offline  
Old 12-31-2008, 04:49 AM
  #14  
TucsonClint
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 8
info An Additional Tidbit...

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
They make a great 150w version for larger packs. Save a great deal of time and effort....

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7523

Mike
Hey Folks,

Was scanning this thread and noticed the link - scanned some of the reviews there and found the following review info down a bit...

Originally Posted by HC Web Link Review
The charger works and does a good job at balancing the packs. I don't have a problem with the charging aspect however it is very frustrating that this is the only charger which list discharge rating as 0.1-5.0 amp with out a max watt for discharge. IT does have a max watt during discharge - 25w. What battery pack are you going to discharge at 5 amps? A 5volt pack!

Please update the product listing - 25w discharge only.
FWIW... Heresay only

I have the T6 model and with the exception of the fan it is a great little charger (supplements a FMA 10). I oiled the fan and now it is quiet as well.


However, to compliment the review, I found the T6 will only discharge 5W (as listed) based on the voltage at the time. I.e. if pack is at 10v - it will discharge at 0.5A - similarly if the pack is at 5v = 1.0A. Again, FWIW but direct observation.

It suites me as I'll just hook it up to a plane and static run it at 5C down to where I need the pack to be (using an in-line Watt meter and keeping everything nice and cool) But it is nice for cycling NiMH or NiCD packs. (I've gotten some additional life out of my cordless phone batts by deep cycling)

Happy New Year!


Clint
TucsonClint is offline  
Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
  #15  
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!
 
gazzacov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 101
Default

I ordered mine new years eve from hobby king, as at 37 dollars plus postage, it still worked out around 38 here, (most uk retailers selling it for 50) arrived in 5 days from hong kong, well packed and unmarked. for the features all previously mentioned above, well worth the money, highly reccomended.
gazzacov is offline  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
  #16  
murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default

Hello there
Thanks for your reply to my query re the Turnigy charger, I have also recieved mine from China no problem good packaging and quick delivery, do you know where I can get a jack plug to fit the charger as I have an AC/DC ADAPTER 240 volts to 12 volts however the jack plug on my ADAPTER, does not fit the input power cable inlet socket on the charger any help would be appreciated as I wish to charge my batteries at home using the adapter.
Thanks, murphy.
murphy is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 AM
  #17  
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!
 
Wrench66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chino, Calif. aka Dairyland
Posts: 1,380
Default Some solutions, Murph.

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Hello there
Thanks for your reply to my query re the Turnigy charger, I have also recieved mine from China no problem good packaging and quick delivery, do you know where I can get a jack plug to fit the charger as I have an AC/DC ADAPTER 240 volts to 12 volts however the jack plug on my ADAPTER, does not fit the input power cable inlet socket on the charger any help would be appreciated as I wish to charge my batteries at home using the adapter.
Thanks, murphy.
Hi Murphy
Ok, couple of solutions come to mind......the easiest would be to visit a local electronics supply and see what they can do for you with that plug, next would be to pull the side plate off the charger where the plug is and check that maybe your jack has the correct inner diameter and maybe a bit larger outside...preventing the plug from engaging the male connector in the charger?
Try the elect supply first as I think they'll have an answer for you.
IF all else fails, I can send you a spare jack to alligator clips adapter that will work for you either with a PC power supply or a 12v auto battery. Although you could cut the jack plug off and resolder to your present adapter too? If you want I bought a couple of cheap chargers from DealExtreme.com and they use the plug you need. Here's a link to this, not a bad charger really for $9 (and free ship) I use it once in a while to charge my 2s lipo powered camcorder
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8798

lemme know, that Turnigy IS a great charger ! hehe

--Ray

Last edited by Wrench66; 01-06-2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Mi En-grish nott so guud
Wrench66 is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
  #18  
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!
 
gazzacov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 101
Default

Hi Murphy
Not sure of your location, but in the UK, Maplin have plenty of ac/dc adapters, male and female. Ive used them for other chargers and leads for tx etc and no problem finding the right one. There are however some differences in size of the inner sleeve, even between items with the same outer size, so best bet is either take the charger with you when you go, or take the supplied power lead/croc clip lead so you can get an accurate match. Remember also polarity when you make or adapt a new one..on the accucell 6, the centre is +, outer is -.
Try this link for more info.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=11913
gazzacov is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
  #19  
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!
 
gazzacov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by gazzacov View Post
Hi Murphy
Not sure of your location, but in the UK, Maplin have plenty of ac/dc adapters, male and female. Ive used them for other chargers and leads for tx etc and no problem finding the right one. There are however some differences in size of the inner sleeve, even between items with the same outer size, so best bet is either take the charger with you when you go, or take the supplied power lead/croc clip lead so you can get an accurate match. Remember also polarity when you make or adapt a new one..on the accucell 6, the centre is +, outer is -.
Try this link for more info.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=11913
I forgot to ask, you say you have a 240 to 12v adapter, but is it a plug in the wall type? if so, then make sure also that its rated high enough for the likley current draw you will get when charging, especially if you charge ni-cads, as then can be charged at a higher rate than lipo. Mine is 5amp, and does what i need, but best bet if you have to replace it is get a supply thats rated well avove what youre likley to use if you can afford it, it'll run cooler an no risk of melting anything!
gazzacov is offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 PM
  #20  
maverickma
Member
 
maverickma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fogelsville, PA
Posts: 95
Default

I'm confused. Can this charger be plugged into the wall??
maverickma is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 04:13 AM
  #21  
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!
 
Wrench66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chino, Calif. aka Dairyland
Posts: 1,380
Default

Originally Posted by maverickma View Post
I'm confused. Can this charger be plugged into the wall??
No, it's a 12v charger. Needs either an AC adapter OR a 12v battery for power. My particular set up uses an old PC power supply to give 12v, and at that rate my power supply plugs into the wall.
I also have a flying bud who has made use of a laptop power supply, 14v and 4-5amp I believe....works great

--Ray
Wrench66 is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 AM
  #22  
maverickma
Member
 
maverickma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fogelsville, PA
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
No, it's a 12v charger. Needs either an AC adapter OR a 12v battery for power. My particular set up uses an old PC power supply to give 12v, and at that rate my power supply plugs into the wall.
I also have a flying bud who has made use of a laptop power supply, 14v and 4-5amp I believe....works great

--Ray
Thanks Ray, I have a few charger adapters that came with the cheapie Lipo/balance charger for my Art-Tech P-51 and for my Edo F15. One is 12V 2000ma and the other is 12V 1.25A. Any idea if either of these will work?
maverickma is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 AM
  #23  
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!
 
Wrench66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chino, Calif. aka Dairyland
Posts: 1,380
Default

Originally Posted by maverickma View Post
Thanks Ray, I have a few charger adapters that came with the cheapie Lipo/balance charger for my Art-Tech P-51 and for my Edo F15. One is 12V 2000ma and the other is 12V 1.25A. Any idea if either of these will work?
Hi Mav
Well, in theory, they both SHOULD work IF, and only IF, you keep your charging down around an amp or below. They will both be workin up a sweat the nearer you get to their max output but at least you can try it out During charging, periodically check for the adapter getting hot and of course quit if so
Most of my batteries are 1700mah or below so I usually don't charge much over an amp anyway. My 500s only need half that too

Anyway, go ahead but be aware you will need to find another power supply soon....just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!!

---Ray
Wrench66 is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 AM
  #24  
maverickma
Member
 
maverickma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fogelsville, PA
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Hi Mav
Well, in theory, they both SHOULD work IF, and only IF, you keep your charging down around an amp or below. They will both be workin up a sweat the nearer you get to their max output but at least you can try it out During charging, periodically check for the adapter getting hot and of course quit if so
Most of my batteries are 1700mah or below so I usually don't charge much over an amp anyway. My 500s only need half that too

Anyway, go ahead but be aware you will need to find another power supply soon....just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!!

---Ray
Understood. I never charge over an amp or so, but for safety's sake, I'll take a trip to Radio Shack to see if they have anything that would work that has an output of 5 or 6 amps. Thanks for your help.
maverickma is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 AM
  #25  
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!
 
Wrench66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chino, Calif. aka Dairyland
Posts: 1,380
Default

Originally Posted by maverickma View Post
Understood. I never charge over an amp or so, but for safety's sake, I'll take a trip to Radio Shack to see if they have anything that would work that has an output of 5 or 6 amps. Thanks for your help.
Cool, just a note too.......if you have a computer show near you (we do every 6 weeks or so) you can pick up a laptop or regular 400w PC power supply for less than 15 bux.
lemme know if you can't get on with something near you as I am sure I can source something locally as a last resort.

Good luck!

--Ray
Wrench66 is offline  

Quick Reply: Turnigy Accucell 6 1st Impression


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10067 seconds with 12 queries