Brushless setup Recommendations for new Kit - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Brushless setup Recommendations for new Kit

Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 AM
cityflyer

Default Brushless setup Recommendations for new Kit

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to RC flying in general. After lurking for info in all the RC forums I could find for the last few months, this one stands out as the best and most informative.

I live in Atlanta and am into small park flyers as there are no large parks near by. I do most of my flying in a park that's 90x40 yards with tall trees on all sides. I've found that there are very few small park flyers out there. I learned on 3 channel Parkzone products (Citabria and Vapor) and also have a stock Cox Corsair, which is plenty small, but is challenging to fly in this space as you have to fly it fast to keep it from falling out of the sky.

Anyway, I bought a Graupner Stinson Voyager kit from Graves RC, mainly because it's one of the few small 4 ch scale planes with a light wing loading (31' wing span, 10oz flying weight). It's my first kit and it recommends a speed 300 motor with a 7 cell NMIH pack. I want to go brushless / Lipo instead to save more weight and have no idea what set-up would be best for this kit. Since don't fly heavy acrobatics and have very limited park space, so I'd rather make the lightest plane possible, not the most powerful, which seems to be a different direction than most of the builds in this forum.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 AM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

Welcome to WattFlyer. You will find a great bunch of people here. They are always more than willing to help.
-Andrew
Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Park-Flyer Voyager?

Hello Cityflyer, Welcome to Wattflyer!
I'm not familiar with that plane, but from the specs it appears that one of the many "300" size brushless replacement motors will work. This would be in the range of 65-90 watts output.
I went to the Graves R/C site and found a couple of choices. I'm sure they have many more, but these will give you some idea of the price range and general size;
http://www.gravesrc.com/EFLM1150_EFL...p/eflm1150.htm
And a good 15-18 amp ESC. I realize they recommend a 10A ESC, but my experience has been it's better to go a bit oversize with the speed controller. http://www.gravesrc.com/CSETB18_THUN..._p/csetb18.htm
That is the "High" end of the price range, here's the "Budget" end;
http://www.gravesrc.com/BP_A2208_17_...bpa2208-17.htm
And a speed controller;
http://www.gravesrc.com/P_30A_BRUSHL..._p/bp30esc.htm
Here again I've added about 50% to the recommended rating. You will get other opinions on this, but most agree it's far better to be "Over" size then under.
Regarding speed and torque for each motor, you can control this yourself, by using a 2s (2 cell) LiPoly with the recommended prop. You will see on the motor specs this will be a larger prop than that recommended for a 3s.
This will yield a slower flying speed with plenty of torque.
Last, you could take a trip to Graves with these suggested choices and see if they have other recommendations.
For batteries, I'd suggest sticking with major brands and use a 2S LiPoly of (about) 800-1200 Mah.
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 11-20-2008, 02:43 PM
cityflyer

Default Thanks!

Thanks Andrew and Ron for the warm welcome and wealth of information. Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I'll keep you posted on the build once I get it underway. Until then, I'll be doing mostly Vapor flying in the basement until spring...
Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Flying in your basement all winter sounds like a bear hibernating