RC Flight Makes the Headlines... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Humor Have some funny jokes or stories? All is fair game except political, religious or too explicit.

RC Flight Makes the Headlines...

Old 11-26-2008, 12:46 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Default RC Flight Makes the Headlines...

You can have my DX7 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/...lts-felony-ar/

Perhaps its time to add "Stylish Pepper Spray Holster" to the WattFlyer SWAG page...

Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Ever read the comments under a story about r/c planes? Its ridiculous what the "general public" types. I can barely stand reading that stuff anymore. Kinda frustrates me...
Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 AM
HoaRC

what was the plane doing flying above the guy's house? that's definitely outside of the AMA sanctioned field.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:46 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by 3Disaster View Post
Ever read the comments under a story about r/c planes? Its ridiculous what the "general public" types. I can barely stand reading that stuff anymore. Kinda frustrates me...
"Scratch up a few bucks and purchase an aviation controller and all of the crystals for the flying frequency's. Next time those dirty old men fly over your house you can take control of their plane and crash it! Game over -- they wont mess with you after a few planes end up in the drink! www.towerhobbies.com should have everything you need! Have fun!"
Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by HoaRC View Post
what was the plane doing flying above the guy's house? that's definitely outside of the AMA sanctioned field.
The part that gets me, is that the guy had to drive, to get to the field. How far from the field were they flying?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

idiots...

"swflsucks
How does that work. I went to that web site and saw the radio transmitters. Can you tell me how it works and what one should purchase to do so. That would be soooooooo coooooooool."
Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

6 months or less and that club will be shut down and looking for a new field...

dang shame really... I dare say there are probably are very few who stray out to far and probably not very often either, I could be very wrong but I doubt it.

The homeowners will win with the county commission eventually because guess who pays the taxes around there?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:00 AM
HoaRC

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
6 months or less and that club will be shut down and looking for a new field...

dang shame really... I dare say there are probably are very few who stray out to far and probably not very often either, I could be very wrong but I doubt it.

The homeowners will win with the county commission eventually because guess who pays the taxes around there?
it's not easy to set up a AMA flying field - just imagine how upset the AMA club members are who spent many hours and many hundreds if not thousands into it.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I agree the guy shouldn't have been flying over the guys house. But the crime didn't in any way warrant the punishment that that 68 yr old man insued! Had I been a witness, there would be NO WAY I could stand there and just watch some guy beat the crap out of an elderly man! I would have had a little something for that guy AND his dog. As for Fred's question...just because he drove doesn't mean the field was that far away friend. I've seen people hold up a line in a Wal-Mart parking lot isle just so they don't have to walk an extra 3 parking spots away.

Sorry for the rant, I hate to see bad things happen to good people.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:19 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

This is the stuff of nightmares, I hope I never see this guy in a dream!!!!!!!!!!bub, steve

Here's the bum!!
Collier County Sheriff's Office
Stephen M. Young
Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
I agree the guy shouldn't have been flying over the guys house. But the crime didn't in any way warrant the punishment that that 68 yr old man insued! Had I been a witness, there would be NO WAY I could stand there and just watch some guy beat the crap out of an elderly man! I would have had a little something for that guy AND his dog. As for Fred's question...just because he drove doesn't mean the field was that far away friend. I've seen people hold up a line in a Wal-Mart parking lot isle just so they don't have to walk an extra 3 parking spots away.

Sorry for the rant, I hate to see bad things happen to good people.
YEah, there is a comment about the "stand-your-ground" laws - I might have had to step in on that one for sure.

And as far as Wal-mart parking lot and people waiting for a space - I like to purposely walk back from aisle to aisle stoppping at random cars, only to make a show of saying "Heyyyyy, Waaaaait a sec. This is not my car! D'oh!" lol

I had a guy drop the F-bomb on me because I got him with it twice in a row lol priceless
Old 11-26-2008, 03:29 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I thought I was the only one that did that...
Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

LOL!! You guys kill me
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

A club near me recently lost its field because of this exact thing. Some of the members couldnt seem to keep their planes within the boundries. After repeated over flights and crashes into the neighboring businesses they lost the field.

If it was my house I think I would have gone for the pellet gun or maybe one of those rapid fire paint ball guns. The risk of course is that you would shoot it down and then YOU'RE the cause a crash into a neighbors house!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 PM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Our group used to fly small stuff on school yards, no problem getting permission, no problem with the neighbours.

The local club (don't show up unless you are flying a 40) kept losing their fields because of overflights. You guessed it, they decided that because we were flying in that schoolyard, so could they, complete with overflights. We lost a half-dozen flying sites to those clowns; consequently, to this day there is no place to fly small models in that city.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:18 PM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Yes I agree the man should not be flying over someones house. But to go to the field steal his transmitter then beat him up when he tries to retrieve his property man that guy has some serious mental problems. Put him in jail get a mental evaluation then throw away the key.

A better way to handle this would have been go to the field explaine that the planes are going over your house and ask them to please not do that. If that doesn't work go to the powers that be and see what can be done. Stupid is as stupid does. Everyone loses in this one.

We had a man do this to us 30 years ago. We didn't realize we were flying over a house and or brothering anyone. This man comes up to or field and starts yelling at all of us (3 people) that was all that flew there. At that time we were all mid or late 20s. If this man would have come up and explained to us what was happening we all would have just stopped flying on that side of the field. But when you act like a jerk and threaten people be prepared for what you are going to get.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:02 PM
HoaRC

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
Yes I agree the man should not be flying over someones house. But to go to the field steal his transmitter then beat him up when he tries to retrieve his property man that guy has some serious mental problems. Put him in jail get a mental evaluation then throw away the key.

A better way to handle this would have been go to the field explaine that the planes are going over your house and ask them to please not do that. If that doesn't work go to the powers that be and see what can be done. Stupid is as stupid does. Everyone loses in this one.

We had a man do this to us 30 years ago. We didn't realize we were flying over a house and or brothering anyone. This man comes up to or field and starts yelling at all of us (3 people) that was all that flew there. At that time we were all mid or late 20s. If this man would have come up and explained to us what was happening we all would have just stopped flying on that side of the field. But when you act like a jerk and threaten people be prepared for what you are going to get.
A better way to handle the outlaw flyer means you avoid a confrontation, but still teach him a lesson. So when the plane lands, stomp it into pieces, or kick it with your foot and run away.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 PM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HoaRC View Post
A better way to handle the outlaw flyer means you avoid a confrontation, but still teach him a lesson. So when the plane lands, stomp it into pieces, or kick it with your foot and run away.
Then he comes back and keys your car you go and throw a brick thru his window and he shoots your plane with a shotgun you blow his house up with some C4 then next thing you know you really get mad..............
Old 11-29-2008, 02:17 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Can't we all just get along
Old 11-29-2008, 02:24 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
Then he comes back and keys your car you go and throw a brick thru his window and he shoots your plane with a shotgun you blow his house up with some C4 then next thing you know you really get mad..............
sounds like a winner to me!!! bub, steve
Old 11-29-2008, 05:49 PM
darylm44

We live in an area with many private full size planes and numerous lakes and landing strips. We have a floatplane size lake and 2 landing strips within a 1/4 mile of our house. Planes frequently fly over our house. It's called air space and we don't own it. Sometimes on approach they are less than 100 ft above the house.

AMA rules aside, how is flying a model over someones house any different? As long as you don't crash or land on their property you are only using the air space which is not their's to control.

Sounds like the home owner was just a jerk!!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

[quote=darylm44;513440]We live in an area with many private full size planes and numerous lakes and landing strips. We have a floatplane size lake and 2 landing strips within a 1/4 mile of our house. Planes frequently fly over our house. It's called air space and we don't own it. Sometimes on approach they are less than 100 ft above the house.

AMA rules aside, how is flying a model over someones house any different? As long as you don't crash or land on their property you are only using the air space which is not their's to control.

Sounds like the home owner was just a jerk!![/quote]

I definitely agree. The only thing if this was a glow motor I can see where it could get on someone nerves if it was going over his house all the time. But to do what he did is inexcusable. No matter what. He should be brought up on charges. Made to write a letter of apology to the older gentleman. Them made to do community service. Like clean up the flying field.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

[quote/]
I definitely agree. The only thing if this was a glow motor I can see where it could get on someone nerves if it was going over his house all the time. But to do what he did is inexcusable. No matter what. He should be brought up on charges. Made to write a letter of apology to the older gentleman. Them made to do community service. Like clean up the flying field.[/quote]
He'd just beat up all the other pilots...

But seriously? Beating up an elderly man, that is low. Really, low...