World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Lebus1

Rowdyjoe are you using the EFlite 480? If so I am using that setup as well using the APC 11 X 5 E prop. I have tried 10.6 through 11 X 8 and the 11 X 5 seems to be the best match for me.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM
rowdyjoe

Lebus1,
No, I'm using a Turnigy 35-48-900kv purchased from Hobby City (aka Hobby King). The ESC is a Volcano 40amp with an external BEC by Castle Creations. Receiver is a 6100e with a low voltage protector and I'm also using a servo rate reducer for the gear.
My software says that the optimum prop for my bird is an 11X8E but, there's so little difference between it the 11X8.5E and the 11X7E that all will work fine. I'll have to put the watt meter on each prop and see the actual results to verify the software.

By the way ....the airplane balanced with the same weights and placement used on AC no. 2. 3/4oz of weight placed aft of the airscoop.

RJ
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 AM
rowdyjoe

First flight report for airplane no. 3 ....
Not good. It was extremely sensitive in pitch and could not trim it for hands-off. I suspected it was tail heavy. I landed successfully and moved the batteries forward a bit and re-launched. Same problem.
2nd landing as a bit rough and broke the left LG retract housing (brittle and flimsy). I realigned all control surfaces and moved the battery back to the original position and re-launched. Same problem but, worse.
3rd landing attempt was a disaster. I stalled it about 6 ft. off the ground and it spun into the concrete runway nose first. Motor mount is broken and the fuselage is cracked all the way back to the vertical stab. It's definitely repairable.

One good note ...it's very fast with the current configuration.

RJ
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
odieyodie

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska (summer) Casa Grande AZ. (winter)

Man thats to bad. I know I had to add alot of weight to the front of their corsair before it would even fly. Maybe being tail heavy is a common problem with their planes. Let me know what cg finally works.

Good Luck
Tommy T.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Lebus1

I realize that my Eflite 480 is a different motor but mine balanced out with no extra weight in the nose or tail. I just moved the battery/batteries as far into the nose as possible to get to the mfg recommended and mine flies great. That COG is a big deal.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 PM
odieyodie

You sure are right about the COG. On my corsair I used the motor that came with it so that should have been right. But I know that different batteries can make a BIG difference. I really have to watch that when switching batteries between flights. I wound up having to add two sticks of the clay stuff that comes with GWS planes. I hot glued it to the inside of the cowling as far forward as I could get it. It flys good now but seems heavy. I love how their planes look...

Fly Hard, Land Soft
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 PM
rowdyjoe

I have plenty of room to move the batteries around so, if it's an aft CG problem moving them forward should help a lot. I'll try that as soon as I get the parts I need.

I replaced the cracked landing gear housing with one from the wing of airplane no. 2. I also removed a lot of covering from the fuselage to repair cracks in both sides. The repairs went well and I'm ready to re-cover and reassemble once the new motor mount and canopy arrive.

Strange that I would have a CG issue with this airplane that I didn't have with the other two. Both of the other planes were a bit nose heavy but, this one appears to be tail heavy. Actually, it acted more like something was loose and shifting back and forth however, nothing loose was found.

RJ
Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 AM
chriscav

RowdyJoe, I have to say I admire your preseverance! Once you get that CG right you are due a good number of trouble-free flights!

I guess the factory could have built it tail-heavy, as you say, its strange that this one is that way when your other two were not.

Not that it helps you, but mine balances quite a bit nose-heavy with my 4 cell Turnigy pack in it. Seems to fly well that way (at least mine does).

Hang in there and good luck!

Chris
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 AM
rowdyjoe

Hey Chris,
Nice to meet you and thanks for that tip. I'll bet your bird really burns up the sky with that 4 cell plugged in.
I was thinking about moving the batteries forward quite a bit and see how she flys. The factory manual says the CG is approx. 4.13 inches aft of the leading edge when measured where it meets the fuselage. That spot is right on the main spar and it's logical that it should be there so, I balanced it at that point. Sure seems that it needs to be further forward though ...especially the way she flys.
I met a fella here on one of the forums who told me to "fly" the CG in and not rely on a "mechanical" balance. I think I'm beginning to see the logic in that advice.

Glad yours is flying well. They are a great looking bird and do fly well if the pilot and other equipment is up to the task.

Wishing you CAVU,
RJ
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 AM
chriscav

RJ,

It very definitely is a great flyer once you dial it in correctly. It is as fast as you want it to be. One of the guys in my club got it on a gun at mid-80's on a high-speed fly-by. Very scale-like in my opinion.

Weakest aspects of the set-up are

1) Lousy spinner
2) Easily punctured covering
3) Weaker than expected retracts
4) Tendency to nose-over on landing at a grass field (could also be a function of my nose-heavy tendency).

If the U.S. distributor cared to address these weaknesses with the factory in the Far East, AND developed a few different color schemes, they'd have a nice market niche.

Despite these issues, still one of my favorites to bring out to the field.

Chris
Old 01-09-2010, 06:00 AM
rowdyjoe

Chris,
I agree 100% and have found a way to correct those deficiencies ...

1) Dubro 3" plastic spinner from Tower Hobby ...$8
2) Recover with Monokote when necessary
3) Metal retracts available from Electric Jet Factory ...$25
or plastic retracts available from Tower Hobby ....$20
4) Land on pavement ...gear down of course

RJ
Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
odieyodie

lol. I gotta remember that one since I've never used retracts before.

Were your old retracts and other parts salvageable?

Tommy T.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
odieyodie

Hey CHRISCAV..

What was your COG and other setup?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
rowdyjoe

Odie,
There were a few salvageable parts off no. 2. I used one of the LG housings from it to repair the broken one on no. 3. Nothing else needed so far.
I'm going to order those metal retracts so I'll have them on hand when the stock one's fail ....as I know they will.

RJ
Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
chriscav

OdlyeOdie....

COG can't quite remember, but I'm using a fairly heavy 4 cell 3200 lipo. She points decidedly nose-down if I balance generally at the spar. I'm using the stock motor pack and prop that came with kit (this one was sold in a hobby shop with the pack included from World Models) and an e-flite 45 esc, no separate BEC. 25 or so flights so far with problems noted a few posts ago.

Regards,
Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 AM
odieyodie

Hey rowdy got a link to those new retracts?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 AM
rowdyjoe

Originally Posted by odieyodie View Post
Hey rowdy got a link to those new retracts?

Sure ....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QEA

3rd set down the column ....
http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...x&cPath=73_181

RJ

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 01-25-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
rowdyjoe

Originally Posted by odieyodie View Post
Man thats to bad. I know I had to add alot of weight to the front of their corsair before it would even fly. Maybe being tail heavy is a common problem with their planes. Let me know what cg finally works.

Good Luck
Tommy T.

Tommy,
Judging from the size of the battery compartment (large) on the P-51, I'd say this bird was designed around NIMH or NICAD batteries. They are much heavier and larger than LIPOs as you probably already know.
Your Corsair is probably built the same way and would explain why you had to add weight.

I must be snake bit when it comes to balancing airplanes at the CG. I crashed my new EDF jet yesterday because it was too nose heavy. I was using a larger battery but, it balanced fine at the CG. It was a bit tail heavy with the stock battery. Oh well, it's only money.

My P-51 parts should be here Thursday and I should have it flying again by the weekend.

RJ
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
rowdyjoe

Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
Sure ....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QEA

3rd set down the column ....
http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...x&cPath=73_181

RJ

ps - Cowboys 34 vs. Eagles 14 Yeeeeeee Haawwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, a flying buddy of mine bought a set of the metal retracts from Electric Jet Factory and I got a good look at them yesterday. They look to be the right size for direct replacement. I'll be ordering a set of those soon.

RJ
Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 AM
rowdyjoe

Status report on airplane no. 3 -
The parts arrived as scheduled and I reassembled her today. I checked the CG and found I had to move the batteries forward quite a bit ...duh! I must have been cross-eyed the first time I did this.
The weather is supposed to be great for flying RC tomorrow so, I'll hit the field early and fly as much as I can. I have an adapter that allows me to charge two 3s batteries at once so, I should be able to put her up quite often.

RJ
Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 AM
rowdyjoe

Flight report from 1/17/2010:
1st flight -Still tail heavy so, I moved the batteries 1" forward. Landed after about 1 min. of flight
2nd flight - still tail heavy but, better so, I move them another inch forward ...now 2" forward of aft-most part of battery tray. Landed after about 5 min. of flight trying to trim airplane for hands-off with no luck. Trim is a "half-notch" off ...1 click up is too much and 1 click down is too much.
Left landing gear housing broke upon moderately hard touch down. Cheap and flimsy gear will be replaced with all metal gear now on order.

I will remove 3/4oz. of lead added in rear of fuselage and continue attempts to balance in-flight. I will also re-position the control rod to the outer-most hole on the elevator control horn and the inner-most hole on the servo arm to reduce travel and soften elevator response. It is far too sensitive at the moment. If these actions don't fix it, I'll be looking for expert help.

RJ
Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 AM
rowdyjoe

Status report on No. 3:
Got the metal retracts today and did some measuring and practice fitting on the wing from no. 2. They won't be a direct drop-in replacement as the gear cavitiy must be modified to accept the slightly wider gear box and to adjust the mounting angle (horizontally) to allow the strut and wheel to fit into the well. I removed the plastic fairing around the gear legs to allow them to fit flat in the well.
I have an idea that may hide the gear box when the wheels are retracted. Hope I can make it work. If so, I'll post pictures here.

RJ
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
rowdyjoe

Status update on No. 3:
The metal retracts from Electric Jet Factory (RCLander brand) are installed and working fine. I used my dremmel motor and and a 60 grit sanding drum to make room in the gear box cavity to better control the amount of wood removed. It worked great.
I fabricated new and larger gear doors from light/thin basswood and covered them in aluminum colored Econokote. This color is not an exact match but, it's tougher material than stock and the heat required to stick and shrink it matches very well (less chance of burning the stock coating). I used half of the fairings I removed as a mounting aid for the new gear doors.
I also added covering around the gear box installations to hide most of the hardware. I left enough of an opening to allow the gear unrestricted movement.
The wheels that come with the "RCLander" retracts are just a bit smaller than the stock wheels but, I left them on to allow plenty of room in the wheel well to prevent any binding.
Pictures coming later.

RJ
Old 01-28-2010, 02:10 AM
rowdyjoe

Flight report on no. 3:
Had to move both batteries all the way forward to achieve a hands-off trim at about 1/2 throttle and it worked fine. However, it was still touchy in pitch. After landing, we began investigating the cause of the pitch sensitivity and discovered that the elevator was not returning to neutral after UP input. I'm still investigating but, added some scilicone lube to the control rod tubes. With bad weather moving in for the next few days, I'll have plenty of time to find and fix the problem. It could be in the linkage or it could be the servo ....haven't figured it out yet.

RJ
Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 AM
rowdyjoe

Update:
The "sticky" elevator was caused by the servo. I replaced it and all is working as it should. Ready for flight as soon as the weather cooperates ...maybe Sunday afternoon.

RJ

Quick Reply: World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10806 seconds with 13 queries