First Flight, First Repair - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

First Flight, First Repair

Old 12-26-2008, 05:25 PM
bullrich
Right rudder!

Default First Flight, First Repair

I used to fly commercial airliners, so how hard could this little Super Cub be? No ailerons, no flaps, can't cross control...this should be a walk in the park.

Correction: Crash in the park. 2 descending turns, and the right wingtip caught the grass and ripped the one-piece wing in two. Wheels-up time of 32 seconds. Now she's a hangar queen. :-)

But I love it. Next time, I'm flying her in MUCH larger field. :-)

Brian
Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

dang! glad there werent any passengers!

but seriously though lol hope ya get her fixed up, yeah bigger field sounds better, maybe not so tight turns would help
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 PM
65Knots750fpm
call me VX

Originally Posted by bullrich View Post
I used to fly commercial airliners, so how hard could this little Super Cub be? No ailerons, no flaps, can't cross control...this should be a walk in the park.

Correction: Crash in the park. 2 descending turns, and the right wingtip caught the grass and ripped the one-piece wing in two. Wheels-up time of 32 seconds. Now she's a hangar queen. :-)

But I love it. Next time, I'm flying her in MUCH larger field. :-)

Brian
A little advice, it is worth what you are charged for it! I see a lot of “full scale” pilots (they are all “REAL airplanes”) get discouraged because they can’t jump in and fly these “toy” airplanes. Put yourself back in “flight training”!! Find someone to work with you (new friends are fun too)! Lot less repair time! I got my “full scale” ticket after flying R/C, so I think it was a lot easier on me!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 PM
bullrich
Right rudder!

Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
dang! glad there werent any passengers!

but seriously though lol hope ya get her fixed up, yeah bigger field sounds better, maybe not so tight turns would help
No, no pax. And nothing a little CA and some packing tape won't fix. :-)

Yes, I'll be watching the turns...less bank, more flight. :-)
Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 PM
bullrich
Right rudder!

Originally Posted by 65Knots750fpm View Post
A little advice, it is worth what you are charged for it! I see a lot of “full scale” pilots (they are all “REAL airplanes”) get discouraged because they can’t jump in and fly these “toy” airplanes. Put yourself back in “flight training”!! Find someone to work with you (new friends are fun too)! Lot less repair time! I got my “full scale” ticket after flying R/C, so I think it was a lot easier on me!
Good advice...a little ground school certainly couldn't hurt. I'll do just that. I have a good friend that is an RC expert. I'll get some stick time with him.

Brian
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I was just like you, Brian. I learned to fly in 1960 and am a past CFI, so I surely did not need any help to fly a RC airplane. Fortunately, other fullsize airplane pilots educated me before I crashed.

The problem is that ole control reversal problem when they are coming at ya. It won't take long to overcome the problem. Your RC buddy will help.

Just keep on truckin, er, flyin.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:52 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Crash described in first post is classic Super Cub crash while turning. SC gets into nose high attitude, controls get mushy and then you crash because there is not enough lift from the wings nor thrust to keep the plane aloft.

Next time, keep the nose down and the speed up.

In stock trim with 7 cell NIMH, I think the SC is a little tail heavy - feels like you are flying and controlling behind the wing. Adding 4 quarters to the nose helps improve balance and reduces crabbing in corners.

Clint
Old 12-26-2008, 08:57 PM
bullrich
Right rudder!

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
I was just like you, Brian. I learned to fly in 1960 and am a past CFI, so I surely did not need any help to fly a RC airplane. Fortunately, other fullsize airplane pilots educated me before I crashed.

The problem is that ole control reversal problem when they are coming at ya. It won't take long to overcome the problem. Your RC buddy will help.

Just keep on truckin, er, flyin.
Thanks, Jim. I'm hearing the same, and my most recent 1/0 cycle has persuaded me. :-) I've just affected a repair to the wing, and will post the process in another thread.

Then...out for what I hope to be a 1/1 cycle. :-)

Brian
Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM
bullrich
Right rudder!

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Crash described in first post is classic Super Cub crash while turning. SC gets into nose high attitude, controls get mushy and then you crash because there is not enough lift from the wings nor thrust to keep the plane aloft.

Next time, keep the nose down and the speed up.

In stock trim with 7 cell NIMH, I think the SC is a little tail heavy - feels like you are flying and controlling behind the wing. Adding 4 quarters to the nose helps improve balance and reduces crabbing in corners.

Clint
Thanks, Clint. I'll keep that in mind once I actrually fly the thing long enough to learn the trim characteristics. :-) Plus, now I've made a repair to the wing that may affect it even more. I'll keep y'all posted.

Brian
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
bullrich
Right rudder!

Here's how I fixed it... :-)

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...465#post531465
Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Brian, where in Texas are you located when you drop that 30 feet.