First Flight, First Repair - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

First Flight, First Repair

Old 12-26-2008, 05:25 PM
  #1  
bullrich
Right rudder!
Thread Starter
 
bullrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 30ft AGL in Texas
Posts: 8
Default First Flight, First Repair

I used to fly commercial airliners, so how hard could this little Super Cub be? No ailerons, no flaps, can't cross control...this should be a walk in the park.

Correction: Crash in the park. 2 descending turns, and the right wingtip caught the grass and ripped the one-piece wing in two. Wheels-up time of 32 seconds. Now she's a hangar queen. :-)

But I love it. Next time, I'm flying her in MUCH larger field. :-)

Brian
bullrich is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM
  #2  
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...
 
GreenAce92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fredonia Ny
Posts: 4,302
Default

dang! glad there werent any passengers!

but seriously though lol hope ya get her fixed up, yeah bigger field sounds better, maybe not so tight turns would help
GreenAce92 is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 PM
  #3  
65Knots750fpm
call me VX
 
65Knots750fpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Agony GA
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by bullrich View Post
I used to fly commercial airliners, so how hard could this little Super Cub be? No ailerons, no flaps, can't cross control...this should be a walk in the park.

Correction: Crash in the park. 2 descending turns, and the right wingtip caught the grass and ripped the one-piece wing in two. Wheels-up time of 32 seconds. Now she's a hangar queen. :-)

But I love it. Next time, I'm flying her in MUCH larger field. :-)

Brian
A little advice, it is worth what you are charged for it! I see a lot of “full scale” pilots (they are all “REAL airplanes”) get discouraged because they can’t jump in and fly these “toy” airplanes. Put yourself back in “flight training”!! Find someone to work with you (new friends are fun too)! Lot less repair time! I got my “full scale” ticket after flying R/C, so I think it was a lot easier on me!
65Knots750fpm is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 PM
  #4  
bullrich
Right rudder!
Thread Starter
 
bullrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 30ft AGL in Texas
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
dang! glad there werent any passengers!

but seriously though lol hope ya get her fixed up, yeah bigger field sounds better, maybe not so tight turns would help
No, no pax. And nothing a little CA and some packing tape won't fix. :-)

Yes, I'll be watching the turns...less bank, more flight. :-)
bullrich is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 PM
  #5  
bullrich
Right rudder!
Thread Starter
 
bullrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 30ft AGL in Texas
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by 65Knots750fpm View Post
A little advice, it is worth what you are charged for it! I see a lot of “full scale” pilots (they are all “REAL airplanes”) get discouraged because they can’t jump in and fly these “toy” airplanes. Put yourself back in “flight training”!! Find someone to work with you (new friends are fun too)! Lot less repair time! I got my “full scale” ticket after flying R/C, so I think it was a lot easier on me!
Good advice...a little ground school certainly couldn't hurt. I'll do just that. I have a good friend that is an RC expert. I'll get some stick time with him.

Brian
bullrich is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
  #6  
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator
 
Rabbitcreekok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: McAlester, Oklahoma
Posts: 8,505
Default

I was just like you, Brian. I learned to fly in 1960 and am a past CFI, so I surely did not need any help to fly a RC airplane. Fortunately, other fullsize airplane pilots educated me before I crashed.

The problem is that ole control reversal problem when they are coming at ya. It won't take long to overcome the problem. Your RC buddy will help.

Just keep on truckin, er, flyin.
Rabbitcreekok is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 07:52 PM
  #7  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Crash described in first post is classic Super Cub crash while turning. SC gets into nose high attitude, controls get mushy and then you crash because there is not enough lift from the wings nor thrust to keep the plane aloft.

Next time, keep the nose down and the speed up.

In stock trim with 7 cell NIMH, I think the SC is a little tail heavy - feels like you are flying and controlling behind the wing. Adding 4 quarters to the nose helps improve balance and reduces crabbing in corners.


Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 08:57 PM
  #8  
bullrich
Right rudder!
Thread Starter
 
bullrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 30ft AGL in Texas
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
I was just like you, Brian. I learned to fly in 1960 and am a past CFI, so I surely did not need any help to fly a RC airplane. Fortunately, other fullsize airplane pilots educated me before I crashed.

The problem is that ole control reversal problem when they are coming at ya. It won't take long to overcome the problem. Your RC buddy will help.

Just keep on truckin, er, flyin.
Thanks, Jim. I'm hearing the same, and my most recent 1/0 cycle has persuaded me. :-) I've just affected a repair to the wing, and will post the process in another thread.

Then...out for what I hope to be a 1/1 cycle. :-)

Brian
bullrich is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM
  #9  
bullrich
Right rudder!
Thread Starter
 
bullrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 30ft AGL in Texas
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Crash described in first post is classic Super Cub crash while turning. SC gets into nose high attitude, controls get mushy and then you crash because there is not enough lift from the wings nor thrust to keep the plane aloft.

Next time, keep the nose down and the speed up.

In stock trim with 7 cell NIMH, I think the SC is a little tail heavy - feels like you are flying and controlling behind the wing. Adding 4 quarters to the nose helps improve balance and reduces crabbing in corners.


Clint
Thanks, Clint. I'll keep that in mind once I actrually fly the thing long enough to learn the trim characteristics. :-) Plus, now I've made a repair to the wing that may affect it even more. I'll keep y'all posted.

Brian
bullrich is offline  
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
  #10  
bullrich
Right rudder!
Thread Starter
 
bullrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 30ft AGL in Texas
Posts: 8
Default

Here's how I fixed it... :-)

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...465#post531465
bullrich is offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 AM
  #11  
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator
 
Rabbitcreekok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: McAlester, Oklahoma
Posts: 8,505
Default

Brian, where in Texas are you located when you drop that 30 feet.
Rabbitcreekok is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Kaw1000
Power Systems
6
03-09-2008 05:29 PM
ElectricMoose
Brushless Motor Construction
0
02-05-2008 05:43 PM
Inspired_Art
Foamies
2
10-24-2007 06:15 PM
Torch
Beginners
7
02-19-2007 03:01 AM
mandocuca
3D Flying
1
09-13-2006 02:15 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Quick Reply: First Flight, First Repair


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12230 seconds with 13 queries