Dynam Extra 330 question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Dynam Extra 330 question

Old 12-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Chappy
Chappy

Default Dynam Extra 330 question

New flyer here with a question. Anybody flying a Dynam Extra 330 foamy? How does yours handle? I've been using my simulator for several months now and felt really comfortable going to a low wing so I bought this "cheep" Extra. First trip to the field I crashed and burned. It seemed as though all my expotential settings were so sensitive that I couldn't keep it under control. A double check of my settings showed everything was on the soft side as I had thought would be comfortable. Did I just have a bad day or do the foamy's, because of their light weight, need extra, extra soft control settings to fly gently? Thanks.
Chappy
Old 12-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Flyer495th

I have one for about a year. It is a good flyer once I got the CG correct & the controls adjusted to MM not CM. I had a problem with the landing gear and the glue issued with the kit. I ended up adding a piece of thin plywood in front of the wing and mounted landing gear to it. Know no more problems. There are alot of better electrics out there. This was my first and last foam plane.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:03 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

That's a terrible plane to start out with. It's just about everything you DON'T want-low wing, ailerons, FRAGILE foam, FRAGILE motor, FRAGILE/MISERABLE landing gear, really crappy lipo charger (in the kit-so bad it should be illegal), lousy radio, etc.
Did I say FRAGILE!!!

I suppose that's kind of blunt. My buddy got the Cessna EP400 as a step up from the Super Cub. He got sucked in by the marketing blurb (brushless, lipo, tough foam, ailerons). It's all marketing BS. Mistake. He could already fly the Super Cub fine and land without a problem, but no way could he keep up with the Extra. He was all over the sky. In order to keep it intact I put it on my buddy box and even with help he couldn't deal with it. I had to REALLY dumb the controls down for him. Every time it even touched the ground rough (no crash just a bad landing) some thing broke. When he finally did crash it....well, repair wasn't a viable option.

Sorry about that. If you need more ranting I've tried to warn new fliers off in several other threads. I'll gladly go find the links but I think you get the drift.

The whole line is crappy and it appears in many rebranded disguises on several sites. They all clone and post the SAME marketing BS. Sounds really good. There's a Top Gun Park Flite Super Cub that is confusing the hell out of people that have gotten the recommendation to get the PARK ZONE SUPER CUB.
I've even seen folks with THE Hobby Zone Super Cub drooling over it as an upgrade path.

That POS is just another variation of the same junk foam and electronics. Dynam, DMZ, Imez, Top Gun....I'm sure there are more. All the same, all bad.

IF, and only IF, you are a GOOD and EXPERIENCED pilot that does NOT crash and knows how to fix the out of the box flaws (there's a mess of them) they can be made to fly decent. One good crash and they are rubble though. They are damn touchy though and the stock TX is not suitable-a GOOD TX makes them much more controllable. A good mess of EXPO helps a lot.

OTOH, the time, $$, and trouble spent getting them to function is MUCH better spent on a different and decent plane. There are many good alternatives. The ONLY electrics that are OK in the whole kit is the ESC and it's cheap anyway.

Recommendation-chalk it up to a learning experience. Start over. Best bet is to not even use the electrics as they will disappoint you in another plane.
There are several highly recommended trainer planes on the forum. Get one of those.
If you MUST use the electrics, go cheap and simple like a GWS slow stick.

Rule
-if you have to ask about a plane and no one has one on the forums, it's likely junk. Good planes have HOARDS of followers and LOTS of threads and information. New fliers should stay with the known and tried.

I'd suggest reading this: The Objective Of The First Plane Is Success, Not Features
and follow some of AJEAR's other links. He's wonderful when you are starting out.

Last edited by flydiver; 12-28-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Chappy
Chappy

Default Damn Extra 330

OK. So believe it or not flydiver your post makes me feel better. I thought it was just ME! ha. I know it is a "cheepie" the $ speak's for itself, but I didn't want to invest a lot into a low wing until I thought I had it "mastered." As I said, I do feel confident on the simulator (FS One) using my own radio (JR/SP6102) flying 'stunt' type (Brio/Showtime) planes, all-be-it I have taken most of their snap and whip out of their nature with my radio's exponential settings, but I still thought I could take it up and back down without any serious damage. But I was wrong. It looked like a moth dancing around a flame. My brief 20-30 second flight resulted in both wings seriously cracked, front cowling destroyed and almost snaped the nose of the fusaloge in half. Surprised the motor still works. The landing gear held up though!! 495 I did recognize the weak link of the landing gear when I was putting the plane together and reinforced them with a couple of the wifes hair brets before glueing the gear in place. (difficult to explain) Won't know if it did the trick until I can come down on the wheels though:o I do have a Citabra fomy high wing that I started with this past summer, but I have mastered it and find it boring. I wanted to move into something more challanging so I went with a cheep low wing for starters thus the Dynam. I have a balsa Telemaster with an aileron wing on the table as we speak but I would like to have something in addition with a little spirit and zig that I can grow into. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input gentelman.
Chappy
Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

GWS eStarter comes to mind. Good flier by all accounts. I've flown one but never built it. Flew well. Lots of info available.

Multiplex MiniMag is a good solid flier and made out of really tough foam. I have one of these and have no trouble recommending them. Massive amount of info. Great plane-stock motor is lousy and needs replacement.

If you want a larger step up the Stryker has a lot of zing and you could build it from parts and avoid the crappy electronics of the original. Also good foam and a fine flier. Pretty fast to start though. Mine took a lOT of hits before I got it sorted out and I could fly Slow Stick and Super Cub without issues, even in modest wind. It's amazing tough and repairs well but when it hits it's generally going fast so can take a big WHUMP! like any jet.

The Superfly is a very tough and by all accounts a fun to fly EPP Delta. Lots of people LOVE theirs. I did the Stryker > Funjet route otherwise might have gotten one of those. Likely will some day.

Did you use the stock TX or use the JR? I have the JR6102 (fine TX) and with some expo and throw limits that plane might have been serviceable.

My first flight with my buddies (he was too scared to even try), on stock TX was a REAL exciting event. Your description sounds similar-WAY too twitchy. I went right home, took out the RX and put in on my JR and a buddy box for him. After awhile he could take off and mostly fly but almost could never land it without doing damage. He would often just lose it during flight and if it hadn't been on buddy box would have augured in. It didn't last long once he got off the buddy box. He thought he SHOULD be able to fly it and was annoyed he had so much trouble.

I suspect the LG survived as other parts of the plane took the impact. I strongly suspect you'll find the shaft bent on that motor even if it runs. I must have straightened my buddies at least 6 times. It would bend the shaft without breaking the prop just from minor prop strikes. Pretty powerful motor, really soft shaft (Tower Pro 2408-21) characteristic of all the Tower Pro bell motors.

Glad you took the input with good grace. Join my little growing pack of pilots warning other unsuspecting individuals off these garbage planes.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Chappy
Chappy

I hope I don't follow in the plight of your buddy with mine. I still have hope. I've made the repairs and I'm waiting on a good day to try it again. This time I'm getting it up higher and try to get use to its response all the while in the Expo mode to make handling softer. You are right though, the shaft of the motor has a slight wobble to it but don't see how I could make it any better so I'm going to live with it. I used a Hitec Micro 05S receiver. It was one suggested on the site I ordered the plane with. It was equipped with servo's, ESC and motor but I had to supply the receiver, battery and Tx. I wasn't aware that a Rx could make that much difference in how the plane actually handled. I guess the servo's are just as much suspect in my case. They did come installed. They seemed "smooth" on the ground. I hope the HiTec electronics aren't junk. I've installed their servo's and receiver on my Telemaster build. Think I'll wait and see how my Tele turns out in flight and maybe look toward a balsa mid/low wing for my next plane. Hey thanks for the advice.
Chappy
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Twmaster

One thing to consider. The Extra is an extreme aerobatics airframe. It is designed to move in radical types of maneuvers. This inherently makes for a poor newbie plane.

Put the Extra aside until you've progressed some. Other good low wing foamies would be the GWS Corsair, P40 or FW-190.

The other suggestions of the E-Starter and Mini-Mag are also very good choices.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Some misunderstanding there.
His came as a complete kit and I assumed yours did also. So his RX was 'mated' to the TX. His stock TX has no expo or dual rate, limiting or anything so the controls were really twitchy. I put in my RX so I could use the JR on it. I left the Dynam ESC and servos-they were serviceable.

If you fixed it, then limit the throws either with the servo linkages or in the TX considerably, esp. the elevator. Servos, more so arm length and the control rod position can make a difference since they define the mechanical leverage. Lacking TX control you can use those to limit control surface movement.

Assuming you have the TP motor you can get shafts here for cheap with cheap shipping. Again, assuming the 2408-21 motor you should NOT be propping it above a GWS 8x4 HD and a 7x3.5 will tame it down until you get a better feel for it and get it tuned up to your liking. HeadsUp (Jeff) has those also and LOTS of info about the motors and prop combos he carries. Great site-recommended for 'basic' stuff.

You can try straightening it
. Remove, place on a hard flat surface and tap with a plastic or padded (tape) hammer on the high side. Roll and tap until at least improved.
Jeff's shipping is fast so you could just wait for a new shaft too.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
danford1
Seasoned Flyer

Default Wish I read this thread before I bought one.

I Wish I read this thread before I bought one.
I got the ARF version, but it was more of a kit than an ARF.
It came with the motor, speed control and servos. I added the radio then hooked up all the linkage, some of that had to be made as the supplied stuff was just wrong... What a twitchy plane ! I flew it 2 times and was glad I was able to get it down in one piece.
I moved the CG forward so it was right on the spar. I reduced the elevator and aileron throws to half of what I had.
The next 2 flights were marginally better. Still EXTREMELY sensitive to any elevator or aileron input. Plus it flies to fast for me to fly relaxed. I'm on edge all the time white knuckling it around and trying to land in one piece.
I flew it one more time another day. Luckily the plane is still in one piece.
I'm selling this thing. I just don't like it. I have a guy that is supposed to buy it tomorrow. I'll be happy to see it go even at a loss...

It would need a computer radio with expo. I just had a normal basic 4 ch radio.

Cheerz
Danford1
Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Chappy
Chappy

danford1,
I did finally get to fly the plane with some success however I never was comfortable with it. Just don't think I'm cut out for that style of an airplane. Too quick, too responsive and yes fragile. I do have a Eflight Mini Funtana that I have no problems with and enjoy flying however. I have since sold the Dynam and resigned to the fact that "zing" isn't my thing. It was however what I paid for it.

Chappy