New E-Tec lipo 2500mAh 3s2p 'zero voltage' - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

New E-Tec lipo 2500mAh 3s2p 'zero voltage'

Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM
tinkerer

Default New E-Tec lipo 2500mAh 3s2p 'zero voltage'

Hi guys, I bought a E-Tec battery some time ago, (around one year) and was advised that it would be ok stored as is for the duration. I looked at it this evening and there is 0v across all of the cells. As well as this, the pack is slightly swelled also.... (Don't panic, I have put the whole lot out into the middle of a large garden until I can work out what I need to do with it.) The question remains, should a brand new pack be capable of doing this?? I havent even had the chance to put connectors on it yet... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks...
Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Twmaster

It's done. I never liked E-Tec. Every one (ok, only two) I ever had puffed or lost a cell.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

That pack is history.

If its truly zero volts on each and every cell then the pack is relatively safe.

The gasses inside the cells that are causing the puffing are still flamable though so you do still need to be carefull with it.

I would keep it outside and make a long stick with a nail in the end or use a pitch fork etc to poke holes in it. Be sure to get holes in all the cells. After that, you could put it in some salt water for a while just to be extra carefull its completely safe. Then toss it in the trash or recycle it.

You do need to be sure every cell is at zero volts or close to it or the stored internal energy could cause a short and ignite the gasses when you puncture the pack.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

By the way - sometimes they go bad for no apparent reason.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 AM
darylm44

I have left my batteries plugged in a couple of times and totally discharged them. With my cellpro 4, when you plug them in you get a low battery message. If you leave them plugged in and change the screen to the voltage/cell screen you will see that it is trickle charging individual cells. Leave it for several hrs and the voltage on all the cells will clime. When you get to 3 volts per cell the charger will continue to charge the battery as normal. I have recovered 3 batteries this way.

I have also read that you can charge the battery on a NiCa charger at @ 2amps for 10 minutes or so until the voltage comes up to 3 volts / cell and then finish charging on any LiPo charger. Don't leave the battery unattended while on the NiCa charger.

If I was you I would give this a try before I threw the battery away. I have had a couple of 2100 that puffed a little and they worked fine for many charges afterwords.