Is my setup wrong? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Is my setup wrong?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
J Reed
J Reed

Default Is my setup wrong?

Plane: SS with HiMax HA2025-4200
Radio: Spektrum DX7

Problem: Wants to continue to climb continously

I check out the plane before leaving to fly and controls are working fine. Rudder and elevator both function fine and return to center. I get to the field and do a preflight and again everything is ok. As I taxi off, it takes to the air and is quickly climbing. I have control of the plane with the controls, but unless I stay on a continous down stick, the plane wants to climb continously.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 02-12-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 PM
offtom
Megans Servant

Another possible option.

Did you put any down thrust on the motor when it was mounted?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:24 PM
J Reed
J Reed

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
sounds like it's a little tail heavy.

move some weight forward, or slide the wing back a little at a time, until it flies level.
I'll give that a try. My CG is located 4.25" from the LE. I'm using the system in the photos to locate the CG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240036.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	91571   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240035.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	91572  
Old 01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
J Reed
J Reed

Originally Posted by offtom View Post
Another possible option.

Did you put any down thrust on the motor when it was mounted?
Due to the way the motor assembly attaches to the fuse, I'm not able to do that.

I'm going to try the CG next.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Full-Time Climb?

Hello J Reed, Welcome to Wattflyer!
From the photo it looks like your C.G. is pretty close. If moving it forward doesn't help, remember this; Your plane is overpowered.
Combining this with a deeply undercambered airfoil and a couple of degrees of built-in incidence will assuredly result in a climbing attitude.
But there's a solution; Less throttle.
My guess is, with this power set-up, your model will "Cruise" (Maintain altitude) at 1/3rd throttle or possibly less. More than this will be wasted by a constant climbing attitude and the resultant down elevator to compensate.
Try taking off at 2/3rds throttle and lowering the throttle once you gain enough altitude. Reduce the throttle until the model is flying very slowly, not climbing or losing altitude. That's your "Cruise" setting. Use more power for aerobatics, less to land.
The SS is incredibly stable at low speeds. The problem may be that you're flying it at a higher speed and the aerodynamic set-up causes it to climb.
Just a suggestion,
Ron
Old 01-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I fly my Slow Stick with a Himax 2025-4200, and a Cobri gearbox.

I have two suggestions for you:
  • Looking at the photo you posted, your airplane is very much tail heavy. The CG point of the wing is forward of where you have the pencils. (Actually the square-head (new) pencil erasers will make the airplane easier to balance -- you're better off using USED erasers for testing your balance). Try this:
    1. The manual shows were the CG point of the wing is -- measure, and mark the CG point on the wing, with a pencil or pen.
    2. Remove the wing from the airplane, and find the CG point of the entire airplane (without the wing, but including the battery). Mark this spot on your airplane with a pencil or pen.
    3. Reattach the wing so that the two CG marks (fuselage and wing) line up.
  • The Himax 2025-4200 is a very powerful motor (I use mine to lift a Pentax Optio S40 4-megapixel camera into the air for aerial photography)! The Slow Stick doesn't need much power to fly. New pilots tend to apply too much throttle when flying. Try this:
    1. Put the Slow Stick on the ground, point her into the wind, and very gradually apply throttle, until the Slow Stick just leaves the ground. When she leaves the ground, reduce throttle until she lands -- just fly in a straight line for this step.
    2. Keep doing this, until you feel comfortable looking down at your throttle stick for a few moments.
    3. Now that you know where your minimum throttle setting is, try to fly the airplane at about that same setting (maybe a little higher, but not much).
Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help!