All Wired Up and Nowhere To Connect - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

All Wired Up and Nowhere To Connect

Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 AM
RacerX

Default All Wired Up and Nowhere To Connect

Rants = on
I am a dad… I am a currently out of work dad… Being such, I have a limited budget for gizmos and gadgets. I also have a 13 year old boy with and unlimited desire for every new R/C vehicle ever made…

Of course, what with the latest and greatest R/C vehicle be without a lipo upgrade? I rapidly became aware of the tendencies for lipo batteries to explode like miniature hand grenades which is usually an undesired occurrence in the typical garage or workshop. I have also learned that every lipo batteries I purchase seems to have a different balancing connector.

After purchasing a state of the art battery charger and balancer, I have noticed that the balancer does not necessarily work with all the different connectors… buying additional balancers and/or adapters, which means spending additional money…

Let's revisit the "I am looking for job" dad part of this rant. It irritates me to no end to spend money so uselessly. It occurs to me that the industry should adopt a standard type of connector to balance all common lipo batteries.

While we're at it, how about the battery connectors themselves… Anybody that has used a decent R/C vehicle knows (in the case of cars and trucks) the standard connectors simply do not cut the mustard. Standard connectors have a nasty tendency to overheat and weld themselves together…

Traxxas makes great connectors, but I somehow think their competitors may have an issue with adopting that standard. Which brings us to Deans; if you have soldered a Dean's connector and a Traxxas connector at the same time you may have noticed that the actual contacts are very similar. Therefore it would be exceedingly nice if the industry would adopt Deans connectors as the standard.

The same holds true for planes… Of course as weight is a huge concern perhaps the Mini Dean would be the better choice for micro flyers.

I am a network engineer by trade. The only way networks can work is if all of the different companies involved work together and adopt standards. Standard connectors, cables and other components ensure that it all works together. When you don't have the standards you end up with different systems that are incompatible and the whole thing gets messy very quickly…

Rants = off

Oh yeah; my name is Marc Everlove and this is my first post, I am a webmaster/network engineer/R/C enthusiast and I hope to contribute a lot to this forum.
See Ya Online!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Welcome to wattflyer ya they all learned from Microsoft you now how that one goes. There all types of battery connectors this is a matter of preference deans are hard to pull apart I recently switched to Anderson power poles. Lot of information on this site. Hope ya find a job soon it's tough out there for sure.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Marc, welcome to Wattflyer. You are absolutely correct about the charge connectors on batteries. It may get better with time. Astroflite makes adapters for most battery balancing plugs.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Marc, again welcome to WattFlyer. Great people on here for the most part; very helpful.
Commonality issues= many
I have seen suggestions on how to notch Deans connectors to give you better grip for disconnecting. They are definitely what I look for in the bigger LiPos (well, anything over 1000 mAh is "big" to me).
Mini Deans are easier to grip with that little lip they have, but they can still be a bear to pull apart all the same. I am working on a high-wing monoplane that has mini Deans, so they are definitely favored by me for the 10 Amp and under brushless motor category.
One last comment: most components are fairly inexpensive except for the transmitter and the battery multi-charger. I still like NiMh batteries for small trainer aircraft, so I look forward to prices dropping on them. I have a GWS IPS-B brushed motor that is still running like a top, so it is going to get a little Cub to fit into in the future.
I feel very sympathetic to all who are unemployed at this time- I won't go into my feelings on the causes because most are well-known or should be well-known to most of us. I hope you can find employment in your field in the near future. Good luck and good night.

Bob
Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 AM
RacerX

Yeah, it's not my first rodeo, just ranting. I have been doing this awhile now... My garage looks like a nightmarish Radio Shack only worse.

Radio's, batteries, chargers...

Somehow it is the chargers that get under my fingernails... I have a superbrain 989 as my primary along with a superbrain 977... After that there are the obligitory various chargers, wires, balancers all tangled into some kind of freakish technical spaghetti that I fear may one day devour me or a loved one someday...

I can see it now... What happened to the kids? My wife will ask....

You are entirely correct about the Deans being difficult to disconnect. The Traxxas connectors are actually quite a bit better, though they can be ornery also, but at least they have grippy ridges.

I say Dean's because they seem to be dominant in the marketplace, but I agree they may not be the best mousetrap... I just want anything that will tame the conglomeration of chargers/balancers that are overrunning my workbench...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:23 AM
RacerX

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Welcome to wattflyer ya they all learned from Microsoft you now how that one goes. There all types of battery connectors this is a matter of preference deans are hard to pull apart I recently switched to Anderson power poles. Lot of information on this site. Hope ya find a job soon it's tough out there for sure.

Thanks! I like the site very much. It has helped me in the past, I have lurked around for awhile and decided it was finally time to join...

The job thing is what it is... I will find something, I blew an interview today. Not often I get tripped up on tech questions , but this was old command line MX stuff and I forgot all of that 10 years ago. I mean I will still use the ol' dos prompt from time to time, but c'mon...

Cest' La Vie...