how long have you been flying RC. - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

how long have you been flying RC.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:37 AM
BillM

I started flying R/C in 1968. I flew Control Line prior to that.

BM
Old 08-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I guess model flying has always been in my blood. I have a photo my father took in 1935 of a u-control scale model of a Northrup flying wing on the event of its first flight. It had both a pusher and tractor engines. I tried u-control in the 50's but could not get the Cox engines to run long enough to do much damage.

I finally got into R/C in 2000, learning on a Sig LT-40. Everything else I have is now electric. I have a Sig Four Star 60 kit and a Saito 91 waiting for assembly. I plan to build the kit and use an Axi or something similiar, I just don't know what yet.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Watt Power
Watts Up Doc?

Default Long Time!

Since 1972. I built a Heathkit 5 channel from scratch,,,and it began!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Jason T
Electron Liberator

Watt Power,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Jason
Old 08-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Been flying since May 2005. Started with a Yak 54 foamie. Killed it right away. Got an Easystar and things took off from there. Like I said in another post. "Watching my Mofo (Formosa) ROG for the first flight of the day at daybreak, moves me like nothing else." When I fly I am truely happy.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Watt Power
Watts Up Doc?

Default Watt Power!

Originally Posted by Jason T
Watt Power,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Jason
Thanks Jason! I'll be around learning. I need a plane or helo to carry my mini Video Camera,,any thoughts? Ray.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	My Camera  Platform bigger.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	751  
Old 08-20-2005, 06:26 PM
skypupnut

Started flying R/C in 1965 while in Goose Bay Labrador
Sterling Monocoupe on single chan.
flew C/L before
was off R/C between 1975 and 1987 while I built 3 1 to 1 I could sit in.
heart problems got me back to flying models. Glow Gas and 6 Electrics + 2 helies i glow and 1 E Power love it

Jean
Old 08-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Fly-n-3D

I started flying December 2004. I had a E-flite Yak 54 and now I am building a 3D foamy Edge 540.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:25 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Fly-n-3D
I started flying December 2004. I had a E-flite Yak 54 and now I am building a 3D foamy Edge 540.
Witch one are you building?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:00 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

My dad got me addicted with a couple rubber power kits for my 4th birthday in 1948, added CL to FF with the purchase of an OK Cub 099 and an Enterprise Air Racer about late 1949 or 50, and got my first attempt at RC with a kit built Super Aerotrol Transmitter and Reciever from America's Hobby Center in 1962. Also tried building a couple recievers from magazine articles, and by 1963, I had my first single channel escapement system ready to go into a plane. That's when I started crashing RC.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:27 AM
TaSaJaRa
AP Flyers See More

9 months and loving every min. I have built a few planes in the short time I have been flying.

BlueCor FFF is my friend....
All planes below are made of bluecor FFF except the Slow Stick.

My first was a Slow Stick of which I have modded alot.
With a custom wing I built from scratch. It has Ailerons now
and doubles as my AP plane.

2nd was a Citabria of which I changed the wing to make it a slow flyer as at this time I was still in the learning stage.

3rd plane was a ZagNutz which flys very well in most any weather.

4th plane was a 3D Katana and I am still tring to get the hang of.

5th plane was a Mugi Evo it is a tuff little plane to fly
I had to cut the epa down to 35% to make it easier to fly.
And it will still do rolls very fast.

6th was a Pylon Racer. This is the fastest of all my planes and a lot of fun to fly.

Name:	8 Slow Stick wing airfoil.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing gear changed 1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	959   Click image for larger version

Name:	_Finished top.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra Wing Area s.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Evo Extra Fins.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	962  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigger Shrike.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	963  
Old 08-27-2005, 02:47 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

nice looking fleet there,The last 3 might fly better with Props on them,LOL j/K with you.What model is that pylon flyer?
Old 08-27-2005, 03:07 AM
TaSaJaRa
AP Flyers See More

That is an AZ Shrike. with a short Video
I have built 2, one of them just a little bigger than the first.
So I can fit a 3 cell 2200 mah battery into it.

Setup is a 400F JustGoFly.com brushless
with a 5.7x3 apc prop.

Name:	Bigger Twin 1small.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	965  
Old 08-27-2005, 05:39 AM
funnysticks

Started u/c in the 40's, r/c in the 50's, went to work for Citizenship r/c who was a Manufacturer in the 60's and flew pattern contests for 5 years. Been flying off and on until 7 years ago. Dropped by the local hobby shop a couple of months ago and saw the new E-flight stuff and lost it. Started with a E-flite Gypsy w/brushless 370 and 1350 lipos and am having a blast. Hope to get my confidence up so I can fly my mini Funtana w/400 brushless and 2100 3 cell lipo's. I just turned 68 yrs old and don't think I will ever go back to the greasy motors. My wife loves that my clothes don't don't stink when I come back from flying. Plus I can fly from the backyard. You have a great forum here and enjoy reading all the posts. Thanks for your efforts. Just watch out for those subterranian pullouts.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by funnysticks
Started u/c in the 40's, r/c in the 50's, went to work for Citizenship r/c who was a Manufacturer in the 60's and flew pattern contests for 5 years. Been flying off and on until 7 years ago. Dropped by the local hobby shop a couple of months ago and saw the new E-flight stuff and lost it. Started with a E-flite Gypsy w/brushless 370 and 1350 lipos and am having a blast. Hope to get my confidence up so I can fly my mini Funtana w/400 brushless and 2100 3 cell lipo's. I just turned 68 yrs old and don't think I will ever go back to the greasy motors. My wife loves that my clothes don't don't stink when I come back from flying. Plus I can fly from the backyard. You have a great forum here and enjoy reading all the posts. Thanks for your efforts. Just watch out for those subterranian pullouts.
Welcome to the site and thanks for replying on my topic,that is great,yes these E planes are so much fun,me and my father played with them about 12 years ago but only got a few minutes flight time we love them now and can fly in the back yard.glad to have you on here,this is a great site,alot of good help here.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Faspro
Schoolyard pilot

Just had a successful fifth flight. Started two weeks ago. I have a Wing Dragon and a Wattage Cessna 180. I just ordered parts for a glow conversion for a Norvel Neo-Fun classic 1/2 A. My dad flew planes back when I was young, I always wanted to get into it but never did. Now I'm 28 and have to make up for lost time.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:03 PM
aarcon
aarcon

Much like my entry into RC, built my first rcvr-1AG4 gas tube jobbie in 1952, from plans in MA. Didn't really get into RC until 1970-with digital Kraft radios. Have been building/flying ever since---now 80 and still going strong. Three sons ,all avid flyers too. Good Lift Aarcon
Old 08-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Hotshot Charlie

Started flying nitro planes in the mid to late 70's. Got into foamy planes and electric and nitro heli's about 1.5 years ago. Pretty well all heli's now, electric and nitro. It's a great hobby ! BTW, I started with a Kraft 4 channel radio. I think it cost me around $529 with transmitter, receiver, 4 servos, switch and battery pack. Somethings have gotten better and cheaper over the years ! :-) Also built planes when all you had was the yellow glue, like Elmer's (can't remember the name....alpha or something like that). Hehehehe getting old.... I started flying (or attempting) control line planes when I was a young teenager, in the 60's.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
yamakawazuki
non member

been flying since march, more crashing than flying, but its been alot of fun.this is a very addictive hobby.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:56 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by yamakawazuki
been flying since march, more crashing than flying, but its been alot of fun.this is a very addictive hobby.
yes it is addictive,keep trying you will get the hang of it,if you dont run out of money Try to get you a flight similator if you can,they help alot.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I find that most of my crashes are the result of poor pre-flight and general stupidity. Also, when building balsa planes, use epoxy when applicable, you may regret it if you don't. I don't use GWS receivers anymore. I did okay with them for a while, but now they are killing my planes. The new ones have much shorter antennaes.
The say it doesn't affect the range. WRONG! I only use electron 6's now. Unless I'm flying a 3D plane. Sorry this is off topic, but someone mentioned crashes.

Steve
Old 08-29-2005, 02:33 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Doppelganger
I find that most of my crashes are the result of poor pre-flight and general stupidity. Also, when building balsa planes, use epoxy when applicable, you may regret it if you don't. I don't use GWS receivers anymore. I did okay with them for a while, but now they are killing my planes. The new ones have much shorter antennaes.
The say it doesn't affect the range. WRONG! I only use electron 6's now. Unless I'm flying a 3D plane. Sorry this is off topic, but someone mentioned crashes.

Steve
Its okay with me,Since I'm the topic starter,Yeah gws Rx's have short range.the Electron 6's is all we are using I havent had any problems with them.
Some of the guys use them in mini IFO's and stuff but I dont think I would use one unless I was flying indoors.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun
Yeah gws Rx's have short range.the Electron 6's is all we are using I havent had any problems with them.
Some of the guys use them in mini IFO's and stuff but I dont think I would use one unless I was flying indoors.
^^ Ditto^^
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 AM
harrymc
Plane Crazy!

Been messing around with airplanes of some kind since I was a kid.(Free flight, U-Control, etc...)

Started flying R/C in 1975
Stopped in 1994
Started again in Summer of 2004

I got it worse now than ever!!! :o
Old 09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
A10FLYR

Rubber in the '50's, control line in the '60's, RC from the late '60's. Flying "E", glow, and kero now. Still have a few gas but not flying them at present.

Quick Reply: how long have you been flying RC.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11346 seconds with 21 queries