how long have you been flying RC. - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

how long have you been flying RC.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up How Long?

Not long enough!

Since I was six (1950) I used to go out with my maternal grandfather to fly his free flight models and very large and elaborate hand made kites. We used to spend most of the day together in the company of friends who shared the same pastime. At 13 we switched to Control Line and R/C followed shortly after that.

Over the years I have owned the Minnie Mambo (single channel), a Mambo sigle channel and a 'multi' Sr. Mambo by Sterling Models. Jr. Falcons, Jr. Skylarks and Jr. Skylanes by Goldberg were also flown single channel. A Falcon 56 followed by a Skylark 56 and a Skylane 62 were flown 'multi' channel. I must also mention my Berkeley Astro Hog (now kitted by SIG), it was built in 1961 and it is still going strong in addition to a 1969 built Sr. Falcon. Both the 44 year old Astro Hog (still fitted with its Anderson Spitfire engine up front) and its mate, the 36 year old Sr. Falcon are flown under my command through a Hitec Flash 5 System X radio at special "Old Timers" events these days. Back in the '70s a KRAFT Single Stick KPT-6S six channel radio (pictured below) was used with both models. I still have that 34 year old KRAFT TX safely stashed away in a dresser drawer.

A few Dubro (Aero Commander & Sea Bird) and Lanier (Cessna, Javelin and Mustang) "ARFs" followed in quick succesion. Those Dubro and Lanier ARFs were DOGS to put together and fly, though they went together quicker than building a kit. They flew like radio controlled missiles and thanks to the reliability of Kraft and Pro-Line radios of the '70s we were able to keep them under control all the time.

Amazing how this hobby has changed over the years. In the early days radio gear cost a mint and were utterly unreliable. We spent more time fussing with the radios and "R/C" engines than flying. Things have improved considerably over the years.

These days radios are reliable and do all sort of things, and relatively speaking, they are rather inexpensive. ARF models are beautifully put together and lightweight. The use of foam has revolutionized this hobby also, and electric flight has been the 'SHOCKING' experience this hobby so sorely needed. Been at E-Flight for the past six years now. E-Flight is clean, quiet (neighborhood friendly) and reliable. E-Flight is the only way to go R/C these days, especially since the advent of Lithium batteries has made longer flights a reality.

I have kept my Hog and Sr. Falcon for memory's sake, they are very close to my ailing heart and get to fly them both every once in long while. Both are pictured below at the Freestate Aeromodelers (FSA) flying facilities in Laurel, MD. Notice how the wing and stab on the Hog are held in place by rubber bands. The original Berkeley Astro Hog featured barn door ailerons that were supported by wooden hinges. The Sr. Falcon wing is held in place by rubber bands also.

This is great hobby, one where we get to meet really nice people and have a good time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	astro02b.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2552   Click image for larger version

Name:	astro01b.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2553   Click image for larger version

Name:	anderson-spitfire-6100.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2555   Click image for larger version

Name:	astro-srfalcon-b.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2556   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr-falcon.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	2580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kraft-series71-kpt6s-01.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2581  

Last edited by qban_flyer; 10-13-2005 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Inclusion of photos

Old 10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
frvrngn
Oops....

Rookie here - Flying all of 3 months Started on a Slo-V and the airplane addiction hit big time. Since then - Stryker, beat-up Zagi 400X I got dirt cheap so I could learn to rebuild a wing and wouldnt care about crashing it as much, and just 1 hour ago I maidened my Windrider EleBee wing. 4 planes - 3 months. My understanding wife is starting to get not so understanding...

I will have to say that since I am still new, the Slo-V is the most satisfying to fly. I can keep her airborne for quite a while and do basic loops and just goof off. Its pretty relaxing. The 3 wings I have are not so relaxing to fly. At least they bounce when I get the itch to fly and its too windy for the Slo and really for me to be out flying!

Learned completely on my own and recently DL'd FMS to help with the wings. However, all the wing models I have found fly completely different then when I am actually out flying. I think I will just have to learn by my mistakes.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Walter Laich
E Flite in 24 Century

Started in 1964 with a single channel galloping ghost arf from Testors--white foam low wing, red plastic fuse--rudder only. Built my first 5 channel radio (Heathkit) in 69.

Back then a Heathkit "kit" was $225 plus shipping--4 servos (big as a brick) and a five channel TX and RX. No reversing unless you went into the servos and swapped some wires.

So the price of radios has come down tremendously.

walt
Old 10-13-2005, 02:13 AM
DickCorby

My first plane was a Falcon Jr., Galloping Ghost, Bumblebee .049 and it was state of the art. Kit was $2.95 at the Base hobby shop.

I have another now. Put out by a gentleman in Michigan. Its full house, including nosewheel steering, AXI brushless, and 3S-2P lipolys, Hitec Computer radio and mini-servos.

I have videos of both on my website. 1968 and now.

http://www.altacom.us/Models.htm
Old 10-13-2005, 02:18 AM
cropduster
cropduster

Default How long have you been flying R/C

I started flying free flight when I was seven, those of you that can remember the five cent "stick models". After that, I went into control line flying for the next forty some years. Then in 1980 I tried R/C flying and been there ever since, non-stop. I think there is nothing more facinating than seeing "your creation" actually fly and do what you want it to do. My favorite planes are warbirds mainly WW-1 and WW-11 vintage. I am just getting my feet wet in electrics and am having a big "charge" out of it.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:49 AM
TomDenham
just another modeler

Since 1960 ... electric only since 1999.

Tom
Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 AM
funnysticks

Smile

My first r/c was a berkley navion with a aerotrol gas tube receiver that never had enough range to attempt a flight. That was in '56 and the navion became a u/control model. In '57 I got a Citizenship single channel with a Babcock escapement and a Gyro ground base xmtr. It was installed in a Debolt Champ with a K&B .15 for power. After a first flight crash I probably got 100 flights on it. It was followed by several single channel planes until about '60 when I got a Smog Hog with a .35 and 8 channel reed system. I thought this was the ultimate in r/c until about 1963 when I found an Analog system being built in my home town of Indianapolis by the same company as my first succesful r/c "Citizenship Radio". To make a long story a little shorter, I went to work for them and saw the development of digital proportional radios and the great stuff we have today. Just this year after a 7 year layoff from flying I got into E-flight.
Needless to say I was impressed with the tiny radios and the power of the new motors and batteries. I feel like a 68 year old kid discovering all the new things possible with things available to us now. I now have 2 fixed wing and 1 helicopter I just started to learn to fly. I'm still on my first set of rotor blades! It is just a matter of time 'till I need new ones. I am having a blast as I am now retired and can spend all the time I want on r/c. Like they say, " It doesn't get any better than this"
Dan
Old 10-13-2005, 05:57 AM
soarr
Glider guider

Ok, I started flying RC in July 2004. After hopelessly crashing my Aerobird Challenger multiple times, I shelved it after 1 month of trying. I later found out that it was a transmitter problem - Hobbyzone replaced everything. In July 2005, I started again; this time, with a GWS Slow Stick. In three month's time, I have accumulated a Cirrus 2M glider, a discus launch glider, and Cermark Newtimer in addition to the Slow Stick. I am currently finishing a second Cirrus and a flying wing.

too much fun...just too much...

M
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 AM
GLBiggles

I've been flying models since 1950. Started with catapult gliders, later tried free flight gliders (first one was a"huge!!?" 30 inch model). When I could afford a motor tried control Line and flew that until early 60's when I was given a part built single channel model. I bought a valve Rx and a modified mighty midget electric actuator and using a borrowed Tx entered Radio Control. Or maybe the control came laterbut we did try. Since then have flown most types of R/C and in my retirement I'm still at it mainly electric these days. I still dabble with others as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 AM
flyingwings

Default Flying as long as I can remember

My mother gave me my first airplane in 1947. She said I was always watching the airplanes that were flying by. We lived near Malton Airport in Ontario.
The model was a glider called the Shadow.
By the time I was ten I had a full fledged model airplane club going. At that time we were building Berkley and Strombecker models.

A friend of mine, Don Shalk, his dad had many beautiful control line models. He built a circle in there back yard. Spent many great times there.

Had such a love for aircraft I had my pilots licence in 1962. Joined the Royal Canadian Air Force planning to be a pilot. They washed me out of Centralia in 3 days. I was deaf in one ear and didn't even know it. Sure know it now. Stayed in the Air Force to work on the electronic systems on the CF-104 Star Fighter in France and Germany.

Built control line models while waiting for 104's to come in for servicing. Graupner kits mostly.

Built my first control line flying wing in 1967 in Lahr, Germany.

Left the Air Force in 1968 to go to University. Designed and built my first scale retracting landing gear for a Control Line Spitfire.

After University I started work with Dehavilland Aircraft as a Structural Engineer working on the Dash 7. Let's see that was 1972. So my first foam airplanes were built in 1973. However, I built a Guillows P40 control line model in 1968. Now I am telling this story because when I finished my wife and I went out to fly it the field at the back of the farm. Donna was 7 months pregnant at the time. Since the field was rough I had her run with it to launch it. Very humourous to see a pregnant woman running with a model airplane.

My start in RC was in 1975 when I built my first Cannon RC kit. Taught myself to fly with a Cessna Skylark. Falcon 56 and many others followed. Designed my own mostly. Flying wings was pretty much all I flew.

Built an Ace Silver 7 Radio Control system in 1978. I was advised last year that the frequency I was using was illegal. So until I can find someone with legal Ace crystals I can't fly it any more.

Cut the horizontal tail off many models to make them into flying wings. The tailless Strike Master was a marvellous flying wing.

Largest plane I built was a 70 lb Mig 27 Target Drone.

Started flying electrics two years ago. Flying wings of course.

So 57 years building model airplanes. God what a hobby! It has literally shaped my life.

Name:	Chris at top of Log Sort Area with 100 inch Canan Eagle.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	2562   Click image for larger version

Name:	A pair of Northstar Amphibians.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slinger flying wing Paul holding.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	2564  
Old 10-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
I have another now. Put out by a gentleman in Michigan. Its full house, including nosewheel steering, AXI brushless, and 3S-2P lipolys, Hitec Computer radio and mini-servos.
I really liked the Jr Falcon! It would be a perfect plane to fly with electrics. Do you know if the "gentleman in Michigan" still sells them? If so, do you have any contact info.

Doug
Old 10-13-2005, 03:52 PM
aarcon
aarcon

Default owner

Originally Posted by stan mccarver View Post
I will admit to being sixty one. started with control line and moved to competition racing events. found an older gentleman who flew peanut scale and learned about having a good time and relaxing at the same time. aarcon, you have my admiration.
Thanks for the reply Stan. Modeling has been my 'thing' since I leared from my older brother starting in 1930 [before I went to school, public school that is] during my wroking years, I had various occupations. Many of them were working with models of all kinds. Spent some time at ASU as an instrument maker, which included making airfoil for wind tunnel testing.
My hangar today consists of mostly electrics, with only a few older gassies. Total planes is somewhere around 18, I don't try to keep track, just fly them when weather permits. Aarcon---Bob Constance, Alton,Mo.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:23 PM
FLYRCM
Old timer

I thought I have been in the hobby for a long time, but after reading some posts here only to find I am still young in the hobby.

Started builing plane models in 1970. Started scratch building aeroplane with paper (use the plan of a radio control model, cut all ribs & spars with hard paper and cover with soft paper). Tried R/C flying in 1973. Got myself a actuator, then attempted to build a 8 CH radio in 1974. Bought a radio with 7 wires servos. Then a 5 wires servo radio system, then a 3 wires servo, IC AM 6 Ch radio in 1975 (advance IC radio on the market at the time) and started radio control flying in 1976, 77. Radio control helicopter in 1978, no gyro, no mixing, no reverse switch, wood body with metal frame. Stick to motorized aeroplanes since then. Built r/c sail car, r/c motorbikes, gliders, R/C tank, R/C jeep. Fly electric R/C planes in the last few years (starting from around 2000) and electric helicopter and still loving it.

Name:	ScanImage02.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	2575  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:25 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Lets see if you can guess how long I have been doing this. Here are some pics of some of my older planes. I started with an Airtronics Q-Tee broke that into a million piecs and then went to a Marks Models Wanderer 72" with an .049 in the nose.

Name:	allstarbipe.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sig Kavalier.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2577   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewEraPattern.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2578  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:41 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Lets see if you can guess how long I have been doing this. Here are some pics of some of my older planes. I started with an Airtronics Q-Tee broke that into a million piecs and then went to a Marks Models Wanderer 72" with an .049 in the nose.
I have no clue, but I do remember owning some of those Top Flite white nylon propellers until one of them broke in flight when used with a Super Tigre "45". Also remember the Warren "open can" muffler you have on that bipe. They were anything but quiet!

Two of your pics have got to be from the mid to late '70s! So you must go back to that era.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Top Flite white nylon propellers
O yea baby!
white nylon propellers until one of them broke in flight
Yep you had to boil those suckers to keep the moisture in them or they became brittle.
"open can" muffler you have on that bipe. They were anything but quiet!
Correct again - notice the other plane with the open exhaust - yes I flew it that way! Most of us did..... .15 Enya in that one BTW.

You are exactly correct on date 1978(ish).

Anyone know the names of the planes?

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 05:20 PM
qban_flyer

Red face

O yea baby!

Yep you had to boil those suckers to keep the moisture in them or they became brittle.
Correct again - notice the other plane with the open exhaust - yes I flew it that way! Most of us did..... .15 Enya in that one BTW.

You are exactly correct on date 1978(ish).

Anyone know the names of the planes?

Mike
The bipe reminds me of the Andrews Aeromaster, but I'm not quite sure since you are using an Enya .15 on it. The Aeromaster used a .60!

Old 10-13-2005, 05:24 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yep it looks a lot like it, but no that was not it. It is the toughest of the group. The middle one should be super easy. The last one not too tough either......

Hint - ACE was the manufacturer on the bipe....Sig on the middle and Airtronics on the last. I actually scratch built it from RCM plans however.

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb Jr. Falcon plans available, FREE

Originally Posted by Unbalanced prop View Post
I really liked the Jr Falcon! It would be a perfect plane to fly with electrics. Do you know if the "gentleman in Michigan" still sells them? If so, do you have any contact info.

Doug
Say unbalanceprop,

PDF format plans for the Jr. Falcon are downloadable from Fritzke's site for free. Building from scratch is a bit more work than building a kit, but you have the satisfaction of having put together the whole thing yourself.

He also has the plans to Owen Kampen's PACER. Both models are dying to be "electrocuted".

L8R

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/jrfalcongrock.pdf

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Old 10-13-2005, 05:36 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Yep it looks a lot like it, but no that was not it. It is the toughest of the group. The middle one should be super easy. The last one not too tough either......

Hint - ACE was the manufacturer on the bipe....Sig on the middle and Airtronics on the last. I actually scratch built it from RCM plans however.

Mike
YUP! I remember the little thing now with its two foam wings. I believe it was designed to be flown with a smaller engine than a .15, though it was a bear to keep airborne if using a Cox .09. For the life of me I can't remember its name, though I know it's from the Ace High Glider era.

The SIG model is from the original Kadet time with an ABS cowling and it was intended as their answer to Goldberg's Falcon "56". I still have one of the original Kadets in its box as well as an Ace High.

Been thinking of "electrocuting" them both. The Ace High should do nicely with an outrunner as should the SIG Kadet.

L8R

Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

PDF format plans for the Jr. Falcon are downloadable from Fritzke's site for free. Building from scratch is a bit more work than building a kit, but you have the satisfaction of having put together the whole thing yourself.
Fantastic - the Jr. Falcon is a great plane.....I have downloaded that for later use...

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 05:49 PM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

The bipe looks more like the Ace All-Star bipe. 09 to 15. Beautiful flyer on a 15, never heard of anybody who put anything bigger on one having any success. In fact, I got asked about my engine choice on mine by two different people who used 19 and larger, and all they got were torque rolls and splats on take-off. Loved their faces when I told them I had drilled the mounts to fit both an HP 15 and a Fox BB15, and went with the HP because it turned more than 2000 rpm less than the Fox on an 8-4. From what they told me about theirs, I made the right choice.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yep 50+ years it is the All Star Bipe..... Flew great on the .15 Enya. My Fox .15 never ran right for me. It was a frutrating motor. My Fox .40 was OK but the K&B I liked better. I had an HP .25 that was a monstor however!

ACE=All Star Bipe
Sig=Kavalier
Airtronics=ERA pattern plane

The All Star bipe flew OK, but had zero ground handling. The Sig Kavalier had many hundreds of flights on it with the trusty old K&B .40 engine.

The ERA pattern plane had a very short life, but it was fun while it lasted!

Mike
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01 PM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I fitted my All Star with a steerable tail wheel. As long as I advanced the throttle gently, I had almost no trouble in grass.
Mine met an unfortunate end after about 5 years. I was putting on a low level demo for our annual when our announcer called out "Don't Crash", so of course I immediately dumb thumbed, and the plane was reduced to toothpicks.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:05 PM
qban_flyer

Yep 50+ years it is the All Star Bipe..... Flew great on the .15 Enya. My Fox .15 never ran right for me. It was a frutrating motor. My Fox .40 was OK but the K&B I liked better. I had an HP .25 that was a monstor however!

ACE=All Star Bipe
Sig=Kavalier
Airtronics=ERA pattern plane

The All Star bipe flew OK, but had zero ground handling. The Sig Kavalier had many hundreds of flights on it with the trusty old K&B .40 engine.

The ERA pattern plane had a very short life, but it was fun while it lasted!

Mike
Hi Mike,

The "All Star", now I remember it well. I had one of them in kit form that was never assembled and sold on eBay in '98 as well as a few Berkeley kits I had. I also had an Ace Dick's Dream that would not fly on the recommended .049 engine. I went to an OS .10 which could get it going but it did not fly the way I expected to. The fact that I saw the All Star ground loop and be so uncontrolable on the tarmac at DC-RC made me decide against building it.

The Kavalier was a great flying machine, almost Flacon "56" like. I had a New Era MKII that was a bit nicer than the original, though it was a handsfull still.

It's incredible the things we put up with in those days, but we stuck it out and are still flying.

Quick Reply: how long have you been flying RC.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16936 seconds with 26 queries