how long have you been flying RC. - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

how long have you been flying RC.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:38 AM
DickCorby

My Jr Falcon Specifications (built from a J. Zare short kit)

Weight 16 oz.
Thrust 9 oz.
Motor AXI 2208/26
Jeti 8 Amp ESC
Graupner CAM 6/3 Folding prop
Current draw 6 AMPS
Battery 3S-1P 1500 MAH Duralite 11.1 Volts
Watts/Lb 66
Built with ailerons and minimal Dihedral. Hitec HS 55 servo's throught. 2 for Ailerons, 1 for Elevator and 1 for rudder. Added steerable nosewheel attached to Rudder ( what else?)

Built September 2004. The kit went together like a dream. Plans amd Laser cut parts were perfect. Plane has been flown hundreds of flights. It gets great comments everywhere I fly it.

Last edited by DickCorby; 11-16-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:02 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
My Jr Falcon Specifications (built from a J. Zare short kit)

Weight 16 oz.
Thrust 9 oz.
Motor AXI 2208/26
Jeti 8 Amp ESC
Graupner CAM 6/3 Folding prop
Current draw 6 AMPS
Battery 3S-1P 1500 MAH Duralite 11.1 Volts
Watts/Lb 66
Built with ailerons and minimal Dihedral. Hitec HS 55 servo's throught. 2 for Ailerons, 1 for Elevator and 1 for rudder. Added steerable nosewheel attached to Rudder ( what else?)

Built September 2004. The kit went together like a dream. Plans amd Laser cut parts were perfect. Plane has been flown hundreds of flights. It gets great comments everywhere I fly it.
That's a mighty fine looking Jr. Falcon there. I'll be ordering both the Jr. Falcon and the Jr. Skylark and build them as the originals were. I may go twin with the Jr. Skylark with two 280s direct drive. Perhaps I'll order some of the other old timers he has available as well. There's nothing like being able to fly a fine looking model in confined spaces.

I'll be going brushless outrunner also. Oh! Goodness, so many planes, so little time!

Old 10-14-2005, 07:07 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Unbalanced prop View Post
I got an answer from Jim also. As qban said looks like great prices. Not sure what all is included in the jr Falcon kit, but I think I am going to find out.

Doug
I didn't ask him what a short kit was comprised of. At any rate, I know I could not buy the wood for what he charges for his laser cut parts, much less cut them with laser precision.

As Doug said, we'll sure find out soon enough!

L8R

Old 10-14-2005, 07:29 AM
DickCorby

I flew the Jr. Falcon with a Speed 400 at first, but it was rather dissapointing. As soon as I changed to the AXI, it became my favorite small plane. Word to the wise, save your money and invest in the AXI to begin with. You'll be glad you did.

Same with the Skylark, I'll bet with the dual AXI's it will be s fine performer.

As to the kits, you'll only have to provide the sticks and sheeting. all the parts that are difficult to cut perfectly are laser cut for perfect fit.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:47 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

I flew the Jr. Falcon with a Speed 400 at first, but it was rather dissapointing. As soon as I changed to the AXI, it became my favorite small plane. Word to the wise, save your money and invest in the AXI to begin with. You'll be glad you did.

Same with the Skylark, I'll bet with the dual AXI's it will be s fine performer.

As to the kits, you'll only have to provide the sticks and sheeting. all the parts that are difficult to cut perfectly are laser cut for perfect fit.
I thought the Speed 400 driving a 6X3 direct drive propeller would not be enough to pull that model around properly. It barely flew my Funky chicken until I switched to Li-Pos.

Love it! Glad to find out that I'll be getting the critical cut parts from him. I'd rather choose and buy the balsa sheeting myself if it doesn't come with the short kits.

What did you use for covering on yours?

Old 10-14-2005, 08:06 AM
DickCorby

Covered in good old Super Monocote. And used the same monocote for hinging. Color chosen by my great grandaughter.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Covered in good old Super Monocote. And used the same monocote for hinging. Color chosen by my great grandaughter.
I've been using MonoKote hinges in my small models as far back as the mid '70s. Though I feel like today's MonoKote is not quite the same as that one of old. It wrinkles (stretches) too easily and one has to keep re-ironing it in order to get wrinkles out.

My Berkeley Astro Hog was stripped down to the bare wood in 1970. It was originally covered with silk and dope, ugly orange and blue colors, EEEK! It was re-covered after a good sanding down in white Super MonoKote with a metallic blue sunburst pattern cut from a MonoKote roll. It hasn't wrinkled in 34 years, though it appears a bit brittle in places. That's the reason I am convinced that changes were made to MonoKote during the past few years. It feels heavier than the original stuff.

My original Sr. Falcon is still covered the old way, silk and dope.

Thanks for the scoop and all the info you have provided on your Jr. Falcon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	astro01b.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2611   Click image for larger version

Name:	astro02b.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2612  

Last edited by qban_flyer; 10-14-2005 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Photo change

Old 10-14-2005, 09:08 AM
DickCorby

I agree that it seems different, and constant re-ironing is something of a pain.

I have found that the Transparent colors are a bit lighter overall, and my 10 year Viking (the plane in the left pane) has seldom needed re-ironing.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Well Dick...............Looking at your Jr Falcon brings back fond memories and a big smile to my face. You built a beautiful plane!! I have a Hacker outrunner just begging for a home and this looks like it. I might have to order the Jr Skylark also.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I've been using MonoKote hinges in my small models as far back as the mid '70s. Though I feel like today's MonoKote is not quite the same as that one of old. It wrinkles (stretches) too easily and one has to keep re-ironing it in order to get wrinkles out.
I agree with the new Monokote. I have been using Ultracote and Sig aerokote and like both of them better then the "new" Monokote. Both have different characteristics. IMHO the Ultrakote goes on the easiest and the Aerokote holds up better (less wrinkles). I am also going to try Solarfilm and see how it woeks out.

Doug
Old 10-14-2005, 08:51 PM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Unbalanced prop View Post
I agree with the new Monokote. I have been using Ultracote and Sig aerokote and like both of them better then the "new" Monokote. Both have different characteristics. IMHO the Ultrakote goes on the easiest and the Aerokote holds up better (less wrinkles). I am also going to try Solarfilm and see how it woeks out.

Doug
I have used the "old" Solarfilm. It required less heat than MonoKote to adhere to surfaces. I even applied it to to Ace foam wings without the foam being affected by the extremely low temperature used. It required even less heat to be shrunken over open wood frame spaces.

I have no clue as to how the "new" Solarfilm will fare when compared to the old one. I hope the haven't "improved" it as they did with MonoKote.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 PM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

The "New" MonoKote can't be as bad as the first stuff I bought. Saw a couple planes built with prototype sample batches when the AF was providing me with an 18 month all expense paid trip to Libya back in 1966. When I got back stateside, I bought a couple rolls for a couple projects I started. Miserable crap. Threw all but a souvenir piece out. Several months later, there was an article in the model press with an apology from Top Flite with a refund/replacement offer. Seems the vendor they originally used was able to produce the thickness and shrink qualities only in sample batches, but couldn't do it in production quantities. They were able to find a new vendor.
Anyway, on foam, I've had decent luck with Coverite's Black Baron and EconoCote. But if the plane survives more than about 4 years, the BB I've used seems to become brittle and cracks, even against a solid surface.
Been flying for a lot of years, but it seems no matter how much I learn, I seem to find out I know less than I thought I did before the learning.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:01 AM
DickCorby

Back in the 60's when Monocote first came out the guys in our club called it "crash in a bag" because it pretty much kept the poorly glued planes in one pile within the covering. Sure don't miss Ambroids and waiting all night for the stuff to dry, then break loose from vibration and weaken the plane after flying for awhile..
Old 10-15-2005, 12:42 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Yah, that Ambroid in my Veco Smoothie I built in 1968 should all be about ready to disintegrate any day now.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:52 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Back in the 60's when Monocote first came out the guys in our club called it "crash in a bag" because it pretty much kept the poorly glued planes in one pile within the covering. Sure don't miss Ambroids and waiting all night for the stuff to dry, then break loose from vibration and weaken the plane after flying for awhile..
My original Berkeley Astro Hog, pictured somewhere above was covered with Super MonoKote after removing the old doped silk from its airframe. Since this re-covery job was done in the early '70s it is probable that T/F may have had already taken care of the original MonoKote problems when I first started using it.

The Supe MonoKote I still have in rolls dating back to that era are lighter in weight and quite different in texture when compared to the stuff I have purchased in the past five or so years under the same brand name, so a change was effected in the interim. I can't vouch for the MonoKote from the '60s as in those days I was still using silk and dope.

Speaking of the '60s, my Berkeley Astro Hog is glued together with Ambroid. Still holding fast, though I don't miss Ambroid's smell.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:26 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I don't miss the smell of Ambroid, either. I have a tube in each of my field boxes (FF, CL, RC, and Rocket) and I have a couple tubes in my workshop. Been starting to use it again more often then CA.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:39 PM
jonnyjetprop

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I still have my Astros 05 FAI and 15 FAI in addition to several Sanyo 7 and 10 cell SCRC-1700 packs. Painfully expensive stuff in those days!
And not worth anything today. I counted 7 older astroflight motors in my shop. I'm thinking of pressing a couple into service using modern (lipo) batteries. I bought a set of wasp plans. I built three in the past. One day I might break them out I build a modern version.

John
Old 10-16-2005, 05:52 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
And not worth anything today. I counted 7 older astroflight motors in my shop. I'm thinking of pressing a couple into service using modern (lipo) batteries. I bought a set of wasp plans. I built three in the past. One day I might break them out I build a modern version.

John
I know, I know. The only way to get rid of that stuff is to either use them ourselves or give them away. I have a ton of money invested (wasted?) on Astros and Sanyon SCRCs. That experience was like buying a new car, once you sign on the dotted line the thing has lost 25% of its value even though it hasn't been driven yet.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:58 PM
DannyFlyer

I started flying glow in 2000 and i am 17 i stared at 12 years old

god it been 5 years only
Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DannyFlyer View Post
I started flying glow in 2000 and i am 17 i stared at 12 years old

god it been 5 years only
Say DannyFlyer,

In another 40 years (seems like a lifetime doesn't it?) you will still love this hobby as much if not more. I wonder what goodies we haven't dreamt of will be available to the R/Cer then?

Happy flying!

Old 10-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Ron

qban...John.....those old Astro motors are still surprisingly good I still used them ... no they are not quite as efficient as a brushless, but they are on hand, and they are almost indestructable...I have an old Geared sport 40 ( ten yrs.at least) that still is going on the original brushes...and yes I do fly fairly often.....

Been flying electric since waaaay before it was cool
Old 10-16-2005, 06:40 PM
DannyFlyer

yes it does but i love this hobby so it will be anoter 40 years of more and more fun in the sun all day long
Old 10-16-2005, 07:20 PM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ron View Post
qban...John.....those old Astro motors are still surprisingly good I still used them ... no they are not quite as efficient as a brushless, but they are on hand, and they are almost indestructable...I have an old Geared sport 40 ( ten yrs.at least) that still is going on the original brushes...and yes I do fly fairly often.....

Been flying electric since waaaay before it was cool
Hi Ron,

Don't know about John, but in my case I was referring to those Sanyo SCRC packs. Expensive, heavy and useless in these days of Li-Po packs.

Love my Astro motors, though.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Nothing that works is useless.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:10 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Nothing that works is useless.
That's true.

Those Sanyo SCRCs are still going on strong and are umbeatable, especially with the 15 FAI and larger Astro motors.

Quick Reply: how long have you been flying RC.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10078 seconds with 13 queries