how long have you been flying RC. - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

how long have you been flying RC.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 AM
ptb
ptb

I started in 1953, in south jersey, flying a berkley bootstraps and
other single channel airplanes. In and out of the hobby over the years.
Some of my pursuits were,hand launch gliders, free flight, u control,
power/ formula 1, 1/2 a's, slope, thermal, now electric gliders.
rc cars, boats both sail and gas, (wheed whacker) and nitro.
heli's, all nitro. I had a lot of fun !
Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Ron

those old black Sanyo 1700 SCRC cells were/are great...I have a couple packs that are still going ok after about ten years...also some old red TH 1400 cells that predate even the Sanyo cells. still work fine so they are not getting thrown out.....Don't get me wrong I have lithium packs also, but because they are " convenient" to use.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:06 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ron View Post
those old black Sanyo 1700 SCRC cells were/are great...I have a couple packs that are still going ok after about ten years...also some old red TH 1400 cells that predate even the Sanyo cells. still work fine so they are not getting thrown out.....Don't get me wrong I have lithium packs also, but because they are " convenient" to use.
Same here. I have a few of the good old red ones too. Amazing the power those things can still put out after all these years.

I still use all of my Sanyo NiCad packs, especially when flying my larger e-birds where the extra weight makes not much of a difference.

For the smaller fare I have been using Li-Pos for the past two plus years, could even be more like three.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:21 AM
phuffstatler

Let's see, started when i was kid, with a Cox Sopwith Camel, but didn't get into R/C until the mid 80's, when I went through 6(!) different planes, then waited until 1993, when I hooked up with a great club (HOTMAC Inc, in Waco, TX) and solo'ed within a month with a .60 size Perfection (stick type) and Max Blose teaching me... Been doin' it ever since... Actually built a couple of those planes I tried to start with later (Ace All-Star bipe, Hobby Shack Cessna 150) and got those to flying just fine.

Didn't start playing with electrics until the Kyosho T-33 came out, I think I was the only guy in the club to have one...

phil in georgetown
Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 AM
red_z06

My son's name is Justin Chi and he has been field flying for 4 months.

He was born on July 21, 2002.

His first field flying was in June of 2005 (at 2 and 11 months) and his first solo flying Tensor 4D in Sep 2005 (at 3 and 2 months).

He has been flying AFP flight sim since he was 1 1/2.

For those that are interested, please come to his info page and sign the psudo guestbook. Thanks

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428085

Video links provided by AeroFlyPro.com

2005-09-21 - AeroFlyPro Video
www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/3yrs.wmv

2005-09-30 - Tensor 4D Video
www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/Justin-Tensor4D-2005-09-30.wmv

2005-10-07 - AeroFlyPro Video 2
www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/Justin-AFPD-2005-10-09a.wmv
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Justin-Tensor4d-640x480.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762_small.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2776  

Last edited by red_z06; 10-18-2005 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 AM
shrike
L - 141

Thumbs up I think....about 42 years

My first R/C transmitter was a Controlaire Mule. I used escapments in a Lil Esquire. I still have the transmitter and my second Esquire. A Midwest kit... I think.

Boy was i jealous of the guys with reeds.

I did some control line flying before that. Even tried electric CL with batteries in the handle.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
qban_flyer

Red face

Originally Posted by shrike View Post
My first R/C transmitter was a Controlaire Mule. I used escapments in a Lil Esquire. I still have the transmitter and my second Esquire. A Midwest kit... I think.

Boy was i jealous of the guys with reeds.

I did some control line flying before that. Even tried electric CL with batteries in the handle.
YUP! I remember the Mule well. What "interesting" names manufacturers used to give their R/C wares in those days.

B/L ESCs sorta remind me of reed radios, they are "musical" in a peculiar way, just as reeds used to be.

BTW, I had the three versions of the Esquire. The Lil one, the bigger Esquire and the Trike geared one (landing gear, that is). Yes, they were made by Midwest. A great company, so was Sterling as well as Cleveland Models.

I loved the way the Lil Esquire flew, especially when it "flew" away never to be seen again. Darn, just when I had it trimmed perfectly the radio went south on me.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:46 AM
shockleywl

Cool Did you ask for years or decades?

I started R/C in The early sixties. My first receiver had an acorn vacuum tube, and took two 1.5 volt batteries, also a 45 volt battery. I like the GWS receivers much better.
I fly both wet and electric planes, but lately I find the wet ones just don't respond like the electrics. Wayne (Santa Fe, NM 7000 Alt)
Old 10-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Quite a while - well past the halfway point now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1944post.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2792   Click image for larger version

Name:	1940.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	2793  
Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
pyr0burn23

Default some history

I saw Justin Chi at the NEAT Fair last month, boy did he look cute looking way up at the sky with the trainer cable connecting him and his dad :-D. (BTW Mr, I'm the kid who kept channel 57 busy all the time!)

I've been flying airplanes since March 2005, when I got my first Tuff-E from NSP. Before that, I bought a USB cable to hook my RD6000 up to my computer for FMS use. Fourty hours later, I attempted flying! Luckily FMS teaches your brain correction over anything else, and that is what kept me in the air. I've been flying every day since then, and now I fly my NSP Blade around my small, raised ranch style house just because I can. Practice certainly does make perfect! or close...

In seven months, I've been through: (all through NSP)
1 Reach Whirlwind
1 Microbat
2 Bead's
2 Tuff-E's
1 Ultimate Bipe (foamy)
3 Mini Funtana's!!!
1 Mini Edge

I also busted a Hacker A30-28s, and a Medusa Research 028-056-2800 due to dumb thumbs. YIKES!!!

There is a video on RC groups of the Neat Fair, I'm the red/black samba about 2 mins into it.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:33 PM
futura

I had a Royal 6 ch and a Sig Caddet MkII in '77. Got a Schluter Heli Baby in '79 with a cirrus 7ch.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Darrell B.
Mustang Fan..............

I started flying RC in 1975. I purchased a used trainer with a Royal Blue Max radio. I grew up close to Joplin MO and had help from several flyers there. Thanks guys for introducing me to a great and fantastic hobby!

Darrell
Old 10-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Phillip Hatch

Wow!!! You have been modeling 2 years longer than I have! I pretty much followed the same sequence. Isn't life grand!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:34 PM
eflight-ray

First model was around 1954/55, but my first R/C was in 1959/60, a home built single channel outfit, the rx used a valve, (XFY34 if I remember right), plus a 2 transistor amp.
The tx was a multi valve outfit and needed a 120v battery, and control was pulse proportional to a Mighty Midget electric motor, (servo), with pushrod to the rudder, biased one way with a rubber band and pulsed on, powered, the other way.
Still remember the way those tails used to wag from side to side. In those days trimming a model to fly was a lot more than just pushing the tx trims about.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:49 PM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Ah! yes, the days of home built tube type (valve) equipment with enough battery capacity to give one a healthy shock. Glad to have lived through it for the experience, and glad we don't have to do that anymore.
Has anyone out there gone through the concept of installing modern proportional transmitter guts into an older reed transmitter and setting up fixed resistors in place of the pots to get the old reed style "Bang-bang" operation? The VR/CS newsletter had something about the concept, including how-tos, a few years ago.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:46 AM
GLBiggles

I'm not sure about getting reed simulation but there is a site where a guy shows how to fit modern RF modules to 60's propo sets. I'll try to find it.
I recently obtained an unused 10 channel reed set, it had been in storage for 30 plus years. I also have about a dozen relayless reed servos, not to mention a couple of OS single channel sets with OS and other servos. One Day I'll get them set up to show how we suffered.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:05 AM
DickCorby

The guy that taught me to fly said, and I still use the idea today on my models.

"Build and trim a plane to fly all by itself, then use the Radio to modify it's flight path on occasion"

It has always worked for me, and probably for most of the oldtimers in this hobby. These new computer radios are great, but the guys use them to cheat on building a good model to some extent. It really gripes me when I have to use subtrim. I try to make it so that all the trims are at zero and the plane flies straight and true.

But thats me, Guess I'm somewhat anal retentave when it comes to modeling.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:33 AM
qban_flyer

Cool

Originally Posted by GLBiggles View Post
I'm not sure about getting reed simulation but there is a site where a guy shows how to fit modern RF modules to 60's propo sets. I'll try to find it.
I recently obtained an unused 10 channel reed set, it had been in storage for 30 plus years. I also have about a dozen relayless reed servos, not to mention a couple of OS single channel sets with OS and other servos. One Day I'll get them set up to show how we suffered.
Every time I get one my brushless ESCs on to either set it up or to arm it, I am reminded of the "music" emanating from reed radios we used so long ago.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Ron

YUP....build it to fly...then you can twiddle the sticks in order to crash it :-)... I don't use " sub trim " either....build it straight and true, and it's gonna fly right.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:00 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
The guy that taught me to fly said, and I still use the idea today on my models.

"Build and trim a plane to fly all by itself, then use the Radio to modify it's flight path on occasion"

It has always worked for me, and probably for most of the oldtimers in this hobby. These new computer radios are great, but the guys use them to cheat on building a good model to some extent. It really gripes me when I have to use subtrim. I try to make it so that all the trims are at zero and the plane flies straight and true.

But thats me, Guess I'm somewhat anal retentave when it comes to modeling.
Absolutely true.

Then there are the "mixes". Now planes will do maneuvers we used to do ourselves by the seat of our pants.

Hit a switch momentarily and the plane will snap roll, flip a slider and the same plane will snap in the opposite direction. Not satisfied yet? Use another slider switch to choose the two above given examples to do reverse snaps!

Have we forgotten (or become so lazy to do it ourselves) that up elevator, left aileron and left rudder will snap roll our models to the left and that reversing aileron and rudder will have the opposite effect on the snap direction?

Old 10-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Phillip Hatch

My first bui;ding attempt started in 1940 but my first successful rubberband powered flight wasn't untill 1943. We used carboard printed parts and pine sringers in place of balsa. 1946 found me into freeflight and U-Control and freeflight via Ignition. Then came the glo=plug which salvaged my modeling carrer! The mid sixties found me in RC via a Babcock tube rx and a TX I've forgotten about. We defined RC as ff with moments of interupted RC! Then came Reeds and later a Kraft 4ch Propo. We had problems but considered them challanges and did what was necessary to solve them. Life was and still is grand if slower! Phil
Old 10-20-2005, 11:54 AM
GLBiggles

Here is the link to site with retro radio upgrades.
www.mindspring.com/~rellis2/rcpattrn/retro.htm

I can remember when the radios pictured were current models.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by red_z06 View Post
My son's name is Justin Chi and he has been field flying for 4 months.

He was born on July 21, 2002.

His first field flying was in June of 2005 (at 2 and 11 months) and his first solo flying Tensor 4D in Sep 2005 (at 3 and 2 months).

He has been flying AFP flight sim since he was 1 1/2.

For those that are interested, please come to his info page and sign the psudo guestbook. Thanks

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428085

Video links provided by AeroFlyPro.com

2005-09-21 - AeroFlyPro Video
www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/3yrs.wmv

2005-09-30 - Tensor 4D Video
www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/Justin-Tensor4D-2005-09-30.wmv

2005-10-07 - AeroFlyPro Video 2
www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/Justin-AFPD-2005-10-09a.wmv

WOW,You should be a very proud father, Thats the youngest I have ever heard of flying,No video games or tv for him I guess just flight sim. Thats great and that flight sim is so real looking. He should be able to make it though life as a RC pilot going to allt he big events in a few years we will see him at TOC HUH. . Keep him flying there. Nice videos .
Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

I would like to thank each and every one of you for keeping this topic going, I never thought I would get so much feed back from everyone it is great I have really enjoyed reading each of your story's.
Keep them coming.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:19 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
I would like to thank each and every one of you for keeping this topic going, I never thought I would get so much feed back from everyone it is great I have really enjoyed reading each of your story's.
Keep them coming.
HE, HE, HE. As far as I am concerned it is one of the most popular ones on Watt Flyer. It will probably still be alive years down the road.

I'd be willing to bet you had no idea as to what you were creating when you first started this thread. Life is great!

Quick Reply: how long have you been flying RC.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16383 seconds with 14 queries