HL Tiger Moth Build Help - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

HL Tiger Moth Build Help

Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 AM
  #1  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default HL Tiger Moth Build Help

I'm starting this thread in hopes that I can get step by step help building a NIB 50" Tiger Moth Bipe from Hobby Lobby.

The instructions are a bit vague on details and i have only built a few foam planes and just finishing my first balsa. As i opened the box and laid all the parts out on the table, i realized I’ve never even seen some of these kinds of parts. For example the pull wires for the rudder/elev. I've never even worked with servo's any larger than 9g and the holes for these look big, but i guess this is the normal size.

I've browsed around other threads already but didn't get much info other than stock setup leaves it tail heavy.

I guess i can start by asking, what motor should i get from "Heads up RC" that’s comparable to the AXI 2820/10 that’s recommend. What esc/bec should i get, what servos... (none of this stuff is in the manual btw... in fact, i believe this was originally a gas plane but they included the electric conversion mount with the kit.

Any help would be much appreciated… as soon as I get the correct electronics… I’m gonna start this build… In fact, if anyone wants to come over to my house and help me, i'll cook a really nice dinner... lol
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM
  #2  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default pic's

Here's a couple of photo's (from other builds) of what its supposed to look like when it's done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7972.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	149812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46276.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	149813  
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 AM
  #3  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

Ok, I have got the perfect answer for you




Sell the Kit on EBay and buy a ARF LOL

Ok Just kidding you will need to buy a building Board that has cork on it, and some T pins, make sure the board its flat, i have seen some that are warped from the hobby shops, check it out good, lat the plans on the board, cover them with wax paper or plastic wrap, tape it on the edges, build everything nice a level and square, take your time, use CA and Kicker, thin and med. after the kit is done and covered, weigh it, then you will know then what power system to buy from the weight of the plane, hope that helps, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 AM
  #4  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

If I'm not mistaken Chellie that IS an ARF.
firemanbill is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
  #5  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

If you would like to buy me a 2 way flight ticket to Hawaii, set me up for a week, make me breakfast, lunch and dinner, buy me all the Miller Lite i can drink, i will be more than happy to help you with your build Take care and have fun, Chellie


CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 AM
  #6  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

Originally Posted by ;817131
I'm starting this thread in hopes that I can get step by step help building a NIB 50" Tiger Moth Bipe from Hobby Lobby.

The instructions are a bit vague on details and i have only built a few foam planes and just finishing my first balsa. As i opened the box and laid all the parts out on the table, i realized I’ve never even seen some of these kinds of parts. For example the pull wires for the rudder/elev. I've never even worked with servo's any larger than 9g and the holes for these look big, but i guess this is the normal size.

I've browsed around other threads already but didn't get much info other than stock setup leaves it tail heavy.

I guess i can start by asking, what motor should i get from "Heads up RC" that’s comparable to the AXI 2820/10 that’s recommend. What esc/bec should i get, what servos... (none of this stuff is in the manual btw... in fact, i believe this was originally a gas plane but they included the electric conversion mount with the kit.

Any help would be much appreciated… as soon as I get the correct electronics… I’m gonna start this build… In fact, if anyone wants to come over to my house and help me, i'll cook a really nice dinner... lol
Is this a Kit or ARF jap71173
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 AM
  #7  
spad
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 643
Default

Hobby Lobby sold ONLY a 50 inch ARF.
spad is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 AM
  #8  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Is this a Kit or ARF jap71173
Yes, Sorry I should have mentioned.. it is in fact an ARF.

It just looks (and feels) a lot more difficult to complete than any other ARF i have done before... and i have done at least 8 but all foam.

Again, my main concern here is that i have never built anything other than small park flyers (under 2lbs) up till now, This plane will be around 4lbs when it's done, so i don't want to make any mistakes.

I probably wouldn't need help if the instructions were more novice, but they are more for someone who has done this before and is familiar with part terminology.
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 AM
  #9  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

Just trust your instincts and build. It's hard to guide you without knowing what you need exactly. If you have any specific questions ask away. I built the Green Models 50" Curtiss Jenny for my son and they are kind of similar so I can lend a hand where needed.

Don't hesitate to ask.
firemanbill is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 AM
  #10  
mclarkson
Super Contributor
 
mclarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,958
Default

When in doubt about motors (or other parts) from HeadsUp, just send Jeff an email and ask him. I do it all the time and then generally just order whatever he recommends.
mclarkson is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 AM
  #11  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
If you would like to buy me a 2 way flight ticket to Hawaii, set me up for a week, make me breakfast, lunch and dinner, buy me all the Miller Lite i can drink, i will be more than happy to help you with your build Take care and have fun, Chellie


Hey Chellie, I'll take care of everything you requested except the 2 way flight... i mean c'mon... can't you build your own plane to fly here.... lol
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 AM
  #12  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default

Ok, so heres a picture of the actual ARF kit on my kitchen table...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0310.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	149853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0318.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	149854  
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 AM
  #13  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default

And here's what i'm thinking for the electronics...

Motor: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Sport/Detail
ESC: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Amp-ESC/Detail
Servos: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...g-Hitec/Detail

Any objections ???
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 AM
  #14  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
Perfect that motor and ESC will move it right along good servos too.

on the Stabilizer, you may have to cut off the monokote where it glues onto the fuselage and the rudder so it will be wood to wood, cut it about 1/6" to 1/8" less than the width of the area that it glues onto, use levels to keep every thing straight, use 15 min epoxy for a good strong bond, use some blue masking tape to cover the area that you dont want the epoxy to attach to on the stabilizer and fuselage to keep things clean, hope that helps, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM
  #15  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

If you have a building board, Draw a straight line on it with a marker, thats your referance point for the fuselage, to help to keep it straight, mark the fuselage with a marker on the bottom edge center to align with the line that you drew, a cheap door from a hardware store makes a great building table for larger planes, take care and have fun, Chellie

also, use 15 and 30 min epoxy for the build, the 30 min epoxy will give you time to get the parts nice and straight and level, and it will be very very strong. use the 30 min epoxy on areas that need more time to align.
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
  #16  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default

I know these instructions may seem easy to some of you... but this is NOT newb language!

I'm also a bit concerned because the addendum to the instructions they included looks like a different plane (red).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0312.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	149858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0313.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	149860  
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM
  #17  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
I know these instructions may seem easy to some of you... but this is NOT newb language!

I'm also a bit concerned because the addendum to the instructions they included looks like a different plane (red).
Just take it one step at a time, dont let everything over whelm you, we all were there too and had to figure it out and sometimes the instructions have a lot to be desired
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
  #18  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
I know these instructions may seem easy to some of you... but this is NOT newb language!

I'm also a bit concerned because the addendum to the instructions they included looks like a different plane (red).
show the instructions, the bag with the parts ( C02 ) and the fuselage and the assy pic, as per instructions and we can help you out, we need to see what they are calling the parts, sometimes the chinese call a part by a different name than what we do, so we need to see pics of the parts.
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 AM
  #19  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
show the instructions, the bag with the parts ( C02 ) and the fuselage and the assy pic, as per instructions and we can help you out, we need to see what they are calling the parts, sometimes the chinese call a part by a different name than what we do, so we need to see pics of the parts.
Thats one of the problems... neither the bags or the parts in the bags are marked. But i think you're right Chellie, i'm letting myself get overwhelmed, and i just need to trust my common sense more than the instructions on this one.

I guess i should really get ALL the parts i need first too, since it seems like the first few steps have to do with attaching the servo cords and i don't have the servos yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0319.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	149862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0320.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	149863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0314.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	149864  
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 AM
  #20  
wolfewinde
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 537
Default

Heya Jap,

I just finished building this one myself. In some ways it is more difficult to build than your average ARF, and in other ways it is easier.

Just had the Maiden flight this morning, which went pretty well - defined as I brought it home in one piece - in spite a few surprises.

First surprise was that she lifted off a bit tail heavy - never a good thing - but I managed to get her up high and get that trimmed out. Second surprise was that she was way faster than I though she would be. And third surprise was that she was more responsive than I was expecting even with all the rates set at 65%.

Caution - You said something about being a newb - this is NOT a newb airplane - more of an intermediate plane I think.

As far as your set up goes - you can use HiTec HS-81's for aileron servos. Standard size won't fit.

Building tips ....

I am using 3300 mah 4s lipos. They fit nicely into the battery compartment - except for 1 thing - you cannot get them into the battery compartment from the inside. I ended up dremelling out the front of the battery compartment and dremelling out a hole in the front of the cowl so I can put them in from the front - through the cowl.
I used some foam wedges to hold them in place with a "friction fit".

I started to build mine about 6 years ago - then got out of the hobby for a few years and just came back to it about a month ago. Somewhere along the line I lost the directions, so I can't comment on the directions for you. I finished mine just using pictures as a guide.

Essentially, I would say build the fuse, tail, rudder and landing gear assembly first. Get the rudder and aileron pull-pull wires attached, but don't tighten them up until you have an ESC, receiver and battery attached so you can be sure your servos are centered when you tighten the wires.

Once that is done, you can start adding the carbane struts and put the carbane on. I would replace all of the nuts and bolts in the kit with similarly sized bolts with lock nuts. Look closely at the how the wing wires will be added and make sure you put those little angled aluminim pieces on in the right places when start adding strut bolts.

Once I had the fuse all set, I put on the bottom wing and attached the aileron servo wires to the reciever and made sure everything worked. I did NOT glue that wing together, although some do in the reading I have done. I did not because in the event of a crash, I want as much "give" as possible in the build.

Then I put on the top wing - no glueing there either - and then put in the wing struts. Those struts are NOT all the same. There is a slight difference in where the holes are drilled in the 2 for the front struts anchors and the 2 for the rear strut anchors. Be sure you get them in the right place before you start bolting them in.

The last thing I did was install the wing wires. That was actually easier than I thought it was going to be.

While you are waiting for electronics you could go ahead and attach all of the control horns, and the main landing gear.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
  #21  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Build Review

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Heya Jap,

I just finished building this one myself. In some ways it is more difficult to build than your average ARF, and in other ways it is easier.

Just had the Maiden flight this morning, which went pretty well - defined as I brought it home in one piece - in spite a few surprises.

First surprise was that she lifted off a bit tail heavy - never a good thing - but I managed to get her up high and get that trimmed out. Second surprise was that she was way faster than I though she would be. And third surprise was that she was more responsive than I was expecting even with all the rates set at 65%.

Caution - You said something about being a newb - this is NOT a newb airplane - more of an intermediate plane I think.

As far as your set up goes - you can use HiTec HS-81's for aileron servos. Standard size won't fit.

Building tips ....

I am using 3300 mah 4s lipos. They fit nicely into the battery compartment - except for 1 thing - you cannot get them into the battery compartment from the inside. I ended up dremelling out the front of the battery compartment and dremelling out a hole in the front of the cowl so I can put them in from the front - through the cowl.
I used some foam wedges to hold them in place with a "friction fit".

I started to build mine about 6 years ago - then got out of the hobby for a few years and just came back to it about a month ago. Somewhere along the line I lost the directions, so I can't comment on the directions for you. I finished mine just using pictures as a guide.

Essentially, I would say build the fuse, tail, rudder and landing gear assembly first. Get the rudder and aileron pull-pull wires attached, but don't tighten them up until you have an ESC, receiver and battery attached so you can be sure your servos are centered when you tighten the wires.

Once that is done, you can start adding the carbane struts and put the carbane on. I would replace all of the nuts and bolts in the kit with similarly sized bolts with lock nuts. Look closely at the how the wing wires will be added and make sure you put those little angled aluminim pieces on in the right places when start adding strut bolts.

Once I had the fuse all set, I put on the bottom wing and attached the aileron servo wires to the reciever and made sure everything worked. I did NOT glue that wing together, although some do in the reading I have done. I did not because in the event of a crash, I want as much "give" as possible in the build.

Then I put on the top wing - no glueing there either - and then put in the wing struts. Those struts are NOT all the same. There is a slight difference in where the holes are drilled in the 2 for the front struts anchors and the 2 for the rear strut anchors. Be sure you get them in the right place before you start bolting them in.

The last thing I did was install the wing wires. That was actually easier than I thought it was going to be.

While you are waiting for electronics you could go ahead and attach all of the control horns, and the main landing gear.

Wolfe
Hi Wolfe,

I do in fact consider myself a newb builder... but an intermediate pilot. I know it always sounds arrogant to say that, but i haven’t crashed a plane in at least 8 months of flying dozens of different planes, even ones i never flew before and mostly in the wind. Don't get me wrong, i know it happens to the best pilots and it will probably happen to me now that i said it hasn't...lol But I’m very confident i can fly it so long as i get the build correct, that includes the correct CG, motor, prop, etc.

I too have heard about this plane being tail heavy out of the box so i hope to anticipate for that problem. The one that concerns me is the battery compartment... so I’m very glad you brought that up... and i will make sure to replicate your method.

Something else that worries me is that our airfield doesn’t have an airstrip, so most if not all of my planes are belly Landers and don't have wheels... i don't I want to try and belly land this nice balsa in the grass! So I know I’ll be upsizing the wheels.
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 PM
  #22  
wolfewinde
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 537
Default

I flew the maiden flight at a grass field with the stock wheels and did not have a problem, but I think I am going to get bigger wheels too, just to be safe.

Glad to hear you have some flight experience - you should be fine this airplane then

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline  
Old 06-26-2011, 03:07 AM
  #23  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default Got Parts!

OK, i got my parts.... thanks to Jeff at Heads up RC

So i started building and already ran into my first confusion...

As i installed all three servos as the picture shows in the instruction manual, i realized i don't actually need one of them since i won't need a throttle servo for electric flight. So i pulled it out.

As you can see from the picture in the manual however, the rudder intermediate control arm has the holes on the opposite side... so far i don't see this making a difference in the actual function (someone please tell me if I'm wrong). So i ledft the servo on that side of course.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0338.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	150113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0337.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	150114  
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-26-2011, 04:52 AM
  #24  
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com
Thread Starter
 
jap71173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 382
Default Help

Can someone tell me what size servos are in the instruction photo???

The standard servos are too big... and the 9g servos are too small... are there any other sizes??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0340.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	150116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0341.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	150117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0339.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	150118  
jap71173 is offline  
Old 06-26-2011, 05:03 AM
  #25  
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher
 
CrimzonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NW Oklahoma
Posts: 1,308
Default

I've had good luck with 12g, 13g, and 17g. In my short experience, I like the 17g for a nose gear and rudder setup, just a little more umph. But in your photo it does kinda look like a standard servo size, but pics are deceiving sometimes!! IMHO I would go by dimensions of the servo mounting plate that you have and try to match it purely by physical size. I just found some 20g servos too, I am sure they have all sizes and ratings.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?...rvos&FORM=HURE

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-SERVOS/Categories

have a good one
cr
CrimzonRider is offline  

Quick Reply: HL Tiger Moth Build Help


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11597 seconds with 27 queries