#35 Model Airplane Building Clinic >> DJAerotech Chrysalis 2m Electric Sailplane - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

#35 Model Airplane Building Clinic >> DJAerotech Chrysalis 2m Electric Sailplane

Old 11-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

Steve, I double-checked with Joe. No, we have not been having other reports about length problems with joiners.

They are supposed to be 4 1/16" long, and Joe generally makes them up a few thousandths over that.

It's hard to see in your photos just how much engagement there is at both ends. However, there should be enough that if the joiner migrates all the way to the edge of the notch in the retaining gusset on one end, the other end is still completely engaged with the ply rib doubler. If the joiner ever does come unplugged from the doubler, it is no longer providing strength to the joint!

Still not sure how yours ended up this way, maybe something to do with how you fitted the J, K1, K2 and L ribs with the 1/8" lite ply shear webs. However, it's water over the dam at this point.

The easiest fix is to make you some special oversize joiners. Please e-mail me your mailing address, and also measure the length of the joiner needed to get all the way to the notch in the retaining gusset on both ends (in other words, the longest joiner that will still let the two wing panels come together). We will make up a special set for you that are a little too long, then you can sand those down so you end up with a total gap of about 1/32", just to allow for temperature and humidity changes.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

Steve, did your kit have the standard shear webs for the J-K1 and K2-L locations in addition to the replacement ones from the 3-piece wing option package? The lengths of the ones in the 3-piece option package are shortened to compensate for the thickness of the ply doublers on the ribs. If you used the longer one-piece wing J-K1 and K2-L shear webs, it would account for your joiner rods not being long enough to reach.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Don,
I think you found the problem. I think I used the shorter former on the outer wing but I know I used the original longer one on the center section. I thought the one included in the wing kit was short because the rib ended up inside the lines on the plans at the front. I sanded down the original some until the rib seemed straight. So now I am wondering if that rib is now crooked. I'll take some careful measurements tomorrow.

Something is also telling me that I mixed up that special piece on the outboard wing. Do the outboard wings work OK with some additional sweep? We may find out. I'll double check that as well.

Anyway, this is my fault and not yours. I can pick up some 3/16 carbon tube and cut my own.

Steve
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

It's not 3/16". If I recall, it's .180 outside diameter. Still probably easiest for us to make some special ones for you. The other thing you may need to deal with is the slight increase in span. Not an issue for sport flying, but if you fly in a major contest (such as the NATs) where they check wingspan, you might need to trim a tiny bit off the tips.

The sweep should not be a major issue. There will be some effects, but very subtle, to the point you probably won't notice them. Just make sure both wings are the same.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
k8zfj
randy

i had one set about 1/8" short too, but attributed it to crappy building skills.
resolved issue by using some scrap lite ply to match rib and drilling new joiner holes

sry for not replying sooner
Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Yep crappy building skills...

I have figured out that rib J is slightly out of place. So I extended the spacing between J and K1 to try and keep everything straight. At the time I was not sure why I needed to do this, but now I know. The correct parts were used on the outer wing and that looks good.

I'll take a quick run to the hobby store later today to see if they have a suitable replacement tube. I have some 5mm tube, but that's too big.

I have seen some .188 in and 4.5 mm tubes online, so those sizes exist... I'll just take the tube from the kit and see what they have.

Steve
Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

Or just e-mail your address to me through our website (NOT through this forum) and we will make you some that fit.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Or just e-mail your address to me through our website (NOT through this forum) and we will make you some that fit.
Don, you are just too accommodating... I did find some .188 carbon tubes. These ended up being a little too wide. I had to drill out the holes on the wing with a 3/16 bit and then they are still a little too tight. I sanded the rods themselves and now the are snug but not too tight.

Also see how much longer I had to go. The length on mine allows the tube to be as long as possible, just touching the restraining wood on either side.

Now I can add the rest of the sheeting and keep moving foreward.

Steve

ps. Don - What I would like, is to meet you at one of the local RC flying events some time. Are you still in the metro Detroit area for work?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121110-00104.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	164063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121110-00105.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	164064  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

Nope, that job did not work out, and I have now moved back to Ohio (and very glad to be home again). I have a new day job with a UAV company here, and it's going extremely well. However, I do have some friends in the Saginaw area, and there are some dulcimer festivals up there in the summer (Evart and Midland), so I will get to that area occasionally. I will be at the Chippewa Nature Center north of Saginaw from 1-3 next Saturday afternoon, playing fiddle with some friends (a group called "Muzyka!") who have a concert there. Not sure when I might be in Michigan again after that.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Nope, that job did not work out, and I have now moved back to Ohio (and very glad to be home again). I have a new day job with a UAV company here, and it's going extremely well. However, I do have some friends in the Saginaw area, and there are some dulcimer festivals up there in the summer (Evart and Midland), so I will get to that area occasionally. I will be at the Chippewa Nature Center north of Saginaw from 1-3 next Saturday afternoon, playing fiddle with some friends (a group called "Muzyka!") who have a concert there. Not sure when I might be in Michigan again after that.

I'm glad you found good work near home. I'm in the auto buisness and I've lost a lot of friends who either retired and moved away or moved to find work somewhere else. It's also great to hear you're a musician as well. I used to play trumpet a lot all over the Detroit area untill the kids came along. I miss playing regularly in a group and the camaraderie that came with it. I think that's part of the reason I joined a RC club.

Maybe one of these days, we'll hook up at some RC event.

Steve

If you're going up US-23 to Midland, when you pass M-59 you're only about 10 miles from our flying field. So never say never!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

I play 8 different instruments(acoustic guitar, baritone uke, fiddle, viola, mandolin, tenor banjo, bohdran, pennywhistle, and as soon as I finish restoring the one I'm working on, I plan to add cello; I also have some 5 string banjos and we have some mountain and hammer dulcimers) although none of them particularly well.

I also have a side business repairing stringed instruments, which I took up as a way to learn what I needed to know to make them. I'm now getting into that end of things. I've already made some wooden pennywhistles of my own design, and I'm working on a 32 string original-design Celtic harp for my wife, and a mandolin for me, both of which are intended to be production prototypes. Got some fiddles and guitars in the works as well.

Our youngest son has a college degree in Trombone-Performance. The summer before he started fifth grade I took up the fiddle, for reasons I still don't know, it just suddenly struck me as something I should do. He decided to try it as well, but when fall came, he discovered our school system only had a band, not an orchestra, so no strings section. One of my relatives had played trombone in high school, and his old instrument was sitting in a closet at my mom's house. It turns out our son was perfectly suited for trombone, and ended up making a professional career of it. At the moment he's the lead trombone in a Ska band. He was working towards finding a position in a classical orchestra, but his band is doing very well, and he may be able to make a go of it there. In any case, he's having the time of his life with it, and his energy and enthusiasm rubs off on the audience.

You might get in touch with Jerry Lelacheur at the Flyin' Wolverines club http://flynwolverines.com/ over in Marine City. He's a trumpet player, and is active with a number of bands in the area. He might be able to help you get active in it again.

I'm afraid this trip there won't be any intermediate stops. I'm leaving the farm at oh-dark-thirty in the morning to get to the Midland area in time, and then driving right back here afterwards. Maybe sometime in the future we might be able to get together. Also, if you're in the Dayton, Ohio area sometime, please let me know.

Then of course there's always the Toledo Show, I usually manage to make it there for one day, usually Saturday. If I ever get the 3-meter Chrysalis or some of our other projects done, we might start having a booth there again.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Dimeflyer

VicRider
Looks realy great guy hope it flys as good as it looks !!!
George
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 AM
vicrider

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
VicRider
George
Thanks George. If the weather clears up I will give a try here within the next few days.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 AM
vicrider

I maiden mine today. All I can say is AWSOME. Steve you are really going to like this plane. Took it out about an hour ago, there was just a little wind and a little cool out (51 degrees). It took just a few clicks of down for trim. The eflite 480 with a 12x5 prop was getting 296 watts and 26 amps. It will pull it straight up out of your hand, but I think the best climb angle is about 70 degrees. I have a skylimit switch that had the cut offs turned off, but one flight the motor run im guessing was around 40seconds or so had the plane at 961 feet.

I dont really have much to compare this to except an eflite ascent and a wanderer with an eflite 450. The chrysalis is worlds better behaved in the climb out then eather of those. There were no thermals around and really wasnt trying to find any, but the plane really hangs up there regardless and covers a good bit of ground too. Its stable and predictable. I never had spoilers before so I was surprised when I first used them and should have had the plane higher while trying them out. I was about 15 feet off the ground when I deployed them and didnt expect as much pitch down as I got, I got the nose back up before contact with the ground but there was a split second pucker going on. Have to see if I can mix some elevator in.

Really happy with this plane.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

VicRider
George
Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
I finished mine.
Came out at 35oz with a 1800 3 cell battery. I used a eflite 480 motor with a cam 12x5 prop and a 40 amp esc, futaba 3114 servos on th R/E and 2 cheap 5gr servos for the spoilers. Im using a futaba 6J radio with the spoilers on channels 5 and 6, 6 being slaved to 5.

Attachment 164059

How did I miss these posts.... Surfing on a phone does have it's draw backs. Anyway, yours looks great vicrider!!!

I know that I'm slow, but... didn't you start after me... and you're done?
Let us know how yours flies when you get a chance to give her a try!

Steve
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default 1/2 of the wing down, 1/2 to go!

I've completed the 1st 1/2 of the wing. (except the spoiler) The wing is only rough sanded, but enough so I know it fits together. It does seem that the dihedral is about 1/4 in more than what the plans call for, but I'm assuming that as long as the other side ends up the same I'm OK.

Off to the next 1/2 (with Rib J in the correct spot, I hope!)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121111-00108.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	164129  
Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 AM
vicrider

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
How did I miss these posts.... Surfing on a phone does have it's draw backs. Anyway, yours looks great vicrider!!!

I know that I'm slow, but... didn't you start after me... and you're done?
Let us know how yours flies when you get a chance to give her a try!

Steve
Yes I did start after you but I cheated, The wife had a road trip that lasted 2 weeks. So I sat on my butt in front of this the entire time.

The maiden is posted above, it was excellant.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
I maiden mine today. All I can say is AWSOME. ....
We must have been posting at the same time! Congrats! I can't wait to try mine!

Steve
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Dimeflyer

I am realy glad your plane is a good one !!
I finaly got my bench cleared and started the Gentel Lady 2m sailplane last night , I am doing it DIY so it will take me a long time to make parts and build with them so I have no idea how long it will take ?
It took me almost 20 years to get a copy of the plan and a manual for the build sequence and guide to the what fores !
Hope it won't take that long to do the build of the first copy !!
From the looks of it it is about the same build as you just compleated as far as
type of woods and sequence of build , but I will be makeing all the parts from my stalk of wood !
Well I better get to work on it so I may not be posting a lot for a while !!
Be well and stay safe Sir !!
George
P.S. I may post back for advice on any problems I have if that is ok with you ?
George
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
k8zfj
randy

I managed about 6 flights over long weekend; yesterday wind was in 12-15mph range, and this bird slices right through it, while the poly-diehdral ships are all over the place; landings with spoilers and lil bit of up elevator mix and you can drop it at your feet.

the reinforced firewall is still holding up & no vibration

randy
Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

P.S. I may post back for advice on any problems I have if that is ok with you ?
George
George, I for one would be happy to help you. However, this thread is about building a DJ Aerotech Chrysalis 2-meter electric kit, while you are scratch-building a Goldberg Gentle Lady from plans. Two different designs, from two different designers, and from two different eras and design styles. Although the comparisons could be interesting, mixing them together in the same thread might get a little confusing for the other readers.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

...Gentel Lady 2m sailplane last ...P.S. I may post back for advice on any problems I have if that is ok with you ?
George
George,

I think the best thing to do is to start your own thread. (Like Don said) Please post a link to it here so we can find it and help you out in it as well.
You do not need to do a complete build thread.... but just posting progress and picts of the build helps others understand what the build process is like. Then asking questions when things aren't right, have a little background and are more easily understood.

I'm sure others are interested in that sailplane as well, so having a speperate thread with the description and picts of the build may push others to build one too. They are easy to find if you name them with the correctly as well. "Gentle Lady Scratch Build" or something like that...

Steve
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by k8zfj View Post
I managed about 6 flights over long weekend; yesterday wind was in 12-15mph range, and this bird slices right through it, while the poly-diehdral ships are all over the place; landings with spoilers and lil bit of up elevator mix and you can drop it at your feet.

the reinforced firewall is still holding up & no vibration

randy
Great to hear Randy!

Questions for you and others who have built a Chryrsalis on the Spoilers.

How did you implement the the control linkages for the spoilers? The plans call for a small pushrod, but I have read how others are using the servo arm itself pushing the spoiler open. (And using a magnet to hold it shut). I am planning on Ying the spoiler servos so getting both hooked up with the pushrods with the same travel seems like it might be a lot of work... Does anyone have an opinion?

Steve
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Don Stackhouse
Don Stackhouse

We include a piece of .032" stainless steel safety wire in the kit for making the pushrods. It's easy to bend, and works well. Still, some folks have found the idea of wire bending somewhat intimidating. The other method, pushing the spoiler up with the servo arm and holding it shut with a magnet, also seems to work well. Either way, getting the two sides to work symmetrically doesn't seem to be a major issue.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Dimeflyer

Sory about mixing the builds guys was not trying to mess things up If I get enough work done on it I will try to load pics for you to see and in a seperate thread to keep things right !
George

Quick Reply: #35 Model Airplane Building Clinic >> DJAerotech Chrysalis 2m Electric Sailplane

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16850 seconds with 14 queries