Best Spitfire ARF? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Best Spitfire ARF?

Old 08-14-2016, 04:02 PM
hbgandy

Default Best Spitfire ARF?

My favorite Warbird of all time is the iconic Spitfire. I love building scale and will start soon on my ultimate Spitfire MkIX, which will take me a at least a year to complete. In the meantime I must learn to fly a Spitfire, which some guys in our club tell me I am nuts to even think about as they are so difficult to master, especially landing. I'm up to the challenge, willing to handle many crashes, and willing to expend some additional $ for a good reliable and tough Spit ARF with all the bells and whistles such as retracts, flaps, reasonable detail, strong control linkages, all pre-installed motor and electronics, etc. I prefer in the 40"-60" wingspan range. So which shall it be? DuraFly; E-Flite; ParkZone; EMS; and others that I don't know about?
Please shout out your frank thoughts and comments which will be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The Spit has developed a folklore all of its own and some of the traits are to be honest rubbish.

I have had various Spits from the Mk 5 up to Mk 24 and all had similar traits.

a) The wing for its span being of a semi ellipse has lower wing loading than other warbirds of similar span. This even in full size gave the Spit an advantage over the much higher wing loaded Me109 as example.
b) The U/C on the full size was retracted outward because of its needing to be mounted nearer C/L due to wing construction. This gives the Spit a frightful reputation on the ground which is also found on scale models.
c) The overall shape and form of the Spit is high performance and gives her an aerobatic capability that can catch out the wary. Compare her side profile to her contemporaries and you can see the racer thoroughbred in her ... Schneider S6B.

General flying is superb, but its the start and finish that catches out most. The need to keep her level and up to speed before lifting of, the need to fly her in for landing. That U/C will catch you out ...

Any reasonable flyer having gone through their trainer could fly the run of mill offerings out there such as the Hobby King Spit etc. They are not true scale having had wing forms altered etc. But they will still catch out the ill prepared poor flyer.

Personally if you are moving up from basic trainer and want to cut teeth on the Spitty ... then get a cheapo foam job from Hobby King or similar ... bash it around learning its traits.

its actually a pity that the old Rojair Spitfire is not still around ... that was a really nice 2nd / 3rd level model.

Nigel
Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Hbgandy,

I've had the Durafly, Dynam and the new FlightlineRC versions. My favorite of the bunch is the Flightline: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nt=19079715462

I think ready2fly has them for Europe if that's where you reside. Just google the plane

For scale fidelity, the Durafly might have a slight edge and it's a fine flyer. But the Flightline Mk iX version is the best flyer out of this bunch. I have the 880kv upgrade with 2 blade prop. The 4 blade probably files more scale-like but the two blade version with it's increased speed brings her to life. I can even run 5S without a problem. With 5S, she'll go over 100 mph if you're into speed. Nothing like a high speed low pass with a Spitty. Retracts and flaps included.

No bad tendencies you might expect with the elliptical wing. My go-to plane.

On the balsa/ply side consider the Phoenix Model Mk2 version. Only $159.00 plus free shipping from Tower: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXEMWS

Can go gas or electric. Phoenix builds their planes like a brick outhouse if you know what I mean. Lots of ply. For electric, you could drop in a 46 or 60 size bl motor , 80 am esc, servos and still be under $250.00. Comes with mechanical retracts.

I love the Spitfire !

Hawk
Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 PM
hbgandy

Default Best Spitfire ARF

Thanks sooooo much for the comments. Very helpful. The reference to the Phoenix Models version was a revelation to me, and all the build comments there have been terrific. My #1 preference of all the Spit variants is the MkIX so I'm currently leaning towards that kit vs the DuraFly or Flightline. Many thanks.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:16 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

I'd like to plug for the Parkzone Spitfire model. It is a Mk. IX and flies very well.

[media]http://www.bakehead.com/Calico_08_03_2013/Don_Spit_009.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www.bakehead.com/Calico_08_03...n_Spit_008.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www.bakehead.com/Calico_08_03...n_Spit_011.jpg[/media]

It is easily fitted with retracts and there is a "mod" for the split flaps too. The addition of a 4 blade prop really sets it off for the "look" too.

Hillbille