What glider/sailplanes are you flying? - Page 11 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

What glider/sailplanes are you flying?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Epoxycup

Default e-Hawk

AEAJR

I have the E-Hawk 1500 but have only flown it about five times, and unfortunatly no thermals avaialable. The E-Hawk however is a great flyer, one of my favorites, and I think it would thermal well. My main problem is I can't get my ESC (Thundibird 18) to go into break on mode. Tried to contact Castle many times but have given up on looking at their auto response.

A couple of things with the E-Hawk.

They come with an installed little brushless outrunner that seems to power it quite well. It can get to altitude (200') very quickly. I use a PQ1200 3s in it, and can fly on battery power about 10 minutes. If I remember the plane with motor was about $110.00 great buy. I dont remember what it weighs but it is very light. It can move along well, I think the airfoil was RG-15.
Another thing is the ailerons dont throw quite enough so rolls are very slow, but for turns they are fine, and that may be just my model as I have no others to compare with. They only use one servo with control rods comeing out the sides of the fuse, great fo weight reduction, but a pain if you want to take off the wing. Many on the threads have moded with servos in the wings, and that may improve roll authority to. Just kind of a differant configuration then you normally see but it works.
The E-Hawk is a good looking, and great flying little plane it always get's a lot of interest at the field, I like it and would reccomend it as a keeper.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

One servo for ailerons is a common configuration in power planes and should work fine. Move the control rod to the furthest point from the servo for more throw.

If you need more, move it to the hole closest to the aileron. That will give you max throw.

Thermal planes are not really made for rolls, so it may not be set up for rolls.

Glad you enjoy it but if you want it for thermal soaring then I would hold off on recommending it until you have gotten it into some thermals.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Epoxycup

AJEAR

You are correct I just reccomend as a good flyer,as I said I have not really thermaled it. I have already given max travel configuration on the linkage, It's more that the aileron hinging did not allow enough throw, but then it's OK as is, not a bad point. No big deal.
I would still reccomend the plane as it is a great flyer, tracks well, plenty of power, slows down for landing nicely, very smooth. And even though I have not thermaled with it, the wing loadis light.

Forgot the thread ask what types of gliders we are flying:

Siren
Omei 2000
Great Planes Spirit Elite ARF
Bird of Time ARF and elctrified
Cermark Dragonfly
Ace Whisper
Gentle Lady actually gave this to my son
Thunder Tiger e-Hawk
Bird Works MOG sloper
Douglas Quicksilver sloper
And my newest a Blue Arrow Angel DLG

Last edited by Epoxycup; 06-14-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: types of gliders
Old 05-09-2009, 05:17 AM
R Reese

Just put up an eflight ascent that thing takes off like the space shuttle really a good flyer love it
Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Gerardjg

I took the 13 year old Alcyone out this Saturday, many years in storage and countless repairs. She still flew great I had 1 spec out, that flight lasted 36 minutes. On landing when I lowered the flaps one of the servos, pulled out of the wing, no major damage. All 4 wing servos are held in with 13 year old two way tape time to glue them in.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:35 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Finally maidened the Radian this past week. Very impressive glider. Good power, great glide ratio, no bad habits.

MUCH more interesting than my original 2M Electrasoar that tipped the scales at 54 ounces.

What more would I get from a higher performance 2M electric glider beyond what I am getting from the Radian? (Lighter / better glide ratio? )

Clint
Old 05-30-2009, 03:49 AM
jecchile

Cbatters...
What happened to the Sky Walker?... did you get the Radian instead?... I'm glad that you had a successful "maiden"... have fun.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I am flying:
GP Siren
Fry Mk II
Omega 1.8e
Electrified Gentle Lady
Thunder Tiger EHawk
Old 05-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Well, currently I only have a Wing Warrior Ridge Runner, which is a lot of fun. Has a funky couple though in rolls, like it flops rather than rolls smoothly.

I need to get a few more, but for now my RR is holding me up Tons of fun to play combat right on a ridge line
Old 05-30-2009, 05:00 AM
CygnusX1

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Finally maidened the Radian this past week. Very impressive glider. Good power, great glide ratio, no bad habits.

MUCH more interesting than my original 2M Electrasoar that tipped the scales at 54 ounces.

What more would I get from a higher performance 2M electric glider beyond what I am getting from the Radian? (Lighter / better glide ratio? )

Clint
Clint, I flew the Easy Glider for a year before I picked up an Omega 1.8. I posed basically the same question and answered it here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26113

The EGE weighs 32oz and the Omega 21oz, both (w/o batteries). Their wing loadings must be close to eachother with the Easy Glider maybe slightly less.

I introduced myself to a excellent heli pilot today and spoke to him about sailplanes and thermals. He asked if I could demonstrate. One 30 second climb later, the Omega was thermalling into oblivion. I flew for about 25 minutes up around 1200 feet, and then he got bored, so I demonstrated the spoilerons and made some high speed low passes for him. I could have stayed up all day. It wasn't even a great day for thermals but this plane is almost "thermal on demand". The EGE won't catch nor indicate as much lift which I suspect to be similar to the Radian.

My Easy Glider is now my test plane. I send it up to scout conditions and then if all is well, I send up the Omega for some extreme thermalling.

Dave
Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Many thanks - sounds like I will be adding another e-glider to my hangar.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:02 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Posted this one in the wrong thread I think

Last edited by groundrushesup; 05-30-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Posted this one in the wrong thread I think
Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 PM
panzerd18

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Do you fly the Siren as a thermal ship or are you flying aerobatics.

Have never seen an e-hawk fly. Does it thermal well?
The Ehawk would thermal well, but I am really a beginner when it comes to thermal soaring so my word does not mean much. The Ehawk glides really nice but as others said, I am disappointed with the limited aileron throw available.

The Ehawk is faster than the Radian. However the Radian is probably easier to thermal with.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:13 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Flew the Radian this AM and caught an amazing thermal that I had to fly out of to get the plane down. As winds picked up it seemed to disrupt the AM thermals.

Appreciate additional thoughts about why a plane like the Omega 1.8 would out-thermal a Radian even if they have similar wing loading. (Are other gliders just more aerodynamic with less drag?)

Clint
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

Been interesting listening to all of you describe your gliders. Some really sound impressive.
I don't have one, but someday, maybe.
CBatters, I don't know a whole lot about airplanes, but is it possible that you the two airplanes you mentioned have different airfoils? I hear that the shape of the airfoil can really make a difference. Glad you're getting some nice flying.
I live in the desert, and amasingly, have never experienced a thermal. I've seen the dust devils, which I guess are associated with thermals, just never flown in one with any kind of airplane.
Happy flying to All
Caley
Old 05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Definitely different airfoils and Omega 1.8 has near zero dihedral so I expect you would spend more time on the stick to keep it level.

I encourage you to do a search for thermals and Radian on this board for some very good descriptions.

Clint
Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 PM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

CBatters, actually, if you have your glider set up perfectly once you release the controls, it should just stay in the thermal. I know, as my main area of aeromodeling is free flight, and most free flight gliders are pretty much zero-zero now. Launch angle is critical so that they will transition properly. They get to alititude, transition from the power phase into the glide and just seem to stay up there forever. Most competition freeflight gliders now need what is called a dethermaliser in order to descend, and sometimes that isn't enough and they fly out of sight. R/C is nice because of the controls and ability to fly out of thermals.
I do have one glider kit, though I've chickened out trying to put it together, mainly because I can't figure out a good power system that doesn't cost a whole lot. It's a relatively cheap motorglider called a Mini Ventus 2.6. Apparently this puppy is very slippery and difficult to land, if you have limited landing area. Caley
Old 05-30-2009, 07:31 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Not sure why you think the plane will stay in the thermal without using the controls. The thermals are moving around and you need to watch the behavior of the wings of the plane to keep it in the highest lift area of the thermal.

Also note that as you brush up next to a thermal and it catches one of the wings, it is turning the plane away, not towards the thermal.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

Sorry, I keep forgetting that the the R/C surfaces will flutter, whereas the free flight gliders are much lighter and have fixed surfaces, or at least most do. Guess the main difference is weight, You're talking about 20+ ounces and freeflight is usually less than two. Shows you how much I know about things.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Here's what I'm flying:

The orange is what I believe to be an ACE-RC Wanderer

The pure sailplane is a Spirit ARF

The white and red is a T-tail Electra

Building a Mantua Silver 9ft sailplane, not sure if I'm going electric with it or not.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0140.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	104011  
Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Default Bird of Time - electrified

This fine old bird is a delight to fly with a AXI 2820-14. Launch dolly makes takeoffs a delight to behold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Time Launcher 011.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	104016  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:51 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

THIS IS FOR ALL YOU PILOTS WITH PURE GLIDERS
(e-glider pilots can skip this note)

On July 11 & 12, the Eastern Soaring League thermal duration series moves to the Daniel Boone Homestead near Reading PA. This will be for winch launched sailplanes.

( we also have a DLG contest in MA that same weekend.)

People will be flying Easy Gliders, 2M woodies, RES, full house all the way up to 4M molded planes. If you have it and it can be winched, you can fly.

If you are not talented on a winch, don't be embarrassed, lots of people have other people run the winch. You will find plenty of people who know how to tap up a Gentle Lady or zoom a Supra for you.

We will have Expert and Sportsman classes.

Registration is here:
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...ail.asp?cid=10

Information about the field ( a beautiful field ) is here:
http://www.dbsf.org/

As of today we have 21 pilots registered but I know that number will go up. With a little luck we should have around 30 pilots. Great for all you LSF level II through IV pilots.

The format will be Man on Man with spot landing tapes. No retriever lines as a golf cart will be used to bring the lines back. ESL winches will be used for launching.

If you are looking for a fun and challenging event in order to fly your sailplane, this is the place to be.

Come fly with us!