What glider/sailplanes are you flying? - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

What glider/sailplanes are you flying?

Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Jason T
Electron Liberator

Richard,

Welcome to Wattflyer!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:50 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Mine are:

Alpha 180, Polk Hobby, 72"
Mini Phoenix, Cremark
Skimmer 400, bought this one at a meet.
Ascent, just got a receiver for it last night, not test flown yet.

By George
Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 AM
brewer

Aspire EP bone stock other than a oversize prop. This one came with a Quattro 4 channel tx that i like. I purchased this plane saturday eve. Sunday morning i was launching. What a great fealing, what a great plane. Have been leaving the brewery early every day so i can fly before it gets dark. I think i'm hooked.
brewer
Old 11-23-2005, 04:09 PM
sierra-gold

Originally Posted by brewer View Post
Aspire EP bone stock other than a oversize prop. This one came with a Quattro 4 channel tx that i like. I purchased this plane saturday eve. Sunday morning i was launching. What a great fealing, what a great plane. Have been leaving the brewery early every day so i can fly before it gets dark. I think i'm hooked.
brewer
Hangar 9 Aspire is a great 2M glider. I converted one to EP back when the ARF glider version was still offered. Still one of my favorite planes.

I run a Hacker B20 L18 with 4:1 Maxon GB, 3S 2100 lipo, and a 12x6 folder. Climbs out at 60-70 and the AUW is 38oz.

Brewer - are you the pilot I sold the Estarter to on your move back to Utah?

If you don't have a gear box on the Aspire, add one and get a larger prop. You will pleased with the added climb out power.

SG
Old 11-25-2005, 07:37 AM
brewer

Sierra-gold I am not the person that moved to utah. I am close to Coloma. Sometimes i fly out on highway 49 acrost from Venezzios vinyard. thanks for the info on adding a gear box. If you find yourself in Coloma, stop by Gold Hill Vinyard & Brewery. I'll buy ya one
brewer
Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi

Here's my entry into the world of thermals.
Thunder Tiger Soaring Star.

2 metre wings
4 channels (airelons - on seperate channels for spoilers when needed)
40 amp ESC from Cape Sailplanes
540 brushed motor - direct drive
2S1P 2,2 amp LiPo

Was very impressed with one of our members who stayed up for 67 minutes one Sunday.
Should be ready for maiden this week-end

Geoff

Last edited by Geoff_Gino; 01-31-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
EnterTheHaggis
EnterTheHaggis

Let me know how it flys, My longest flight on mine is 30 minutes, although I had to leave several thermals because it was getting pretty far out there.
Hint: keep it fast near the ground on turbulent days.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Originally Posted by EnterTheHaggis View Post
Let me know how it flys, My longest flight on mine is 30 minutes, although I had to leave several thermals because it was getting pretty far out there.
Hint: keep it fast near the ground on turbulent days.
Will do and thanks for the hint.

Did all the final work last night and found I had to add a flight battery as the CG was way off. Did the trick and with the final charge and check, I am ready for the maiden tomorrow.

Geoff
Old 12-03-2005, 03:10 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ragbag View Post
Mine are:

Alpha 180, Polk Hobby, 72"
Mini Phoenix, Cremark
Skimmer 400, bought this one at a meet.
Ascent, just got a receiver for it last night, not test flown yet.

By George
Add a Cermark Easy Electro 72. A friend strained his through a pine tree and I ended up with the fuselage.
Cermark discontinued the Electro, but still had a wing in stock. Copied the tail feathers off of the Alpa 180 and put a new prop on it. Working on the radio gear now. Took a little break, don't think I'll have it ready for the AM though.

Might wait for the Berg 4L to come in, save the 555 for something else, maybe another Kadet.

By George
Old 12-03-2005, 10:01 PM
EnterTheHaggis
EnterTheHaggis

Good luck, I use a 6 cell 2000mah nimh, I was wondering how the weight change for the battery would effect the cg. Let us know how it flew.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Originally Posted by EnterTheHaggis View Post
Good luck, I use a 6 cell 2000mah nimh, I was wondering how the weight change for the battery would effect the cg. Let us know how it flew.
Hi All

The weight change was in my favour and balanced the plane out nicely.

Maiden on Saturday went well and my instructor stayed up with it for 12 minutes. No thermals early in the morning and left it for later.

Second flight was 13 minutes and all I can say is it flies great, still no thermals, but my other club has better potential and we'll see what happens there.

Geoff
Old 12-06-2005, 05:10 AM
brewer

Default Thank you for sharerd knowlage.

Originally Posted by sierra-gold View Post
Hangar 9 Aspire is a great 2M glider. I converted one to EP back when the ARF glider version was still offered. Still one of my favorite planes.

I run a Hacker B20 L18 with 4:1 Maxon GB, 3S 2100 lipo, and a 12x6 folder. Climbs out at 60-70 and the AUW is 38oz.

Brewer - are you the pilot I sold the Estarter to on your move back to Utah?

If you don't have a gear box on the Aspire, add one and get a larger prop. You will pleased with the added climb out power.

SG
sierra gold many thanks for the advice on adding a gear box to my aspire. i have done so. used a park zone p51 mustang motor and gearbox because i had one. had to add little weight to make up the differance. figured this out at my first test flight. also purchased a better nim hi battery. local hobby shop did not have a lipo. also added larger prop. you are right, i am extreemly pleased with climb power plus,flight time under power has increased ten fold.. thank you, thank you, thank you.
with respect brewer
Old 12-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Silverhawk

It's always interesting to see what others are flying.

My "flyers" are":

Castor 2.5 - F10LMR, 7 or 10 cell CP1700's, 14x9.5 or 13x7. Just finished.
XL3200 - 1409/2Y, 3.7:1, 14 CP1700's, 16x10
Sophisticated Lady V-tail, S400, 3.8:1, 8 to 10 cells (600AE or 1700AU), 11x8. This one will be getting a BL soon.
SOBOX Storm - 1409/2Y, 3.7:1, 10 - 2000's, 13x7

The Lady is my favorite to just go out and "fluff around" with. On a nice day she gets a 2 minute motor run climb and then I can just about put down the radio and watch for at least 15 minutes.

I'll not get into the in progress bunch. Like the AVA-E fuse and the Aquila wings.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

All time favorite of mine is my ancient Astro-Flight "Challenger". Still being flown with its original geared Astro 05 FAI on seven cell SANYO 1700 SCRC packs, spinning a 12X6 folder. ESC is an Astro Flight, servos are Hitec HS-101 and RX is a trusty, old FMA Fortress. Heavy? By today's standards, yes, but it still flies superbly nice when one considers it doesn't have ailerons. It does have flaps though.

Also have an Omega 1.8 powered by a direct drive long can Speed 400 motor spinning a 6X3 folder prop. A four channel affair that soars with the best.

Ground guidance is provided by a Futaba 8 "Super" TX on both.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	omega-1.8e-01entry-entered.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	4404   Click image for larger version

Name:	omega-1.8e-02-entry-enterd.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	4405  

Last edited by qban_flyer; 12-08-2005 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding photos of the Omega 1.8

Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Strati

Default What I am Flying

Hi All
I have been flying a Lee Falcon for some 12 months and have now bought and assembled a Multiplex Easy Glider Electric, looks great and am looking forward to flying it when I get home. I live in Queensland OZ and am currently in Perth Oz working.
I will let you know how I get on.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Strati

Your sailplane looks great and the setup is a good one, mind if i borrow some of the setup as I have ordered my Omega 1.8 today.
Kind Regards
John.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:13 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Nice looking sailplane Geoff. If it flies as good as it looks, you have a winner there.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi Qban

Thanks, only problem at the moment is, I can't get it into the air.
You've read the post about our Hobby shops and my comments.

(Now what can be said for a LHS that has a plane on it's shelf without the necessary parts needed to complete the project, and woe is me with a broken folding prop for the Soaring Star and a 60" Hanger 9 Corsair that I can't find a 15"x8 3 blade prop for. Proper hanger queen it has become.)

Geoff
Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
qban_flyer

Originally Posted by Geoff_Gino View Post
Hi Qban

Thanks, only problem at the moment is, I can't get it into the air.
You've read the post about our Hobby shops and my comments.

(Now what can be said for a LHS that has a plane on it's shelf without the necessary parts needed to complete the project, and woe is me with a broken folding prop for the Soaring Star and a 60" Hanger 9 Corsair that I can't find a 15"x8 3 blade prop for. Proper hanger queen it has become.)

Geoff
YUP!

Really a shame to have a product on display for sale and not to have the supporting equipment for said merchandise. Too bad, but it is the norm with some hobby shops rather than being the exception.

Take care

Old 12-09-2005, 06:49 AM
TeslaWinger

OK, I am impressed! Here's my humble harem of lovely thermal hounds

Newest is the 100 inch span Queen Bee- see my post in Deltas- undergoing a Phasor15/4 nosejob- until I got on here tonight, that is... Nicknamed GLIDEZILLA!

A converted 10 foot Bird of Time with a Marathon outrunner and an 8 cell Zagi highrate NIMH pack. Elegant!

An Aspire 2 meter converted to electric with LIGHTNESS in mind- until I got annoyed with the S400 w redrive minimal climbrate. An MP Jet Speed 600 class redrive brushless will soon improve the departure angle of this graceful thermal angel.

A V-BAT converted to a rocket plane VTO! Whoa! A wee bit of hangar rash.. oops.. has it on the back burner at the mo...

A Candy with a towhook added for high-start ooomph.

and last... but definitely least...

A mere fond memory of my recently departed Ascent- eaten by a vulture laden Godzilla Thermal- But hey! Whatta way to GO! Straight up till it disapeared in a BUZZARD BOOMER! A tear and a grin all at once... Gonna miss that lil bird... but what a last flight!!! Sure felt weird with a TX in my hands and nothing left to steer in sight... :O
Old 12-09-2005, 03:21 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TeslaWinger View Post
and last... but definitely least...

A mere fond memory of my recently departed Ascent- eaten by a vulture laden Godzilla Thermal- But hey! Whatta way to GO! Straight up till it disapeared in a BUZZARD BOOMER! A tear and a grin all at once... Gonna miss that lil bird... but what a last flight!!! Sure felt weird with a TX in my hands and nothing left to steer in sight... :O
I feel your pain my friend.

I lost a single channel Ace High glider to one of them voracious thermals back in 1970. At first I was thrilled to have been able to manage to join in with the buzzards in the free climbing adventure of the thermal after the little .049 Cox engine had quit running.

After about ten minutes I realized the thing was climbing too fast for my taste. No amount of left or right rudder would get it out of that thermal, and away she went.

Devastated? Sure I was, but learned my lesson well. Stay away from sailplane eating thermals unless equipped with spoilers and or flaperons.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:52 AM
gliderman
Gliderman

Cool Mystery Glider!

I'm attaching a thumbnail of my latest "Mystery glider that was given to me, no Rx, but all servoes! Ailerons, Flaps and large "V" tail! High-start
only

Name:	DSCF0177.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4508  
Old 12-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Jason T
Electron Liberator

Looks nice! Unfortunately, I do not know which one that is.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:31 AM
kepople

Pure sail planes at the moment, I have a Sky sergio. I also have a Bonito, Mini Nyx. I fly 2 DLG gliders, Kennedy Composites Blaster, and Wright Brothers Gambler +.

I am working on an AVA E and an Elegant 700 for next season.

Kirby

Name:	P1020531sm.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	4521   Click image for larger version

Name:	BONITO_MEcp.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	4522   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020416sm.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	4524  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
sergio.bmp (64.1 KB, 849 views)
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 AM
tim hooper
Single-task man

The Omega range looks to be the same as the Highlight range over here in the UK.

I've been flying my Highlight Unlimited 1.8 poly for a few years now, and it really is a superb performer.

It started life with a geared S400 motor and 7 cells, but now it sports a direct-drive Mega 1615/5, 9x5 prop and 8xGP1100 NiMHs.

The biggest mod was to ditch that awful foam tail and substitute a home-made item from balsa. The V-tail is removable via single screw, and folds flat for storage as the halves of the tail are joined with a hinge. Not only that, but both servos are inset into the tail surfaces themselves which gets rid of those horrible snakes and gives more room in the nose for the powertrain.

tim

Name:	Dscf0007.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	4525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0008.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	4526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0009.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	4527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0010.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	4528  

Quick Reply: What glider/sailplanes are you flying?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10352 seconds with 21 queries