Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

What glider/sailplanes are you flying?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Jason T
Electron Liberator

Tim,

Nice mod. V-tails are hard to transport otherwise.

Jason
Old 12-14-2005, 12:44 AM
TeslaWinger

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I feel your pain my friend.

After about ten minutes I realized the thing was climbing too fast for my taste. No amount of left or right rudder would get it out of that thermal, and away she went.

Devastated? Sure I was, but learned my lesson well. Stay away from sailplane eating thermals unless equipped with spoilers and or flaperons.
Q, this is the stuff of another thread- GETTING DOWN!!! For my first year of soaring, FINDING and staying in a thermal and controlling with enough finesse to actually climb reliably was a thrill- but THEN success turned scary in the boomers when you find it awfully high and still climbing - now what?

Suddenly, without spoilers or flaps your only alternative is to dive it at Vbsd (better slow down!!!) till it imitates a howling flapping ornithopter in METEOR MODE. I lost an E-Aspire and a Goldberg Electra to wing failures from this scenario! One fuse cored (an empty) tennis court at 70, the other fuse is still in a dense swamp near here, left for future archeologists to ponder- cause I sure can't find it!

Cloudsuck is well named- it'll suck yer bird out of sight all the way to cloudbase and IFR beyond- and its HELLO NEXT PROJECT- WITH SPOILERS! Could this be a case of Not Thinking Ahead? Yup!

Humbly,
TW
Old 12-14-2005, 12:54 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

Originally Posted by TeslaWinger View Post
Q, this is the stuff of another thread- GETTING DOWN!!! For my first year of soaring, FINDING and staying in a thermal and controlling with enough finesse to actually climb reliably was a thrill- but THEN success turned scary in the boomers when you find it awfully high and still climbing - now what?

Suddenly, without spoilers or flaps your only alternative is to dive it at Vbsd (better slow down!!!) till it imitates a howling flapping ornithopter in METEOR MODE. I lost an E-Aspire and a Goldberg Electra to wing failures from this scenario! One fuse cored (an empty) tennis court at 70, the other fuse is still in a dense swamp near here, left for future archeologists to ponder- cause I sure can't find it!

Cloudsuck is well named- it'll suck yer bird out of sight all the way to cloudbase and IFR beyond- and its HELLO NEXT PROJECT- WITH SPOILERS! Could this be a case of Not Thinking Ahead? Yup!

Humbly,
TW
HE, HE, HE

Back in those days all I had available to me was rudder only "galloping ghost". No way to get it to dive or even spiral it downward without elevator.

Like the Energizer Rabbit, it kept going, going, going!

Old 12-14-2005, 03:51 PM
gliderman
Gliderman

Do we have an active web-site that shows how to add a spoiler to the Bird of Time?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:44 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
Do we have an active web-site that shows how to add a spoiler to the Bird of Time?
GRAUPNER used to have a very nice "Spoiler Kit" that was designed for 2 meter and larger sailplanes. I have no clue as to whether they are still available or not. They were relatively easy to install and very effective. I had a set on a three meter affair.

Just found this link. It may be useful.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/themalco...e/spoilers.htm

Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Epoxycup

Gliderman

Hobby Lobby has several spoilers for differant size sailplanes. Go to thier web site then type spoilers in the search box.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:12 PM
TeslaWinger

Wow, Q! Galloping ghost? They were the days- of flapping surfaces- may they never return!

Actually as kid I had a rubberband powered escapement (1 click for left, 2 for right) that I never actually got to use as I had far too many thumbs as a kid- but I persevered thru many mangled projects until I succeeded- fortunately with better radio gear than that bizarre early innovation!

Those spoilers are in the new HL catalog and I hope to be getting them soon for a winter project. They look very well made. Thanks for the input and good flying to you all,
TW
Old 12-18-2005, 07:34 PM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

My first REAL radio was a red aluminum cased reed by Citizenship? It had the screw and nut thread output. STRONG!!
I do not miss them either. Or the screams of " I lost it."
Old 12-23-2005, 05:11 AM
JustPlaneChris
www.insideheli.com

I'll chime in! I'm just getting back into RC after a 5 year 'vacation' while building a real airplane. The big one was sold, so now I'm playing with smaller toys again. This is my first post here in WattFlyer too!

I just finished a scratch-built electric glider, as yet without a name (suggestions welcome!). The details:
  • The wing is attic fodder, a glass-bagged foam core from a HLG I designed and kitted years ago (Corn Dogger).
  • The fuselage is balsa, covered with a layer of 3.4oz glass (attached with water base polyurethane). V-tail is built up balsa.
  • Power is a JustGoFly 450XT on 3S1P 1300 Lipo, CoolRunning ESC. 10x8 Aeronaut blades on a BB hub. Cowling is 'lost foam' epoxy-glass.
  • Output: 6800 rpm at 13.5 A (145 watts)
  • Weight: 23 oz, so almost exactly 100 watts/lb.
I haven't flown it yet, despite it being finished for almost 2 weeks! Yes, it's killin me. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak out to the field sometime tomorrow or Saturday morning and commit it to the air.

Regards,

Chris Boultinghouse
Austin, TX
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Glider1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	5052  
Old 12-24-2005, 04:39 AM
Jason T
Electron Liberator

Chris,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Nice job on the scratch build. What is the wingspan?

I'm also looking forward to the flight report.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:40 AM
JustPlaneChris
www.insideheli.com

Hi Jason,

The wingspan is 60". I did get a chance to fly it today, even though the wind was gusting to 30 mph!

Despite the wind, it flew well. I was actually wishing it was a bit heavier, of course. The little 450XT easily hauled it up at a 60-70 degree angle, and I hooked a couple of good thermals, but didn't dare take it too far downwind. The ailerons are programmed to raise as spoilerons, and they worked really well. Surprisingly, I didn't even need any elevator mix when deployed. It just assumed a nice level attitude with a tremendous sink rate. Sweet!

I guess this could be classified as a "warmliner on a budget". At 100 watts/lb it's not a screamer, but it has a brisk climb and nimble handling. And the price is hard to beat, being a recycled wing and a scratch fuselage. I can't wait to fly it in more reasonable conditions.

-Chris
Old 12-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Jason T
Electron Liberator

Chris,

Very nice! Sounds like a great flyer.

Jason
Old 03-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Big Oakden
Life is flying a Pitts

Just noticed this thread:

I have (had) 2
1. Ellipsoid 110" (Deceased) Mega 22/20/3E, CC 60 ESC, 3:1 gear drive, 16x11 CF Folding Prop, Tanic 14.8v 2480mah battery pac.
755 watts (maintainable for at least 2-3 minutes without overheating the batteries) Drawing 56 amps. Zero - 400 ft (Flying field Height limit) in under 5 seconds. look for thermals or just putt around, when she gets low again take the EXPRESS Elevator to the top again. a blast to fly.
2. GP Siren Phasor 30/3, CF 12x8 Prop, 40 amp Jeti ESC, 11.1v Tanic 2480mah battery. real fun to fly, but not like my Ellipsoid was. All in All, a great E-glider. (not really a Hot liner, more of a medium liner) flat out she goes about 70-80.

The ellipsoid did not like to go straight down with power---too fast, no controls whatso ever. Almost lost her that way.

soon to have (possibly) Art Hobby Serenity or IBIS 3.1
Old 03-18-2006, 03:54 AM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

Default E-Flite Ascent

I fly the E-Flite Ascent. But since my original stock motor went, haven't flown it for about a month. I put in a HET Typhoon 6/20 with matching 10 amp esc and hope that will motivate it. MotoCalc says it will fly with the 6x4 prop I have on it. I'm fixing the wing right now, as it has been through a ton of crashes trying to learn how to fly electrics. I'd toss it and it would go nose into the ground. Someone finally told me I had to throw hard and haven't crashed it since. LOL!!! Dumb me. But my dream is to build myself a scale sailplane with a piggyback motor. Any suggestions on a plan I can purchase and where I can find the piggyback drive tower that goes just behind the canopy. I've seen pics, but never've been able to find a retailer. Of course if there is something that looks scale with the nose mounted motor that would be wonderful. I fly off a dry lake bed. so there's no problem with room, just the wind.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:10 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

This thread is getting kind of old, but what the heck...

I just picked up a Multiplex EasyGlider Electric. I just finished my second flight on it. Stock speed 400 gearbox & prop. The only battery pack I had handy for it was a little GWS 750 mAh 8 cell NiMH pack. It takes a good while to get to full height, and that battery is good for about 3 climbs.

I just finished charging up the 8 cell, 1050 mAh KAN pack, which should give a bit more pull.

Climbs take patience with this stock system, but this plane is really not about climbing performance.

I managed to get 14 minutes of flying with about 6 minutes of motor burn. I don't think that's considered very good, but I'm happy with it. (It was also about 30 F outside, with a 5-7 mph wind) I don't think there were any thermals around.

I don't want to spend a heck of a lot of money on a power system for this plane, as it seems to defeat the point of a thermal soarer to me.

This is my first glider, and it is a lot of fun to fly. It is every bit as much fun as my brushless Formosa, which is an absolute hoot. It's a completely different type of skill.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Flyinb

Right now havent done a lot of flying, it's been too cold/snowy or too muddy where i live. But last year i flew my converted Daydream 2m with a AXI 2212/36 and this year i have my old Klingburg wing and Sailaire ready to go.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Big Oakden
Life is flying a Pitts

EDFFanatic.

Scale Sailplanes with Self Launch Systems cost the big buck (at least the 4 meter one I had priced out at www.icare-rc.com,

These planes are out of this world beautiful, all of them are scale, for intermediate to advanced pilots.

They have pictures of them on the website of the SLS and some basic info how they work.

If you want a good penetrator for wind look at www.arthobby.com I have been talking with Andre there about the IBIS-E 3.1 meter and the Serenity-E 2.5 meter.

Just can't make up my mind. too many choices out there for gliders.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

Thanks Big, Never knew about Art Hobby. They have some nice stuff. Right now I'm just building from scratch various airplanes accross the spectrum of type (sailplanes, freeflight, jets, but no smellies) I like building more than flying, but sailplanes are sedate and that matches my demeanor. Good luck on choosing your glider. I guess it must be one that you can handle with a throw which would probably eliminate anything much more than 100 inches, unless of course you have a slope to drop it off of. :-)
Old 03-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Big Oakden
Life is flying a Pitts

Actually EDF, I hand launch my gliders myself both the 2m and 3m.

The real challenge will be getting a 4 meter and launching it by myself.

"E-bay Item" for about 200-220 for a glass fuze and obeche covered wings (?) or Balsa, cant remember which) you really cant go wrong. There's a long thread on RCU about this glider and 3-4 people who bought them and their thrills of building.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 AM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

Default You Gotta Be Strong

My goodness, I've difficulty enough with a plane of 50 inches. Maybe gender has something to do with it. I'm female and just don't have that ooomph to sling around a 5-7 pound plane. Do the larger winged planes hand launch better because of their wing area? I know if I don't throw my Ascent really hard, by the time I get on the stick, it is on the ground. I guess maybe that rule everyone at the flying field keeps telling me is true. Larger wing spans are easier to control and fly. I'll take a look on EBay and see what you told me about. Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Big Oakden
Life is flying a Pitts

EDF Fanatic:

My ellipsoid jumped out of my hands, i.e. with a light toss at 50% power she will go straight ahead with a slight climb, if you throw her slightly "uphill". think back to the song of the seventies "I've got the POWER".

With the power set up I had, it was never a problem getting her aloft. It was controlling her at full throttle...

There are sveral places to go:

www.espritmodels.com
www.hobby-lobby.com (I think that's right)
If you go to Esprit, tell Zb that you want it to really go, and he will set up the power plant for you.

For batteries check your LHS for Tanic Pacs they give out 15-20C and that is lots of power.

If you get an ellipsoid, look for my earlier post for the power plant....just up upgrade your servos to something a little more powerful.

She was a wonderful thermal hunter, and with power to go to 400ft in under 5 seconds, you could conceivably fly as long as your transmitter battery lasts...
Old 03-19-2006, 09:37 PM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

Default Thanks

Big, Thanks. I know both of the sites and have worked with both. The people at both are absolutely wonderful. Esprit helped me outfit several models I have. Right now, all I'm looking for is sedate flying. The need for speed isn't all that compelling, but occasionally I will fly a prop or edf jet. I prefer the slow turns and gentle glides more. But will have to wait for a commercially made model. That's why I was asking if anyone knew of plans that an intermediate flyer and builder could do that at least looks scale or is scale, with the exception of the motor. Again, thanks for your help. Regards Caley
Old 03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Epoxycup

EDF

I used to have the Ascent and it was an easy glider to launch. It should launch with just a gentle throw, double check your CG and when you launch dont throw it at to much of an up angel. Launch fairly level mayby about 10 degress up. It should glid out 50 or 60 feet easily.
Really dont know of any scale looking 1.5 or 2 meter ARF's out there.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
edffanatic
Crash Caley

Default Throwing Your Model

Epoxy. Believe it or not, I have only been successful with hard throws to get the airspeed up. I'm slow getting back to the stick. I need the extra speed, as by the time I'm back on the sticks it is gliding normally. I never was successful with any hand launched airplane doing it like you suggest. CG's are perfect and weights usually came in under specs. I got the Ascent because my first glider, an EFlite Odyssey just didn't fly with the power system it had. I appreciate all you guys writing and helping me. Since I build most everything nowadays, I'm still looking for a sailplane that I can build from plans that at least looks like one of the scale planes. Most of the commercial planes I've seen that are scale looking consistently have a Mabuchi 540/550 brushed motor that is just too weak for the plane they put it in. So, I'm still looking.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:25 AM
panzerd18

I'm flying a Model Tech Angel 1.6m wingspan. It is 2-channel and I plan to fit a speed 540 motor and folding prop so I can stay up longer than 45seconds on the bungee

Quick Reply: What glider/sailplanes are you flying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15123 seconds with 13 queries