3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Anyone have this 3D Spirit ARF??

Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Hodakaguy

Default Anyone have this 3D Spirit ARF??

Anyone flying this plane? Looks pretty nice but I'd like to hear from someone that has one and has flown it. Anyone?

Here's the link to it: http://eflightstuff.com/electrics/3Dspirit.htm

Thanks,

Hodakaguy
Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
chascomp

Default 3D Spirit

I have just purchased the 3D Spirit from Atlantic Hobbies. Definitely a class 'A' kit. You basically have to install your electronics and start flying. Very well built plane with a lot of cross bracing.
the elevator and rudder are pre-tab and fit together for install. Lining them up with the wing is almost automatic. The wing is huge which should make it a good 3D slow flyer. The bevel cut are already done for you and all joints are super smooth. I don't expect any servo drag.

I have a small football size park across from where I live. I have purchased a couple of smaller 3D planes to take advantage of this. Two other planes I have bought are the Addiction purchased from Atlantic Hobbies and the Edge 540 purchase from 3D Hobbies. Both companies specailize in 3D electric. Both are super performers and I expect the 3D Spirit to be as well. These are under 40" high end 3d performers. And are built identicle to the full size big brothers, just smaller.

I live in Florida and we are in the middle of a cold spell (50 degrees) As soon as it breaks I will let you know how the Spirit flies. I can tell you just by looking at it that I expect this to be a great performer.

Chas.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:54 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Where are you at in Fl. Chas? I'm in Clermont right near Wally World. Jeez, the last 2 mornings there was frost on the ground-bah humbug!

Jason
Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 PM
chascomp

Post Near Clearwater, Fl.

Actually I just looked outside and the wind has calmed down enough to where I think I'll put one in the air!
My Addiction 3D is made by Precision Aerobatics and is one of the best and most forgiving under 40" 3D planes I have ever flown. It is all carbon reinforced and can really take some radicle manuevers. I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but both planes where bought at Atlantic Hobbies. If I may sugjest google it and you will see the best selection of 3D that I have been able to find. Most have movies in the description page so you can get a good feel for the plane before you buy it. They have a great right up on the 3D Spirit, if that is what you are looking for. I don't think it is as gooe as the 'Addiction.' But I would give it a good second.

What are you looking for in a plane?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
chascomp

Default 3D planes

I see from your sight that you post 3D Hobbyshop. Have you looked at thier new 40" Edge 540?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
EDFrules

I've looked at it but I'm trying to stay away from smaller planes. The next one I get from 3DHS is the new Vyper 3D/precision hybrid. 46" WS. Smallest I want to go in balsa. I'm really waiting for the larger 70" version! I've got the 87" Extra 300 SHP and that is just the bomb diggity. But for the 40" size the 540 is sweet. They just announced the 40" Extra 300 SHP and the 42" Slick. If you're into that sized plane you're going to have lots of 3DHS choices soon!
Also a Giant Scale Fly-In @ Fantasy of Flight in Lakeland on Feb. 21st. We'll be there with the Extra(bet it's one of the only e-powered birds there). Should be fun.

Regards,
Jason
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 PM
chascomp

Default 3D Spirit

Now you have me confused because the 3D Spirit I am refering to is a 39" wing. I clicked on the 'site' you had and it said it was expired. I am talking about oranges and you are talking about grapefruit.

I have my 'airport size' planes and my backyard size. From 3DH I have the 300SR 47". I little on the 'touchy' side, but what a performer. With a motrofly 2820 I would put it in the 'rocket' class. It goes straight up like it isn't going to come back down. 3DH is electric performance and quality thru and thru! Just don't make phone calls (ha ha) use the website. That's a private joke for anyone who buys form 3DH. Good guys but sometimes hard to get a hold of. They always get back to you and offer a radical product, pure precision...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 PM
EDFrules

http://www.greenmodelusa.com/3Dspirit.html
Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 PM
chascomp

That is the same one I just bought for $99.00
Old 01-23-2009, 10:18 PM
EDFrules

You can give Hodakaguy a report when you get it airborne. Otherwise for durability(esecially harrier landings) I would go with 3DHS. By adding a little Sumo glue around the landing gear plate area you can greatly increase the durability during rough field landings. I think that is recommended in the instructions you get with most 3DHS planes. And Ben makes them to abuse-he's one of the worst offenders!LOL I enjoy talking with Ben, he's a hoot and knowledgable to boot. That is if you can get thru these days. 3DHS planes are in super demand and with all the new planes coming out he'll be busy for sure-e-mails are the way to go!

Jason
Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 AM
chascomp

Yeh Ben puts out a good product. I like the fact that everything is top shelf. No need to buy extras for that little extra precision. It's in the kit. the Edge 540 40" flies almost identicle to the SHP. It floats a little in high turns. But I'm still dailing it in. I have had it in gusty 20mph and just gave it a little extra gas and she made me proud. The is #3 from Ben. I need a little more skill before I get much larger than 57". Although I've heard the larger, the smoother they get. Nice talkin to ya. It's Olive Garden time. Wife's treatin. See ya, Chas
Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
chascomp

Default 3D Sprit ( excuse the pictures didn't work)

3D SPIRIT:
[IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/Chas/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/Chas/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image004.jpg[/IMG]Jason: Rain; Rain;Wind! Wind! Wind! Iím sitting hear looking at the finished product just waiting to bust my cherry! Ive got this thing maxíd out. Ready to fly out of site!

I have made a few adjustments to make everything fit and balance out. Just call this my Power! Power! Option.
Under the hood is an Eflite 450 capable of 175 watts. Iím using a Rhino 1350 mah 25c and a 11x7 prop.
I put it on a DPR-100 Power recorder. Here are the results:
Max amps: 19.78
Max volts: 12.33
Max power: 220.13
Power at mid throttle:72 // at ĺ throttle 132. // and full out: 216

Now the trick was to squeeze the battery in there and still get a center of gravity that was acceptable. Not Easy! Finally I had to insert the battery from the canopy opening. It goes in on an angle resting on the wing shaft. The fit is perfect and
Tight. I am using a twisty just to make myself feel good, but trust me. That battery is not going to move. CG was right on doing this setup. My esc is on the firewall right behind the motor. A little sponge tape and a plastic tie. The receiver is further back, just behind where the wings screw together. Moving the receiver gave me the fine tuning I needed to get the CG right on.

Iím running heavy at 19 ounces, but Iím not really worried. With the power I am producing and the size of the wings on this pretty little thing, she should still float good at low speed. I have two other planes in this category and I am running heavy on both and you would never know it.

The wind has been terrible here so I have been sitting in my garage waiting for a break to get it up. I have a ďgizmoĒ I have made to where I can fly a plane in the garage under power. I have used some old suspenders tied off to the support angle on my garage door rail. Then I attach a counter balance to allow the elastic in the suspender to stretch a little. I can go full throttle and play with the controls. I canít do rolls or anything like that, but I can fly around a little and get a feel for the plane.

The spirit goes vertical at half throttle and there is more than enough power to get out of trouble. Once I have a chance to get airborne I will try a little less pitch on the propeller. I have had good luck with 7Ē pitch on smaller 3Dís like this. They are so light that handling harriers is still pretty easy. Well not much else to say til the wind slows down.

I just love the yellow. It lets the wood show through. The plane looks like an older model converted for 3D. The lines are just beautiful on this planeÖ
Old 01-31-2009, 03:17 AM
EDFrules

Good luck with your maiden. I'd watch that 11 x 7 prop on the 450. It can only handle an 11 x 3.8. The only motor I've used that can swing an 11 x 7 is a MicroDan 2510-3D(within specs). I didn't think a 7" pitch would be favorable for 3D but testing proved otherwise. Gives good penetration in windy conditions and still delivers hover punch out power. We've used the MD 2510 with the 11 x 7(Dan optimized the 2510-3D just for the 11 x 7) on several planes and it's been stellar. Let's see some pics/vids!

Jason
Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
chascomp

Exclamation The art of learning "Threads." Time for Take off!

Okay, I think I need help posting pictures. Yes I'm new to posting.
I just went outside (7:46 am). It's colder than a witches barnicle but little wind. Cold or not I just got to get this thing in the air! I'll bring some extra props. I'm using the 1350mah battery because it is all I have on hand. I would really like a 1200mah, just for the size. If you check weights from 1000mah to 1350mah, there is not much difference. The issue is space in the battery compartment. That is why I have the battery over the 'wing shaft' in the cockpit. The odd thing is that it balances out perfect there. This plane is very touchy when it comes to 'balance' An 1/8" and it wants to tip. Well wish me luck. Wish I had a camera man...
Old 01-31-2009, 04:06 PM
chascomp

Build Review Flight #1 3D Spirit

49 degrees is not "flying weather" when you live in Florida. The only good thing is if you knees knock, you can blame it on the weather, not your nerves!
I fly in a park where the grass is cut. About the size of a soccer field surrounded by very large trees. The Spirit flew inside the trees as if it had all the room in the world. My wheels were too small so I did a vertical take off. I had the C.G. perfect so I didn't have to hassle with trim. I got right into it. SMOOTH, smooth, smooth. Very responsive without being 'touchy.' It had a good feel and ran at 1/4 throttle. I tried to get into a harrier and it was a little too 'rocky' so a 10x5 prop would be my next choice. The plane is just so light that even with a 10x5 she would have all the speed you could want .
It cuts tight circles one after another. When I opened the diameter it wanted to fall out to the right (adjustment) When I was building this plane I notice a lot of offset on the motor mount. Maybe a little too much.

You know how first flights go. However the Spirit responded so well I found it hard to hold back. Again with the 11x7 prop I had more top end than what I needed and went vertical at half throttle. She spun like a top and kept tracking well.

She glided like the best of gliders and took so little to keep it in the air that, again a smaller prop was evident. A little more low end torque would give it more control.

After the basics I started getting just a little too brave. And you know what that means TROUBLE!!! At half to 3/4 throttle I went into some serious torque rolls and spun out, full power, strait up. Here I am looking at my plane with the motor hanging on the side of my plane! Not a good location. I blew the motor right out of the motor box. I really didn't like the way the motor box was designed with those 'nipples' outside the box for the mounting screws....

The good news is I got the plane down with zero damage! (other than the motor hitch hiking on the side) I had control bringing it down, but it still hit pretty hard due to my lack of control with the motor bouncing around. I was impressed at the strength of the build,

Personally I would consider some work on the motor mount before flying or go with less power and a smaller battery. I was up for 9 minutes and my batteries were at 3.74! So there was still some battery left. I am going to keep the Eflite 450 in there as the weight to power ratio works for me. However a 1200mah battery is on my list.

RESULTS: I have a plane called a 3D Addiction 40" made buy Aeroworks. My favorite for this flying space. A very radical 3D plane that just flies and flies and takes everything I can throw at it. Compared to that, the 3D Spirit is a graceful 'Princess', that after some radio adjustment will be a joy to fly. It is a slow flyer with 3D and gracful aerobatic capabilities, FIVE BARS ALL DAY LONG.

CHAS...
P.S. How do I get pictures into this format? A little help, please...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	92176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0573_1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	92177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575_1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	92178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576_1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	92179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577_1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	92180  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	92181  
Old 01-31-2009, 06:40 PM
EDFrules

Looks like you got pics posted OK. Glad you got her back in one piece. Have fun flying it. Yeah the weather blows right now! My shop is freezing. Can't wait for it to get warmer.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM
littlephoenix

ive got this plane, its one wicked fun plane to fly i tellya, here is my video, hope you like it
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXRrHN-Mhgk[/media]