Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #26
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

4kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by fq06 View Post

Another question...
On the balance tab you can choose balance speed, 1x or 16x... more is always better right?
Just wanted to see if you know what that does before I messed with the setting.
Nice thing about these Cellpro chargers, the programming only requires the user to specify cell chemistry type, charging rate and a few other things. You do not have to specify how many cells when charging with the balance function.

The Cellpro charger uses its balance cable to automatically select how many cells are being charged.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yep, I charged a pack as soon as I updated to make sure I got it right. That worked.

I agree, charges better than my cheap HK charger as would be expected.

FYI, the computer screen for the Cellprocharger allows the user to put in his name and phone number. Your name and phone number then shows up when the Cellpro charger is powered up.

Go to the "Options" tab, and look at the "Visual Settings". Below the "European Comma decimal" are two fields. You can type in your name in the top field, your phone number in the bottom field to the left of the "V3.21" software version of the Cellpro charger.

(Note that the phone number must be entered as 5556667777, no dashes)

Now, when you power up the charger, the LCD screen shows as follows:

"Your Name"
"5556667777" V3.21
or the current software version.

DennyV
Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Anyone use one of these with a mac?
Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #29
fq06

Friends: (1)

Yes, I leave it on auto detect cells.
I set up multiple profiles for different packs though. Like before I could get past 10A I had a 6.5 & 7.2 amp charge profile for 1c charges on my two 6500 packs and one 7200 pack and a fast charge profile at 10A.

Now I will set up a 13A and 14.4A profile for 2C charges and a third at 7.2 for when I have excess time between heats and am just looking for a (approximately) 1C charge.

I also have profiles for my tx pack charge and storage that's set for the wanted amp setting for that specific pack. And of course the standard storage profile for the trucks packs set at 7.2 charge and 7.2 discharge. Nice to be able to discharge at a rate higher than 5A also

I will check out the if lost call me mod that you mentioned... very nice!

Not being able to charge higher than 10A was a little annoying, annoying enough for me to start this thread. But the charge time at 10A was not that far off my old HC charger at 20A I guess because of how this balances and can push more juice to the lower cells than most chargers so I have ran it that way from the beginning.
Now that the world is my oyster charging over 10A, this is like a summer fling again

Was a driver, then I was a pilot, now I'm a driver again
Old 05-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #30
fq06

I think I just sparked another question...

Since the pack is able to discharge at more than 500A or close to it (7200 70c) I should be able to discharge at say 20A or even 40A without issues right?

@turner... I'm running PC so not sure.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
Turner
Super Contributor

Internal discharge 10mA to 8A, 50W max. Regenerative discharge 10mA to 40A, 1000W max.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
fq06

8A it is then... thanx for that.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #33
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

8A it is then... thanx for that.
If it's limited to 50W (seems low for a charger of this power?) then you wont be able to quite get 8A on a fully charged 2s battery because doing so would exceed the 50W limit.

BTW.. the 'theoretical' 500Amp battery discharge limit is pie in the sky.. just made up marketing numbers basically. Besides anything else 500A would require huge wire gauge. For instance 10AWG wire is limited to about 120A.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #34
fq06

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
If it's limited to 50W (seems low for a charger of this power?) then you wont be able to quite get 8A on a fully charged 2s battery because doing so would exceed the 50W limit.

BTW.. the 'theoretical' 500Amp battery discharge limit is pie in the sky.. just made up marketing numbers basically. Besides anything else 500A would require huge wire gauge. For instance 10AWG wire is limited to about 120A.
Yeah, figured I would get about 6 amps or so with the low 50w but will set it to max 8 and let it do its thing.

Of course you wouldn't want your power setup to ask for anywhere near the limit of the lipo...about half is a good rule of thumb. My motor probably pulls a little over 180a max draw on a 220A per phase ESC. I run 12g wire and its warm but not hot.

Out of curiosity I will discharge after work and post back with what amperage it gets up to.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #35
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Of course you wouldn't want your power setup to ask for anywhere near the limit of the lipo...about half is a good rule of thumb. My motor probably pulls a little over 180a max draw on a 220A per phase ESC. I run 12g wire and its warm but not hot.
If you want to be able to easily measure very high DC currents, check out the Sears Craftsman #82369 digital AC And DC clamp on ammeter for just under $60.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482369000P

This allows measuring DC currents in two ranges, 0-40 Amps, and 0-400 Amps, simply by clamping the meters jaws around ONE of the battery leads. Also note that most clamp on ammeters are AC only, not useful for our stuff.

I've got one, and take it along to the flying field whenever I go there. Makes it easy to check other members electric setups without needing adapter cables and such. This meter also has the usual resistance, AC and DC voltage, frequency, and even has a thermocouple type digital thermometer.

DennyV
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
fq06

I would only get a bench reading with no load though. On a plane you have load in the air or on the bench.
Wouldn't be able to drive with that on the truck... not for long at least

Not sure I could get a reading other than with an eagle tree. My power lines go straight from the ESC to the pack and plug in with bullet connectors. A Watts up meter would need to be plugged inline to get a reading.

I did use a meter for my planes when I was flying and they are very useful.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #37
Turner
Super Contributor

Old 05-18-2013, 03:41 AM   #38
fq06

7200mah pack 70c 504A discharge. But the C ratings are questionable.

From revolectrix, crazy discharge if you have a car battery to hook it up to

Output battery discharge current: Internal discharge 10mA to 8A, 50W max Regenerative discharge 10mA to 40A, 1000W max**
But with...
** Please check bullet number 9 in the section titled “Major Features” (Features tab) for a detailed description of Regenerative Discharge

Followed to this

Environmentally friendly, industry first, regenerative discharge capability of up to 1000W. Unlike traditional methods of discharge, which deplete the output battery's energy in the form of heat across a transistor, regenerative discharge takes most of that energy and puts it back into the input battery. In other words, when you discharge your LiPo for storage, you will be re-charging your Lead Acid input battery. The total amount of power that you can achieve is limited only by the amount of current that your input battery can accept, or 1000W, whichever is lower.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #39
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Not sure where you are getting that number. Specs say regenerative discharge is limited to 40A.
Yep, as per post above.. I was referring to the claimed battery discharge limit, not the charger's. (that's why I said 'battery')
Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yep, as per post above.. I was referring to the claimed battery discharge limit, not the charger's. (that's why I said 'battery')
Okay, I missed that.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #41
Gregor

Friends: (0)

Hey guys. High power charging is available on the Powerlab6 using preset #3. No need to connect to the PC or perform any special unlocking.

Also note that the presets specifically tuned for each level of current they provide. Presets 1 and 2 are tuned for 2 amp through 10 amps. High Power presets are tuned for 10 amps through 40 amps. The small balanced and unbalance are tuned for 10ma through 2 amps. Its not a problem using the wrong preset. Its the just the charger will work more efficiently and precisely when using the right preset for the right charging scenario.

For those interested there a high power accurate preset in the library. This lowers the termination current from c/10 to c/20. Not required but some users wanted that preset so FMA obliged.

The only necessary changes to do default settings are increasing the power supply limit (if required) default is 25 amps, and changing the wiring mode from FMA to JST-Xh IF you are using an MPA or parallel board. If you are using FMA boards (other than the MPA and SPA) leave this at the default.

Here's a little more

FAQ - Powerlab Quick Start Guide - Wiring modes, Supply Limits and 1s charging
Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #42
Turner
Super Contributor

Thanks for that information and the link. Preciate it.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #43
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

7200mah pack 70c 504A discharge. But the C ratings are questionable.
H'mmm
7200 Mah, or 7.2 Amp Hours times 70C is 504 Amps. What size wire is the power leads on that battery?

FYI, #12 wire melts at around 350 Amps.

I've got a bit of experience with these high currents at work. In fact I've got equipment at home to generate 1200 Amps at about 1.5 Volts AC. (It uses 30 pound current transformers with back feeding to get the high current.) We routinely worked with 1000 Amps plus, and our circuit breaker test cells have a maximum available current of 14,000 Amps. That's with a 400 VAC source. It's pulling 225 Amps on the 24.9 Kilovolt input.

We had our transformer division manufacture custom transformers with a 24.9 KV primary for this purpose. And, we had to co-ordinate our test cells with the local electric utility, so we would not trip out their breakers during our routine fault testing.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct