Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Hobby Lobby's Mig-21

Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Default Hobby Lobby's Mig-21

The Mig-21 is a precut and painted all EPP foam pusher that should hold up to some abuse and keep flying. Like always I rarely follow the instructions on the recommended power plant and choose something lighter and with less amp draw. I went with a 24 gram 1300kv Hextronic outrunner spinning a APC 7x6 prop drawing 6 amps off a 20C 800 3 cell.

While its no real speed demon it offeres plenty of flight time, Fair vertical performance and speeds in the mid 50s. The plane slows down and handles well in high alpha flight and as one would expect has a fantastic roll rate. Its one of those planes you can just fly into your hand for a landing.

The Good:

Its made of EPP foam thats super durable. All parts fit well and needed no mods by me. The detail in the paint was very good and its on the foam to stay. Flies well, Is quite for a pusher and rarely seen at many fields.

The Bad:

While not really bad if I had to do this over again I would go with a pair of 6gr servos for the ailirons. Cutting a hold in each side of the fuse to hold them in place and plugging them into a Y-Cable. Here's the reason why, Theirs no precut slots for the control rods to leave the body and lots of foam needed to be removed to make everything line up.

The other sticking point is once the lower half of the fuse is glued on theres no access to anything without cutting into the belly. Changing out a motor, ESC or servo means carefully carving out the center and glueing it back into place. You also need to cut foam for a battery buts thats pretty minor and is needed to fit the size of your pack snugly.

Results:

For a plane to stay in my fleet it must have a wide speed range and still be fun to fly. If it wont slow down and handle well I simply dont want it, Heck even my Funjet can do that. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give this a 6.5 for it looks and flyablity. (Is that a real word?) So it stays in the fleet and at some point will be upgraded to a faster motor but for now I happy with it.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/free-air-jets.htm

Kosh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7476 (Large).JPG
Views:	309
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	91033   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7477 (Large).JPG
Views:	263
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	91034   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7478 (Large).JPG
Views:	241
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	91035   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7479 (Large).JPG
Views:	272
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	91036   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7480 (Large).JPG
Views:	284
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	91037  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7474 (Large).JPG
Views:	273
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	91038  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

Looks like a fun little take-anywhere parkflyer. I'm partial to pusher-propjets myself. Seems like a mod could be done to make the lower fuse half removable, for example with a couple of screw-posts, or velcro.

But I've always thought that those kits are priced awfully darn steep for what they are...several pieces of cutout&painted EPP that go together into a smallish airframe shouldn't cost 78 bucks. Seems more like something that you would see at the checkout counter at the LHS in a plastic bag, as a $19 impulse-buy. (Heck, you can currently buy the H-L/SFM "Executive Jet" kit now for just four dollars more than one of those!)
Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I had thought about converting one of those to EDF, but a scale airfoil would have made it more appealing. The EPP is harder to hack also.
Interesting that there's so many F4s, Skyhawks, etc out there, but no decent foam Mig21 EDFs that I know of.

I built a Mig 21 a few years back, but shelved it after realizing that it would need a very powerful motor for the EDF64 setup. It probably would make a good pusher, and would be easy to do.

Herk I think you will see these get cheaper. HL has admitted that they need to drop prices, with the lowering of Alfa and executive jet prices lately. My feelings too: should be 20 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig_21_21comp_resize.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	91075  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I have to admit the big price on this kept me from dropping the hammer on it before. But at 20% off and free shipping during the holidays I couldn't resist. The main attraction to me was the fact that I was unlikely to see another of these at any local field and its durability.