Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Hobby Lobby's new "Hawk"

Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Default Hobby Lobby's new "Hawk"

Has anyone had a chance to fly this "new" plane from HL?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hawk.htm

It looks a little like the Skimmer (which unfortuntely they no longer carry), it's also an ARF.

Has anybody gotten their grubby little hands on one of these birds? How do they fly? Easy for beginners aor better for more advanced flyers? It doesn't look like there is too much dihedral in the wings, and it is a four channel plane.

It certainly is a pretty bird.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

The HL site says it won't be in stock till the end of November. Looks like a nice package. If you have a coach/instructor, I am sure it could be a good first plane. But if you are learning on your own, I would go with an Easy Glider or a Radian. the foam will be harder to break and easier to fix.

This looks like a good second glider for somone learing on their own.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Did you buy the Hawk? What do you think?

Anyone else have the Hawk?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Epoxycup

Default Hawk

Hi

I had a chance to fly a friends Hawk but only for a few minutes. The brushless motor it comes with is plenty of power, in fact pretty zippy.
I can't say how it would thermal, but it seems to float OK, not like a gentle lady does, but not a rock either.
Quality seems good for cost, and I like ailerons, needs differential mix ,probably, to make smooth flat turns for thermal hunting. All-in-all a good glider considering the motor and ESC are included.
By the way, my friend's came without the break on setting, so the prop just whirled around applying drag when the power was off. I searched around and finally found the instructions for the esc, and with break set to on the prop folds nicely and the glider is happy. I will try to post them here if anyone has a need.
Attached Files
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Epoxycup

Default instructions

I,m not sure if the attachment was lost so posting again.
Attached Files
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Thanks for posting the info. I have seen the same problem with the Ascent PNP model. The ESC came set off on my friend's plane. Totally killed the glide. After some hunting we found out how to set it and now the plane fllies great!

Anyone have a HL Hawk? We want to hear about your experience!