Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Sailplanes, EP,TD, DLG, Slope, DS, PSS, Scale

Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Thermalrunner View Post
I guys - I now have a Discus CS 2.6M sailplane and have metal gear servos for the Ailerons, and a Mini Hitec high torque for the rudder. Any suggestions for the elevator servo? I have a micro e-flite with good torque off a Heli a friend had, is it too light? It fits just right. The elevator hatch is pretty small.
Thanks in advance,
Dean
Let's see, you have a mystery servo and you want us to judge if it is good enough. Some reason you don't want to tell us the model or provide the torque specs?

Personally I feel the most important servo on a glider is the elevator servo. So that is the one that is worth the most money. Perhaps that will be helpful in making your judgement
Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Thermalrunner

Okay, well, maybe because I don't know- interesting accusation for a community moderator. I bought a Hitec metal gear, high torque to be safe. And good luck with the bedside manner.

Thanks anyway, Aeajr.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Thermalrunner

I was asking for advice- not trying to hide something. You are a rude, despite your awards. To many other nice people on other groups.

Last edited by Thermalrunner; 06-17-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: too harsh
Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I was trying to make a point. I appologize for getting a little too emphatic with my statement.

When you ask a question or advice you have to give people something to go on. You provided nothing we could use to advise you. YOu didn't even tell us you didn't know anything about the servo.

Then you asked advice based on a total lack of information. I was trying to help you see how that does not work.

Again, I appologize for any rudeness in my post.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 AM
StephenW

Gents,
I have owned most of these type of gliders some I still have some I've sold off .
one of those was the Discus cs ,Because the servo is mounted in the fin and the moment arm is so short and a direct drive I used a run of the mill 9gram servo .
The servo brand Ive used is Hextronik HXT900 they have a 1.5 kg torque rating
and because of such a short moment arm full use of that torque is availble to the surface ,if your micro servo is rated to that sort of torque value then it will do the job if it isnt then source some Hextronic ones IMHO.
SteveW

Last edited by StephenW; 06-17-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Thermalrunner

Thank you and sorry for my behavior.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 AM
StephenW

I guess we all have our moments this internet thing can cause some drama at times because the written word can be taken the wrong way with great ease . As I'm sure this is the case with AEAJR whom did apologize for it so I'd say smile and carry on we are all friends here
SteveW
Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
ArneH
Balsa Builder

Default Mini DLGs.

Just like many others I want to try DLG. I am used to Hand Launch, but discus throwing is new for me.
I like the smaller models that do not need the large space to fly. I intend to start with a simple inexpensive model like this from Hong Kong:

Just to find out if my "not so young longer" arm and shoulder still tolerate this form of action.
Just remember to warm up the joints before throwing. This little 1,2 m. 2 channel DLG is on its way to me with EMS right now. And I cant wait to start a new adventure in the noble sport of RC soaring.
I also got a very good offer I couldn't resist from my contacts in Russia. The 1m Neon DLG. This one cost a bit more, and there is a waiting list. But I know they are ready molded now. And I will have it in a few weeks.

I have burned all my Summer Holiday money now. So my plans for this summer, are staying home in Norway learning the art of DLG. Looks like a great form of Summer Vacation for me and my boys.
I will say Thank You to Watt Flyer for creating the Electric Sailplane Forum. I will write some flight (or crash) reports here, when I receive my small gliders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	neon 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	130523  
Old 06-17-2010, 05:30 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Good luck on your new form of saiplaning! I think you will really like it. Your in a great area for thermals! I lived in Oslo for a bit, HUGE lift in that area!! Your kids will love this as well! Nice to see your getting them interested in something they can do OUTDOORS!!!!
GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM
ArneH
Balsa Builder

Takk skal du ha TM4197! (Thanks a lot TM4197).
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

velkomstsiden!!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 PM
StephenW

Default Jet age and prop age meet at last

Having finished My Fouga 90 I could turn my attention to repair the minor damage sustained by my Bearcat on its last outing and being able to have the bear back in 1 piece it was time to meet its hanger buddy, so here's the Fouga and Bearcat together at last. And before someone say they are in the wrong thread ,they are PSS models Put wing tip to wing tip they cover 5.2 mtrs
SteveW with a hurricane on the bench as well.

Name:	DSCF5145.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	131037   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5148.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	131038  
Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Two Beauties!

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for posting the photos, you have a couple of great-looking models!
There must be some big slope lift in your area!
Good Flying and hope to see photos of the Hurricane when it's done,
Ron
Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

a new title for the sail plane forum....very nice! a quick note on the areocraft skimmer 600, I'm already getting 20min flights regularly now as i needed to monitor the battery draw from motor burst to altitude and soaring around while learning to control with minimal input to reduce drag.

yesterday i had three flights with variable direction winds that went from light to moderate[3-8mph],i was up and searching around for where the lift might be best when a hawk circled around the end of the field by the tree line.....he[or she] never flap wings at all and clearly theres lift there....so i went over as the hawk circled away and the skimmer hung there in slow smooth circles for longest flight time yet within between power up to regain altitude......i was so at peace floating around in that spot that i lost track of time,my neck got soar. i would loose altitude but would rocket verticale climb under power for 15 20 seconds and cicle around some more .

the club safety/flight line guy also flew a glider there with the same results,he then flew past [over ]the flight line which i thought was a no no. gliders are allowed to soar there ,but not gas powered planes.

when i get back from vacation, I'll take a beach chair that sits low ,is easy to keep in the car and it reclines complete with a little pillow....i better set the timer for sure as the motor i have in the skimmer rockets to heights in seconds...then its poweroff....and float away.

the field I'm at has slopes on all sides as its located on top of a closed land fill,the slope might be 75 to 100ft high.....is it possible to slope soar on a windy day? time will tell what i can and can't do .got a lot to learn. hoping to get a few lessons from the local hawks..lol....
Old 06-28-2010, 01:18 AM
StephenW

Default the slope

This is the launch zone for the slope we fly these models at.
SteveW

Name:	DSCF4539.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	131045  
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 AM
ArneH
Balsa Builder

Yes Stephen!! Your slope Aircraft are extremely cool! Haven't seen many of these here up North.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:43 AM
ArneH
Balsa Builder

Stuart. There is nothing like a good balsa model. I have been following your adventure with the Skimmer, and it looks great.
I am in the middle of a balsa build myself, but not a glider. Beside the put together of the DLGs. Maybe a Skimmer as a winter project, when I have finished all my other projects. Watch the skimmer well, as it seems to fly high up and far away.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

steve,thats some site you all fly at....whats the height of the slope?...it would be fun to run a hangglider off the edge.

arne, the skimmer was a very fun build,you know the relaxing kind,i'm glade i put ailerons on it as it will turn very quickly...the motor is very powerful,i forgot to mention that in all out throttle the wing begin to noticeably flap,not just flutter . it was in a dive wot and i saw the wings shake .won't be testing structuale strength ,if i get to steep into a dive i better be careful pulling up .

before i got married 23 years ago i flew a hangglider ,moyeswing esprite at ellenville ny. after 2 years there i took a 30 day road trip cross country and flew in tennasee"" lookout mountain,also flew a dunne in utah in 25mph+ winds that blew everyday and switched direction in the evening.dune was only 200' high and good pilots would travel the dune in the day and when the winds switch they would stay aloft and switch to the other side the was mountian flying .i didn't do to well there,flew the edge of the dune,dropped back to land ,only to get blown over into a great ground loop. i didn't know to step out front and hold the nose of the wing into the wind so it would trim itsself a could be held with one hand...lol....i grabed on to the controlbar to fight the lift with my body weight. the wind won. [i must have looked very funny to the locals]

the best site of all was the forest at californa ,dunlap flight park.3800' above the landing zone.a ramp launch ,thermals wisked me up to 7000' at a rate to loose your lunch by. then when landing ,there was a area called the rock,beautiful thermal lift to make landing a chore.of several flights there the funnyest was my trying to gain lift and when i climbed 2000' above launch my hand began to freeze,i grabed the glove cliped to a flight wire and lost all the gain in height to traverse in front of the ramp for several minute...it was bumpy and i decided to land...no sooner had i begun flying away from the hill then a thermal grabed hold and i spun circles to climb out to 7000' above the lz .what a site to see the tall pine turn small before my eyes. this was the first time i ever turn green and thought i was going to puke. i bee lined it to lz only to be held up by another pilot enjoying the lift of the rock...i was 300' above him yelling[i knew he couldn't hear]"go down or i'll puke on you!"once i got down it was all a great story to tell the guys on the camping area.

the good old days....great memories.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 AM
StephenW

Stuart,

Mt Borah is the site of the 2007 paragliding world champonships
here the promo from last years slope fest
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2EYCIiD5E&feature=player_embedded[/media]

BTW you may have heard about this
Ewa Wisnierska, 35, the top-ranked woman paraglider pilot in the world, was practising for this month's world championships at Manilla, in northeast NSW, when she was sent hurtling up to 9900m - 1000m higher than Mt Everest - as she attempted to fly between two storm cells on Wednesday afternoon.
that was in 2007

SteveW
Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 AM
ArneH
Balsa Builder

You have a great site! Like the place to land on the top! My every day problems are to many trees and bushes.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
StephenW

Default landing area

Arne,
the launch Landing area on all 4 launch sites are cover with astro turf bit of a problem to slow up on through there is also a 15 mtr wide 300 mtr long grass strip on top Stil l would love to fly some of the slopes in Norway with out doubt one day maybe.
SteveW
Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

9900 meters.........over 32,000 ft up, was she outfitted with a small oxygen supply? thats a very cold place she flew up to. i believe it though....paragliders are at the mercy of a strong thermal,in fact i read of the parasails colapsing do to turbalancein thermals. i had a double surface 180 glider that flew my 200 lbs very easy.all i would do is pull in the control bar and sprial down even on those wonder wind days i never had issues.

a wonder wind day is when a pilot flys away from the mountain over the lz [landing zone] and there s lift everywhere.i remeber a day at ellenville ny that everyone landed except a newbe pilot who couldn't break thru the lift....it was a beautiful sunset when i landed and we put headlights on the lz as the newbe finaly came down...lol....he should have flown futher away from the lift zone but was affaid....all good fun.

i don't want to hijack the thread,its not about past thrills...lol.some day i'll share my crash story where i was nicknamed "rc"
Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Sounds like that Skimmer is having a great time in the air.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 AM
StephenW

Default My Manilla Slope Fest 2010 fleet

well this is the slopies I'm taking to the event this year, simply becuase thats all that will fit in the car thought you all may enjoy a peek at some of the aircraft in my hanger.
SteveW

Name:	DSCF5197.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	133547  
Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
ArneH
Balsa Builder

You have some really cool Slopers Steve! Interesting to spot the different type of models flying at the Slope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15495 seconds with 20 queries