Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Trainers, Choices Available?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Glen B

Default Trainers, Choices Available?

I have a Hobbyzone Super Cub LP which I just received for my 58th birthday (I got to choose my gift).

I always like to window shop so I was wondering if there is a short list of good E Flight trainers along the lines of, but not limited to planes like the Nexstars, etc.?
Old 07-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Electric Trainer?

Hello Glen B, Welcome to Wattflyer!
I was wondering if there is a short list of good E Flight trainers along the lines of, but not limited to planes like the Nexstars, etc.?
Depends upon what you're looking for. A RTF (Ready to Fly) model like the Cub comes pretty much complete.
There are also ARF's (Almost Ready to Fly), the main difference being you (usually) supply your own radio and electronics. There also may be some minor assembly required.
The most work and time-intensive would be a kit (or Scratch build), starting with raw material and completely constructing the model.
Since you already have a RTF, I'll suggest a couple of foam ARF's that are great Electric Trainers.
First, the GWS Slow Stick. Assembled and flown by literally hundreds (maybe thousands!) of new electric flyers, it's one of the easiest-to-fly, foolproof models around.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCJ2
Next, a model that looks a bit more realistic and can be built as a 3-channel (rudder, elevator, throttle) trainer or with a 4th channel added, for ailerons. Parts are included for both versions. Motor, battery and other upgrades are available everywhere. GWS even makes floats for this model.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCL2
I'm sure you'll receive other good suggestions, but for foam ARFs, these are hard to beat!
Ron
Old 07-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Scarface26

In addition to Sky Sharkster's recommendations, I will add the HobbyZone Champ, which is still a 3 channel plane, and the T-28 Trojan which is a 4 channel w/ailerons.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

If you are getting comfortable with the Super Cub, I would look at a 4ch trainer like the others mentioned and advance your flying skills a bit.

I was a somewhat late comer to 4ch planes having flowing 3ch models for well over a year. I have a scratchbuilt foamy 4ch trainer now and I'm just starting to learn to fly it. I wish I had started sooner... I didn't know what I was missing out on!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:59 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
I have a Hobbyzone Super Cub LP which I just received for my 58th birthday (I got to choose my gift).

I always like to window shop so I was wondering if there is a short list of good E Flight trainers along the lines of, but not limited to planes like the Nexstars, etc.?

SkySharkster has some great info, as always - however when I think of 'good trainer', I always think of a four channel - that's my opinion of one requirement to making it good.

two planes that have aileron as options that are tough and nice:
Magpie: http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25_150
MSC Citabria: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-EPP-ARF-Red

My favorite 'complete' package currently is the eFlight Apprentice. (also available as BNF) I have several students with these and their flying quality never ceases to amaze me.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2725

our club trainer is a Sig Kadet 42e, which in any form is fantastic:
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...1Manu_02SIG_01
Although being built up balsa, is less forgiving for repairs from a bad impact.

And the plane I use to train students:
http://home.comcast.net/~darrelladams/airplanes/
Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Glen B

Thanks, lots of interesting stuff to look at and consider, in those posts.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Glen B

Here's a bit of information, for the sake of entertainment, about one of the guys at work who is getting into rc, actually, one of those who awakened my interest.

Here is what he has ordered for his first electric RC

http://www.bananahobby.com/1883.html

.................and this is with no experience or simulator time.

I think this is a case of the real one'a are tough enough to keep in the air and with the speed of that model, IMHO it is a recipie for "challenges". I know enough to know that something like that is tough to fly.

It is nice to be confident but I am glad I chose a Super Cub LP.

I hope it goes OK and he doesn't get discouraged.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Glen,

You made the perfect choice in trainer. It's the one that I started on over 2 years ago, and it's still working fine. Of course, it does not get the time that it deserves because it's sharing time with 12 other airplanes now, but it's still in perfect working order.

Your co-worker will very likely crash that plane within a few seconds. Unfortunately, our eyes tend to get the better of us sometimes.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Glen B

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
Of course, it does not get the time that it deserves because it's sharing time with 12 other airplanes now.
I said that that is a hazard for me, that I could wind up with a basment full of planes

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
Your co-worker will very likely crash that plane within a few seconds. Unfortunately, our eyes tend to get the better of us sometimes.
I tried to explain this sort of thing, but you have to admire confidence, even if it is misplaced. I did the math, at the advertized speed of 100 mph, if he kept it in the air, flew it straight and "flat out" on the thottle, in 9 to 10 seconds, it would be a 1/4 mile away

The simulator has taught me a few things, likw what is easier to fly and when you're new to the game, you can actually do something with a slower plane. I took a hard look at stuff like the Spitfire, myself (I was really into aviation history years ago) but I am pleased with my choice.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Wow, he may as well just burn the 150 bucks, the flames will last longer than his first flight.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Glen B

Originally Posted by Numbthumbs View Post
Wow, he may as well just burn the 150 bucks, the flames will last longer than his first flight.
Yes, since it has been in shipment, my question that I ask every couple days is; "Have you got the new lawn dart, yet?"
Old 07-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Don't forget the Mutiplex Mentor.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVEP7

A bigger foam bird, 4 channel.
Pretty much indestructible. Believe me I've tried. I've had several of it's predecessor the Magister, which was a trike version vs the Mentor's tail dragger.

You can buy it RTF or ARF if memory serves me. Going the ARF allows you to build to suite. My last one was set up that it could launch from a standard door (ala carrier launch). The one on the build table now I've added flaps to it, so maybe I can use a cabinet door to launch it instead of a regular door.