Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Warbird Build Contest, 2010 - Mountain Models / Laser Arts P-51

Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Wing Covered!

Well, what do you know. Covering the wing was not hard at all. I used 5 pieces of Silver SoLite on the bottom. (Center, 2 mids and 2 ends) Using smaller pieces of the SoLite let me handle it better and it didn't stick to itself and curl up..... I mounted the aileron servos after covering the bottom. This allowed easy routing of the wires. The aileron servo wires are just long enough to reach the center of the wing. So I added a small 1/16 balsa piece to the center of the wing and mounted the receiver to it. No servo extensions needed. The green Solite is much easier to use than the silver, but it also seems to be heavier. The top wing was covered with 4 pieces of Solite with the center open. Then two small pieces of red for each wing tip. The ailerons were attached with covering hinges. The control horns, push rods and the rest still need be added. All of this took about two hours tonight. (Last night was fireworks and parties....)

I put the wing on the fuselage for the first real look. I like what I see! Then I look at the inside of the fuselage. I don't like what I see. The ESC wires are getting tangled up in the open gear servo. I'll need to design some sort of wire keeper or wall it off.... I'll figure something out. Then I try test fitting the plastic radiator. Hmmm, it doesn't fit. Well I guess I still have a lot of work to do, but It looks like a plane now!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	131315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	131316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	131317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	131318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	131319  

Old 07-05-2010, 05:26 AM
balsa1

hi I see you choose not to use the CYM color skeam but a little note on that plane a good frend of mine was a crew chef on the CYM he past this last jan. But I degress The piolt that orginaly flew the plane rotated out and a new be came in on the first mission the plane didn't come back some forty years later the cheif wnt to a reunion and that piolt was there he had been captured the first thing Rubin the cheif did was go up to him and ask werreis my plane that was Rubins first concern Les
Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 AM
RUSH

Wow, you're really moving along on your build. Looks great! Looks like you could put a piece of balsa stick across the fuse and zip tie the ESC wires to it. Not sure how tight it is in there though.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Balsa1,

Great story! Yes I decided to not do a true color scheme from an actual plane. I am going with a scale "feel" from a couple different paint schemes. I still plan on adding invasion stripes and some other markings. I'm not sure which plane is the "CYA" plane. Can you post a pic or a link of it?

RUSH,
I am leaning towards adding a shelf in the fuselage. Even the ESC itself wants to be above the gear servo. If I can figure out a way to just tie them up out of the way, the I may do that. I need to stare at it and try a few things to see what works.

One more thing. I just weighed everything you see in the previous pics. 14 3/4 oz (Without Battery). So I think I will just about be at my target flying weight of 20 oz. I little heavy, but not bad with retracts...

Steve
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 AM
sincefeast
Banned

Smile Wholesale electronics in b2c-support : Car H1 25 SMD LED Xenon White Fog Head Beam L

Brand new and high quality
HID Xenon look, super bright white
Low heat output, low power consumption, long life expectancy
Easy to assemble, no connected wires required

Life: more than 50,000 hours
Suitable for car head light H1 socket
All bulbs are packaged safely

http://www.b2c-support.com/car-h1-25...bs-p-4121.html
more informatino and attracts please click the url.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM
park
Clear !

Originally Posted by sincefeast View Post
Low heat output, low power consumption, long life expectancy
Easy to assemble, no connected wires required

Life: more than 50,000 hours
Suitable for car head light H1 socket
All bulbs are packaged safely

more informatino and attracts please click the url.
Steve, when are you going to install one of these on your P-51

Last edited by Sky Sharkster; 07-07-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: remove link
Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sincefeast View Post
I just finished adding the landing lights. They weigh about 12 ozs each, so I only added 3. Now I can't take off, but I can drive at night!

Really, where did this come from ?? Don't click that link!

Steve
Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Getting there!

I did glue in the sick motor mount last night. I first inserted the stick with the motor attached. I then set the cowl in place and put on the spinner on the motor. I moved the stick in and out until I found what I believe is the sweet spot for getting everything to fit. The cowl is about at 50-70% of it's travel onto the fuselage with the spinner all the way back.... I tacked the stick with some thin CA on the rear most former to hold it temporarily. I then removed the spinner and cowl. Then glued the stick with a good bead of thick CA on both sides of each former it goes through.

Today I tried out a couple of props to get a feel for which one to start with. I'm using a E-Max 2215-25 950 kv motor. The E-Max web site lists two props and max current ratings. They range from 14.5 to 16 Amps for max. So I thought a target of about 15 Amps would be a good place to start. I used my WattsUp meter and a fresh 3S, 1600 mAh, 20C Zippy I have. Here are the Max Current figures I saw:

Prop Current
APC 10x5E 15.2 Amps
GP 10x4.5 SF 19.5 Amps
GWS 1170 19.6 Amps
APC 10x3.8 SF 16.7 Amps
GWS 1060 14.3 Amps

I plan to start with the APC 10x5E prop and see what happens.

I also finished installing the aileron servos and added invasion stripes to the wing. I used Black Solite and white Solar Trim. the Solar Trim is a little heavier, but easier to use than putting Solite Over Solite. I still have a couple of bubbles to get rid of. From a foot away it looks pretty good. I also still need to cut the landing gear free!

I can now smell the finish line! Maiden this week end ???

Steve

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	131418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0723.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	131419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	131420  

Last edited by Stevephoon; 07-07-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 AM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

woah doggie! can i maiden it for you? looks real nice! nice job on the painted cowl matching the solite. looks close in the pics.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Almost Done!

I pretty much worked on all of the details for most of the day today. I like what I see! But there was one big OOPS! I was mounting the landing gear cover brace on the landing gear wire. It takes a drop of thick CA to secure it to the landing gear wire. So it's in place, I've got my old bottle of thick CA and I give it a squeeze.... Nothing. Hmmm. Squeeze again. Nothing. So I move the bottle........ and a drop falls right on the GWS retract right where everything moves.........................

I tried to soak up everything I could, but I never did seem to get anything. The retracts still work, but they bind more than they used to. The glue must have not dropped directly into the retract unit, but something is not right. I lubed them up again, but they still sometimes bind up. They have not done that in a long time.

Well, tomorrow I'll check it out again and see what's up.

I did get everything put together and decorated. I still need to check out the CG and prep for flying.... But now I'm not sure when that will be.

I've added some Laser Decals for numbering/naming, logos... The stars and bars come with the kit. The plane is named after my wife and the large unit lettering is just my initials. The plane serial number is my AMA number.

Here are some pics of the finished product.

Steve

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	131443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	131444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	131445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	131446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	131447  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	131448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	131449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	131450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	131451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	131452  

Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 AM
spad

Very, very nice-maybe try pure acetone on a Q tip to remove the CA from your retract.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 AM
park
Clear !

She looks really great!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Great Job!

Hey Steve,
Fine job on the build! Hope it flies well.
Ron
Old 07-08-2010, 01:18 PM
RUSH

Hey Stevephoon,

That airframe looks great! An application of dullcote to the non-silver parts would make it look even better. Good luck to you on the maiden!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Maiden ???

Well, I tried to maiden this morning. I thought that since it was a pefect morning I should try it. The one gear is stuck down, but since the weather was right, I'd thought I'd try. That was a mistake. I started with a short flight on my Pocket Rocket. This was a trial run for my daughter who was playing camera woman. It was not a good landing. I broke a wheel when I touched down, but no other damage. (This is a bad sign isn't it.)

Well I range tested and did all of the things in AEAJRs flight list. Everything seemed fine. Turned on the camera and opened the throttle and the spinner flew off. It was only held with tape, so I thought no big deal. Try again without the spinner and again the plane nosed over and the prop stuck dirt and then broke, the one landing gear that's having problems folded.....

Oh well, see the video for yourself and have a good laugh.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUA_ibc6HAg[/media]

After a quick look over, the P-51 seems fine. I plan to replace the one retract that's been giving me trouble. I order two sets when I was buying parts for the kit. The spinner seems fine. I little paint was sraped off. Others have used tape for the spinner, so I don't think that was really the issue. The plane was nosing over and the prop struck the ground. Why ? Was the CG to far forward? Was the dirt infield I was flying on not allowing the wheels to move ? I'll have to find out after replacing the left retract unit.

Steve
Old 07-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Fixed

I did figure some of my issues out. The spinner was damaged, so I'm falling back to a 2 in Dubro spinner I bought earlier. It's just a touch small. The vacuum formed spinner included in the kit is 2 1/4 in. It's OK for now. It is heavier. My weight without the battery is now 15 1/2 oz.

I also replaced the left retract unit. The one I pulled out did have a little glue on the small piece that attaches to the push rod. I couldn't find any more glue anywhere so I'm still a little confused. I reused the landing gear wire with the wheel and wheel cover already attached. I also discovered something else. I reprogrammed my DX7 for this model at one point and I forgot to put back the gear max movement to +- 120 % The gear were no longer locking in the up and down positions. That's why the second try failed. It's also possible that the CG was a little too forward.

As usual trying to go fast bit me big time.

The only other damage I found was a tear in the solite on the left wing tip. The motor mount seems fine. That was the part I was worried about.

Now I'm ready to try again and I'm too busy to do anything until Sunday.

Steve

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	131502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	131503  
Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM
RUSH

Sorry to see that
Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

hey man, that is the nicest MM p51 I've seen!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Eberwein
Mountain Models

Steve,

First, you did a wonderful job on your P-51.

It didn't look like you were holding any up elevator on takeoff. Planes like the P-51 (and Cubs, and other scale tailwheel planes) need a little up elevator at the start to keep it from nosing over.

When flying in a real Champ, the guy told me to keep the stick under my belt when taxying and strating the takeoff roll. That transitioned over nicely to models.

Brian Eberwein
Old 07-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Maiden!

Yea!!! Successful maiden tonight! I bribed my daughter with ice cream so she would film the maiden flight. The maiden was actually pretty un-eventful. I needed to add some down trim and some right aileron trim and it was flying really well. The only thing that still did not work was getting the landing gear up. It works every time on the ground, but when in flight it would not go up all of the way. I’m not sure if you can see it in the video, but the gear would only go part way up on the first flight. I did get the gear up on the second by cutting power to the motor then raising them. So, maybe a BEC/ESC voltage issue?? Maybe I should switch to a servo with a lot more torque? I’ll still need to play with them and see what I can do before buying another servo. I did a bunch of gear up down with my WattsUp meter on and the max current draw was 0.42 amps. It seems like it should be OK, but I’m not sure what the BEC voltages are when the motor is under power.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hc5Tto25Jk[/media]

The flight characteristics are very good. The role rates were faster than I was expecting and the elevator control is not too twitchy. It slows way down, but when it finally stalls it tip stalled and headed straight down. I’m not sure if this means I have a slight wing warp or if that’s just what they do. I did not fly it hard. I don’t think I ever got above 50-60% throttle on my two short flights tonight. I also only used about 22% of the battery on the short maiden. This should mean some nice long flight times once I get comfortable with it.

Today was perfect flying weather, but most of today I was working at my club’s open fly. I brought the P-51 to show, but did not fly it there. (No maidens and a grass only field.) I did get a pict with it next to a huge TopFlite (I think) P-47.

I’m a happy guy! Now I need to wring it out and see what she will really do!

Steve

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	131655  

Last edited by Stevephoon; 07-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Eberwein View Post
Steve,

First, you did a wonderful job on your P-51.

It didn't look like you were holding any up elevator on takeoff. Planes like the P-51 (and Cubs, and other scale tailwheel planes) need a little up elevator at the start to keep it from nosing over.

When flying in a real Champ, the guy told me to keep the stick under my belt when taxying and strating the takeoff roll. That transitioned over nicely to models.

Brian Eberwein
Brian,

Thanks for the great kit. You are correct, I need to apply some up elevator when taking off. I almost nosed over again on my second real flight, but caught it with some elevator just in time.

Steve
Old 07-11-2010, 07:59 AM
RUSH

Can't watch the video for some reason. But, congrats on your maiden! Yep warbirds almost always snap on stall.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 PM
park
Clear !

Congratulations !

Don't know about the vid. took 10 min. to down load then it was blocked stating content from WMG and IN grooves?

Then my PC locked up, had to unplug from the wall to shut it down.

Last edited by park; 07-11-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Sorry about the video. I'm not sure what happened to it. I deleted the original and re-uploaded it. YouTube is still processing it. I changed the link in the Maiden post to it. Hopefully it will work this time.

Sorry Park.

Steve
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I did it again on my third flight, I came in to land too fast on some pretty rough pavement and broke both landing gear. One side just the plastic GWS retract unit broke. That's an easy replace. The wood underneath was fine. On the other side, the plywood gear mounting piece broke and the GWS retract unit was fine. See the pics for details. The repairs are under way and should be completed tomorrow.

The good thing is that the plane flys really well. I don't have any issues with odd/bad behaviors and I have never had a WWII plane before. It does fly "different" than my EVA, but nothing unexpected. It looks very scale like in the air! This time the gear went up on the first try. (Too bad they went up/out on landing as well.)

Also, I reposted a low res version of the maiden video. Maybe everyone will have more luck with it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU0qJad9iHU[/media]

Steve

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	131726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	131727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	131728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	131729  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17475 seconds with 39 queries