Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

new to rc i like the cubs but what next 4 chan?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 PM
safecub

Default new to rc i like the cubs but what next 4 chan?

Hi All i am new to the rc world and my first plane was the super cub lp trainer had a few hick ups along the way teaching myself broke it so many time but good old tape and glue is the best
now as most of you no it is a 3 chan plane now once i feel good with it im getting there i should more up to a 4 chan anyone recomend a a good plane that i would like something like the club maybe not as wide..?

and last of all i was having a look at the hobby zone Champ the little yellow planes but then i saw the parkzone ultra micro j-3 cub i am guessing it is the small version of the cub
yes i am new so please go easy

any or all help is very much needed thanks and happy flying guys n gals

Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Aaeolien

Well if you want to stick with smaller airplanes you can't go wrong with the Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28 for a first 4ch plane. It's the plane I taught myself to fly on. I love it. It is a very smooth flying airplane assuming you fly in calmer conditions as being a micro it doesn't like a lot of wind obviously.

Heck now that I read your post again you have a Super cub. So if you want to stick with that size then I hear and read that the bigger T-28 flies just as well as the small one. I haven't flown one yet so I can't say 100% for sure.

I will admit I am partial to micros since I can just take them out and fly in the front and backyard here. And learning is all about flying as much as you can. Nothing like getting up early walking outside with a cup of coffee and taking off from the driveway or walking outside with a cold beer just before dusk and taking off from the driveway. LOL There's something to be said about that.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

ParkZone T28D (the bigger one) or ParkZone UltraMicro T28 hands down! Those were my planes after the Champ and the Cub and it worked out great. The bigger T28D is such a great flying plane that you'll continue flying it long after you've moved up to more advanced planes. It's still my primary plane and I keep getting compliments for the aerobatics and landings when I fly it at the club field. And I'm still a beginner...

Whether you go for the big or small is a matter of preference. The bigger one handles wind much better, but the speed could get overwhelming for a new pilot.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
safecub

Thanks guys i am looking at the mirco t28 now looks nice my type of plane i have not found the big size yet .. with the cub at first it freaked me out due to going full speed but i got the hand of it now with a nice half throttle flight

so is there much diff with the hobby zone cub to the mirco j-3 here is the run down to me there is not much from the other only the price really so i thought i would do right and ask others there view

HOBBYZONE CHAMP BEGINNERS RC PLANE
Specs list for HBZ4900IM1
Wingspan 20.3 in (517mm)
Overall Length 14.3 in (365mm)
Flying Weight 1.3 oz (38g)
Radio 4-channel 2.4GHz transmitter with Spektrum DSM 2; 3 channel receiver and aircraft
Trim Scheme Colors Yellow with orange trim
CG (center of gravity) Approximately 28mm from leading edge of the main wing
Prop Size 130 x 70mm
Recommended Battery 3.7V 1S 150mAh LiPo (included)
Charger DC 3.7V LiPo charger (included)
Landing Gear Fixed main with steerable tail wheel

Parkzone Ultra Micro J-3 Cub RTF
Specs list for PKZ3900
Wingspan 18.2 in (460 mm)
Overall Length 12.4 in (314 mm)
Flying Weight .88 oz (25 g) without battery, 1.0 oz (29g) with battery
Radio 3-channel 2.4GHz DSM2 receiver
Trim Scheme Colors Cub yellow with black trim
Prop Size 100mm x 60mm
Recommended Battery 3.7V 120mAh Li-Po
Approx. Flying Duration 6–10 minutes
Charger DC-powered, single-cell Li-Po fast charger
Landing Gear Fixed main with steerable tail wheel
Old 07-04-2011, 04:38 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Take a look at the Apprentice
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2900
Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thumbs up

Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
My vote is for the T-28 Um or the larger size one that i have, next would be a Pt -19 or a T-34
Take care
Yours Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM
safecub

Thanks for the input guys i am thinking the rtf apprentice with the dx5 as i do not have a good radio so yeah im guessing that for my next one when i get better
Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Second the motion on the Apprentice. Everything you learned from the Champ and Cub will transfer perfectly and you'll enjoy the larger size. I still see a UM T-28 in your future. It's a blast to fly, but like all micros, severely restricted in permissible wind velocity. The Apprentice is a sweetheart.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 AM
safecub

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Second the motion on the Apprentice. Everything you learned from the Champ and Cub will transfer perfectly and you'll enjoy the larger size. I still see a UM T-28 in your future. It's a blast to fly, but like all micros, severely restricted in permissible wind velocity. The Apprentice is a sweetheart.
u no me to well i do want to get a t-28 um one day after the Apprentice rtf pack as it also comes with all i need
Old 07-06-2011, 05:36 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Yep, IMO as everyone has said, there are few planes that beat the ol' Apprentice, yeah it has weak nose gear, easy fix. But heck you only need it for a little bit anyways!! The App almost will fly and right itself huge amount of dihedral and lift out of this world!
The dx5e is just the cherry on top of the icing on this cake.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by safecub View Post
Thanks for the input guys i am thinking the rtf apprentice with the dx5 as i do not have a good radio so yeah im guessing that for my next one when i get better
The best purchase I made was getting the Dx6i. You can program in up to 10 planes! Made my HZ Champ fly so smooth ( vs stock). And at first I thought 10 planes?.. A little excessive...but now I have 11...and have converted most to spektrum (Orange Rx from Hobby King). Nice to have one receiver. So I suggest you save up a little more and go with the Dx6i instead!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Am I missing something here? Isn't the T-28 a low wing scale aircraft? That seems to me a mighty big leap up from a polyhedral top wing cabin style three channel starter plane!

I to am casting my vote for the Apprentice or other "cub" style high wing aileron trainer.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Am I missing something here? Isn't the T-28 a low wing scale aircraft? That seems to me a mighty big leap up from a polyhedral top wing cabin style three channel starter plane!
Not necessarily. The T28D has a ton of dihedral and behaves very well on low rates and 2/3 throttle. Keep in mind that the full-scale T28 was itself a trainer! I made the move from a Super Cub and a Champ to the T28 and it was a surprisingly easy transition! I think we're at least a dozen people here on the site that have made a similar transition.

That being said, the Apprentice seems like a fantastic aircraft. There was a guy here a while ago (Zman, I think) who did incredibly well with an Apprentice has his first plane.

Without having flown the Apprentice, I'd venture as far as to say they're both appropriate as the next plane after a Super Cub. It all boils down to personal preference and flying style. I'd assume the T28 has more potential for more aggressive and aerobatic flight, whereas the Apprentice is more geared towards relaxed cruising. YMMV, as usual...
Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 AM
dkrhardy

I have an Appren15e and it is very docile and boring. I love it, no worries flying it, but I find myself leaving it home to take other planes. Forgive me .... it is a GREAT 4 ch trainer, but being foam and lazy ...........
Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I have an Appren15e and it is very docile and boring. I love it, no worries flying it, but I find myself leaving it home to take other planes. Forgive me .... it is a GREAT 4 ch trainer, but being foam and lazy ...........
Dkrhardy! I was just wondering what had become of you. What are you flying these days?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 AM
safecub

yeah there are a few planes i like but there is the $$$ for it to so that is why the app suits me for the price and the pack then finally i can get out of the rtf pre packs where things are cheaper i will not think of a mini at all till maybe down the road... also had anyone got the FMS Cessna 400rtf?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

The Apprentice was my first RC plane and soloed on my 2nd flight with it, but I've been flying flight sims like MSFS and X-Plane for years and years. And years... It is a great flyer which can do basic stunts as well. I still enjoy taking her out and doing some rolls and loops and then practicing touch and go's forever, which helps my approaches and landings in general. (A good landing really impresses your spectators, and it's usually the last flying maneuver of your flight!) The nose gear should be fixed. See this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ObExZMyJMo[/media]
She can also handle quite a bit of wind, which is good experience as well. Better to practice high wind flying in a trainer than something hard to fly! I know guys flying EDF's now who keep their Apprentice with them for some relaxing fun from time to time. And that big battery is like the Energizer Bunny! I even accidently put in the batt I used in my previous flight instead of my freash charged one, and did a 2nd 10 minute flight with no problems, and the battery wasn't even in a really low voltage condition afterwards.

I haven't flown the PZ T-28, but I have the PZ Corsair, which many have said flies very similar to the T-28, and I'd say other than having to learn to use the rudder because it's a taildragger (Which you should anyways!) and some loss of orientation due to coloring and size, it's as easy to fly as my Apprentice. I've heard of other manufacturers Corsairs that were awful to fly, so I think Parkzone designed these planes really well, which is what really matters. I think the loss of orientation issue on the Corsair (And maybe the T-28D due to color scheme?) are the only big issues for a beginner. I've had a few scary moments, but just keep the altitude, and bank one way or the other to figure it out.

Sorry for the rambling, so many thoughts... Bottom line, for some, the Apprentice is a keeper, and even though the T-28 is a low wing scale aircraft, (From all I've seen, heard, and read) Parkzone did an awesome design job making her a great flyer.

Good luck and let us know what you decide! (Oh, and if you've got the money, skip the Dx5e and go for the Dx6i or similar radio now!)
Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Captainchris

I have the ST Discovery, it's a great 4 chan plane and can take a few harsh landings no problems.
It does what i need it to do, can fly in wind'ish weather no probs and i can get it to fly upside down with a little luck.
great plane to fly and easy once you get the hang of it.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
bbqflyer

Safecub, if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, the apprentice is a good choice but so is the champ. The champ is a little more stable than the UM j-3 cub as it has a larger main wing. Another good starter is actually the flyzone Playmate. I got a buddy into RC with that aircraft, it's only like $89 with everything RTF, and it flew like a dream. Even being a micro it just floated in the wind, I found it very hard to crash unless you forced it into the ground. Good luck, and PS there is a T-28 in your future, the UM is a blast and they are easy to fly as well, it would make a great 4ch trainer as it is actually a trainer!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM
safecub

Hi guys thank you so much there is a lot to think about..i have just been putting some money away and training on my super cup but weather been bad so its not good..i have just been looking around with the j3 piper cub now there are 3 types ??
now i no the big one wing span is around the same as the super cub 1210mm then the one in the store near me was a 3 chan but wing size was 955 then the mirco j3 is around 440
i hope someone understand what i mean??
so i was thinking well maybe not as wide as a super cub but not something that will blow away like a leaf..