Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hobby King

Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 AM
safecub

Default Hobby King

i was told hobbyking has some great bargains so i was there and i was a
HobbyKing 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)(THROTTLE ON THE LEFT)
Hobbykings T6A 2.4ghz system is an entry level transmitter offering the reliability of 2.4Ghz signal technology and a receiver with 6 channels.
This transmitter requires a PC to modify any of the channel variables including mixing and servo reversing.

Key Features;
6-channel 2.4GHz transmitter with servo reversing.
Easy to use control for basic models.
Includes 6-channel receiver
Trainer system option.
This system must be programmed via PC cable.

Included;
1 x 2.4Ghz transmitter
1 x 2.4Ghz Receiver
1 x Bind Plug.

Note:
Only HK-T6A receiver is comptible with HK-T6A transmitter.
Only HK-T6Av2 receiver is compatible with the HK-T6Av2 transmitter.

so this is pocket change i was thinking to use it till i get the ds5 so does anyone no much or if this is a good starting tx and rx
Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

That is defiantly an inexpensive system, I hope the reviews are accurate. It may serve you until you get a more widely known radio like the Dx5 or others.

If you get it make sure you get the usb cable for it.

Good luck
Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 AM
safecub

yeah i am not 100% sure i do want to get the dx5 just wanted to no if anyone has had or used it or it is cheap junk?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I'd check out independent reviews very carefully before I pulled the trigger. It's very important to make sure what the temperature of the water is before you jump in over your head.

Here you go with a truly independent review by Bruce Simpson over at RCModelReviews.com, where he'll "tell you if it sucks." He means it. Can't ask for more than that! Especially in a climate where most reviews are really sales pitches. The range test is not included in the review, but is included in the discussion thread, which I recommend you read.

You'll want to bookmark his website, his you tube channel and his other you tube channel. He's a breath of fresh air in a very controlled media environment.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The T6A is the older FlySky 6ch system and has been superceded by the T6B ..

Come over to FlySky group to know and ask about this and other radios ...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/

Various members of the group have range tested the T6 and found OUT OF SIGHT range on it ...........

People will naturally condemn cheap gear on the "Chinese principle". Understandable as they do cut corners on quality and QC .... but the problem comes that the gear works.
I use a FlySky 9X with FrSky module / Rx and I have to say that precise control is exactly what I have ... with all the mixes / controls to alter pitch / throttle / flaps etc. etc. etc. ..... at less than $100 delivered.
The T6 only limitation as I see it is the lack of module to change ... it's a fixed set. BUT it works ......... and unlimited model memory / set-ups as the PC is used as memory ...
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
TopSpin

Originally Posted by safecub View Post
yeah i am not 100% sure i do want to get the dx5 just wanted to no if anyone has had or used it or it is cheap junk?
I would get a cheap non programmable radio until you can afford a good one. The DX6i or Futaba 6 or 7 channel radios are excellent. Most of the Hong Kong stuff is a gamble. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Sounds to me like this radio is a good buy, then. Lots of on-line help, half-mile to out of sight (not a lot of difference there!) range, precise controllability. Your only limitation might be that only their receivers work with their radio. If they upgrade, there is no guarantee of backwards compatibility.

That is equally true of expensive radios!

Personally, I'd go for a used DX5e, which you can buy for $50.00. Lots of people are buying ARF planes and selling off the TX on eBay. Then you can use the OrangeRX receivers at $7.95 to save money while you save up for that computer radio. THEN you will already have the receivers compatible with the new radio. That would save you money in the long run over going the Hobby King/Fly Sky route.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 AM
earthsciteach

The Turnigy works just fine for me and my park flyers. No problems, here.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 AM
hankg

safecub,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V2_Mode_2.html

I bought one of these a few months ago just to see how 2.4 Ghz works. Bought it through the U.S. storage facility. I think it was around $40.00 delivered to my front door...took a week to get it. Not the highest quality but works. I don't think I would use it on an expensive airplane but on a $60.00 EPP 3D, it is more than serviceable.

I use a Futaba 72 mhz transmitter under normal circumstances and have had no problems since I usually fly by myself...couldn't pass up trying one of these for the price. Have since ordered and received 2 more receivers.

Regards,

Hankg
Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM
safecub

yeahi might just stick with what i have till i get money for the rtf plane that comes with the dx5 i guess its so cheap coz like u said its a gamble so yeah
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

You won't regret going for the DX5e. It's a great quality radio and even after you get all hoity toity and think it's impossible to fly without a computer radio you'll have a great radio for buddy boxing. And all your receivers will be compatible with both so you will actually save some money in the end.