Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Hobby Lobby "Miss Stick Junior" Build Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:02 AM
  #176  
pd1
Still Learning
 
pd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 4,098
Default

Kev, It looks good.
Good luck on the test flight.

On your pushrods, I usually put the screw retainer on the control surface horn and the bent wire inside on the servo.
That way I can adjust the pushrod without removing the wing.

Paul
pd1 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 AM
  #177  
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
 
FlyWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clover, South Carolina
Posts: 3,033
Default

Good luck on tour maiden tomorrow Gonna have someone video it?

Last edited by FlyWheel; 03-14-2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: speeling
FlyWheel is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 AM
  #178  
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan
 
FlyingMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 32459
Posts: 8,930
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Here I have a micro clevis holding the pushrod on the control horn. It was pointed out last night at the club meeting I should bend that wire to keep it from coming out of the control horn; I remembered I had some of these doodads in the shop, and decided to use them. Looks much cleaner to me.
I love those things, they really make a clean connection.
FlyingMonkey is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 04:32 AM
  #179  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Kev, It looks good.
Good luck on the test flight.

On your pushrods, I usually put the screw retainer on the control surface horn and the bent wire inside on the servo.
That way I can adjust the pushrod without removing the wing.

Paul
Well, the instructions were quite specific to use it there; I also figure since I need to remove the wing to change the battery, it's not too big a deal.

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Good luck on tour maiden tommoroy Gonna have someone video it?
If I get to do it tomorrow, I hope so. Thanks. If not, I will shoot for a day soon, and bring the camera.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 PM
  #180  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default The Maiden that almost was.......

Today was a picture-perfect March day, with temps in the upper 50's and light-to-no wind. Mostly sunny skies, some clouds here and there. Like I said, picture perfect.



So where are the pictures, you ask?

Well, none were taken. If I had taken pictures, all you would see today are pics of my wife sitting in the doctors office, with either flu, or menengitis, or a fibromyalgia flare, or God knows what else. I felt bad for her; she felt bad for me. But what can you do? All I know is, fate was NOT on my side today to fly my little masterpiece. And today was my Sunday. No days off til next Friday. But that, my friends, is the first of my 3-day weekend.

So, sorry for the delay, but I am sure you all can understand. Despite what she may say, the wife does come first.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 02:40 AM
  #181  
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
 
FlyWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clover, South Carolina
Posts: 3,033
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Today was a picture-perfect March day, with temps in the upper 50's and light-to-no wind. Mostly sunny skies, some clouds here and there. Like I said, picture perfect.



So where are the pictures, you ask?

Well, none were taken. If I had taken pictures, all you would see today are pics of my wife sitting in the doctors office, with either flu, or menengitis, or a fibromyalgia flare, or God knows what else. I felt bad for her; she felt bad for me. But what can you do? All I know is, fate was NOT on my side today to fly my little masterpiece. And today was my Sunday. No days off til next Friday. But that, my friends, is the first of my 3-day weekend.

So, sorry for the delay, but I am sure you all can understand. Despite what she may say, the wife does come first.
I take it to mean there was no maiden either. You need to get your priorities straight if you want to be a real RC'er

Seriously though, sorry to hear about your SO. Hope she feels better soon.
FlyWheel is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:12 AM
  #182  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I take it to mean there was no maiden either. You need to get your priorities straight if you want to be a real RC'er

Seriously though, sorry to hear about your SO. Hope she feels better soon.
Thanks buddy. I'll make sure she hears how my priorities should be, and who told me such....
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:16 AM
  #183  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Kev,

I haven't stopped in for a while and thought I'd hear a maiden report by now. Sorry to hear your wife is feeling ill. I hope she gets well soon.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:31 AM
  #184  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Kev,

I haven't stopped in for a while and thought I'd hear a maiden report by now. Sorry to hear your wife is feeling ill. I hope she gets well soon.

Frank
Thanks Frank. The plane looks awesome for my first build. I am told she looks like she will be a sweet flyer. I hope that's the case. I have some special Lipos never before used I am gonna use just for her.

Oh, yeah.....I hope she gets well soon....
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 AM
  #185  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

You did a great job on it. I'm sure it will fly well. Does the wings have enough washout on them?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:53 AM
  #186  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
You did a great job on it. I'm sure it will fly well. Does the wings have enough washout on them?

Frank
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't even understand the term "washout", but one of the guys mentioned it and said it looked good.

Of course, if you would like to explain it in ways I can understand it (talk slow, use small words, etc....LOL) I would be a willing pupil.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:57 AM
  #187  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Kev,

It easier to supply a link.

http://www.rcfctoronto.ca/Washout.html

I hope this helps.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 05:54 AM
  #188  
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water
 
Voyager2lcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,109
Default

I always love it when people bring up the subject of wing wash out. As I understand it, it is a variation in the curvature of the wing at each wing tip which will prevent tip stalls. You induce a flatter airfoil near the tips, but I don't know what percentage. Haven't looked at Frank's (Murocflyer) link yet. Now never having induced washout in any plane I currently own, I have zero qualification in explaining it. Wasn't that fun? Hey, you're still doing a great job on the Missy!

Bob

P.S. Looked at Murocflyer's link: washout is basically a change in wing incidence along the wing root to the wing tip. The tips are aligned 1 to 2% lower at the leading edge than the incidence at the wing root. Better to build it in than trying to wing warp it with water or other fluids. End result: no tip stalls if you build it right.

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't even understand the term "washout", but one of the guys mentioned it and said it looked good.

Of course, if you would like to explain it in ways I can understand it (talk slow, use small words, etc....LOL) I would be a willing pupil.
Voyager2lcats is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 AM
  #189  
Mslpc
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Hampton, CT
Posts: 14
Default

As a GA pilot I feel I have to comment about tip stalls, there is no such thing. The so- called tip stall is an uncoordinated stall also known as entry into a spin. The term just makes me nuts.
Mslpc is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:31 AM
  #190  
smokejohnson
Super Contributor
 
smokejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,687
Default

The plane looks great Kev, the attention to detail and transparent covering really makes it stand out. Good luck on the maiden.

Oh yeah hope your wife gets to feeling better.
smokejohnson is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 01:56 PM
  #191  
Al_M
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wallingford, Ct
Posts: 206
Default

I didn't find a need for washout. A little wing warp isn't all that bad in this plane. With its slow speed it isn't real sensitive to reasonable warps.
Al_M is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 02:53 PM
  #192  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Kev,

It easier to supply a link.

http://www.rcfctoronto.ca/Washout.html

I hope this helps.

Frank
Frank,

As always, you are a wealth of info. Thanks, I appreciate the link.

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
The plane looks great Kev, the attention to detail and transparent covering really makes it stand out. Good luck on the maiden.

Oh yeah hope your wife gets to feeling better.
I had to laugh at "attention to detail"; I am not known to pay attention to details. Heck, as a kid, building plastic models, I never had any patience for that, wanted it done immediately, and they always looked horrid. So, thanks for the kind words, I am really proud of her. And getting very picky now with removing any other little warps I find....LOL

Originally Posted by Al_M View Post
I didn't find a need for washout. A little wing warp isn't all that bad in this plane. With its slow speed it isn't real sensitive to reasonable warps.
Thanks Al; I kinda figured even with the warp in the fuse I had, it would fly OK with some help from the trims, but I feel much better having it straight. And the slow speed should be great for my flying skills to improve with.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 PM
  #193  
pd1
Still Learning
 
pd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 4,098
Default

Hi Kev,
Hope your wife is doing better.

Don't worry about the plane, it will fly great.

Paul
pd1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 03:26 PM
  #194  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Hi Kev,
Hope your wife is doing better.

Don't worry about the plane, it will fly great.

Paul
Thanks Paul. She has to go get a blood draw today, but is getting a little better. Kinda glad I work today. LOL

I am hoping this can be my "throw in the car in case I can get a few mins to fly" plane. It's surely light enough. If it flies slow enough, I may even take it to the headquarters to fly on my breaks.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
  #195  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

I do have a question I'll post here, though. My elevator servo buzzes when I power up. I am told this is probably some slight binding from the connector I used, and it may free up with use. It also should not be a power drain issue. Anyone have this come up, and how did you solve it?
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 PM
  #196  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

It does sound like a binding or friction problem. What make is it and does it stop when you move it up or down?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 PM
  #197  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

I can jiggle the sticks and sometimes it stops. Or I can slightly move the control surface and sometimes it goes away. Sometimes it doesn't do it, and then I move the elevator and it starts. It also seems to be lessening up as time goes on, making me lean towards the suggestion that the connection between the connector and the servo arm just needs some time to loosen up. But I wanted to bounce it off my buddies here and see what comes out of discussion.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
  #198  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

I get noise with some of my HS-55s but it usually stops with some control movement. Noise typically means pressure on the servo arm from something. If it is getting better I wouldn't sweat it for right now, just keep an eye/ear on it.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 11:15 PM
  #199  
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water
 
Voyager2lcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,109
Default

Hey Mslpc, no offense intended. I see the term "tip stall" quoted a lot. I don't use it and have never really experienced it (especially since it apparently doesn't exist!). So what exactly is an uncoordinated stall- a newbie who's all thumbs and puts his plane into a death spiral? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bob

Originally Posted by Mslpc View Post
As a GA pilot I feel I have to comment about tip stalls, there is no such thing. The so- called tip stall is an uncoordinated stall also known as entry into a spin. The term just makes me nuts.
Voyager2lcats is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 PM
  #200  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

OK you two.....you can have your little "off-topic" chat here, but NO FIGHTING! I won't have it!
gfdengine204 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.19777 seconds with 11 queries