Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Polyurethane for dollar tree foam

Old 02-21-2019, 01:03 PM
knowsdive

Default Polyurethane for dollar tree foam

Hi
I have wing that I知 building with dollar tree foam. I would like to water proof the bottom portion of the wing especially. Right now the whole wing weighs about 260 grams without battery and I would like to keep the added weight to a minimum.
Would oil based polyurethane work fine without adding much weight? Or was I better off with just using packing tape?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:31 AM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Originally Posted by knowsdive View Post
Hi
I have wing that I知 building with dollar tree foam. I would like to water proof the bottom portion of the wing especially. Right now the whole wing weighs about 260 grams without battery and I would like to keep the added weight to a minimum.
Would oil based polyurethane work fine without adding much weight? Or was I better off with just using packing tape?

Thanks!
I use MINWAX. Brush it on, & after a couple min wipe it off until dry.
Never weighed to see how much weight it gained???
It works for me & I like the finish! And I think it adds a little strength???
Regards
Jimmy
Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I use clear varnish as sold for woodwork / boats etc. I also have spray lacquer - but that needs a barrier paint on before its use as the propellant is petroleum solvent - which eats bare foam.

Just commenting ... for paint jobs on models - I use house emulsion of poster paints which are all water based. The Emulsions are generally resistant enough for our use and if no other added - can be easily touched up when marked. The Poster paints of course will not like any moisture ... have a model out when that little shower happens and you may find the paint starts to lift ... so I give it a thin coat of varnish over seals it ... Easy to repair / touch up ... You can get matt ... semi matt ... gloss varnish as you want ...