Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Eflite Whipit UM DLG!!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Default Eflite Whipit UM DLG!!

Okay, I did the obligatory search here, including the "site:wattflyer.com whipit" Google site search and........nothing at all.

Is NOBODY excited about the impending release of a Horizon UM discus launched glider, the Whipit?

We now pause for a Wattflyer pop-up claiming to show me similar threads. Pardon me whilst I scrutinize: Eflite 60 amp ESC.....nope. Eflite f-86 sabre.....nope. Eflite BAE Hawk.....pass. Apprentice 15e by Eflite.......give me a break! UM Polecat wont stay bound......typical on site search garbage. Looks like I'm in the clear.

Well check this out and if you have red blood flowing in your veins, this video plus the $70 price should have you dialing up the Horizon site and popping an order in! Imagine catching slope lift off a parked car, thermals from a BBQ, a cheap way to get involved in a very expensive little niche called DLG!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Guy in the video needs to learn how to trim a glider. In the video it was constantly stalling. Most likely all it needed was a few clicks of down elevator, he would probably have added close on 50% on flight time.

It would probably make a nice low wind slope soarer for small hills. Personally for me as a DLG it's doesn't have enough flight time to make it hold my attention for long, the novelty would wear off pretty quick with 20 second flight duration.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 AM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Guy in the video needs to learn how to trim a glider. In the video it was constantly stalling. Most likely all it needed was a few clicks of down elevator, he would probably have added close on 50% on flight time.

It would probably make a nice low wind slope soarer for small hills. Personally for me as a DLG it's doesn't have enough flight time to make it hold my attention for long, the novelty would wear off pretty quick with 20 second flight duration.
If you noticed that the guy was flying his plane wrong in the product video you are probably not their target audience. People like me are; I did not notice until you mentioned it. Haha. I would have never noticed that! You sir, have a keen eye!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Sorry, I was actually talking about a different video, one that Youtube played for me automatically. I should have made that clear ... this video:

I think that the stalling is pretty easy to spot in this one, no expert eye required. How the guy making the video didnt see it is beyond me. The one in the official Horizon video looked to be trimmed just fine.

Anyway, I think these UM models appeal to quite a wide audience, not just beginners.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Yah. Big-time oscillating stall (is that a technical term for what went on?). In the official video you can see that every once and a while the plane pitches up about 3 degrees. I thought that is what you were referring to. Looks like a cool plane. Personally I want the UMX Habu or Habu 2.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

The Spektrum guys were getting one minute flights in still air. To me, that's pretty impressive and I have one on the way.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:17 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
The Spektrum guys were getting one minute flights in still air. To me, that's pretty impressive and I have one on the way.
It would be impressive, call be a cynic but in still air I'll have to see it to believe it. Full composite construction 1M span DLG's dont get much more than a minute and size has a huge bearing on these things especially on launch height.

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 05-04-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:36 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

It's hard to judge flight time from the official e-flite video because anoyingly it is a series of multiple short clips, there is not a single full flight shown. I did find this video of someone flying one and he looks like he's getting a very good launch and flying it well. His flight times ranged 20-30 seconds. Forget the first flight as he did a loop and caught it, but the second flight looked to be a serious attempt as maximum flight duration. That second flight was 30 seconds, so I dont think there is an awful lot more that that to come to be honest:

Around 30 seconds or so in dead air sounds about right to me for what it is. Of course with a thermal thrown in you could be up for ages.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

They had um (e-fite) as demo's at SEFF, they caught a few Thermals as well, they hadn't come in yet, (stuck off-shore in Cal, ) I would have got one if they had um, I did get a Libelle DLG there,

bubsteve
Old 05-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

From the look of the second flight there, he was far from optimum l/g for much of the flight. I'd be inclined to believe the Spektrum guys who actually tested the plane. Looks like the Whipit likes a little speed to get on the step, which is good for a UM and makes it better with a tiny bit of wind.

I don't expect it to perform like the 1.5 M DLGs but it doesn't cost as much either. I'm just looking for some good fun and thermaling on very small local events.

Can you believe they're already flying their Whipits in Germany and taunting us with flight videos? I can taste the thing, I hope not literally.

How do you like your Libelle, Steve?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Tepid Pilot

Got no money, honey? Golly. For that dough you could join AMA and offer it your input.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 05-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

The ones at SEFF flew nicely but the pilots sluffed off Bub Steve when he tried to talk to them and I tried to talk to them with no luck either.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:20 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
The ones at SEFF flew nicely but the pilots sluffed off Bub Steve when he tried to talk to them and I tried to talk to them with no luck either.
That's not nice at all. Surely they recognized you, don't you think? Don't they need all the friends they can get? Certainly you've done nothing here that Horizon Hobby can get miffed about!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:23 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
Got no money, honey? Golly. For that dough you could join AMA and offer it your input.

TP
AMA 59376
Without a club worth joining I would get no benefit from joining AMA. I spent $89 on the plane. It's my only RC expense for the year so far. I should spend my rare dollars for a membership and not be able to fly? Not me!

They would be very unhappy with what I have to say anyway. I think they are busy chasing dollars and neglecting the health of our hobby. They wouldn't like to hear that. I feel I'm represented much better by Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobbies, Heads Up Hobby and the other companies producing products than I am by the AMA. And I think they are more competent at defending my interest in the hobby.

And why is a personal attack appropriate here?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:35 AM
birdDog
Charging....

It's bad policy to snub the Bub. Mark that one as a missed opportunity.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:00 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

they were nicer the next day when we were flinging together, they had the 1000$ carbon DLG's and I flew my Mountain Models DL-50, funny thing though,, we were all in a themal together and I stay over them and specked out after they bailed,, that did get their attention,,,, I think they were have'in bad day before,
bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2449.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	180601   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2447.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	180602   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2354.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	180603  
Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Glad to hear they finally chatted with you Bub Steve!
Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

From the look of the second flight there, he was far from optimum l/g for much of the flight. I'd be inclined to believe the Spektrum guys who actually tested the plane.
I'll be fascinated to hear your results once you have the glider in hand. I though the guy in the videos second flight looked very good, at least nothing that would explain a halving of flight duration.

Lets see what sort of flight times you get in still air and we will see if I have to eat my words or not
Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Tepid Pilot

Sorry you see that as a personal attack, it certainly wasn't meant to be. If you think you get no benefit from joining AMA so be it, I'm down with that.

You are, however, very much mistaken in thinking AMA might be "unhappy" with your input. AMA wants the input of its members, no matter if it's good, bad or ugly. It shouldn't surprise you to know that most AMA members are folks just like us, good people and model aviation enthusiasts, even the officers in Muncie.

Although I have several AMA clubs within reach I am not a member of any of them, but in case I get a wild hair to attend a contest or a sanctioned fly-in I'm good to go. The members of these clubs have always given me a warm, friendly welcome when I visit.

Pretty sure the companies you mention, along with many others, support the AMA. I support those companies also.

Bottom line? You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Happy flying!

TP

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot

TP
AMA 59376
Without a club worth joining I would get no benefit from joining AMA. I spent $89 on the plane. It's my only RC expense for the year so far. I should spend my rare dollars for a membership and not be able to fly? Not me!

They would be very unhappy with what I have to say anyway. I think they are busy chasing dollars and neglecting the health of our hobby. They wouldn't like to hear that. I feel I'm represented much better by Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobbies, Heads Up Hobby and the other companies producing products than I am by the AMA. And I think they are more competent at defending my interest in the hobby.

And why is a personal attack appropriate here?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'll be fascinated to hear your results once you have the glider in hand. I though the guy in the videos second flight looked very good, at least nothing that would explain a halving of flight duration.

Lets see what sort of flight times you get in still air and we will see if I have to eat my words or not
We lose sight of the plane in the glare and suddenly its height was cut in half and it's moving very fast when we regain sight of the plane. I took that as a sign of a non-soaring type maneuver in there. We'll see! This will be fun. I haven't launched a DLG yet so it will be a fun process learning.

This is pure flying and I'm really looking forward to it. I have some Radian experience and this is Radian without the safety net and with minimum range for cruising for lift. I like the faster relative speed this one goes to be at minimum sink though.

No shipping notice yet. This is pure torture!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

RR,

Just to rub salt into the wound.. I notice that the Whipit is in stock in UK dealers right now
For instance: http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...duct_info.html
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

We lose sight of the plane in the glare and suddenly its height was cut in half and it's moving very fast when we regain sight of the plane. I took that as a sign of a non-soaring type maneuver in there. We'll see! This will be fun. I haven't launched a DLG yet so it will be a fun process learning.

This is pure flying and I'm really looking forward to it. I have some Radian experience and this is Radian without the safety net and with minimum range for cruising for lift. I like the faster relative speed this one goes to be at minimum sink though.

No shipping notice yet. This is pure torture!
after a 100 throws you'll have it down, it's more finesse that strength anyway
bubsteve

Name:	SAM_2313.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	180611   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2274.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	180612  
Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Got notification they shipped today. Now I have a minor problem of my transmitters don't bind to that style plane. Deciding between a JR and Spectrum 8 transmitter a buddy has for sale...
Old 05-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Got notification they shipped today. Now I have a minor problem of my transmitters don't bind to that style plane. Deciding between a JR and Spectrum 8 transmitter a buddy has for sale...
old beat-up DX-5 would do just fine
bubsteve

Name:	SAM_2370.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	180614  
Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
old beat-up DX-5 would do just fine
bubsteve
Yep, as long as you dont want to use launch mode to trim in a little down to stop any tendancy to loop over backward.

All this talk about mini DLG's has made me want to re-commision my little Elf 1M DLG. It just needs a new battery wiring up. If i get it going I'll shoot a video this weekend. It's a great little flyer, super light at only 95g.

Quick Reply: Eflite Whipit UM DLG!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09797 seconds with 15 queries