Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-01-2018, 03:01 AM   #1
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)
Default Sterling Mambo 48" Electric Powered

I flew a full size Sterling Mambo with single channel rudder only system with rubber wound escapement and .23 glow power back in the 60's and had limited success with it, enough to become nostalgic and to want to build one with electric power.

I downloaded Mambo plans from Outerzone to a flashdrive and took it to a Fedex central office to have plan sheets printed full size. I obtained a Tobe Galloping Ghost actuator from Jay Mendoza in Mission Viejo, CA to give me flapping rudder and elevator. Elevators were added onto the lifting stab. I installed a Scorpion 450 size brushless motor and 3S 2200mah lipo . I added a 2 ounce fishing weight to the nose next to the motor. The model flew but the small Tobe GG actuator was not powerful enough and the model was barely controllable. I removed the GG actuator and installed two small servos to operate rudder and elevator. I grafted on balsa to increase area of the elevator.
The model now is very controllable and loves to crawl along in thermals. Model has translucent red wings and stab and yellow doped slab balsa fuselage and vertical tail. It has original Sterling wing logos made by Callie Graphics . The tail skid makes taxiing "interesting"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.JPG (185.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (98.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0038.JPG (110.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Jack_Hammer

Friends: (0)

Did you print out the Mabo graphics on paper and cover with clear foil?
Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
Stick Dude

Club: Ill try to become a member of a local rc club...

I like that see through monokote, it offsets opaque pretty nicely, and you can see the construction of the airframe fully, really unique!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

Takes me back !! Super 60's and all that in UK.

Nostalgia is great but I can still remember some of the heartbreak when a model failed to fly well and crashed !

I have memorys of my older brother 'forcing me' me to be the runner to tow up his free-flight gliders !! Beautiful tissue covered jobs ... never did fly well though !

Pulse radio / GG and escarpments ............ what a joy when 2ch proportional hit the counters !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
E-Challenged

I downloaded the Sterling Mambo graphic logos and had Callie Graphics create the proper size logos to fit the wing. Callie is a lady who can make up almost any graphic you might need for a scale or sport model . She only needs some basic info and her prices are very reasonable. For example she made the Pepsi-Cola graphics for my Pat Tritle Stinson Reliant based on a 1937 Pepsi executive/PR aircraft. She made me a complete set of graphics for my Pat Tritle DC-3 in AA Flagship Detroit livery. Her graphics are stick-on vinyl, easy to apply.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.JPG (138.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 AM   #6
Brner
AMA16634

Friends: (12)
Default Memories....

Brings back memories....The Mambo was my first RC (sort-of) plane, back in 1956. It held a twin needle K&B .15 (one for high speed and one for low speed) Never did get that worked out. Hacked together a kit radio (Ace Commander) and, with a rubber wound Vari-comp ESC interrupted the Mambo's flight path often. Seems like centuries ago....Those were the days you had to work to get a plane in the air.....

Transmitter below is the one I built but rec and esc are more modern....LOL...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACE_Commander_with_DeBolt_servo.JPG (114.6 KB, 23 views)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models