Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

New World Models Ep Spitfire Coming Out

Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM
bassmanh
electrified

Default New World Models Ep Spitfire Coming Out

Hello everyone,

just a quick note to see if anyone else has seen this new plane in model airplane news ? heres a link to the plane.

link=http://www.theworldmodels.com/newPro...006&m=February

SPITFIRE EP

39.5 in WS
257sq in WA
26 oz flying weight
32.6 in long
fullysymmetrical airfoil

its a world models spitfire EP for $79.99 with a geared 400 motor OR 99.99 with a brushless outrunner motor (made for world models) and they also have a 25 AMP 6 to 10 cell ESC for this motor for 39.99 .

so for a total $149.99 (including shipping of $10.00) i think i have ordered a nice little plane to have some fun with when i called to talk to them i ordered mine right away and they said it would be in this coming tuesday and he would probably ship it out on WED.

BTW i ordered mine through www.airborne-models.com they dont have it on there site yet but i called them and was able to order right away.

bassman
Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default EP Spitfire

To Bassman, thanks for the info on the new Spitfire, I'd be interested in hearing about the plane when you receive it. Guess from the Worldmodels text it's built-up balsa? Also am curious about how that B/L motor works out. Keep us posted!
Ron
Old 02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Nice, but Ripmax is coming out with a Spit!

I have many World Models Electric and Glow-to-Electric that I have bought in the past 1 1/2 years.

I just noticed that most of the WM "Electrics" does not seem to go beyong 39 inch wing span and the funny looking main landing gear. I have the Rambler Ep, Miss America P-51D EP, J3 Cub Ep, Clipped Wing J3 EP, plus MACH-I, and MACH-II Glow to Electric conversions to name a few.

With the exception of the WM J3 Cub EP standard wing, all others are 39 inch wing span and for me seem to be getting a little boring....

I have back ordered the Ripmax Spitfire of 48 inch wing span "ARF" from Tower Hobbies (yes, e-Bay has them but, shipping is $25.00US!).

I am not going to go brushless.....the Ripmax Spit will be 3lbs. model just like my Great Planes Super Sportster EP and the Spit will be powered by the Japanese Kyosho Endoplasma 16-turn modified 550 Brushed RC Buggy motor.

Just take a look at the powerful potential of staying with Brushed motor.....I have over 50 flights without cleaning the commutator nor brush change out!

For the Ripmax Spitfire, I am sticking with the Kyosho Endoplasma 16-turn modified brushed buggy motor in geared form (Electrify GD-600 with 3.8:1 ratio) while swinging the APC "Sport" 9 X 8 propeller and using Pro-Lite 4200mAH, 3S2P, Li-POLYs and the Apex 4200mAH, 15C, 3S2P, Li-POLYs.

Video!!! The Sportster Ep (48 inch wing span) has the identical power system!

http://www.savefile.com/files/8128046

Awesome flying with these Apex 2100 cells 3S2P, for a total of 4200mAH, 15C, Li-POLYs. Again, the model has over 50 flights without any brush or commutator cleaning and these Apex 2100's made the model fly like it had a new motor!

It was just unbelivable to see this model turn like it was only 16 oz. total weight....just could not take it in my mind as I was flying that this was still a 3lbs. model!

Last edited by guapoman2000; 02-21-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

I took the plunge and ordered the brushless version. Been meaning to replace my "very much missed" GWS Spit that I lost last summer. Looking forward to getting this new World Models version.
J
Old 02-26-2006, 04:46 PM
bassmanh
electrified

ron,
im hoping to get mine early this coming week , as i open it up i will take some pics to show how well (hopefully) it is packed and then a couple pics of the plane parts to show whats all included and construction of the plane.

i called him on wed to see if it had shipped and he said it was going out that evening or thursday morning (called to add an ultralight pilot bust) so im hoping monday or tuesday it will be here

bassman
Old 02-26-2006, 07:06 PM
bassmanh
electrified

hello again,
i wa just looking at this plane on airbornes website again and i see they say to use an 8 cell 1000mah battery, does anyone have any idea what SIZE cell they would be talking about ? IE... 2/3 4/5ths or sub C

just wondering as all i have right now are sub C packs and 2s2p kokam li-poly's any thoughts on this ? thanks.

bassman
Old 02-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default World Models "Spitfire"

Hi Bassman, good to hear from you! I'll be interested in hearing about the "Spit", how it looks, quality, weight, etc.
Regarding the 1000 mAh cells, the NiMh cells I have that are higher than (roughly) 600 mAh are exactly the same size as AA's. Under 600 mAH seem to be shorter, I think they're called 2/3 AA. There is also a shorter-than-AA cell that's a larger diameter, called "AU". Sub-C's are a lot "fatter" and heavier than any of these. I guess it depends on whether the plane can stand the weight.
There may be lighter new cells available, since the LiPo "revolution" I haven't bought many NiCads or Nickle metals! The 2s2p Lipos, while lower in voltage will be much lighter so it may balance out.
Keep us posted on the "Spitfire"
Ron
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 PM
bassmanh
electrified

Default spitfire is here !!!!! ;)

hello all,

well i got my spitfire today, opened the box and was nice to see every peice of the plane in plastic and TAPED down so it could not move.

overall, the constuction looks pretty good and i can see they used triangle stock around the servo try for added strength. but it looks like it may need a little attention as far as reglueing with some CA in spots.

typical ARF from what i see so far, except that the covering is very good NO WRINKLES AT ALL IN MINE. the wing saddle area looks a bit week, may need to add some stock for extra strength. also the servo bays are not open and i will need to cut covering to get to them. (hope theres a string in there)

the instructions are well interesting again typical coming from a chinese company, (lost in translation LOL) but it is a basic ARF and will be an easy one to put together.

also if you do order this plane check with them before you buy a pilot bust for it!!!! the add says none included so i bought one, and guess what ??? there was one included in the bag of parts LOL so now i have a new pilot to find a home for

attached are a few pics, i will post more if i find anything bad while putting this bird together

bassman
P.S. they also send a new 2006 catalouge with it .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00013.JPG
Views:	719
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	8091   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00023.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	8092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00033.JPG
Views:	978
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	8093  
Old 03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

I ordered mine from Airborne World models, and it was quite clear in the ad that a pilot was included.
I'm glad you like what you see with your kit. I have their Miss America P-51 as well, and never had any complaints about the quality or strength of the kit.
I just wish they'd start building these EP kits with battery access hatch's in mind.
Good luck in your build Bassmanh. You did order yours with the outrunner, correct? I'm interested to know what your thoughts are on that motor when you get it up and flying.
Best of luck with it all,
J
Old 03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
bassmanh
electrified

hello J,

when i ordered my spitfire airborne and world models didnt have them on there sites yet. i found the plane in an add in model airplane news and right in the add it says ultralight pilot shown optiional and not included in kit (see pic)

does it say it is included on there websites now ? at any rate im happy with the plane and cant wait to start o it but we have freezing rain right now and im not going to drive to the LHS on these roads .

as for the motor it looks very familiar like ive seen them on e-bay or another site. here is a picture of the motor to give you an idea of what it is. good luck with yours to and have fun flying it.

bassman

Name:	DSC_00015.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	8139   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_000241.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	8140  
Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
bassmanh
electrified

hi,
a quick update on the motor and ESC, now that i have had more time to look over things the instructions in the ESC say (to use BEC) only use 7 cells and 4 servos or 8 cells and 3 servos. so that shoots down an 8 cell pack or 3s li-poly because we have to use 4 servos for this plane.

so it looks like i will be using 7 cell packs to start with and see how many watts im getting with them .

the motor shows it can handle 6 to 12 volts so thats looks good now i just have to get the motor mounted and do some static tests to see where im at .

bassman
Old 03-03-2006, 07:35 PM
bassmanh
electrified

HELLO AGAIN,

just another update on the spit, i have pretty much everything put together as far as the plane goes. now im just waiting for my flight pack to get here from tower.

all thats left to do is put the motor and ESC in, servos and reciever and my pilot and decals.

as far as putting it together make sure you have a clamp ready when you start to install the motor mount as you have to squeeze to 2 formers together to meet the mount and epoxy it together, then hold it in place while it cures.

while putting the rudder on i also noticed that the tail wheel assembly wouldnt quite line up right and had to trim a little off the rudder to make it fit right, otherwise i had no trouble with this ARF.

will udate more once everything is in and working and i can get some readings from my watt meter. and i will also get a final AUW . i did use different wheels as the ones it came with looked to small and just didnt look right, so i put some 2 inch ultra light wheels on it. looks much better(see pics)

bassman

Name:	DSC_00016.JPG
Views:	650
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	8190   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00025.JPG
Views:	797
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	8191  
Old 03-05-2006, 09:16 PM
bassmanh
electrified

Default the finished plane minus servos,RX

hello,

well here is the finished plane minus the servos and rx, it looks pretty good, i did change out the folding prop and spinner for a more scale looking (hopefully) prop adapter. the prop that is on it is a little to big so i need to get an 11X6 APC E prop for it yet.

as for watts and AMPs i used a couple old packs i had here (still waiting on new order) and the amps with a 8 cell pack and 10x6 prop was right at 15.
with a 7 cell pack and same prop was at 9 amps. i tried the 12x8 and the amps went over the motors max so i think an 11x5 will be about right.

watts im going to wait with until i get my NEW packs as these readings seemed a bit low.

heres a couple of pics of the finished plane.

bassman

Name:	DSC_00034.JPG
Views:	743
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	8293   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00026.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	8295  

Last edited by bassmanh; 03-05-2006 at 09:22 PM. Reason: missing a pic
Old 03-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

I'm really looking forward to your flight report on this bird, bassmanh. I've noticed there seems to be not a lot of enthusiam being generated about this plane. The world models p-51 was, and still, is a big deal when it first came out. I am really looking forward to getting my Spit! I'm especially cursious to know how well that brushless is going to work out. I know I'll be putting some sort of apc prop on it, and loosing the folding prop. Probably will use one of the new 1500 Mah 3 cells I have. They are rated 20C discharge.
J
Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 PM
bassmanh
electrified

jag,
i agree seems like not many are interested. as for getting flying soon , well we just got 5 more inches of snow last night and now the weather is suposed to warm up into the mid to high 40's this week so the field will be a sloppy mess for awhile will have to wait for things to dry up first. but once i do fly it i will try to get some vidoe to post.

by the way have you gotten your plane yet ? let me know what you think about it please ?

bassman
Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

Sorry to hear on the weather. Winds and rain for us around here. Don't have my plane yet. I'm in Canada, and it will have to clear customs, so I don't expect it for a couple of weeks or so. I have the world models p-51 and I was allways impressed with its quality, so I didn't hesitate to buy the Spit. I know a lot of people are griping that this version of the Spit is really out of scale, and I think that's where the low-key interest is stemming from. Personally, I dont find it that bad looking. A lot of these same people go on about the virtues of the P-51, which I feel is no where near scale either. Can't pleeeeze em all, I guess.
J
Old 03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default New "Spitfire"

Hi Bassman, thanks for posting the photos and info on the Spitfire! I think it looks good, as far as "Exact Scale" none of the Park Flyers are, and they weren't intended to be. I'm interested in how it flys, hope you get some good weather soon. Have you weighed the model?
Regarding the BEC limit on servos, I've never really let it worry me too much, I've hardly ever run a LiPo (well, the first couple, but none since!) down to LVC. 2100 mAH turning a "400" sized motor with the correct prop is usually 15 minutes plus, unless you run wide open the whole time. My flights are usually in the 5-7 minute range, that seems to be my limit of concentration for sport/aerobatic/warbirds. Now Gliders, that's a whole different ballgame. But really you're not flying them most of the time, you're watching them!
Anyway, good luck with the "Spit"!!
Ron
Old 03-07-2006, 03:09 AM
bassmanh
electrified

sky,

glad you like the pics, i knew when i bought the plane that it wasnt SCALE but i didnt care i just liked the looks of it. (plus it still looks like a spit to me)

as for the weight of the plane it is at 17.4 ounces right now minus the reciever and battery, the battery packs weigh in at about 8 ounces and the RX is 1.3 i think so the AUW looks to be about 27 ounces. remember i used bigger wheels so that might be where the extra ounce came from or my scale may be off a bit . but if my readings are right with my watt meter i should be getting about 70 watts a lbs.

I sure hope the weather gets better my thumbs are getting twitchy its been a long winter with no flying.

bassman
Old 03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

Hi,
Just wanted to know if anyone's actually flown the thing yet? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive....gotta love customs!
J
Old 03-16-2006, 02:43 PM
bassmanh
electrified

jag,

the weather is not cooperating for me here at all, been really windy and colder with snow forcast for today again. up to 6 inches possible today and tonight. i cant seem to win.

i wish if someone has flown this plane they would post for us so we know what it flies like and what to expect from it like some one from down south where the weather is warmer/nicer .

bassman
Old 03-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

Thats gotta suck, bassmanh!
J
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

Finally received mine. Must say, it does look nice! Fairly good size plane. I'm just finishing up my Great Planes Lancair, and then I'll get started on the Spit build. Probably take about a week to get it done, as it looks pretty straightforward. It's gonna be nice to have a Spit back in the squadron again!
J
Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

Did the maiden today. Flies straight and true! The outrunner has plenty of power, it was airborne in about 20 feet or so. Gave it some down elevator trim, as it was wanting to climb. No aileron trim needed at all. Did rolls, inverted, loops and hammerheads, all went well. Slows down decently for the landing, no tipping over on the grass either. All in all, I'm quite happy with it. Used a 1500 3 cell (20c). APC 9X7.5 SF prop. AUW 22 oz's/
J
Old 04-03-2006, 03:07 AM
desmobob
electric-curious

J,

Will a 3S 2100mah pack fit in the Spit?

You bought the outrunner that World Models was selling with the Spit, right?

Thanks for the flight report. This model might become my first Spitfire....

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 04-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Jagzilla
I fly for Beer

A thunderpower 2100 3 cell would fit. The wider style, like a tanic, wouldn't fit. In other words the long, slender, rectangular style of battery fits just fine. I used the world models outrunner. It was pulling around 15 or so amps on the bench, doing around 150 watts on the wattmeter. Moved the plane nicely!
J

Quick Reply: New World Models Ep Spitfire Coming Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14271 seconds with 20 queries