Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

anyone flying a gws warbird?

Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 AM
57sailplane
Motorcalc Junky

Default anyone flying a gws warbird?

I have a fw190 and did a search on here but could not find anything about it. so i guess now i am wondering if anybody is flying one. if so what mods have you done.

thanks andrew K.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:56 PM
unitfreebie

Default Check out threads in Warbirds forum

I know this is a very old thread but anyone who is still interested check out this thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ght=gws+fw-190

Also once over there, do a Search on GWS FW-190 and there are a lot of threads on the FW-190

Old 05-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Shredman

Default GWS Warbirds

I have in my fleet a GWS ME262 that has taken alot to get airborn with some consistancy.

Keep in mind as you read though alot of the threads that these were made based on using brushed gear and light equipment. I have also the GWS A10 and they both have brushless motors and ESC's, and run off of 11.1v Lipos in the 2200mAh range, which changes the weight around dramatically. Although the COG is still constant, where you will find the bigger issues is that the landing gear is not up to snuff with the extra weight load.

Keeping it light is key with the GWS planes that are being switched to Brushless gear. ALthough they have more power, they also gained alot of weight with the dual BL esc's and the 2200mAh battery.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 AM
unitfreebie

Default Weak Landing Gears in GWS Warbirds... How to modify?

Yes, you are right about the landing gears.... that did not occur to me as I just bought new 400 Watt Brushless motor (1000KV) and 1600 maH LIPO battery from HobbyKing to upgrade my F4U Corsair.

That weak piece of wire glued to the bottom of the foam wing is not going to take anything but a soft landing... I can see it ripping out right now!

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to beef up the landing gear on the GWS Warbirds (foamies)?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 AM
57sailplane
Motorcalc Junky

on all my GWS birds i replaced the wire with a thick piece of music wire. most local hobby shops cary an aray of this stuff. i usally go about another 1/3 biger in dia.. then i just bend a couple of 90's and your good to go.. those springs they wind into the origanl wire realy is the week link, there is no need for them..

i love to run more power in these. i have had 2x3s 2200mah run as a 6s in my fw190.. that thing humed right along.. need to put flaps on her.

she was a tank at 44oz..
Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Shredman

I did the same thing as 57sailplane, in adding a higher guage landing gear wires. I used the 2mm piano wire from the LHS that seemed to work ok for the A10. I have to admit though that even with the larger wire I have had to relace them off and on due to landings mishaps. They still will snap or rip out if you are too hard coming down. I bet that I have replaced my ME262 landing struts at least 6 times in the past and 3 times on the A10. I keep telling myself the next time it happens they will be belly landers going forward.

The front steerable landing gear usually receives the worst damage when landing. I finally replaced both of the ones on the ME262 and A10 with fiberglass rods, versus metal. The rods seem to flex a little better and have only had one snap.

A friend advised that I should replace them both with 1/2A steerable landing gear set ups and that should eliminate the problem. Have yet to try.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:50 AM
unitfreebie

Default Weak Landing gears??? What to do???

WOW!!! Sounds like nothing but a perfect landing will not damage the landing gear... I am not sure what you mean about a steeringable 1/2A landing gear... can you post a pix?

So will see what comes up that may solve this problem...
Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 AM
wolfewinde

I have flown most of the GWS warbirds at one time or another and upgraded them all to brushless.

IMHO, a Four Hundred watt motor is way to big for a GWS warbird.. They were not made for that much weight. They will fly great on 150 - 175 watt motors and 1300 ish 3s lipos.

Wolfe.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 AM
unitfreebie

Yes the motor is overkill but I wanted to have plenty of power to 3D the Corsair...

The motor is a HobbyKing TowerPro 3015-7, 1000KV, 470Watts
Model: TowerPro 3015-7
Size: 37.2*60.3
Weight: 133g
Voltage: 10v
Idle Current: 2.2A
Suggested Battery Config: 3-4Lipo
Kv: 1000RPM/v
Shaft: 5mm
Max Eff Current: 30A
Max current: 40A
Max Power: 470W
Suggested prop: 10*5, 11*5

Kv (rpm/v) 1000 Weight (g) 133 Max Current (A) 40 Resistance (mh) 0 Max Voltage (V) 14 Power(W) 470 Shaft A (mm) 5 Length B (mm) 41 Diameter C (mm) 37 Can Length D (mm) 16 Total Length E (mm) 60 Update/Add my own data
Customer Data
The weight is about 4-1/2 oz. Using a LIPO 3S @ 1800 maH battery.

If I can hang the plane, then I can gently land on the standard landing gear... or crash and burn on the landing?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM
wolfewinde

I usually make my own landing gear for GWS planes out of 1/2" - 1" flat aluminum stock that I bend to fit how I want. Just glue a small piece of hobby plywood to the bottom of the wing ( or fuse) and screw them in with a couple of screws.

I will be interested to see how your plane flies with that set up.

Wolfe
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM
tarheal63

Well I just bought 2 NIB kits, a Corsair and a 109. I got them off of the forums so I been doing tons of research on both planes. Lots of good advice out there, but the biggest thing I have seen in common with all of the suggestions is keep the build light. I look forward to these next builds. I really want to do them right.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Shredman

Default 1/2A Streerable Nose Gear

Here is a pic of what my friend advised me to use.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 AM
unitfreebie

Thanks for info on landing gears....

The wide aluminum gear on the wings seems pretty strong but I hope a hard landing doesn't tear up the wing as there is no give with the aluminum?

The 1/2A steerable nose gear looks good but I'm trying to visualize how it is mounted... I guess the round white nylon/plastic anchor plate mounts on the vertical firewall and the wire gear is inserted through the bottom cylinder and then is somehow bended 90 degrees out of the slot to attach to the servo arm via a pushrod wire; or did I get it wrong?

But I would think a good hard landing would strip the gears on the Servo, unless it was metal gears?

I am thinking, at least for the Corsair, to do what was said... use a heavier gauge wire bent 90 degrees and screwed to a plywood platform that is epoxied to the underside of the wing?

The stock GWS Corsair is about a pound (16 oz) using the stock brushed geared motor. The brushless motor will add about four oz to the total weight.

The stock NiCad battery is pretty heavy, so the LIPO will save some weight and give more power to the motor.

I don't plan to use all the power (450Watts) that the motor is capable of delivering... maybe just 250 Watts should be sufficient to get high performance.

The parts should be here in 2-3 weeks...
Old 05-30-2011, 04:39 AM
wolfewinde

Tarheal - grats on the new planes. Based on my experience, the Corsair is better behaved than the 109.

Bend the landing grear forward on the Corsair, though - she tends to tip forward easily which is hard on props and motor shafts. That landing gear is pretty weak anyways. If you can reinorce it with a second piece of wire, and especially if you can anchor the second wire a bit further back on the wing, you will be less prone to ripping out the LG.

Keep us posted

Wolfe
Old 05-30-2011, 04:45 AM
unitfreebie

Thanks for the tip on reinforcing the landing gear with a second wire... I will do that.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 AM
tarheal63

Well, I have already picked up a couple of mods, one is moving the LG forward almost to the leading edge, and the second is to slit a peice of CF tube, slip it around the wire and CA in place, got that one from Chellie. I am going to try to learn alot about these birds before I build them. I would like to learn from every one elses experience in them. I have some really good tips about both planes already. One of them I see the most, is build light. So, I will endeavor to do so.

I need to send a big thanks out to Greatplanes, as he got my bird shipped to me pronto and it arrived in great condition. Very happy with my purchase from him.

Happy Memorial Day everyone, and thank you to all of the service people who make this country great.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:46 AM
unitfreebie

......"and the second is to slit a peice of CF tube, slip it around the wire and CA in place, got that one from Chellie."....

YES! Thanks Chellie too for that idea !
Old 05-31-2011, 04:04 AM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

Tar, Good luck with the build. I am really fond of GWS warbirds myself, and have built quite a few. The F4U is a a great flier, and the only tricky bit is the battery hatch mod to clear bigger lipos. Other then that it's pretty much just follow the instructions and she will fly on rails. I belly land all my GWS's, so I can't comment on the landing gear issues. Light is best, but I still fly my clipped wing GWS based F2G Super and that one is a 24oz ROCK! (with 250 watts), so don't freak if you come in a little heavy. The lighter they are the wider the speed envelope them seem to have.
Here are just a few threads from the past..

A build thread of one of the newer models-

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&highlight=GWS

Weight listings-

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16531

The F2G for a laugh-

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2976
Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 AM
tarheal63

Well, I am putting in the 2409-12t in her that I have lying around, so hopefully power won't be an issue, I don't really want a hotrod, but enough power to get out of a jam is not a bad thing.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

the 2409-12 has a narrow prop range, 8/4 to 9/6 is all they'll take but they do haul the mail for there size,, I use um on my twin's and a spitfire MustangMans got nowbubsteve
PS,, 32 Oz of thrust with a 9/6 and a 3-cell 25-c
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	217529_214772105215974_100000495592743_831634_4262527_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	148920   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 538.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	148921   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 518.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	148922   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 674.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	148923  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 AM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

Tar, you won't have any issues with that motor/airframe set up. It will work just like you are expecting. Half throttle cruising with reserve power for when your in a bind. The ME109 I built my dad is still cooking, just flew it the other day. She is so light it slows to a walking pace for belly landings, and 109's are "tippier" then the F4U's. In fact I think it's safe to say a GWS with a TowerPro/BP-21 motor on 1300 mAh 11.1v is the best set up according to most folks.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 AM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

Bub Steve is right. I use a 8x4 myself. By the way, I personally find the bent wing makes her hard for me to track in the air some times. Just figured I would mention that, might not be an issue for you.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
wolfewinde

Heya Unit,

Did you get your planes in the air yet?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 AM
icarus46

Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
Well I just bought 2 NIB kits, a Corsair and a 109. I got them off of the forums so I been doing tons of research on both planes. Lots of good advice out there, but the biggest thing I have seen in common with all of the suggestions is keep the build light. I look forward to these next builds. I really want to do them right.
I have the Corsair, P-40 and ME-109. On the 109, the ailerons are so thin and flimsy I made new ones from balsa. It flies great with the eflite 450
Old 06-13-2011, 05:55 PM
tarheal63

Well, all I have done so far was pull all of my horizontals off and glass them with .75 and poly. It has made them very rigid, so I am hoping it will suffice. That is all I am going to glass initially, but I had also heard they were quite flimsy, and they were indeed.

Quick Reply: anyone flying a gws warbird?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16559 seconds with 17 queries