Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Center of Gravity of X-31 ?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 PM
trying2fly

Default Center of Gravity of X-31 ?

I am in process of building the X31. If someone has built this plane please tell me where your CG is and what size battery you used . The CG varies significantly from battery size(wt.) and placement. If you have pictures of your X31 showing where and what size your battery is.......that would be of an immense help. Thanx!!

Last edited by trying2fly; 12-30-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:40 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Put your wing dimensions into a CG calc program. it should get you in the ballpark.

There are several on the net.

I figured out a real strange plane one time, came out a lot different than the previous owner told me but it flew great.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 AM
Brner
AMA16634

Check your PM's....
Old 09-27-2018, 07:25 PM
trying2fly

Angry

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Put your wing dimensions into a CG calc program. it should get you in the ballpark.

There are several on the net.

I figured out a real strange plane one time, came out a lot different than the previous owner told me but it flew great.
I tried that and the "tail" presented problems because the plane really has no measurable horizontal stabilizer?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Neither did mine.

I have no idea what this thing is called.

In my DX8g2 I just named it Wing Thing.

Had a 40 nitro, I modded it to e-power. The PO showed me where he thought the CG was. I ran it though CG calc and moved it way forward for my maiden flight.

It flys great. There is not a rounded corner on it. It is made from 1" thick hard pink foam from Home Depot. The bottom is Hot Pink
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wing thing.jpg (804.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 09-28-2018, 02:41 PM
trying2fly

Neither did mine.

I have no idea what this thing is called.

In my DX8g2 I just named it Wing Thing.

Had a 40 nitro, I modded it to e-power. The PO showed me where he thought the CG was. I ran it though CG calc and moved it way forward for my maiden flight.

It flys great. There is not a rounded corner on it. It is made from 1" thick hard pink foam from Home Depot. The bottom is Hot Pink
It looks a great deal like a "Cheap-n-Easy...google it and take a look!!! Mine flew so well that the winds give it such lift that even with the motor wide open I could not bring it back. It went towards Mexico and I never saw it again!! I did get 2 fun flights but be careful in winds....mine is probably near Chihuahua or Salinas..chas Ps I am just going to finish building the X-31 and throwing it into tall grass and adjusting the CG that way as E-Calc is of no value to me with this plane!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:28 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I used this one, https://fwcg.3dzone.dk/

Your plane is basically a flying wing. The canard is small enough not to affect CG much in my opinion anyway.

I think my Wing Thing is quite a bit heavier than the Cheap-n-Easy. With a 40 nitro or equal power electric it WILL cut through the wind. Probably flys 60mph or more.

I will at some time, measure it up and draw plans. It's just a flat chunk of pink foam with a plywood box in the middle to hide the gear. That could be done many ways. It has a thin plywood strip around the edge to toughen it up. I don't know if the wing strakes on the top are functional or not
Old 09-28-2018, 04:45 PM
trying2fly

Your plane is basically a flying wing. The canard is small enough not to affect CG much in my opinion anyway.

I think my Wing Thing is quite a bit heavier than the Cheap-n-Easy. With a 40 nitro or equal power electric it WILL cut through the wind. Probably flys 60mph or more.

I will at some time, measure it up and draw plans. It's just a flat chunk of pink foam with a plywood box in the middle to hide the gear. That could be done many ways. It has a thin plywood strip around the edge to toughen it up. I don't know if the wing strakes on the top are functional or not
I don't know if I currently have a power plant to fly your wing thing unless I stuck with Dollar Tree Foam. I am going to give it try because I really like yours. I will post a pic when finished ...probably tomorrow. I really like the CG calculator you enclosed thanx...chas
Old 09-28-2018, 04:57 PM
trying2fly

Here is pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cheap and Easy (1).pdf (920.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I might build a Cheap-n-Easy to fly in the cul-de-sac in front of my house.

This plane I have is very different, it takes a large area to fly, it is much heavier and faster than the 6mm depron could ever handle. It is however a cheap plane to build. You can get, I think about 4 from one sheet of pink foam, if cut carefully.

I will figure out plans and cutting.

Good luck with your X-31

I found this; https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...g?d=1146809438

Even though your plane is a mid prop pusher jet, the CG will have to be close to this plan. It's largely the shape of every thing that determines the CG
Old 09-28-2018, 08:19 PM
trying2fly

Thank you for the prop pusher X-31 pic. It does give a ball park figure of where CG should be. The Cheap and Easy would be perfect for a large front yd or a cul de sac. It will turn on a dime and float almost to a standstill. chas Ps I used Dollar Tree Foam, 2200 KVP motor,1300 mah battery and a 6x4 prop. If you want it to go...it will!!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

That was just one plan I saw.
If you simply Google almost any airplane and add, RC plans to the name. You probably will find plans for it. I searched for --- x-31 RC plans

There are many sources for plans such as ; Aerofred.com, Outerzone.com, and others that specialize in types like foamie plans.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 PM
trying2fly

That was just one plan I saw.
If you simply Google almost any airplane and add, RC plans to the name. You probably will find plans for it. I searched for --- x-31 RC plans

There are many sources for plans such as ; Aerofred.com, Outerzone.com, and others that specialize in types like foamie plans.

SUPER!!!!!!!!!!! thank you a lot for the tip. S00000000000000000 MUCH i DONT KNOW!! You have been a great help!! chas